Vingt-Huit

Where The Lights Are

On that day, the rain poured down harder than usual. It was harsh, and Mina's skin burned and itched each time a drop hit her skin. Mina's school wasn't anything too special, besides being a boarding school, which was also not that strange. With a college only a block away, there were many college-high school student interactions. The school year was ending the next day, so the blind girl would be a senior next year. Mina's school had a habit of having four big tests every quarter of the school year, thus being called 'quarter tests'. So with the recent studying and testing, there hadn't been much time to see her lover, and the one chance the two get to meet in private over the past two weeks, was ruined by a visitor that could not be ignored. Mina had been standing by her locker when Choaya had rushed over to her, out of breath after sprinting a few blocks (with the combination of the block away college, and the size of the high school). Her words were rushed and worried, yet Mina received the message nonetheless, and she quickly ran to the doors.


The news was shocking, and Mina had even dropped her pink umbrella. Her hair stuck to her cheeks and back, her clothes were like a second layer of itchy skin, the rain soaked up her words like a spunge. The stranger in the tan trench coat stood emotionless, keeping his tight grip on his umbrella. His expression was stern, yet no smile or frown graced his cheeks. The tears from Mina's eyes were barely noticeable against the pouring rain.

"What do you mean...?" she mumbled, voice only slightly louder than the rain.

"I mean, if it doesn't get done by next winter..." the last words had been blurred by her louder crying, as she collapsed to the mud soaked pavement, her white stockings now ruined.

"Mina?" the last and the number one voice she had wanted to hear came from behind her.

She glanced back to see a stunned Luhan, Donghae, and Kibum, each under their own umbrellas, eyes wide. Mina turned back to the stranger, who was already turning away. Mina ignored her lover and friends, her rage, anger, and confusion was boiling. "You! Don't you leave me here! You can't!" she bawled.

"I have come here to tell you what I must as a father." he said, not facing his daughter. "But no matter how much blood we share, I cannot accept you.".

Mina was breaking. "But we have no money for it! Suho, you can't leave me like this! What did mom have to say about it? At least tell me why you cannot be my father, and why she cannot be my mother.",

The stranger was silent as he glanced up at the three boys who were too stunned to move. "When we were young, we had you, but we had no money for you. Besides that, your mother and I did not love each other, so we put you in an orphanage, and we left. But your mother... your mother...",

"What about my mother!?",

"Your mother is not an American woman named Avery... her name is Youkyung, or, she was usually called Y by friends. After putting you up for adoption, she was so ashamed, that she cut off her own tongue. Then she changed her identity, and she made herself younger, using her teenage looking face to her advantage. If what her letters have told me is true, then she's moved on with a man named Donghae, and she's been living in a nice, happy family." Suho revealed, not knowing that Mina has already met Y, at that, that they live together as sisters.

"How could you? How could she...?" Mina looked up at her father, betrayed, as she suddenly heard footsteps splashing against water, knowing that Luhan was probably running to her.

"I had to tell you... there are so many secrets, and I had to let you know before-",

"Wh-who are you?" Luhan blurt out, dropping to his knees to clutch at Mina's shoulders, the sightless instantly melting into his arms.

"It is none of my concern who you are, and it is none of your concern who I am. Mina, I wish you luck, despite everything that has happened." the man tipped his fedora, and turned again to leave.

Luhan was fuming, the cartoon steam was already leaking from his ears. However, a gentle tug at his jacket shook him back to reality, and he looked down at Mina's bright red face. "How much did you hear?" she asked, whispering.

"I only heard you cry." he frowned.

"Good." she nuzzled into his neck. "That man was my father, and he came to tell me that my mother passed." Mina lied, not bringing herself to tell the biggest secret about the winter, or of her mother's identity.

"Is she ok?" Donghae gasped, standing above the two lovers, holding his umbrella above them.

"I'm fine." she lied again.

"Here, I'll take you to Kibum's dorm. The three of us were already on our way there." Luhan said, picking Mina up and carrying her like a bride.

She couldn't tell him, no, she simply couldn't. She quickly hid her face in his neck and shoulder, savoring every moment, just in case.



I promise, I'll get back to the fluff for next chapter.
I just can't help myself! 
I gotta add a couple twists every now and then.

Oh yeah, I also have two other fics going that you might like ^-^

A Reasonless Grudge

A Family's Comical Melancholy