I Remember

I Remember

 

Emily comes home about half an hour later, immediately apologizing for making you walk in the rain.

"It's fine," you shake your head, "Bang came to give me a ride."

"I know," Emily smiles but immediately her face falls.

"What?"

Emily looks away and sighs, "It's just... Bang told me what happened."

You bite your lip, "Is he pissed?"

She shakes her head, "No, of course not." She makes eye contact with you, "Who was that guy, really?"

You continue biting your lip, not knowing how to respond.

Emily asks softly, "He's not your new boyfriend or anything, right?"

You shoot your eyes at her, "No. Why? Why do you and Bang keep thinking that I'm two-timing?"

She holds her hands up defensively, "I'm not. We're not saying that, I swear. The guy just seems-"

"Okay," you snap, "His name is Darren, he's one of my only friends at school. He didn't want to see me walk alone so he brought an umbrella and tagged along. I didn't even ask him to be with me, I swear."

She nods, taking in your words, "Alright."

She gets up to leave the room. You wrinkle your eyebrows in confusion, "Alright? That's it?"

Emily smiles, "_____, I was just wondering. I'm not trying to be nosy or anything, I was just curious. Same for Bang, we weren't accusing you of anything."

You take note of this and weakly smile. Realizing your wrongdoings, you softly whisper, "I'm sorry."

You decide to text Bang later that night, knowing that he most likely won't answer till morning, you want to lift the guilt off of your shoulders.

"I'm really sorry about earlier. I was being too rational, I don't know what I was doing. I shouldn't have said any of those things. I'm sorry. Thank you for the ride." After rereading the message about ten times, you finally hit send.

You lay on the couch, deep in thought.

Within ten minutes, your phone notifies you with a text. It's from Bang.

You eagerly open it, it reads, "It's okay. I'm sorry for being nosy and asking. No problem about the ride."

You smile to yourself, relieved that you're officially forgiven now. But after thinking it over a bit, you realize something.

Didn't Bang say that they aren't allowed to have their phones?

You waste no time and dial your boyfriend's number.

He answers immediately, "Hello?" he mumbles.

Your heart sinks at his reply, "Um... Hi."

"Oh, ____, it's so nice to hear your voice again. How's everything?" he clearly is now awake.

You bite your lip, holding back your emotions, "It's... Everything's okay."

"That's good," you imagine him nodding on the phone, "Oh and I forgot to let you know, Himchan's doing much better."

You feel a smile creep up on you, "That's good, when could I visit?"

An awkward silence comes in.

"Visit..." You hear Daehyun muttering things to himself, "I'm not sure."

You frown. Is he avoiding me? you ask yourself.

"Oh, okay."

"Listen," Daehyun speaks up, "I'm really sorry for not calling or contacting you in so long. I really do miss you. I'm just... Aish, so busy."

You quickly snap, "It's okay, I understand."

"Thanks, _____. Oh, I'll call you come other time, okay?"

You begin to tear up, "Oh. Okay."

"Love you," he whispers softly.

You snap a quick, "Mhmm," before hanging up.

 

You fall back onto your bed, torn that Daehyun is pushing you away from him. You consistently remind yourself that he does still love you and to stop being so clingy, but then again, you can't help but remember the fact that he hasn't even tried to contact you in weeks.

The excuse is always work.

Now to you, it's bull.

Feeling tears pouring down your face, you roll on your bed, trying to stop thinking of Daehyun.

You scramble through your phone's contacts and find a familiar name.

A number that you have never called before.

Without a second thought, you dial it.

"Yes... Who is this?" A familiar voice answers.

You smile, "Darren, it's me, ____. Could you come out for a cup of coffee with me right now?"