Magnetic Monopole: The South Pole

Magnet

magnetic monopole is a hypothetical particle (or class of particles) that has, as its name suggests, only one magnetic pole (either a north pole or a south pole)

 

 

According to the President of Student Council/Bodies, morning scene at the lobby of Royal Sapphire High School was always breath-taking. The lobby was semi-outdoor, located at the center point of the whole school area, few meters after the main gate. If Sungmin asked for the reason behind his opinion, he would answer because of the big fountain, statues of Venus and cupids, birds surrounded the fountain before 07.30 am in the morning, also the fresh morning midair around the area. Therefore, it was no surprise to find Lee Sungmin spending time at the lobby every morning before the class started.

 

The President usually woke up way early from any other Students in order to spend couple of minutes at the lobby. Forty minutes before the class started, Sungmin already there at the lobby, doing paperworks, or just reading a book if his work already done. Journalistic’s students, found Sungmin’s morning routine very helpful for them, because they can take pictures of the President or do some interviews for the school’s magazine. Other students, mostly Sungmin’s stans, slash stalkers, used that moment to greet or just to stare at their charismatic President.

 

If Cho Kyuhyun had the big oak tree as his own so-called ‘site’ at the School, Sungmin had the lobby area. Once, there was a poll held by Journalistic’s students, about how to define Sungmin and ‘his sanctuary’ in one sentence. Most of the girls answered ‘heaven on earth’, while the boys mostly answered ‘da Vinci’s masterpiece’. In summary, no one would argue or protest the value of beauty within the scenery.

 

However, today was different from any other day since Lee Sungmin was not found in his usual spot at the usual time. Few students got dissapointed, while others got worried, including Ryeowook, the Secretary, who suspected something wasn’t right happening to his President.

 

Answering the curiosity, unexpectedly, the most wanted President was still in the YG dormitory building. For the first time in his entire life as high school student, Lee Sungmin was overslept. He didn’t know why he couldn’t wake up as usual. Is it because of his alarm clock choose to be broken today, or he simply too much indulged in his slumber.

 

The President was pacing back and forth in his room, preparing stuffs for school and doing few important chores. Afterwards, he locked his room and rushed out of the dorm since he only got 15 minutes left before his class started. On normal condition, Sungmin spends 5 minutes to travel from dorm to school area, but this time, it only took him 2 minutes to finally enter the lobby area.

 

Sungmin slowered his pace and controlled his breath when he walked passed the fountain. He knew he still have 12 minutes left, so he wanted to enjoy the lobby even for few minutes.

 

“Good morning Sungmin-ssi.”

 

Sungmin halted and turned his head to the direction of the sweet voice captured in his ears. “Morning Sunkyu-ssi.” He greeted back and smiled to a very lovable girl with the same hair color like his.

 

Lee Sunkyu, sophomore year, was one of Sungmin’s good friend. She was the head of Musical Theater club who has been praised recently because of her performance in Little Red Riding Hood. The play granted her an offer to play musical show in Seoul from a well-known producer. Despite her talent, Sungmin really like her personality which carefree, funny, full of passion and friendly. She deserved to be loved by anyone. Lee Sunkyu is just too lovable that Sungmin couldn’t ignore, even sometimes Sungmin has sudden urge to protect her from bad people.

 

“Have you realized that many students here waiting for your presence?” Sunkyu asked. “It’s funny to think that they got worried because you haven’t show up, but once you’re here, you’re totally oblivious and kind of ignored them.” She was chuckling.

 

Sungmin was looking around, and he realized that indeed the lobby was crowded than usual. “Did all of them waiting for me?” Sungmin started to show his smile and bent down a little to greet them.

 

“Yeah, except for me though, I had interview few minutes ago, and decided to greet you since we haven’t talk in person for quite sometime.” Sunkyu grinned.

 

Sungmin’s smiles slowly dissapeared. He assured that Sunkyu’s words contained allusions. They were a very close friend back then, so close to the point that many students got curious and jealous over their relationship. Sungmin felt really comfortable around Sunkyu and vice versa. Sunkyu could understand his jokes, always caring for him, and of course, adorable. They had chemistry and it undeniable for everyone to see. Before Sungmin became a President, Sungmin almost asked Sunkyu to have a romantic relationship with him. The blonde man put aside that thought as he won the election, reminding himself that he did not need any distractions that may occurred along with Sunkyu’s status as his girlfriend.

 

Did not need any distractions? So what makes Cho Kyuhyun then? Talked to the hand Sungmin...

He resisted the urge to release his chuckled because of his own thought. Well, life is quite mystifying for Sungmin these days. Well, scratch that, it is not these days, but since he saw Cho Kyuhyun.

 

Before Sungmin got lost more in his own thought, Sungmin looked up to the petite girl in front of him and smiled. “We haven’t? Well, what can I say, you’ve got a club to handle and a play to perform.”

 

Since Sungmin became a President, he slowly distanced himself from the lovely girl. He reduced their interaction from every 3 hours, into once a day, once in 3 days, once a week, until they only exchanged polite greetings if they bumped into each other. It was cruel of him, Sungmin knew and realized, but he needed to do it, there are a lot of priorities in his life before personal relationship.

 

“Same goes to you who need to take care the whole students Sungmin-shi.” Sunkyu replied and walked closer to Sungmin.

 

Sungmin kept his smile while offering “Mind if I walked you to class?”

 

Before Sunkyu could answer the President’s offer, she came to a halt as someone crossed in front of her, blocking her way and her sight towards Sungmin.

 

Without warning, Sungmin bumped into someone who suddenly appeared in front of him. The blonde president’s head was hitted lightly on the newcomer’s chest.

 

Sungmin could smell familiar scents, a combination of cigarrate, perfume and a slight of morning sweat. Next thing Sungmin realized, his body reacted as usual whenever he smelled that scents, tensed up. Before the President protested to the intruder, his chin was lifted up lightly and he felt lips landed smoothly on his right cheek, giving him a sweet peck.

 

“Good morning my President.” A low voice whispered from the kisser, making Sungmin shivered.

 

Sungmin was dumbfounded and speechless. He stunned for a few seconds before he could register what just happened. Well, Sungmin was not alone at that state. The crowd around him, and Sunkyu, also became silent as they gawked to see Cho Kyuhyun, out of nowhere, kissed their President.

 

One for Cho Kyuhyun, zero to dumb blondie President.

Cho Kyuhyun gave Sungmin his trademark smirked and reached for his hands, only to clasped it together. When the President soft hands touched his, Kyuhyun ignored his sudden comfortable feeling from their little skinship. He pulled the still stunned President by hand to walk towards the class room.

 

The crowd started to brawl when the two was leaving. Whispering voices wandered around the atmosphere, ushering the couple off from the lobby. Most of them, including Sunkyu, confused and was asking each other about Sungmin’s relation to Cho Kyuhyun, or why Kyuhyun suddenly kissed him. Few girls giggling about the kiss, several boys looked rather pissed for unknown reason, and there are several girls looked dissapointed.

 

When Sungmin was quite far away from the lobby area, his realization finally hitted him. He suddenly stop and tugged his dragged hand slowly, making the boy who lead his way in the front turned around. Sungmin confused eyes stared intently to the other dark orbs. “What was that Cho Kyuhyun?” he asked in a low voice, careful not to attract another commotion of several students around them.

 

Sungmin could see Kyuhyun’s lips formed a smug smile, which initiated the blonde’s usually sparkling eyes to contract in distasted expression. Kyuhyun leaned closer, his smile slowly changed into a smirk.

 

A loud school bell echoed throughout the school and distracted Kyuhyun and Sungmin. “Ops, save by the bell.” Kyuhyun shrugged in satisfaction. “See you at lunch baby.” Kyuhyun said, loud enough for other students surround them to hear before slightly bent forward and gave Sungmin a kiss on the forehead.

 

Another whispers clearly heard as Cho Kyuhyun walking across the main hall into the corner classroom, leaving Sungmin goitered.

 

***

 

Sungmin was doing paperworks at his desk, when he heard few sounds surfaced in sequence. First, a loud shutted door, his ‘President’s office’ door to be exact, heavy footsteps against the carpeted floor following after, a banging on his desk after that, and of course, a breathless voice, in accusing manner.

 

“Do I really worthless for you to the point I needed to find this from others?! Even worse, from Journalistic’s students!”

 

Sungmin only smiled in reply, still focused with signing few papers, not bothering to look upon the boy who looked rather annoyed in front of his desk. “You know Journalistic’s students love to initiate gossips. Why bother Wookie?”

 

“Oh I know they were, but not when they provide evidences.” Ryeowook was referring to few photos he banged along with his hands earlier on the table.

 

Finally Sungmin distracted his attention from his papers and looked up to the petite Secretary. “What do you mean?” his smile dissipated.

 

With his right hand, Ryeowook slided forward few photos on the table until it nudged Sungmin’s papers.

 

Sungmin took the photos and examined it one by one while Ryeowook allowed himself to take a seat in front of the President’s desk. After few seconds of silence, Sungmin threw the photos back on his desk and stared at his friend.

 

Ryeowook was making a ‘care to explain’ gesture with both of his hands. With that, Sungmin chuckled at his friend’s antics. “Okay. We talked.” Sungmin started.

 

“What?! I don’t need ‘talk’, I need you to explain.” Ryeowook spatted.

 

“Okay, what do you want me to explain?” Sungmin calmly replied. Actually, he enjoyed seeing his bestfriend reacted like this. Is it cruel of him if he thought it was funny and wanted to enjoy it as long as he can?

 

“The hell Sungmin!! Yesterday you said the meeting with him went well, nothing special happened, and today suddenly you hooked up with him?!”  The Secretary’s body was pressed forward against the edge of Sungmin’s desk, one fist tightened on the wooden surface. “And now you still asked me what things do you need to explain?! Do you know how do I, the one you called best friend, feel when they asked me questions about your scandal and I looked dumbfounded??” It was obvious enough to say that Ryeowook was, to Sungmin surprise, enrage and demand an answer.

 

Slightly raised his eyebrows with due to Ryeowook’s outburst, Sungmin sighed before started “First of all, you need to take a deep breath and relax.” He waited for few seconds, to allow Ryeowook following his suggestion. After an audible breathing from the other, Sungmin continued “Wookie, it’s a condition Cho Kyuhyun asked to receive my proposal.”

 

Ryeowook took few seconds to digest Sungmin’s words. Shocked expression formed on his face when he could put two and two together. “Is that bastard crazy?! He dared to give you condition while all you were going to do benefiting him?!!” Ryeowook’s anger resurfaced again, making 'the suggested deep breath' method failed miserably.

 

“Well, rather than crazy, I might say he is meticulously smart. He probably read my real intention behind this proposal.” Sungmin leaned forward to rest his elbows on the desk.

 

Sungmin could see Ryeowook gulped down in his throat. When his bestfriend gave no response, he continued “Yesterday, I told him that the reason behind my effort in helping him was fulfilling the Assembly’s request as the President of Student's Council. However, it looked like he didn’t buy that and suspected I have another motives...”

 

It was true, Cho Kyuhyun’s suspicion was correct. Sungmin had another, main, reason to help Kyuhyun passing his failed class and graduate, apart from his job as the President of student’s council.

 

Lee Sungmin was a perfectionist male, with a big ego, big ambition and big greed. Apart from his personal life, he was living the epitome of perfection. In the age of seventeen, he already achieved appreciations a boy could asked for: remarkable grades; successful skills in sports, martial arts, crafts and arts; amazing organizational career path; surrounded and adored by girls and boys; loved by the teachers; wealthy background; and other things that can make anyone jealous over his life.

 

Sungmin was very accustomed to be said perfect in many ways up to the point he became covetous to be more and more perfect person. Even though he already achieved many things, he still needed another thing to add. He always challenged himself to a new matter while believing that nothing is impossible for him.

 

With such condition, Cho Kyuhyun was offered to Sungmin’s life. Sungmin appreciate him as a new challenge since everyone in the school gave up with the rebellious student. He challenged himself that he could make Kyuhyun passing his class and graduate, which considered impossible by others. Lee Sungmin wanted to prove and show everyone that he deserved the title of ‘perfect human’ who can do the impossible. That was how big his ego, and how greedy Lee Sungmin is.

 

“Remind me again why do you need to do this Sungmin?” Ryeowook sighed. He of course knew Sungmin’s arrogant reason, but he just couldn’t see any senses in that reason. Well, in Ryeowook’s opinion, the proud was not that great enough compare to Sungmin’s efforts and sacrifice in achieving his goal. Kyuhyun was so troublesome that only made problems to his President’s life. And that was something you couldn’t proud of.

 

Sungmin smiled in response. He felt sorry for his bestfriend because Sungmin had decided and it wouldn’t change no matter what. Before Sungmin could say something, the President’s office door burst open, startling the two occupants in the room. Ryeowook was turning his head towards the door automatically.

 

Two pairs of eyes widen in surprise as Cho Kyuhyun stood by the door. He stared directly to Sungmin before tugged up one side of his lips to form a smirk. “I thought we are having lunch together.” he leaned sideway on the door frame, arms crossed.

 

 

*******

 

 

 

a/n: Finally done chapter 3! Enjooyy~~