I Remember

I Remember

 

You still haven't seen Daehyun. Because of Channie's injury, work has been taking over his schedule completely, he's been rehearsing non-stop and promoting One Shot practically every other day. He hardly gets the chance to text you, even.

It's driving you insane. You miss him more than ever.

Thankfully, you now have school. So you're no longer just sitting around all day doing nothing. You study during your free time now.

Emily drops you off at school today, like any other day. You wave her goodbye as you enter the building.

It's a typical school building, in your opinion, the only difference is that music is the energy that sparks life here. Everyone in this school is somewhat skilled in music in some way, some even come from different regions of the world to study abroad. You, on the other hand, are only here because you love music (and you just barely got accepted).

You walk into your first period classroom a little early. You're the first one here so you claim a seat by the window.

You sit and begin to read, quite easily, you become mesmerized in your book.

"What are you reading over there?" you hear a voice next to you.

You drop your book at the sight of a young man reading off of your shoulder. You nervously laugh, "You seriously scared the crap out of me." You bend down to pick up your book but he beats you to it, he hands the book back to you and weakly smiles.

"Sorry, I hope that you could find your page. I didn't mean to scare you."

You shake your head, "It's fine, luckily, I remember what chapter I'm on."

He opens out his hand for a handshake, "My name is Darren, by the way."

You smile and shake his hand, "_____."

He nods, "Nice to meet you, _____. May I ask, by the way, what you're reading?"

You nod, "It's titled Please Look After Mom, have you heard of it before?"

"I have not actually," he shakes his head, "Never read it but heard of it."

"It's an amazing book," you add in.

"I should read it sometime."

"You should," you nod, "Actually, I don't mind lending it to you when I'm finished."

He smiles brightly, "Are you serious?"

"Yeah!" you smile back, "You're in my class, right? So we'll see each other a lot."

He smiles again and takes the seat next to you, "Mind if I sit here? Do you have a friend coming or something?"

You shake your head, "I'm kind of new to here so I don't have any friends..."

"Well now you do," he winks.

You blush and look away for a second.

He takes this as his cue to stop flirting, he clears his throat, "So, I heard that this book is about moms."

You laugh, "That's why it's titled, Please Look After Mom, silly!"

His white skin turns red and he chuckles, "Your mom must be really glad to know that you're reading this."

You turn a little quiet, and quickly whisper, "Um... I don't have a mom."

You see him take a step back, regretful of his words, "Oh my... Oh my God. I'm really sorry."

You shake your head, fighting back some tears, "No, it's fine. It's fine. I'm just overreacting. I have a step-mom and a dad, so I guess that it's alright."

He nods in understanding, not sure of how to respond.

 

Quickly students start entering the room, one by one, and within ten minutes, the first bell goes off. The teacher enters, welcoming everyone with a fair smile. He quickly goes off with his lesson about the history of some famous musicians.

You want to stab your eyes out after one point. All of this is common knowledge for you.

You deeply sigh with annoyance to yourself and Darren takes note of this. He quickly scribbles on a post-it and passes it to you.

"Know this already too? It'll be an easy A for us."

You nod and write on the back of the post-it, "Sorry for being a bothersome earlier. About my mom, it's not really a big deal. She died with cancer when I was younger. I should seriously get over it by now. I do have a step-mom too." You pass the note back to him.

After he reads it, he shakes his head at you in disbelief, he quickly scribbles on another post-it note and slides it over. "I'm really sorry to hear about your mom. And it's okay to be a little sad about her. I get it. I really do. I never lost a parent before but I'm pretty sure that it's okay to miss her and be a little emotional about the topic. Again, I'm sorry for bringing her up. My fault."

Now you eye him in disbelief, you write, "I don't really understand why you keep apologizing but it's okay. And it is okay to be a little emotional, I know. But I'm not very proud of it."

"Why are you so hard on yourself? It's okay to be a little emotional."

"It's a long story."

"We have time."

You look at him for a second, taking in a deep breath before writing. He patiently waits. You slip the note across the table towards him. He slowly reads to himself.

"Basically, I'm currently suffering from Amnesia, apparently. I was in a car wreck, yeah. And so according to doctors, that's the reason why I cry so much now but I don't like it. Crying is weakness to my eyes."

He looks over at you, wrinkling his eyebrows in thought. He mouths, "I'm so sorry."

You smile and mouth back a "Thank you".