Trente-Trois

Where The Lights Are

The car was silent as Luhan pulled into a parking spot, the steps to the train station a short run away. Mina was silent, her eyes glued to her lap, yet all she saw was darkness, still. When she felt the car halt, she hesitantly pulled out a little envelope closed with a pink heart sticker. Luhan started getting curious when she turned to face him.

"Listen, I want you to open this when you feel gone." she instructed, sounding insane.

"Wait, what?" he was baffled.

"Just, don't open this until you get that feeling. You'll know when it happens." she explained, placing the note in his hand. "Alright, I'm gonna go say bye to her." she leaned over and placed a long hug on her clueless boyfriend, pulling away slightly for a kiss.

"I love you." she whispered, surprising Luhan slightly.

"I love you too." he replied, kissing her once more.

She gave another grin as she unbuckled her seat belt and opened the car door, placing her feet on the ground first as she slowly left the vehicle, and closed the door. Luhan watched as the tiny girl made her way across the parking lot, up the little set of stairs, and disappear behind a corner of the small ticket booth.


Mina dragged her soft fingers against the rough edges of the brick building. She silently leaned against a wall as she waited to be found by Choaya.

"Oh, there you are." her sister's husky voice said, as Mina looked to her right.

Choaya was standing by the station door, with a ticket in one hand, and a suitcase by her feet.

"Thank you Unnie, for doing this for me." Mina bowed.

"It's alright, but I still think that what you're doing is wrong to him." the older admitted as she handed her 'sister' the items.

"I just... I can't live through his reaction. I don't wanna hear his voice, and I don't want him to hug me, and stop me from going. I can't live with even more guilt." the smaller went on as her eyes faced the distance.

"I know... I know.",

"Just... make sure he doesn't try to come after me. He needs for go to school, and he needs to save his money for college, and... he needs to believe that I'll be ok.",

"Do you think you'll be ok?"

Mina was silent, not sure how to answer the question. She could feel her optimistic personality draining. "I hope so." she muttered as the train's horn came into hearing.

Both girls were silent as the train pulled up, the people around them standing while the two stood emotionless. Mina boarded the train, and took a spot next to a window where she knew Choaya could see her. The train was cold, and smelled of rubber and cleaning chemicals, but Mina sat down gently, setting her suitcase on the rack above her. She turned to the window that she couldn't see out of, and waved, hoping that Choaya would wave back. She did, with a sad smile on her lips.


Luhan remembered Mina saying that the train would arrive at 10:20 A.M., and they had arrived six minutes before that. When it was 10:20, Luhan watched the train arrive. At 10:25, he watched the train leave, vanishing in the distance. At the same moment, he saw Kris's car pull up to a closer parking spot, and he watched his cousin walk behind the brick building, and then arrive back to his car a minute later with Choaya. When Choaya looked up from the ground, she instantly spotted Luhan's car. The look in her eyes made him unbuckle his seat belt and bolt from his car. He jogged up to his cousin and his girlfriend, pure confusion in his eyes.

"Hey Kris hyung, hi Choaya noona. Why are you two here?" the youngest asked, staring up at Kris, and at level with Choaya.

The teacher nervously glanced at his lover, said woman motioning with her finger for Luhan to follow her somewhere.

"I'll be right back." she called to Kris. "Hey, follow." she said to the blonde boy.

The two made their way to the stairs, a good distance away from the eldest. Choaya leaned against the railing, her arms crossed.

"Where's Mina?" Luhan asked, breaking the silence. "Is she still up there, saying goodbye to her friend?",

"Luhan... Mina is taking the train to an airport. From there, she's taking a plane to Japan." Choaya swallowed, not being able to look the boy in the eyes. "Mina was born blind, but... she has this condition. The doctors don't know what it is, but they said her blindness would cause her to die earlier of natural causes then the average person, at about 50 or 60 years of age. We had all accepted this, Mina included. However, the day before school ended for you guys, Mina's father showed up. You see, the doctors contacted him, since he is her parent, and they said that the condition has gotten worse, and that if she doesn't get help, she would develop a more fatal condition by the next winter, and that would kill her within a few years. She has sold a few of her belongings, she's saved up from her job, and we've contributed money ourselves. Doctors in Korea can't help her yet, but the cheapest option was Japan. That was the cheapest plane ticket, and we found a doctor who's a family friend, and he's willing to give her a slight discount." Choaya hated saying this to him, and she knew that it would've been better is Mina was the one to say it.

"She didn't tell me this... why didn't she tell me this?" Luhan mumbled out in between tears.

"She didn't tell you because she couldn't bear the guilt of telling you in person. Don't worry though, she's gonna be ok. She's getting help, and she'll live, and die at a normal age too." Choaya tried to comfort the boy.

"When will I see her again?" he asked, looking at the older.

Choaya sighed. "Well... the family and her don't have much money. She had to sell her phone to get money for this, and we only had enough for one ticket to Japan, not back. When she's out of the hospital, Mina told us that she had a little left over to rent an apartment, and she'll try to get a job and go to school. In the end... we have no contact with her, and all we can hope for is the best of luck for her in Japan." the deaf girl was being killed on the inside, she hated seeing the poor young man in front of her cry.

At that moment, Luhan suddenly understood what Mina meant by 'when you feel gone'. He felt himself slipping from this earth, and he needed to open the letter, hoping for anything. The younger quickly bowed and said his thanks, before dashing off to his car. He passed his cousin, who was feeling too much guilt himself to wave and say goodbye. He flung himself into the car's seat and slammed the door before hastily pulling out the envelope and tearing it open. He wiped his tears, scared of getting them on the precious note. A letter printed on gentle pink paper fell onto his lap.

My dearest Luhan,

Wow, the year's gone by fast, no? We started out as classmates, and in the end, I felt myself wanting to be with you every second of the day. It's mid June now, right? I remember when we went to buy your first car last week. You were so excited, and I loved hearing you laugh and spazz over something. My my, everything is vanishing now.

Luhan, I can't call you now, as I have no phone. I don't have a computer, so I can't email you now. I don't know your phone number, aish, I was never good with remembering number combinations. I don't have your address either, so I can't mail anything to you. I fear that these are my last words to you.

We've only been dating for a few months, hardly anything legendary. Wow though, you've really managed to change my life even so. I don't really know what light is, but I've been told that it's happy and cheerful and it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Where are the lights in my life? They're in you, my love. I'm most happy when I'm in your arms, and I like to think that you feel the same way. You are my love, but we're simply teenagers. I will mourn the loss of your touch and your hugs and your kisses, but I'm not afraid to walk forward, and I don't want you to be afraid either. Meet new friends, find new hobbies, find new love. It'll be hard, I'll admit, but in a year's time, I want you to be happy, and I don't want you to be hung up on a dream.

Is that what we are? A dream? I like to think so. Dreams are wonderful, magical, and they can last any amount of time. I like to think of you and us as an amazing dream in my life. However, this dream, unlike others, was real, and I will remember every single detail of it. Can you hear me now? I'm saying I'm sorry. I'm saying goodbye. I don't want you to hate me now, yet I understand if you do so. You are my first love, and you have no idea how many times I crossed my fingers and wished that we would last an eternity together. But this is life, and life is harsh, but there are always lights. In the future, I hope to save enough money to travel back to Korea, and see you again. Don't wait for me though. I told you to explore, so do it! Go Luuuuuuhan oppaaaaaaaa!

Know that you will always have a place in my heart.

Love,
Kwon Minaring