Un

Where The Lights Are

Every one remembers the first day they saw Kwon Mina.

She was a petite, simple looking girl. With long brown hair that curled up at the ends and dark brown eyes, you would think she was normal. However, Mina was anything but just that, and any person will say that at first glance, you'll know she's not normal.


Luhan sat in his desk with his back straight and his eyes focused ahead... and then all around himself. He was the type to survey every single thing in the room, and only then would he feel comfortable. It was the first day of high school, and after a long fight between parents and child, Luhan was enrolled in a public sleep-away school. Which meant that the night before had been spent unpacking, and to his room-mate's dismay, decorating. Luhan was the girly type of boy who hated being called girly, but loved compliments. He was the kind that craved peace and quiet, and usually preferred being alone, explaining his want for some freedom away from his parents. He was just a normal boy who liked soccer, hated being dirty, liked knowing all secrets, and hated violence. Of course, he was considered a normal kid with some average quirks.

Luhan flinched as his room-mate stumbled into class and into the seat next to him. Every one was slowly arriving to class.

"Yoooooo brooooo." Donghae roughly poked Luhan's shoulder, causing Luhan to wince.

"What's up?" Luhan asked, rubbing his shoulder.

"Not much..." Donghae glanced around the classroom. "We got some hot chicks in here..." he mumbled to Luhan.

Luhan looked around, finally noticing the girls, and smirked. "This year should be fun." he laughed.

"Ohhh yeah. Very fun." Donghae was eyeing a girl's chest. "Very fun indeed.".

The class slowly filled, chattering voices making Luhan's ears almost burst. The dark oak door suddenly burst open, a loud thwack sounding, and a considerably angry looking teacher striding to his desk at the head of the room. His hair was a golden, sun-like color, while his eyes were grey and cold looking, like the moon. Every student instantly hopped into their seats when they heard him clear his throat. Luhan saw his room-mate making a 'well damn' face, causing Luhan let out a snicker.

"Hey... Luhan." the teacher called out.

Luhan's deer like eyes widened, his body growing cold and covering in goosbumps. He coughed into his shoulder. "Y-yes Mr. Wu?".

"Shut up." the teacher smirked, receiving giggled from the class and even Luhan himself.

The teacher proceeded to do what every teacher does, take roll. He drummed his fingers against the edge of his desk, obviously, he was still in summer mode. Luhan dazed in and out of the roll call, only snapping back to reality when he remembered to listen for his name.

"Kwon Mina." Mr. Wu looked up at the class when no voice spoke up. "I said... Kwon Mina." he asked the air a little louder.

He quickly counted the seats, and eventually spotted the empty chair at the very back right corner. Just as he was about to stand, the door burst open again, and two out of breath girls stood there, their chests falling up and down quickly, yet their eyes were bright and excited. Every pair of eyes turned to them, a few giggled here and there, and even a whistle from Donghae. Said man quickly felt an arm jab into his ribs and looked over to see a smiling Luhan with a finger to his lips.

Mr. Wu furrowed his eyebrows, his jaw slightly dropped, and a confused looking glare was plastered on his face. He cleared his throat again. "Kwon Mina?" he spoke.

The smaller girl in front of the other's eyes brightened up almost immediately. She grinned a wide grin and practically jumped into the classroom. "Kris!" she exclaimed. "It's the stranger from the market! I'm so happy to hear you again!" she laughed.

Luhan cocked his head. Wait... hear? Why didn't she say 'see you again'? Meh... weird.

Kris's eyes seemed to almost pop out of his head. Before he could speak, the girl, Mina, loudly spoke again.

"Forgive me for being late! My unnie and I had trouble getting here! It's as if we had lost all five of our senses." Mina pointed behind her back to the empty space. "Unnie probably is gone by now? Yeah... she has class as well... anyway, how late am I? Hope the teacher doesn't get too upset!" she touched her pointer fingers together.

"Uhm... Mina... you're pretty late and... I'm the... yeah, uhm... teacher." the teacher nervously rubbed the back of his neck.

"I am!? You are!? Woah!" she broke out into a wider grin. "Gosh. I'm so sorry! You didn't tell me you were a teacher! Aish, I feel silly. Wheres my seat?" she asked, eyes wide.

Mr. Wu pointed to the empty chair. "Right corner chair." he said, gaining his voice back.

"Thank you!" Mina chuckled.

She almost floated to her seat afterwards. Keeping three fingers on the desks to her right as she walked, she eventually found her seat and sat down with a smile.

"Well that was a bit strange. But... let me just explain. I met Ms. Kwon and her sister at a market over the summer when I helped them with their groceries. Oh, and none of you are to call me Kris... understood? Yeah. Alright. We only have three more minutes of home room, so let's just get on with this." the teacher quickly snapped back to his cold self.

Luhan dazed in and out of his thoughts again. He wondered why the girl hadn't known who the teacher was. I mean, seriously! He's the older dude with the neck tie. Kinda obvious. He wondered why she was so bubbly and cheerful. I love cute girls like that... maybe I can get with her? He asked every question there was to ask, before out of the blue, he heard, '

"Luhan." the teacher stared down at Luhan like a dumb animal.

"Here." Luhan slowly raised his hand.

"Oh! Luhan!" Mina burst from her seat in the back. "I love your name!" she spoke to the air above her.

Wait... if she's talking to me... why won't she look at me? Is she just really dumb?

"No calling out Ms. Kwon." Mr. Wu corrected.

"Sorry!" Mina piped down.

"Just don't do it again." Mr. Wu continued.


"Hey, Mina?" Luhan gently tapped said girl's shoulder as kids brushed past them and ran to class.

Mina whipped around and smiled... again. "Luhan, right?" she pointed her finger.

"Yeah. Can I ask you a question?" Luhan looked her straight in the eye, while Mina looked slightly to Luhan's right.

"Go ahead! My class is super close, so a quick question can't hurt." she accepted.

Just as Luhan was about to open his mouth, Mina quickly revealed, "I'm blind.".

The two stood in an awkward silence, the world around them disappearing.

"I was gonna ask why you walk with your hand against the walls... but I guess I just solved that mystery." Luhan stared at Mina.

God damn, she really is cute.

"That's usually the first question people ask me. Something along the lines of, 'Why are you so weird?', 'Why do you stare at the wall like that?' and more." Mina shrugged. "And my unnie's deaf, so that also kinda explains why we were so late." she recalled, shifting her books from one arm to the other.

"You're blind!?" a random kid piped up from behind Luhan.

"Oh my gosh, you really can't see anything!?" another shouted.

Soon, crowds of kids pushed Luhan away and back far enough that he was right in front of his class. Something in him worried about Mina. What if they're teasing her? What if they're bullying her? I hope she doesn't get pushed around, like what just happened to me. I hope she's safe. After much thought, Luhan simply walked into his class, which was math for the next forty-five minutes. Internally, he felt guilty, but he tried to tell himself that he doesn't even know her, and that she was probably gonna be fine and make friends and everything. He was wrong.


Two years later...

Luhan entered the large cafeteria, quickly spotting Donghae and practically running to see his friend. Almost a second after he sat down, he began stuffing his face with chips and soda, of course the typical teenage boy's diet.

"So... truth or dare?" Donghae asked out of nowhere.

Luhan gagged on his food. "I'm sorry, but, what the actual eff Donghae?",

"Hey, I'm bored." Donghae shrugged.

"Fine. Uhm... dare." Luhan playfully pouted, feeling brave.

"Ok... I dare you to flirt with..." Donghae paused, letting the suspense fill in.

"What? One of the popular chicks?" Luhan crossed his arms, feeling a little disappointed in his friend's lack of creativity.

"Kwon Mina. Class weirdo.".