Taking a Break

Chasing Dreams

“Sica, do you want to be my girlfriend?” Taeyeon asked Jessica out of nowhere when they were walking leisurely in the park. “Well, we’ve known each other for three months and your agency has given green light to our relationship. I can’t find another reason that stopping us from making this relationship official. Unless..” Taeyeon turned to Jessica and said,”Unless you are the one that doesn’t want us to be official.”

Jessica looked down and playing with her fingers. “I-I.. My parents don’t know about my new preference and I’m afraid they will disagree and made me to choose between you or them. I love my parents so much, Taenggoo. I don’t know what to do if that happens.”

“So who would you choose if you have to?” Taeyeon saw that Jessica kept mum so she lifted Jessica’s face and said,”Look at me in the eyes and answer my question. Will you choose me or your parents?” Taeyeon’s heart clenched hard when Jessica avoid her eyes then look down again. “I guess your love for me is not strong enough. Wait,who am I kidding? You never said that you love me. That just what I thought.”

Jessica flinched when she heard Taeyeon’s words. She looked at Taeyeon timidly then said,”Can’t we stay like this? Status isn’t important right? As long as we are happy, isn’t that enough?”

“That’s true. Status isn’t important. Then can you say you love me? Say it out loud. If I heard that, I don’t need anything.” Taeyeon said with her eyes shows so much pain.

Jessica surprised with Taeyeon’s request. It’s not that she doesn’t love Taeyeon, in fact, she loves her so much. Jessica know about this but she can’t say it. She never said it to anyone other than her family. She felt awkward and afraid. Saying it out loud is the same like giving all her heart to Taeyeon. She is afraid that someday Taeyeon will leave her after she gives her fragile heart. All the people that ever said that three words to her, only loved her for her popularity.

“I.. Can you give me some times to think about it?” Jessica asked Taeyeon.

Taeyeon sighed then took a step back from Jessica. She chuckled sadly and said,”Time? We have been together for three months. I thought that’s enough but then again, that’s my thought not yours. Maybe this three months, only I am the one that took this seriously.”

Jessica widened her eyes and quickly shook her head. “No, Taenggoo.I took this thing seriously too. Please listen to my reason first. I need time because..”

Taeyeon stopped Jessica by raise her hand. “Don’t say anything. My heart is hurt so much and I’m sure my heart won’t believe any of your words. Let’s just do that. Let’s give each other time to think. I need to think about us too. Let’s go home now. I’m not in the mood for date anymore.”

Jessica’s face paled. She had a feeling that they will be separated for a long time after today. “Give each other time? You want us to stop contact each other? You want us to have a break? Is that it?” Jessica’s uneasiness getting intense when saw Taeyeon’s firm nod. “No! I can’t do that. You can’t do that to me!”

Jessica took one step closer to Taeyeon but Taeyeon keep their distance. “Taenggoo, I can’t live without hearing your voice or see your face. I could die! Please, Taenggoo. We don’t need to have a break. This is not what I want when I asked for time.”

Just by looking at Jessica’s desperate expression or her words, Taeyeon knew that Jessica loves her back but she needed to hear it directly from Jessica. And another important thing that she have to do but she could only do it by having a break. That’s why Taeyeon hardened her heart and stay firm on her decision. “Say it then we don’t have to do this but if you can’t let’s have a break.”

“I.. I… I..” Jessica’s tears poured because of her frustration of her self. No matter how hard she tried, her lips won’t say it. Jessica buried her face on her palms and sobbed hard.

Taeyeon’s heart pained when she saw Jessica’s state. She hurriedly stepped closer and hugged Jessica tightly. She cooed Jessica to stop crying. “Don’t cry. It’s not like we will be separated forever. Just for a while, Sica. We need time. You have to understand that I need to hear that words from your mouth. Maybe you can’t say it not only because your love is not strong enough. Maybe there are other reason, like your parents. If you say it, that means you choose me over your parents. It is good to have time to think because I don’t want us to fight all the time because your parents despise our relationship.”

Jessica buried her face on Taeyeon’s shoulder and hugged her very tight. “But why must we stop contacting each other? We could still think even if we meet.” Jessica asked in her shaky voice.

Taeyeon Jessica’s hair gently and said,”Because, if we are separated, we won’t be distracted and we could draw our decision by thinking objectively. If we met, I could only think about you and that goes to you too as well. Just for a while, Sica. Okay?”

Jessica sighed and nodded her head reluctantly. “Just for a while. We will be separated for a while. Let’s go home but you will spend the night in my home. I want to feel your presence for a little longer.”

Taeyeon agreed with Jessica’s request. “Alright. I’ll do that. Let’s go home now.” Taeyeon disentangled her self from the hug then interwined thei fingers. They walked slowly with Jessica’s head on Taeyeon’s shoulder. They wanted to savour their ‘last’ day together.

When they arrive in the house, Taeyeon turned to Jessica and cupped her face. “What do you want to eat? I will cook for you.” Taeyeon frowned when Jessica shook her head. “Why?”

Jessica hold Taeyeon’s hand then snuggled her face deeper to the hand that cupped her face. “I don’t want to eat tonight. When we meet again, you will cook for me. That’s a promise that you have to fulfill. Right now I just want to cuddle with you. Let’s go to the bed.”

Taeyeon could saw Jessica’s sadness. She wanted to give in and keep meeting while Jessica learned to say that three words but she stopped her self. No, Taeyeon. You have to go to that battle alone. This is the best opportunity. Jessica wouldn’t know about your meeting with them if you have a break. Taeyeon once again hardened her heart. She leaned forward then kissed Jessica’s forehead. “I will cook for you next time we meet.”

TaengSic couple spend the night in each other’s embrace. Jessica hugged Taeyeon tightly, afraid she would disappeared if she loosen her embrace.

In early morning, Taeyeon woke up and turned to Jessica. She kissed Jessica’s cheek lovingly then whisper,”Wish me luck, Sica.” Taeyeon then tip toed out the house and prepared for the big battle.   

--------------------------------

Taeyeon arrived in front of a beautiful house. Taeyeon rechecked the address then after she is sure that is the right place, she got out from the car. She rang the bell and wait for someone to answered.

“What can I do for you, miss?” Sound from the speaker said to her. Taeyeon bowed her head through the camera security and said,”Good morning, ma’am. My name is Kim Taeyeon and I’m here to meet Mr. and Mrs. Jung. I have to talk something important about Jessica to them.” After thirty seconds of silence, the door opened then the sound asked Taeyeon to come in. “Mr. and Mrs. Jung will meet you. Please enter the house.”

Taeyeon directed to the living room then left alone. Taeyeon looked around the room and found lot of photos on the wall. She looked for Jessica’s and giggled when she saw Jessica’s icy expression. The sound of someone cleared his throat snapped Taeyeon back to reality. She quickly turned around saw a pair of man and woman. Taeyeon concluded that they must be Jessica’s parents so she bowed ninety degrees while introducing her self. “Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Jung. My name is Kim Taeyeon.”

When they have settled on the couch comfortably, Mr. Jung asked Taeyeon. “So, young lady, you said that you wanted to talk something important about our daughter? What is it?”

Taeyeon exhaled to calmed her self then said firmly. “I know you two won’t like this news but as I have said before, my name is Kim Taeyeon...  And I’m currently courting your daughter. Today I asked her to be my girlfriend but she declined it because she is afraid her parents would cast her away because of her preference. That’s why I’m here to ask for your permission and support to be your daughter partner.”