Trente-Six

Where The Lights Are

Every day for the next month, Luhan spotted Seolhyun somewhere in the library. He'd arrive to his shift at around 1:15 P.M., and the girl would always walk through the doors at around 3:15. Sometimes the boy, Kangin, was there as well, and even the other girl, Suki, would sometimes make an appearance. However, Luhan always saw the little girl there, either wandering around, sitting and reading, or checking out books. He grew to like her mysterious presence, and he somehow found it comforting.

"Maybe it's because she reminds me of Mina... am I insane?" Luhan asked his cousin, who was checking up on the younger at the library one afternoon.

"No, I don't think you're insane. Sometimes, I think I see Choaya, but it's just some woman. It's been sixteen years though, do you even remember what she looks like?" Kris asked as he picked at his nails.

"Well... kinda." Luhan admitted, pulling a red book from a shelf and setting it on a worn cart. "I can sometimes imagine her smile, or her hair, just little things like that." he said, running a hand through his still dyed blonde hair.

"Are you still in love with her?" the older asked, looking at his cousin with nothing but serious eyes. "I think you're blindly infatuated." he chuckled.

"No. I'm not, and it's been so many years. How could I still be hung up on my first love? Many people will tell you that they've had lots of 'true loves' in their life. She was my first, that's all. Nothing sets her apart from my other 'true loves'." Luhan sadly tried to explain.

"Well, whatever you say. When the day comes though that you tell us you're engaged to each other, I have every reason to say 'I told you so'." Kris smirked.


As the wedding of Kris and Choaya was drawing closer day by day, the ever procrastinating Luhan finally decided to use his saturday to buy the two a gift. He gently hummed to the radio's songs as he drove to the nearby mall, and he continued humming as he made his way through the first department store in front of the mall. Since Choaya's hearing was non-existent, he had decided to get them two photo books. He'd fill one with pictures of the two that he had taken over the years during various occasions, and he'd give the second one to them blank, so they could fill it with their own memories. He knew it was cheesey, but deep down, he knew it was also sweet.

As he was passing by the clothing section, his inner diva got the best of him, and he soon found himself flipping through the newest shirts for men. Suddenly, he felt a soft tap on his shoulder, and he turned around to see a tiny woman with a large and welcoming smile. She had long brown hair that curled up at the ends, and her large eyes were a dark, shining brown. A few shirts were hung across her arm.

"Oh, uhm, I don't work here." Luhan reflexively said, bowing slightly.

"I know, I know, but could I please ask you a simple question?" the woman didn't wait for an answer though, and rather than thinking she was rude, he couldn't help but think she was adorable. "I'm color blind, and I'm trying to find a shirt for my friend. He likes blue very much, so I wanted to know if this shirt was blue." she asked, holding up a shirt.

The shirt was a sapphire blue, with thin navy blue stripes. "Ah, yeah. It's blue." Luhan mumbled, his mind flailing in every direction, as the woman was too familiar.

"Thank you so much! You've been kind beyond belief." she grinned and bowed.

Just as she was turning away, the switch in Luhan's head went off, and without thinking, he shouted. "Kwon Minaring!".

The woman froze a bit in her spot, and she turned back to face Luhan, her eyes wide. "H-How do you know my name?" she slightly whispered, terrified.

Luhan didn't even to try to stop himself from smiling like an idiot. He placed a palm on his chest and said. "Luhan.".

"Luhan... the wonderful Luhan oppa from high school?" the woman raised her eyebrows and giggled, covering her gentle laugh with a hand.

"The very same." he laughed back.

Mina walked straight into his open arms and gave him a touching hug, as she breathed in his familiar, rosey spice cologne. "It is so nice to see you... literally." she laughed, stepping back a bit to look up at Luhan.

"Oh yeah, that's right! You can see now!?" he gawked as she carefully laughed again.

"Yeah. The doctors in Japan gave me sight. They could only do so much, so I'm color blind, but it's good enough!" she cheered, explaining.

"Of course! How long have you been in Korea? What happened in Japan? Wah, I'm sorry, I shouldn't bomb you with questions, should I?" he shyly rubbed the back of his neck.

"No no, it's fine. Here, I'll tell you what you need to know. In Japan, the cured me of whatever was wrong with me. I'll die at a normal age, they gave me sight, everything. I lived in Japan for about two years, and after saving up from various jobs, I traveled back. Funny, you're actually the first person I've encountered from all those years ago. That means I've been here for fourteen years, and I hate that I'm only just seeing you. Oh, and one other thing." Mina explained calmly, and opened to say something else, when another person appeared behind her, putting a hand on her arm.

"Hey Mom, Dad's here to pick me up." the girl said, looking up at her mother.

Mina turned away from the taller and looked at the girl. "Alright Seolhyun. Do you want me to walk you to the exit?" she asked.

"No Mom, I'm fine." Seolhyun nodded, her eyes glancing to Luhan for a moment. "Ok, bye Mom, bye library guy." she smiled, before bowing and walking away.

When Mina turned back to Luhan, said man's eyes were wide and his jaw was slightly dropped. Mina giggled again. "Oh, and one other thing," she restated, "I have a twelve year old daughter named Seolhyun, and, that was her." she beamed up at Luhan.

"So that's who she is..." Luhan muttered. "I work at the local library, and I've been seeing her come by pretty much every day." he explained.

"You work there? Wow, I should visit sometime! Anyway, her school is a few blocks away, and our house is another block after that. She's been hanging around there recently, and she's been talking about 'the library guy' quite often." Mina wiggled her eyebrows. "Would you happen to be that 'library guy'?" both adults laughed.

"I think I am." he shrugged. "If you don't mind me asking... who's her father?" he quietly asked.

"Well, it was a guy I dated in college, we were both twenty-one, and we got a little drunk one night. I mean, I've always wanted kids but... anyway... we didn't get married, and we broke up soon after, but he's stayed by my side and he helped raise her. We take turns having her, so custody is between us both." she looked away for a moment. "Oh, I'm sorry, I totally forgot your question. Uhm... remember Tao?" she sheepishly smiled.

Luhan didn't need any more clues to have his jaw drop. "You dated Tao!? You had a kid with Tao!?" he gasped.

"Don't tell me you're angry and jealous. That wouldn't be the Luhan I remember." she shook a finger left and right.

"No no, I'm just shocked. No matter how much of a big goof that guy is, I'm glad it was him and not some jerk.",

"Hey! I'm not that stupid! I wouldn't date a jerk..." she pouted.

"I never said you were." he bit his lip. "So... are you free this afternoon?" he questioned.

"Yeah. Why?",

"Well, after we pay for what we need to buy, I was wondering if you'd like to get some coffee?",

Mina smiled for the thousandth time that day. "I would love to.".

Ah... I remember these lights... I've missed them so...



And that, my friends, is the end of 'Where The Lights Are'.
There will be an epilogue, but this is the ending.
For those who subscribed, read, commented, or all three, I thank you so very much!

Time for crappy advertising for my other fics!

If you like ghosts: A Reasonless Grudge
If you like comedy and crack: A Family's Comical Melancholy

I repeat though, there will be an epilogue, so don't get sad just yet!