Degaussing: Long Distance

Magnet

Degaussing is the process of decreasing or eliminating a remnant magnetic field.

 

 

“Look at this charming young man.” A man in a white coat greeted his guests. He lifted up from his working chair while he pulled his lips together, making a gentle smile.

From the sight of his working table, anyone would assume that he’s living a healthy lifestyle. Fresh water with a lot of lemons in a big transparent jug was on the right area of the table, not far from a glass, and mix sliced fruits in a fancy looking bowl. Small jar of dried almonds and cranberries was also placed neatly on his table.

 

“How are you dr. Choi?” One of the guests, the one with a blonde hair, replied back. He was walking closer to the said Doctor.

 

Dr. Choi opened his arms and welcomed the blonde with a hug. “Why it always feel like a first time everytime I see you, nephew?” He pulled a little from the sharing embrace to look at the other. A smile was the first reaction shown from the blonde boy.

 

“What do you mean Doctor?” the blonde asked, pretty much clueless with the older’s words.

 

“It means… He always mesmerized by you everytime he meets you.” The Doctor’s other guest interrupted. He stopped his walk and stood beside the blonde.

“Long time no see, Doctor.” He turned his head from the blonde to the Doctor and smiled.

 

Dr. Choi released the embrace and turned to the newly speaker. “How are you dr. Leeteuk?”

 

Leeteuk startled in surprise for few seconds, before he finally replied. “It’s been a while someone calling me with my title.” He chortled and continued. “You just reminded me that I’m also a Medical Specialist. We’re doing great by the way.”

 

Small laugh was coming along from dr. Choi when he responded. “You’re too busy becoming Lee Sungmin’s family than doing your job as praticioner.” The man brushed the blonde’s crown lightly with his hand.

“Yes, I can see all of you doing well.” He took a glance to a big guy standing far behind Leeteuk and made a smile to him.

“Come, let’s have a little reunion before we start the check-up procedures and treatment.” The doctor led the three guests to a sitting lounge area not far from his working table. They took a sit close to each other on the comfortable looking couch.

 

Choi Soojong, is 45 years old Neurologist whom married Lee Heera, the younger sister of Lee Sunghyun, Lee Sungmin’s father. His marriage with Lee Heera gave birth to a son, making him Sungmin’s cousin. Anyone would be fooled about the doctor’s age by the look of his face and physical appearance. Only one single wrinkle shown on his face meanwhile his back palm and neck were visibly tender. He seemed never growing old, or, at least his aging process was three times slower than most people. It turned out that his healthy lifestyle took a great effect on him.

 

The good-looking medical specialist was very famous in his field, widely appreciated as the best Neurologist in South Korea. Not only curing people with nervous system disorders–including diseases of the brain, spinal cord, nerves and muscles–Choi Soojong was also an active scientist and researcher in The World Board of Neurologist. Together with his wife, who was a famous nutritionist in the country, they built Poseidon Hospital, a home-comfortable-looking hospital, located in Dokdo Island–the easternmost end of South Korea’s territory. It was the largest hospital, taking the whole island territory with a home environment concept for patients, and it provided small villas for their VIP’s. Lee Sungmin was one of it.

 

“Doctor, how is my handsome cousin doing in America?” Sungmin, who smiled when they already settled on the couch, started the conversation with a bright face, suddenly lifting up the mood in the room.

 

“He is…” Dr. Choi was a little hesitant to finish his answer. “…well.”

 

Sungmin’s forehead was frowned a little in suspicion. “And… You seemed…unwell when you answered.”

 

Dr. Choi released a tiring sigh in response before he continued. “He started an acting career…in which your aunt and I disagreed upon it.”

 

“Siwon-ah?! An actor?!!” The blonde raised his eyebrows in surprise. “Last time I heard, he’s taking business school in University of Notre Dame.”

 

Another sigh was out from the Doctor’s lips. “He dropped his study six months ago, and started busying himself with acting in several movies.” He palmed his forehead slightly before continued further. “He decided everything by himself, without discussing it with us. Your aunt is still upset. She neglected all of Siwon’s calls and gifts from America.”

 

The blonde showed a caring gesture by holding the Doctor’s right knee. “But Uncle, Siwon has talent and potential in acting and modelling. I think he will make a great future in entertainment industry.” Placing his looks on the older, he made a sympathy smile to the Doctor.

 

“Well, if he’s very serious in that field, I’ll lose my successor and need to find another person to run this hospital.” Dr. Choi looked back to the blonde. His eyes narrowed a little, as if trying to say something. “Sungmin, can you do a favor for me?”

 

While a smile still stayed on his face, the blonde nodded to the Doctor.

 

“You’re close with him, and he listens to you most of the time. You’re the perfect person to give him advice about inheriting business. Can you talk to him?”

 

Only looking at the Doctor, nothing came out from his lips. Sungmin didn’t respond anything.

 

“You’re a perfect example since you’re in the right track to continue what your father has built. You have great scores in studying, you’re Student Council President in High School, good looking and well-mannered. People will only have good impressions if they hear your name.”

 

Usually, Sungmin would deny all of those ‘exaggerating’ descriptions right away, however this time, he went silent. That request confounded him. At one side, he knew his cousin well. Siwon is a kind-hearted person who never wants to disappoint his parents, especially his Mother. If he decided something so important without involving his parents, he must have calculated the consequences.

 

Inheriting and becoming a successor.

Those things forced children to play at a stage setting up by the parents. He and his cousin, also most of their friends, didn’t have a choice. Becoming a part of respectable family and high class society had its own curse. Their parents decided everything from their character, their script and their storyline for a play, known as life, their life. They must spoke fondly, acted carefully, presented flawlessly and decided responsibly. Freedom to decide something on freewill would become a glimpse of heaven for them. They were forbidden to decide by their own until they became the head of the family. It’s a price that they needed to pay for having an easy-luxurious lifestyle.

Sungmin knew about it, thus he understood his cousin’s situation. One time, few years ago, Siwon had mentioned about having an alter ego as an actor to him. But the blonde didn’t expect that it would happen, that Siwon was really serious becoming his alter ego.

 

On the other side, Sungmin didn’t have a heart to refuse his uncle’s request, especially when the Doctor always treated him so dearly and comfortably in every checking-up sessions.

 

“I’ll try talking to him Uncle.” The blonde finally decided. Talking won’t hurt anyone. Sungmin just wanted to know about Siwon’s side story, not forcing or begging his cousin to do something.

 

Dr. Choi placed his hand over the blonde’s, holding it, as he smiled. “Thank you, Sungmin. It’ll be a great help for me.”

 

Sungmin was pulling his lips, replying the smile to the Doctor. “I can’t guarantee anything though.”

 

“I know.” Dr. Choi released Sungmin’s hand. He repositioned his seat before he started to speak again. “Now, about your check up… I heard you had those dreams quite often since the last checking-up in here?”

 

The blonde nodded before he spoke. “Yes. Five times Doc.”

 

“And your head?”

 

“It hurted a lot afterwards. Everytime I woke up from those dreams, my head got really painful and heavy. Like a hammer banging on my head and it made me dizzy.” The blonde explained.

 

“More painful than before?” Dr. Choi asked again.

 

“Yes. It worsened.”

 

The doctor was frowning with the blonde’s answer. His forehead crumpled, as if hearing something impossible, or unexpected. After few seconds, he finally spoke again. “Okay. You must be tired from the exam and the flight. Let me have a talk with dr. Leeteuk, and you can have a rest in your villa.”

 

“Okay, thank you Doctor.”

 

*****

 

17.13 pm

To: Kyu-Hyung

Hyung, what happened with your phone? I tried to call you several times. Have you read my messages? I sent you three messages before.

I’m sorry Hyung.

 

17.33 pm

To: Kyu-Hyung

Hyung, I still can’t reach you. Are you mad? I’m sorry…

 

17.57 pm

To: Kyu-Hyung

Hyung, are you switching off your phone on purpose? Sorry I left without waiting for you to finish your exam.

 

18.07 pm

To: Kyu-Hyung

Kyu-Hyung, please call me when you read this. I’m worried.

 

18.13 pm

To: Kyu-Hyung

Kyu-Hyung, are you still mad?

 

18.20 pm

To: Kyu-Hyung

Hyung… I need to talk to you… Please call me immediately when you read this.

 

18.37 pm

To: Kyu-Hyung

Kyu-Hyung… Where are you? I want to talk…

 

19.07 pm

To: Kyu-Hyung

Hyung, I have brain damage, and I will have surgery tomorrow.

I want to hear your voice Hyung…

 

19.08 pm

To: Kyu-Hyung

Kyu-Hyung… Please, let me hear your voice…

 

*****

 

“Did you give him something?” Dr. Choi asked as he placed a cup of tea in front of Leeteuk. He was walking to his working chair when the man-being-asked responded.

 

“Only pain killers Doc. He didn’t show any irregularities except the pain after those dreams. So, I don’t write any prescription for him.” The Psychiatrist took the cup and sipped it.

 

“Yes, I agree.” Dr. Choi answered as he sat down onto his chair.

 

“Those occurring dreams… Is it related to his childhood memory loss Doc?” Leeteuk asked in suspecting tone. “Because he told me that, in two of those five dreams, he saw a small boy, around 5 years old, giving him a blue bracelet… Do you think it has connection?”

 

Dr. Choi breaded his fingers together, looking calm and thoughtful in his seat. “Hmm… We’ll find out tomorrow. My brief diagnose is regular clash of neural system and brain. He might be, unconsciously, using the nerves to force his brain in remembering about something. It’s usually trigerred by irregular experiences. Is he having somekind of new excitement things in his life recently?”

 

Leeteuk made a small smile. He was trying his best to look undisturbed by the question. “Well, you know Doc, teenagers in his age are experiencing ‘the raging hormones’ period. Of course it’s applied for him too.”

Yes, even dr. Choi is Sungmin’s Neurologist since childhood, but he’s also the blonde’s uncle by marriage. Leeteuk needed to be careful in saying things to the Doctor, especially about Sungmin’s gay relationship with the brat. If the Doctor knew, he might tell Sungmin’s father right away. Giving information to Sungmin’s father was the least thing Leeteuk wanted. Therefore, if Lee Sunghyun knew, it must be discovered from other people, not from Leeteuk or Kangin.

 

Soft hummed coming from dr. Choi while he was writing a report of their discussion.

 

Leeteuk was watching the Doctor in front of him when he decided to speak again. “Doctor, can I have Sungmin’s complete medical record since the first time you diagnosed him to his current state?”

 

Dr. Choi stopped the pen in his hand from writing any further and looked up to the young Psychiatrist in front of him. “Do you have permission from his father? May I see it?”

 

“Well… No, Doc. I-”

 

“Then why do you need it?” Before Leeteuk finished his sentence, the older cut him right away. “I always write a brief summary relating to your field specialization as his Psychiatrist everytime he receives my treatment.” He added.

 

Leeteuk straightened his body on his seating position. “Well, Sungmin’s case is interesting for me.” He pulled his lips together, making a smile.

“With all due respect, I don’t have any intention to exceed your competence and position as his Neurologist. But his childhood memory loss is making me curious.”

 

Dr. Choi putted his pen on the table and clasped his hand together, making a formal gesture. “And with all due respect, as a doctor yourself, you should’ve known about the confidentiality of patient’s medical record. We’re sworn under our profession to keep a patient’s diagnosis. For my nephew’s case, it’s all depending on his father.”

 

Leeteuk went silent, only throwing his look on the older who gave the same gesture to him.

 

Dr. Choi finally broke the eye contact and took his pen from the table. “Rest assured dr. Leeteuk. As Lee Sungmin’s uncle, I will try my best to take care of him.” He started writing on his report again, resuming the previous work. “And as his personal Neurologist, I will give you information relating to your scope of work as his Psychiatrist.”

 

*****

 

*beeeepp*

A call waiting tone was heard.

 

*beeeepp*

It was repeated.

 

*beeeepp*

Another call waiting tone repeated.

 

“Hyung!” The tone ended when a voice came from the other line.

 

“Where are you?!”

 

“I'm ha-”

 

“Answer me! Where are you?! I’m coming there!” Heavy tone was cutting the other line to speak any further.

 

Rather than answering correctly, soft giggles were coming from the phone.

 

Kyuhyun wrinkled his forehead in response. “Min…”

 

Sungmin’s giggling voice continued for good several seconds until Kyuhyun spoke again. “ Min!! What’s going on?! Don’t tell me it’s a prank?!”

 

“I-I’m sorry…” Sungmin’s voice was weak in between his small laugh.

 

“ you! It’s not funny!” Kyuhyun fisted his hair in a stress. “I really mean it Min. It’s not funny at all!!” He growled.

 

“I…” Sungmin’s voice was fainting away for few seconds. “I’m sorry Hyung…”

 

“You know how your messages scared me to death?! I was stressed out when I read it!!” The rebel scolded.

 

Nothing came from Sungmin’s telephone line. The blonde chose to be silent.

 

In that situation, Kyuhyun released a heavy sigh before he continued to speak again. “You’re making me worried, Min.” His tone was much calmer than before.

 

“I know, sorry…” Sungmin finally responded.

 

“Never said that kind of joke anymore! Do you hear me?”

 

“Yes, I won’t.”

 

“First you left me at School, not even waiting for me to say goodbye. And now you’re making fun of me by telling lies. You’re pissing me off twice, you know!” The rebel turned the phone from the left to his right ear. He also tightened his grip of the gadget.

 

“And I’m sorry again…”

 

“ you Lee Sungmin!”

 

“Sorry it won’t be possible, I’m far from you.” Soft chuckles came out along with the blonde’s reply. Kyuhyun, who seemed more loosened than before, also chortled lightly.

“For your information Hyung, it wasn’t completely lies. It was the truth except for the brain damage and surgery.”

 

“Are you worried about me not giving any news to you?”

 

“Of course.”

 

“Do you still want to hear my voice?”

 

“Very much.”

 

“Do you think I was mad at you?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I got really pissed when I read your first message. Then my phone ran out of battery.”

 

“And I’m worried because you couldn’t be reached.”

 

“I’m sorry too Miin-ah…”

 

“It’s alright, at least, I finally heard your voice Hyung…” By the sound of Sungmin’s soft breath, Kyuhyun knew that the blonde was making a smile on the other line.

 

“Not only hearing your voice, I also want to see your face Min.”

 

“You are? We can do video chat.”

 

“I want to smell your odor.” Kyuhyun closed his eyes when he spoke.

 

“I want to hear your husky voice whispering close to my ear.”

 

“I want to see your pouts when I made fun of you.” Kyuhyun said, while closing his eyes, he was pulling his lips to make a little smile.

 

“I want to see your expression when you got jealous.”

 

“I want to kiss you until your lips swollen.”

 

“I want to circle my arms around your neck when you kissed me.”

 

“I want to feel your warmth in my arms.”

 

“I want to feel secured in your embrace.”

 

“I ing miss you Miin-ah…” The rebel’s voice suddenly soared, showing his strong yet helpless state.

 

“I miss you a lot Kyu-Hyung…”

 

Kyuhyun and Sungmin’s conversation turned silence for a while. No one said anything in couple of seconds. It’s not until Sungmin’s small laugh coming from the other line.

 

“Hyung… It’s not even a day…”

 

Sungmin’s words made Kyuhyun chuckling in response. “Right. And you’re an idiot for missing me already.” The rebel finally spoke.

 

“And you’re crazy for missing an idiot person…”

 

Both of them were laughing afterwards. It wasn’t funny for other people. But for an idiot and a crazy person speaking on the phone, it was hilarious.

 

After getting tired from laughing, Kyuhyun said again. “Talk to me Min, anything…” He was walking to his bed.

 

“Umm… What are you going to do tomorrow?”

 

The rebel dropped his body onto the mattress as he answered. “My mom called, I’m going back to Dukryang tomorrow.” He said lazily. “And you?” Kyuhyun turned his body around to lie on his stomach.

 

“My check-up procedures are tomorrow.”

 

“What will they do to you in this kind of regular check up?” The rebel asked before buried his face onto the pillow.

 

“Every part of my body will be scanned from head to toe for several hours.”

 

“Do they drug you?” The rebel mumbled on his pillow.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Are you going to be ?” Kyuhyun’s voice was grumbling

 

“Of course.”

 

“ them!”

 

The blonde was chuckling merrily in reply.

 

“Aanndd…” Kyuhyun’s voice was trailing off.

 

“Then, they will make me listening to several voices for hours before asking questions. Afterwards, they will do several small tests on me.”

 

The older was humming to his phone as his consciousness started to fade away. He was drifting off to sleep slowly.

 

“Well, I’ve been doing this since childhood regularly, twice a year. My Doctor said this is necessary to regain my childhood memory. And sometimes, if they find something unusual from my brain or neural systems, I’ll be having a special teraphy.”

 

Kyuhyun didn’t voice anything out for the blonde in response.

 

“What about you Hyung? What are you going to do in Dukryang?”

 

It was silence for few seconds before the blonde spoke again from the phone.

 

“Hyung…”

 

Soft snores coming from Kyuhyun finally reached the blonde’s ear, making him wondering. “You’re sleeping already?”

 

The rebel’s snores were getting louder as if giving an answer for the other.

 

Soft laugh was heard before calming voice emerged. “Good night Kyu-Hyung… Have a crazy sleep.”

 

 

*****
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
a/n: Oohhh!!!!
 
*nah, I'm just being overly dramatic*
 
I'll let you assume many things from this chapter...
As usual, thank you for sharing your thought with me, especially to my friends who spazzing about Othello. Long live Shakespeare! And yeah, two friends in here suddenly told me that they dreamt about me, oh wouww, I was truly surprised, let me haunted you once again then. Hohohoho...
Ok, I'll stop... Err... Hope you enjoy?