The Shadow, alone without light

For Her Memories

There’s only two thing are true in this world, at least for sooyoung. If there’s light, then there will be darkness. her appa taught it to her when she’s still 5 years old, scared of the darkness of the night. She always wondering why everyone could go out when its already night and as curious child she asked her appa.

He’s not a sage and not the smartest person in this world, but as a parent he has all the experience and words that already went through a lot. Every parent does, that’s why their child depends on them so much.

“sooyoung-ah” her appa lift her and put her on the bed “do you love sunrise?”

“yesh!” little sooyoung nodded “because I can go out and there’s no scary ghost or stupid black thing like darkness”

“then, what about your own shadow?” her father turn the bed lamp on and put his hand in front of it, the large shadow of his hand soon made his daughter hides under the pillow “hahaha, come on sooyoung-ie. It’s appa shadow, it wouldn’t hurt you”

“re-really?” she peeked, looking at her appa who slightly nodding his head. The little girl then got out, hands reaching toward her appa “t-then, why shadow can appear at night too?”

“because there’s a source of light” her father removing his hand from blocking that bed lamp and the large shadow produced by it soon disappeared “shadow can exist whenever there’s a source of light”

“oh” sooyoung reached toward the bed lamp, her right hand produced much smaller shadow compared to her appa. The little girl feel fascinated by this and she started to wave both her hands all around while giggling “it’s fun!”

“see… darkness isn’t that bad. Here, let appa teach you how to make animal shadow with your hands”

The two choi playing around, not knowing that sooyoung bed time already passed. Soon a footstep can be heard approaching the little girl room, revealing her umma that amused to found her daughter playing with her appa. Even though she wants to let them be for a while, her daughter needs her rest.

“come on, stop playing already” her voice startle sooyoung and her appa. Both of them giggled seeing the woman in front of them

“now, you need to rest sooyoung-ie” her father positioned her and put the bear doll in sooyoung embrace. He then turn off the lamp, making all the shadow disappeared and sooyoung curiously asked

“why the shadow disappeared?”

“because they can’t exist when there’s no light, when the light dies out so the shadow”


11 years latter since hearing that light and darkness from her appa, she finally understand that taeyeon is her light. She’s here because taeyeon exist.

But… how could she still be here when her source of light already disappeared?

Her girlfriend dead, her funeral already been held 1 week ago. And she’s tired crying her tears out after realizing that this wouldn’t even bring taeyeon back. She will be sad to see her like this, because she always told her to always wear those smile who taeyeon loved to see, a happy face that a sight to see for her, and doing something other than reading a book and secluded herself that taeyeon hates.

Since that realization came, she isn’t the same anymore. Her parents thought that she really lost herself, drowned in her sadness. But their physician told them that sooyoung is completely normal, if not better. She changed, more outgoing, adventurous, more playful and such.

It’s like seeing their daughter changed to a new person.

She loved to do trip around the world, making friends all over the place she visits, helping people in needs, and trying thing’s that she never do before.

If she was the shadow that supposed to disappear when light leave her, then why she still here? That question had been answered by her fully. She understands, that taeyeon made her to be a light for everyone else.

And she does it, with her own way…


Hello.hello! i'm back and i'm very sorry for the long hiatus... i got myself busy with my master degree which i got from unexpected scholarship, yay me ^^
anyway... this is just a short update, for my old reader's i hope you will continue to read this story because i plan to finish it to the end! for those who are new to the story, welcome ^^
anyway... i wrote this short one shot for apology to all for my hiatus, you can found it here http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/909610/one-year-later-soori 
untill next update!