Dix-Huit

Where The Lights Are

"Donghae oppa! How are you?... Sweet!... The beach!... I don't know, silly Donghae!... Wah! Really?... I wanna go there as well!... You gotta let me meet him!... Wait, what!? Kibum too!?... WOAH!... Hi Bummie oppa!... Yeah!... Fantastic, you?... Great!... Where are you four going next?... Omo! Luhan, Choaya, and Kris should go there! Haha!... He is!?... Wait, put Donghae on the phone!... BLONDE!? REALLY!?... OPPA! That's crazy!... You do? Oh, ok! Bye bee!" Mina clicked the end call button on her phone and giggled to herself.

"I'm guessing that was Donghae?" Luhan asked, furrowing his eyebrows as he took a seat next to her under the two large beach umbrellas.

"Yup! He's out fishing with his brother, Kibum, and Kibum's brother. I just wanted to see how they were... make sure they were ok and happy. Mostly Donghae though..." Mina bit her nail, whispering out the last sentence.

The deer held out his arm and rubbed her shoulder. "He's seriously fine. I saw him chatting with some girl a couple days ago." he reassured.

"Well, ok. I hate knowing that people are sad." she mumbled.

I hate seeing you sad. I wish I co-

Even Luhan's thoughts were interrupted when a loud yelp was heard from the water's edge. The two turned their heads to see Henry crawling away on his , backwards, and Tao holding his cheeks with his jaw dropped. Kris, who was sitting under the other umbrella with Choaya, and Hangeng, who was laying on the sand with Heechul, didn't even flinch when they heard the yell. Luhan only flinched when Mina bolted from her spot and ran to the two. She crashed into Tao, who had his arms wrapped around her tiny waist.

"Don't move forward!" he yelled.

"Why?" the sightless one questioned, struggling to get out of his grip, memories of Kai holding her in a similar way surfacing.

"FRIGGIN JELLYFISH!" Henry cried out.

Only then did the others notice the disgusting looking creature embedded in the sand. It was bright pink with splotches of pale blue, and it was almost completely transparent. A tiny crab laying on it's back sat a couple inches beside it.

"A crab friggin walked on it and died! It just died!" the small, chipmunk seeming boy had almost made his way up to Luhan.

"IT JUST SAT DOWN AND DIED!" Tao exclaimed in a high pitched voice.

"P-please put me down, Tao. Please?" Mina bit her lip, noticing Tao was still clutching to her like a child, but was surprisingly lifting her up a good six inches off the ground.

"You remember how Tao can be." Kris looked at Luhan, the younger sitting wide eyed in horror at the scene ahead of him. "He's a kid." Kris nodded, the thick sunglasses on his face completely covering his eyes. "You better go save your princess before he brakes her arm on accident.".

And for some reason, Luhan wasn't thinking right, and he did just that.


"Tao, you're such a baby." Mina teased, pinching his cheek as he shoveled food into his mouth.

"Jellyfish are scary." Tao mumbled, mouth full of rather spicy food. "And Luhan, you didn't have to slap me.",

Luhan shrugged, doing a similar action as he was almost pouring soda into his mouth. "Well, you were screaming too loud to hear Mina, politely, ask you to put her down.".

The group was standing around a circular table near the kitchen. Nobody had bothered to even shower yet, they were all simply hungry and couldn't wait. So, after quickly setting the table, everybody was destroying the food, especially Tao and Luhan. At some point, Heechul had lost his memory again, and it resulted in Hangeng getting a cup of water splashed into his face.

"I guess, when I'm around you... I forget to take my meds. You seem to be clouding my mind lately." Heechul would later admit to Hangeng, awkwardly smiling with a bright blush spreading across his usually pale cheeks.

And after cleaning up their mess (including the sand and water on the floor), everybody separated and went away to do their own activity. Hangeng and Heechul were having dinner, Kris and Choaya were visiting a museum, and Tao and Henry reluctantly headed back to their hotel, as their families were waiting. This left Luhan and Mina alone in the house, much to Luhan's joy.

This is like a perfect fanfic... or a drama... or a movie! A night alone with Mina. Thank you dear Shisus. Luhan thought, referencing a kpop star he admired.

However, the night alone wasn't going perfectly as planned. Mina was only interested in washing off the sea shells she had found (and with some, stolen) from Tao and Henry. She was dressed in a sky blue tank top and a forest green color shorts. She stood in front of the mirror in the bathroom, looking downwards at the shells and washing them off in a sink. She hummed to herself as she gently scrubbed off the sand and placed the shells on a bright, fresh smelling white towel. The bathroom lights glowed around her, and because he knew he could never be caught, Luhan stared at her, smiling. Only after a couple minutes of gawking, did Luhan notice the seriously obvious contrasts between the blue tank top and the bright pink, fleshy skin on her back and arms. Through the reflection of the mirror, her cheeks, chest and neck, and shoulders were the same, hot color.

Sunburn.

Luhan flung his legs over the side of the bed and waddled over to the tiny girl, putting a hand on her cheek, feeling a hot and burning temperature. He sighed.

"What's wrong?" she asked, turning to him and looking up with wide, dark brown eyes.

"Did you put on sunscreen?" he questioned.

She chuckled and bit her already chewed nail. "I might've forgotten...".

Luhan sighed again, shaking his head and laughing. He slowly pulled her away from the shells, a tiny red one dropping from her hands and landing on the bathroom carpet. Leading her to the bed, he sat her down and looked into her curious eyes.

"You gotta promise me something.",

"Okay?",

"Promise me you'll wear sunscreen?",

"Hah! I usually do...",

"Mina.",

"I promise.",

"And promise me you'll stay still. I don't wanna hurt you.",

"Wait, what?".

Being the cautious and over packing boy he was, Luhan pulled one of three bottles of aloe lotion from his backpack. Squeezing a couple drops of the pink lotion into his hand, he glanced at Mina.

"Ok... you really burned yourself. Just stay still, and we'll hope the scabbing isn't still tender." he mumbled.

"WHAT?",

"You burned yourself so bad, there's little patches of dry skin.",

"Oh...",

"It's gonna be super cold. Get ready.".

And after biting her lip, Luhan delicately spread a little bit of the lotion onto her back, a little 'ah!' and 'eep!' leaking from at the freezing feeling of the lotion. Sadly for her, the dry patches were still tender and fleshy, and she nearly broke the skin on her lip when they were touched. She gripped onto the soft blankets below her, a little tear dripping from each eye at the stinging sensation. After an awkward couple seconds of Luhan asking her to take the tank top off in order to help the rest of her back, and eventually having to take it off himself since her arms were now too sore to move, Luhan continued layering on the aloe. With each tear that rolled down her scabbing cheeks, Luhan felt his own tears coming along. He hated seeing her in pain.

"Trust me. It would've felt worse if we hadn't done this tonight. It would've hurt way more tomorrow." he mumbled, smearing lotion on her neck.

"I know... it just stings. Heh... I'm an idiot some times." she giggled.

"You're simply careless every now and then. Just like me." he muttered as she took some of the lotion and rubbed it on her burned stomach.

His hands were on her shoulders, his face was inches away from hers. It would have been a perfect time to kiss her... if only he hadn't felt so awful for her. He didn't want to see her turn her head to kiss him, and be in pain the whole time. The burns on her body prohibited her from almost moving at all. And after smiling to himself, he finished his job and clapped his hands together once.

"That's it... all done." he announced.

"Crap... how am I gonna?... you know what, screw it." in a last minute decision, Mina nearly jumped onto the bed, laying her head against a pillow and curling her legs.

The pain instantly spread through her, and she bared her teeth at the ceiling for a moment, before looking in Luhan's direction and smiling. "I'm ok." she grinned from ear to ear.

Luhan, who was sitting above her, nervously bit his tongue and nodded. "If you say so." he shrugged, pulling a blanket over her body and switching on the tiny television set.

The rest of the night, in both of their opinions, was quite relaxing. The two sat on the bed and watched/listened to comedy shows, Mina slapping her thigh in laughter and forgetting she was still burnt, soon after freezing and rolling into a ball from the pain. It was a nice, peaceful night, and although he didn't make the connection he wanted, it was, Close enough... I wonder when she'll be healed enough to run into my arms and kiss me? Eh, just watch the show Luhan, you're making a fool of yourself.