Onze

Where The Lights Are

What Mina later learned, was that Kai's punch had cracked her skull in a few areas around and nose. When he landed at five, he swung his fist at her, completely successful at his target. His punch sent her flying back and onto Kibum's shoulder, blood poured from her nose and mouth and sprayed the walls behind her and on Kibum's cheek. Every person in the crowd was silent, the only voices being Luhan's and Kibum's screaming her name.

"MINA!" Luhan's eyes were raw and his skin was on fire.

Her vision blurred.

"M-Mina! Oh my god, Mina!" Kibum gently shook her shoulder.

The copper metal taste of blood pooled in .

No... I can't go down like this.

1,

2,

3,

4,

5... go.

"You sleazy !" she yelled at Kai.

Her slender leg flung upwards, and in her mind, when she reached five, she successfully reached her target. Her foot forcefully impacted Kai's crotch, leading him to fall backwards and roll on the floor in an agonizing pain. The crowd went into a panic, becoming loose enough for Luhan to squeeze through. He clutched at Mina's hand when he finally reached her, and right before she left consciousness, she heard Choaya's voice. Be strong, Mina, be strong.


Slowly waking up, Mina instantly felt the clean, crisp gauze and other fabric on her face. Many scents filled her nose. The fresh chemical scent of the hospital, Luhan's rosey spice cologne, Kibum's peachy shampoo, Donghae's herbal, grassy smell, Ryeowook's kitchen smell, Heechul's apple cologne, Hyejeong's violet perfume, Jiminel's strawberry perfume, Y's fresh cut plant smell, Yunaria and Sehun's raspberry body spray, Choaya's chocolately perfume. Such odd scents, that always comforted Mina. She was quietly hoping that the punch would've knocked some vision into her, but when she opened her eyes, she still saw only darkness.

"Could you all leave the room?" she heard Heechul say.

"Are you serious? Right as she wakes up!?" Ryeowook exclaimed.

"I need to talk to her. Please." she could picture Heechul waving the others away.

Shuffling feet, a curtain being yanked, and a door opening and closing around were heard, and the bed creaked as Heechul sat on it, next to Mina. He gulped and softly touched her gauze covered cheek. Mina gulped and closed her eyes again, having not enough energy to keep them open.

"Mina... I know your friends have told me what they saw, but... on any other occasions... has Kai touched you in any way?" Heechul spoke softly.

"No." she answered, not in her usual cheery tone.

"Alright. We'll still we're pressing charges against him. He assaulted you and you have no right to suffer like this and have no revenge." Heechul clenched his fist.

"Oppa... thank you." she smiled, tears forming. "Am I gonna be ok?".

"Yeah, honey. The doctors said you won't have a scratch on you. Just don't get punched again, ok?" they both chuckled.

"I won't. Hey, could you send Luhan in? Don't ask. Just do me that favor, please?" Mina asked.

Heechul nodded and poked his head out from behind the door, motioning for Luhan. After whispering to Luhan why he was called in, Heechul left them in peace. The boy sat on his knees by the bed, resting his chin on his palms.

"Hi Mina." Luhan broke the silence.

"Luhan oppa!" she smiled, gaining the usual color in her cheeks.

Luhan laughed. "How ya feeling?",

Mina shrugged... kind of. "Meh. Head hurts a bit, but I'm surprisingly feeling ok. Heh... do I look like a mummy?" she giggled.

And that's when something hit Luhan. That's when something hit him like a bullet to the heart. This girl, who proudly stood up for all the outcasts. This girl, who took the pain of others and allowed it to vent through herself. This girl, who sang and danced through fields without a care. This girl, who called her teachers by their first names if they allowed it. This girl, who was always smiling. This girl, who was so innocent. This girl, who desired to be friends with everybody. This girl, who after being punched in the face, was still able to smile. This girl, who was able to steal the heart of a silly playboy. This girl, who stood up against twenty plus stronger boys.

That's when Luhan realised he was in love with Mina.

That's when Luhan realised that in only a couple months, the class weirdo had managed to steal both his and Donghae's hearts. And the worst part is, she was too oblivious and innocent to notice. But Luhan didn't care. He only knew that this new discovery made being around her even better. Now he understood why Donghae wouldn't shut up about her recently.

He laughed and blushed a bit. "Why yes, you do!" and she laughed with him.

"Planning for next year's halloween will be nothing!" she announced.

"So anyway, why'd you specifically ask for me?" Luhan asked, getting to the point, hoping she's say that she loved him too.

"Oh! That's right. I wanted to hear your voice again. You're my friend, and the last time I heard it, it was scared and hoarse and sad. I wanted to hear it normal again." she smiled, saying the strangest things and not caring.

Well, it wasn't a love confession, and she bluntly said 'friend', but Luhan took what he could get. "Well here you go! Want me to sing something for you?" he asked.

Mina's eyes were wide and she let out a gasp. "OHMYGODYES." she said all in one breathe.

Slowly, she held out her fingers and placed them against Luhan's throat. He looked down, then back up at her. "Don't ask," she smirked. "it's a habit I've had for a while. Just sing and pretend I'm not being a freako." she grinned.

"Ok," he gulped and sang, "I lost my mind Dāng nǐ zǒu jìn wǒ shìxiàn,
Jiù zài nǐ zhōuwéi zhěnggè shìjiè get in slow motion,
Qǐng nǐ gàosu wǒ rúguǒ zhèyàng jiùshì ài,
Ài wúsuǒbùzài huì ràng wǒ wàngjì shānghài fēndān bēi’āi xuéxí guānhuái,
Chǎoguò kūguò hái néng yǒngbào,
Qǐng nǐ gàosu wǒ rúguǒ zhèyàng jiùshì ài.".