I Remember

I Remember

 

You rush out of the house calling out to Emily, "I'll be around, call me if you need me!"

Running down in streets, splashing into multiple puddles along the way, you make it to the cafe.

 

Noticing that Darren has yet to come still, you sit at the table near the window and wait with a cup of coffee.

Within seconds, Darren arrives at the cafe, a wide grin on his face, "Sorry, I'm not familiar around this area."

You shake your head, "No, please don't be. I just got here. And thanks for coming out to begin with."

"My pleasure," he sits down across from you, politely asking the waiter for a decaf.

 

"So," he starts off, "Everything okay, right?"

You stare up at the ceiling for a while, thinking of how to summarize your incident with Daehyun, "It's just... I don't even know what's going on."

"Well, I might," Darren suggests, "Mind if you tell me the story first though?" he chuckles.

"Oh, right."

You quickly summarize your phone call with Daehyun on the phone, battling your tears in the process.

"It's like," you choke out, "He doesn't love me anymore or something. I don't even know."

He nods, deep in thought. He sighs before responding, "I'm sorry but just to point out, why are you dating this guy?"

Your startled at his question, "What?"

He bites his lip, "Like, not to be rude, but exactly, why are you going out with this guy who isn't even treating you correctly? I'm just wondering."

You deeply think of things to say, but can't come up with any on the spot. You frown, "He loves- well, I thinkthat he loves me."

"Do you love him back?" Darren asks.

You nod slowly, "Yes," you cough out before feeling tears pour out again.

Darren slowly moves his chair next to you, sitting next to you. Your knees gently touch. He whispers, "I'm sorry, please stop crying."

You nod and hastily wipe your tears, "It's okay. Thank you for coming out."

He doesn't respond, instead, he stares at your face with concerned eyes.

You look back at him, studying his eyes. You can't figure out what he's thinking.

 

The cafe door slams widely open, making a loud sound in the process. The two of you jerk your heads towards the door. You feel like you're being stabbed at your sight. You know the person at the door.

It's Daehyun.

You notice his chest huffing as he catches his breath. He maintains eye contact with you. He then looks at Darren with stern eyes.

Before you know it, he walks up to your table and grabs Darren by the collar of his shirt.

"What the..." Daehyun steadies his voice as he holds Darren, "Why is she crying..."

You suddenly realize that your eyes are still soaked with tears, you stand, "DaehyunStop. Leave him alone, he didn't do anything."

Daehyun continues eyeing Darren, you notice the panic in Darren's eyes.

"Oppa!" you yell, "Stop! He didn't do anything, I swear. He was trying to cheer me up!"

Daehyun slowly drops Darren's shirt, looking straight at you with confusion, "Why? Why, why, why are you crying, ____?"

You bite your lip, trying to come up with an explanation.

Darren softly asks next to you, "____, is this your boyfriend?"

Daehyun shoots out a fist but you block it, "Damn right I am! And you, what are you, lover boy?" he yells.

Darren gets up, challenging Daehyun, they eye each other in silence.

Darren breaks it, "You want to know who's making your girl cry? Well ask yourself that! I'm here for her and you clearly aren't!"

You notice that his words sting Daehyun, he turns to you, eyes widening in concern, "____? I'm making you cry?"

You bite your lip, feeling tears pouring out of your eyes once again. Oh God, stop crying.

Darren answers for you, "You sure know to upset a girl. Not talking to her in weeks? Not even texting? And you're surprised that she's upset? How could you even do this to her? Look at her, isn't she going through enough already?"

Daehyun looks at you, he frowns, "____, is he right? Am I the reason..."

You shut your eyes painfully and nod.

Not being able to see his reaction, you run out the cafe in tears.