Part Twenty-Six: Dongwoo

The Words Unsaid
Part Twenty-Six
Dongwoo

 

“Finally,” I mumbled to myself as we reached the little town below the mountain.
My stomach was screaming in hunger but I knew we couldn’t stop when we were this close to helping Sungjong.
“First we need to buy some supplies for our trip. There is a bus that is coming in a half hour so we need to h-“
“DOCTOR THANK GOD!” an older woman wearing dirty clothes came running up to us. Her face was full of panic as she grabbed Dr. Woonah arm.
“What’s the matter,” Dr. Woonah asked as he scanned the women’s face.
“My daughter she needs help,” the women said trying to lead Dr. Woonah somewhere.
“Where are you going,” I walked after them.
“What’s the matter with your daughter,” Dr. Woonah asked calmly.
“She fell out of a tree into some rocks and now she’s bleeding really bad. I can’t stop it!” the women cried to Dr. Woonah.
“Doctor,” I shouted but he kept on following the woman.
We were near a very old house the type of house you would only see in the countryside. There was a crowd of people outside as if they were waiting for us.
“DOCTOR!” I shouted grabbing his arm.
“Dongwoo what?!” Dr. Woonah snapped.
“What about Sungjong and the bus?” I asked him.
Dr. Woonah looked at me like I had two heads. “She needs help Dongwoo.”
“But-“
“Stay out here,” he ordered me.
“But he’s going to die!” I yelled.
“She’s going to die first now stop being selfish and wait out here,” he ordered me again and before I could say anything he walked into the crowd.
“Dr. Woonah!” I shouted but my words were unheard.
“,” I mumbled to myself.
The crowd of people was now staring at me with judgmental eyes as if I was in the wrong.
“I eh,” I turn away and started to run down the dirt road.
What was I doing?
What was I doing?
Dongwoo when did you turn into a person who didn’t care about others?
I let out a scream as I threw myself down onto someone’s porch.  I placed my head into my hands as I let out groan.
What am I doing here?
What if we miss the bus?
I wanted to scream and jump up and down but I doubt that would help anything.
I pulled out my cell phone it was almost dead and I had turned it off to save energy but I needed to call home. My Umma is probably worried about me.
I dialed in a number I knew all too well and I placed the phone up to my ear.
It rang twice before I heard her voice.
“Umma,” my voice came out sharp as if I was about to break.
“Dongwoo,” she sighed into the phone.
“Umma,” I said once again. “I found him,”
“You did,” she replied shocked.
“Yes he’s coming back with me,” I told her. “He’s going to fix everything.”
“Don’t get your hopes up Dongwoo,” she warned me.
“If you don’t have hope then nothing good will happen,” I replied. “But how are things in Seoul?”
“Good,” she answered simply.
“What’s wrong,” I asked right away
“Nothing,” she answered too quickly.
“Now something is really wrong,” I told her.
“Why do you think that?” she asked me.
“Because last time you said things were good my dog was hit by a car,” I informed her.
“I’m not sure if I should tell you this,” my umma sighed into the phone.
“It’s Sungjong,” I stammered into the phone.
I was too late.
“He died didn’t he,” I uttered my worst fears.
“Oh no honey,” my umma’s words sent relief through my whole body.
“Then what is it?” I asked her.
“It’s Myungsoo darling,” she told me.
“What about him?” I questioned her.
“He passed out at a runway show,” she finally told me.
“Is he okay? When did this happen? Did he-“
“He’s okay calm down,” she interrupted me. “According to the news he’s taking it easy.”
“But-“
“I know you want to fix everything Dongwoo but you can’t. Are you taking care of yourself?” she asked me.
“Yes Umma,” I answered her but my thoughts were still stuck on Myungsoo.
“Are you eating well?” she asked me.
“Yes,” I lied.
“Are you cold?” she asked me.
“No I’m wearing my jacket. Don’t worry too much I’m taking care of myself. I should be back in Seoul tomorrow,” I told her.
“Good when you get home I’ll make you your favorite dishes,” she told me. “I will have to meet this doctor.”
“You will Umma,” I promised her although I couldn’t see a person like Dr. Woonha at my family’s restaurant.
“Listen honey I have to go were really busy at the restaurant. Promise to call me later on and tell me how things are going or else I’ll come and find you,” she told me in a threating voice.
“I will,” I laughed.
“I love you,” she told me.
“I love you too Umma,” I replied her then I hanged up the phone.
Myungsoo.
My heart broke into a million pieces as I felt tears roll down my face.
I should have been there for him. He should have told the managers that he wasn’t feeling good?
Why didn’t he tell someone that he wasn’t feeling good?
My heartfelt heavy as I dialed Myungsoo’s number into my cell phone.
Ring….Ring….Ring….Ring….Ring…Ring….
“Hello,
The person you are dialing is unavailable please leave a message after the beep….BEEP
“Oh h-hi this is Dongwoo are you okay? I heard what happen during the runway and I wanted to see if you are okay? Well of course you are not okay you wouldn’t have fainted if you were okay. Anyways call me when you get this okay? I’m here for you Myungsoo and even though I’m not in Seoul I’m still here for you. You’re my brother and I don-
BEEP
To listen to you message please press one. To send a page please press t-
“Dongwoo,” a voice called.
I looked up to see a young boy wearing a stripped shirt and a pair of dirty jeans.
“Are you Dongwoo?” he asked me in a thick accent.
“Yes,” I replied as I hanged up the phone and placed it into my pocket.
“Doctor Woonah needs you,” he told me. “Follow me.”
“What?” I replied but I still followed the boy.
“Why does he need me?” I asked him once again. The boy replied in a thick accent making it hard to understand what he was saying.
It didn’t take long before we made it back to the house. Most of the crowd had left and now only a handful of people was surrounded the house. It almost felt like they were there to protect the house.
The boy said something to the crowd and they moved aside to let us enter the house.
The house was warm and the smell of wood burning made me feel like I was at a camping trip. We entered into a living room where old and young women were crying together. They looked up at me and nodded. We passed into the kitchen where three men were sitting at a table drinking soju.
I was led into a hallway with two doors then the younger boy open up the first door. I walked into the room quickly not sure why I was here. The room was covered in posters of boy bands and I could help but feel jealous that Infinite wasn’t there. There was desk covered in notebooks and a man sitting in a computer chair talking in a thick accent.  Across the room was Dr. Woonah staring down at a young girl who was curled up into a ball.
“Dr. Woonah,” I called for him.
He looked up and beckoned me forward.
 “Dongwoo I need your help,” Dr. Woonah told me.
The young girl was covered in blood that clashed onto her bed sheets. I bite my lips tightly to stop the scream. It was only till I could see her chest moving up and down did I realize that she was still alive.
“My help,” I uttered out.
“She’s really hurt,” Dr. Woonah informed me.
“What?” I replied still in awe.
“She has deep lacerations on her chest and a two broken ribs and I’m pretty sure her arm is broken. I brought some of my tools but I still need your help,” Dr. Woonah told me.
“Why me?” I asked him staring at the poor girl.
“Because no one around here understands me!” he shouted looking around the room. “Are you going to help save her or kill her.”
“I eh,” I stare down at the girl. She had to be close to Sungjong’s age or a little younger. “What do you need.”
Woonah spewed out a list of items half of them I would have forgotten if this wasn’t an emergency.
“GO!” he shouted.
I took off running and that is how I became a nurse.
 
We missed the bus.
“Done,” Woonah said as he cut the thread.
I collapsed on the ground letting my breath come out heavy. Tears were streaming down my face as I tried to comprehend what just happen.
“Good job,” Dr. Woonah said then he slid down next to me and he took off his gloves.
I pulled off the apron and the baggy tee shirt that was covered in drops of blood. I never thought handing someone tools would be so tiring. Tears were trailing down my cheeks and I wasn’t sure why.
Was it from relief of saving a life or was it from missing that bus?
I wasn’t sure.
“You did good kid,” Dr. Woonah told me as he patted my shoulder. “I thought you were selfish but you really proved me wrong.”
I nodded too tired to even say another word.
The door open suddenly revealing man wearing green vests they stopped in the doorway and stood in awe.
“What are you doing hurry up!” Dr. Woonah shouted standing up.
“But..” one of the guys said looking at the blood stained sheets.
“I’m a Doctor!” he screamed. Then he started to scream out random medical terms that seem to snap them out of their state.
“Why don’t you go wash up,” Dr. Woonah told me.
“But what about her,” I said trying not to stare at bloody mess on the bed sheet.
“She’s stable,” he told me.
“Bu-“
“Go wash up or I’ll throw you in the river,” Dr. Woonah threaten me.
I nodded and pushed myself into a standing position. I gave one last look at the young girl before I exited the room.
As soon as I open the door the girl’s mother ran up to me and grabbed my arms roughly almost sending me to the ground.
“My daughter,” she cried shaking my whole body.
“She’s fine.”
As soon as those words left my mouth she took off running towards the room followed by an older man.
“Bathroom?” I said to no one in peculiar when I reached the kitchen. An older woman pointed to a door next to the sink.
I bowed then I entered the door that led to a small bathroom. I shut the door quietly and looked up at the small mirror.
My eyes were wide and there was smudges of blood on my face that made me look like a killer.  If the members could see me now they still wouldn’t be able to believe me.
A dinosaur doing sur-
I almost didn’t bend over in time to let the vile in my stomach slide in to the sink. I the water and quickly swallowed it to get rid of the taste.
What if I messed up and she died?
Don’t think about that Dongwoo I ordered myself as I splashed cold water on to my face. When I looked back up at the mirror I noticed that the blood was now gone just leaving my tired looking face.
There was a knock on the door.
“Yes,” I answered.
The door opens revealing Dr. Woonah who was now changed out of his bloodly clothes.
“You did good kid,” he told me once again smiling.
“Will she be okay?” I asked him the one questioned I wanted to know.
“Yes,” he answered me firmly.
Relief was sent down my spine and I almost closed my eyes and fell asleep right there.
“I’m sorry that we missed the bus,” Dr. Woonah told me.
“It’s okay,” I said disappointed.
“We’ll just have to catch the next one in thirty minutes,” Woonah said.
“Wait what?” I shouted looking at him with wide eyes.
“The next bus it comes in eh thirty minutes,” he said once again.
“Why did you tell me? I thought they only came twice a day,” I said almost crazily.
He shrugged. “I guessed you didn’t know.”
“So you’re really going to come and help?” I asked him.
“Yes but like I said before I can’t promise anything,” he told me.
I nodded but to be honest I was already imaging Sungjong’s eyes opening. If he could save that girl then he could save Sungjong.
“Let’s eat some food before we start our travels,” Dr. Woonah suggested.
I grabbed my stomach. “Actually I don’t feel too well.”
He looked over to the sink where he could see chunks of my breakfast.
“Aw don’t worry the first time I did surgery I fainted,” he laughed. “Come out when you’re ready.”
I nodded and Dr. Woonah closed the door leaving me alone.
We are going to save him.
“Are you serious?” I asked looking around the dusk filled room.
“What? It’s my old clinic,” Dr. Woonah said as he moved papers on his desk to the trash.
“This dump was your clinic?” I asked looking around wide eyed. The clinic itself looked like it closed before I was born. There was four blue bed set up on the right side of the room each one of them had their own ratty curtain.  Right across the beds was a walk in closet with a bunch of shelves and two old refrigerators. Dr. Woonah said that is where they kept all the supplies. Next to the closet was a door that led to the basement where Dr. Woonah said they held all the equipment although I wouldn’t know since I wouldn’t dare go down those stairs.
Across the room was a desk and a chair and that is where Dr. Woonah would do office work. The place was small and smelt really bad.
“This is where we are going to treat Sungjong,” Dr. Woonah informed me.
“In this dump!”
Dr. Woonah shot me a look that sent a thousand words.
“Sorry,” I bowed apologetic.
“Here you go,” he laughed handing me a broom.
“What is this for?” I asked him.
“To sweep,” he said smiling.
Then it slowly dawn on me. “I’m going to be cleaning!”
“Yes you are I need to go talk to my friend about getting some new equipment,” he told me.
“Wait you can’t leave me here,” I shouted scared.
“I’ll only be a few hours,” he told me as he placed a bucket full of cleaning supplies onto the table.
“But what if there a ghost here!” I screamed coming closer to him.
“You’ll be fine only a couple people have died in here,” he told me.
My heart beat quickly as my eyes grew wide.
“What no now you can’t leave me,” I pled with him.
 “You will be fine,” Dr. Woonah laughed as he closed the door.
“Wait,” I shouted my last last plea for help but he was already gone.
Now I was alone in this creepy room where I’m going to get murder.
I grabbed ahold of the broom tightly as if it was going to fly out of my hands. I took a deep breath and started to get to work.
The quicker I work then the quicker I can leave this place.
I was almost done cleaning off Dr. Woonah’s desk when I heard the noise. It sounded like something dragging on the ground like a body. I ignored it and tried to clean the floor faster.
BANG BANG POOF
I jumped and looked towards the basement door. It seemed like it was coming from there.
No it can’t be.
“Dongwoo,” a voice screamed sending chills down my spine.
“Who’s there!” I shouted but there was no replied instead I heard the basement door wiggle.
I dropped the rag and bottle of cleaner to the floor and quickly ran to the door. I pulled it open but it wouldn’t budge.
No!
I can’t die like this!
I scanned the room and found the door to the supply closet.
Screw the basement I said to myself as I ran towards the closet door.
I threw myself inside when it suddenly hit me that I had my cell phone with me. But what if whatever it is hears me?
I’m going to die I thought to myself as my whole body shook.
Footsteps.
Yes I swear I can hear someone walking in the office now. I push myself as far back as I could go but this place wasn’t the best hiding spot. It was a open square with no windows or items to hide behind.
Suddenly without warning the door open and I let out a loud scream. I fell to the floor letting my body shake from side to side.
“Coming out of the closet are you,” Dr. Woonah winked.
“That’s not funny you shouldn’t scare me!” I shouted holding my heart.
“I should be saying the same thing to you. Hiding in a closet? What type of boy are you?” he asked me.
“I thought I heard a ghost,” I told him scared.
“A ghost?” he asked me.
“Yeah,” I answered.
“Dongwoo the only person who died in here wasn’t even a person it was dog that passed away from old age,” he told me smiling.
“You lied,” I shouted.
“It happens,” he shrugs. “Good job cleaning we should have all the equipment tonight and Sungjong can be moved tomorrow morning,” he told me.
“Are you sure this is going to work?” I asked him staring at the room.
“Like I said before I can’t promise you anything,” he told me once again.
“I know I know,” I said but I couldn’t help but to be hopeful. This is the chance that we have all been waiting for and I just knew that he was going to help Sungjong.
 
My eyes felt tired as I sat in the waiting room waiting for Sungjong to come in. I couldn’t sleep last night actually who could if they were in my situation? He was going to be here any minute now!
What if this didn’t work? I had to keep faith because one negative thought could change the outcome. Sungjong’s parents had finally let us save Sungjong’s and if we failed then that was the end.
No Dongwoo don’t think that way!
He will get better!
The door slid open and I stood up from my seat quickly. I could see his legs then his chest then finally his pale face. Behind him came the machines that made random beeps and bops. The nurse pushing Sungjong gave me a bow with a slight smile. I couldn’t smile back I just stared at Sungjong’s face. He looked even paler then before was that even possible?
“You did it,” someone said from behind me.
I turned around to see the Doctor who started it all. “Dr. Park.”
“I see you were crazy enough to get help,” he said smirking. “I have to admit when I heard that Dr. Woonah had said yes I didn’t believe them.”
“Well he’s here,” I told him proudly.
“Well kid I wish you luck and don’t forget to mention my name to him,” Dr. Park nudged me.
“I won’t sir,” I bowed. “Sir?”
“Yes?” he answered me.
“Is this going to work?” I asked him. I knew that Dr. Woonah said that he couldn’t make any promises but I didn’t believe him. He seemed far to humbled when talking about his medical skills.
“Listen I’m not going to lie. You are giving your friend a fighting chance to survive but it’s up to him. It’s up to him if he wants to stay or go,” he informed me.
“He’s going to fight,” I told him.
“I hope he will,” Dr. Park nodded as he walked into the clinic.
H’s a fighter.
I walked towards the clinic but I stopped.
“What if I’m going to kill him?” I mumbled to myself. “What if I’m going to save him?”
I pulled out my cellphone.
I needed his advice I needed to know if I was doing something okay.  I needed him here I needed them all here.
I placed the phone up to my ear as I let my feet rock back and forth.
“WHAT?!” the voice screamed in my ear causing me to almost fall backwards.
Did I get the wrong number?
“H-Hoya?” I sputtered out.

Author Notes: 

I honestly don’t have excuses for me not posting in such a long time. I wanted to take a month off to write which I did then I ended up accidently deleted four chapters which kind of squash my motivation but recently I’ve been finding the drive to complete this story. I have already written maybe ten new chapters. Thank you those who are still willing to wait for me! By the way am I the only one excited to see Dongwoo on running man?!

-Morgan