Trois

Where The Lights Are

Fridays were always a time of great joy for Luhan. To every one's shock, Luhan loved both the school week and the weekends, and Friday was his ideal day. Every Friday, he and Donghae would join their friends (along with Mr. Wu, who was only a couple years older than the others) in the 'no-man's-land' of campus, and simply talk, catch up on news, play games, etc. . And on this Friday, they were all sitting in lawn chairs and talking about life, as simple as it sounds.

"So, Luhan," Kris pointed at said boy. "anything new happen with the whole cafeteria incident?".

"Oh yeah! That's right. I almost forgot about that, and it's only been a day." Kibum chuckled.

"First, wow Kibum." Luhan and the others laughed. "Second, nope. Nothing has happened. I feel like it'd be more interesting if something else did." the deer boy noted.

"I know something that happened..." Donghae smirked.

"And what would that be?" Kris folded his arms across his chest.

"Kwon Mina was taking care of our little deer." Donghae teased with kissing motions.

"Hey! It wasn't like that! I guess she was guilty and felt the need to help me..." Luhan sipped his cola.

"Suuuuuure. Hey, guys, she even asked me to put her number in Luhan's cell phone." Donghae wiggled is eyebrows.

"Ohhh damn. Somebody's feeling lucky. That explains why you couldn't stop smiling during class today." Kris took a swig of beer.

"But... you're teacher for the freshmens... we're juniors..." Kibum noticed after a long pause from every one.

"Chanyeol, or uhm, Mr. Park told me." Kris nodded as he took another sip. "He said you were pretty happy today.".

"You did seem rather upbeat. I asked you if you were dating some chick, but you just kind of... walked away. Like a shy little school boy." Kibum lightly punched Luhan's shoulder.

"You guys are asses. Plus, you shouldn't be drinking around us." Luhan kicked Kris's empty beer can across the field.

"Eh, screw it. The principal's my friend, he won't do anything." the teacher shrugged.

Just as Donghae was about to add another embarrassing moment to the list, the four young men suddenly heard a girl's laughter, and another's singing. The singing was quiet and soft, and her vocals were merely amateur. The girl danced around the trees and in the field as she sang, and the laughing girl trailed behind her, covering with her hands. The singing one ran to the laughing one with her hands stretched outwards, nearly tripping over her own feet. The singing girl fell into the other's arms, both of them beginning to dance a sort of waltz. Luhan could already imagine the piano music as a background tune.

"They're so happy..." Luhan looked at his hands. "and every one hates them. Why?" he looked at his friends. "They're just like us, and so what if they're different? One can't hear the music, but she can follow the dance. One can't see any steps, but she can listen to the harmony. And look, every one tries to put them down, but in the end, they're more happy then we are." Luhan leaned back in his chair as he stared at the sunset.

"That was some deep sh-",

"Don't ruin the moment Donghae." Luhan nudged his friend's shoulder.

"They're kind of adorable, how they can just not give a crap. I bet no girl in this school would have the guts to go out there and do that." Kibum ran a hand through his hair.

"I don't think I've ever had a student like Kwon Mina. Or you three either for that matter. I wish all of you were still in my classes." Kris opened another beer.

"Yeah, I wish we were still young." Luhan looked back down at Mina and Choaya, who were now ungracefully dancing while singing a trot song.


The next Friday was perfect for Luhan. Kris had tests to grade, Donghae had a date, and Kibum had a project. That left Luhan alone, and he wanted it that way. He had set up a plan last Saturday, and had been waiting a while to put it into action. After classes ended, Luhan silently walked down to the field where Mina and Choaya had been dancing. He wanted it to seem like a coincidence, but in his mind, he just wanted to know about Kwon Mina. You could even put him through a lie detector test, and it would say that Luhan was not in love with Mina. His motivation was, he only wanted to learn about her. He went to the middle of the field and looked around. Even if she wouldn't be there that day, he wanted some peace anyway. Sitting down on the soft grass under a large tree, Luhan began to sing.

"Xiang ai shang ji qi ai shang ni
She's a, ma ma ma ma machine
She's a, ma ma ma ma machine
Wu sheng de ji qi mei you xin
She's a, ma ma ma ma machine
She's a, ma ma ma ma machine".

"Woah! That was awesome!" Mina's cheery voice suddenly exclaimed.

Luhan looked up to see Mina poking her body out from around the tree, her head facing down, like it was looking at Luhan.

"Th-thanks." Luhan smiled.

Mina plopped herself down next to Luhan and giggled. "That was Chinese and English, right?".

"Yeah. I'm actually Chinese." he bit his lip.

"Well I'm not that dumb!" Mina shook Luhan's shoulder. "Could you sing more for me? I love hearing people sing." she clicked her tongue.

Without hesitation Luhan sang again. "Yondeiru koe, saa me wo samae, makigao nuguite, mabushii hikari kigi no isuyu umareru...".

"Hey!" Mina hopped to her feet. "You heard me singing last Friday!".

"Well, yeah." Luhan blushed at her.

"You're such a creep!" she playfully punched his chest as she knelt down.

Luhan didn't know how it managed to happen, and Mina didn't really even notice, but they talked through almost the whole night. At about two in the morning, Choaya found Mina and Luhan, sleeping under the tree, but with a couple feet of distance between them. And Luhan and Mina couldn't have guessed that the simple conversation about music they had, would start something that they'd never forget.



Song Mina and Luhan were singing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ66ftE3FX4

By the way, the titles are numbers in french. Un: One, Deux: Two, etc. .