UNREQUITED LOVE

UNREQUITED LOVE

UNREQUITED LOVE

Chapter 24

 

“Hi..” Hyo said awkwardly as she entered the boys’ room.

“Sooyoung’s with me too.”

“Isn’t this quite familiar?” Doojoon joked as he closed the door behind the girls.

“Yong.” Soo quickly went to Yong who was now sitting in their couch in front of the tv.

“Do they know about –J.J.’s favor? I’ve been trying hard not to get caught by them. What do they want to talk now.” Yong thought to himself.

When Hyo and Doojoon have also positioned themselves in the couch, Hyo started talking.

“I know that this is an awkward situation right now Yong, especially since Doojoon asked us to do this. So let’s get straight to the point, uhm… are you ok Yong?”

Yong looked at Doojoon, confused why his bestfriend would ask the help of these two to ask him about his feelings?

“Yeah. Never been better.”

“He’s lying.” Hyo said affirmatively at Doojoon.

“Right? I knew it! I’ve been asking him that question too lately and he’s my bestfriend, and I’m not sure if he’s lying because he would never lie to me.” Doojoon said, as if enlightened by this and looked at Yong.

“Yong, why would you lie to me after all these years. We keep no secrets from each other right?”

Yong looked at all of them without any emotions. Blunt as he always was.

Sooyoung who was silently observing finally said,

“Yong, I know this is about –J.J., tell us.”

“There’s nothing wrong Soo.”

“Are you sure you don’t have anything to tell us? Because we know something.” Hyo said menacingly.

For a minute, Yong thought that they knew about –J.J.’s favor towards him but he tried to play his cards and acted distantly to them.

“Tell me what you know because as for me, I don’t have anything to say, really.”

“Oh come on Yong!” Doojoon said, almost out of patience.

“I’m sorry Doojoon, I have to do this. If I had to go away from Hyun, I can’t have all of you knowing the reason why. You might try to get us back together and put Hyun’s life in danger. I have to do this once and for all; to protect Hyun and to make our lives normal once again.” Yong thought silently to himsel.

“Well if you’re not telling us anything or as what you say, nothing’s wrong. I would like to ask, what happened to “I’m going to tell Hyun everything about my past…” Hyo said, copying Yong’s words.

“I decided not to tell her that anymore.”

“WHAT? WHY?” Doojoon and Hyo said.

“Yeah Yong, what about –J.J.?” Sooyoung also added.

“It’s best that Hyun doesn’t know.”

“Don’t you want her to know that we’re twins? Aren’t you going to introduce her to our dad? Aren’t you going to tell her about our mom once we visit her during our school trip?” Sooyoung continued; teary eyed.

“No. I’m going to tell her that I came from abroad and that I’ve never met my real parents.”

“Why? Is she not worth the truth Yong?” Yong looked sharply at Sooyoung and said,

“Don’t say that Soo. Hyun’s worth every damn truth but I’m not sure that it’s necessary for her to know everything. Given the fact and the danger that we will put her through once she knows about –J.J.!”

“So this is still about –J.J Yong!?” Hyo also added,

“You’re not telling us something Yong! Did –J.J. said or do anything that you’re not telling us?”

“No.” Yong calmly said and looked outside their apartment through the window.

He can’t bear to look at their faces as he tells them more lies.

“-J.J. did not do anything.” He looked at them and continued.

“I don’t know who –J.J. is and I’ve thought and thought and thought about what is best for Hyun because right now, it’s what only matters for me.”

“And?” Hyo said again.

“And it’s best that she doesn’t know anything.”

“But don’t you think that keeping her from the dark about your past is keeping her from a part of who you truly are Yong?” Doojoon said and continued,

“I mean. Sooyoung, your dad, your past; they’re the reason why you came here. To find yourself. They’re also the reason, I assume, why you’ve stayed here too, despite the danger that –J.J. has presented.”

Yong reflected on what Doojoon said and still stood by his judgement.

“So Yong, aren’t you going to tell us anything?” Doojoon asked.

“Like what I said, there’s nothing to tell.”

“Well if you don’t have anything to say, I want to say something.” Hyo said with a loud voice.

“Hyo, no.” Soo tried to stop her.

“I know that Hyun should be the one to tell him this but I just can’t help seeing Hyun like that; gloomy, sullen and always preoccupied with thoughts.”

“Hyun? What’s wrong with Hyun?” Yong quickly asked upon hearing that Hyun is unhappy.

“Yong, do you really like Hyun?” Sooyoung asked.

Yong thought about it, whether what would be the best answer.

And he decided to answer with his heart.

“Yes.”

“Well then. Hyun told us that all your efforts would just be, how should I say this, “for the time being”.”

“What?” Yong said, confused. Doojoon was confused too.

“What Hyo’s trying to say is, we all know that Hyun’s no ordinary girl. You’re her first Yong. First love.” Sooyoung tried to explain.

“Not to mention first kiss!” Hyo also reminded him.

“Aaaaand..” Soo continued looking at Hyo saying through her eyes that that statement wasn’t necessary.

“Hyun’s scared that what if you’re only doing sweet things to her for the time being. And in time, you get tired of her and leave her, like what most men do.”

“What? Who said that? Most men don’t do that! Look at me and Hyo. I never left her! And I’m sure Yong wouldn’t do that to Hyun too!” Doojoon reacted immediately, defending his bestfriend.

“Yes we know that. That’s what I told Hyun too.” Sooyoung answered him.

“But we just want to confirm it. We’re also just trying to protect Hyun as much as you try to protect Yong babe.” Hyo answered Doojoon too.

Then all three of them looked at Yong, hwaiting for his answer.

“Well, she entered into a relationship like what we have now, why isn’t she willing to take risks of getting hurt for it?” Yong answered them bluntly again.

“WHAT DID YOU SAY!?” Hyo shouted as she grabs Yong by the shoulder, making him look at her.

Sooyoung tried to stop her and Doojoon grabbed Hyo from the back to stop her too.

In that position, Soo also spoke.

“Yong? Why would you say that? Don’t tell me you have plans of hurting her?”

“Yeah! Because if you’re going to do that, it would be best for you to break up with Hyun now and then she can go, meet and fall for the guy that her parents want her to meet!”

“Hyo!” Sooyoung shouted.

And Hyo realized that it slipped through .

She should have not said anything about that but she did!

“What?” Yong looked at her.

“She’s going to meet another man?” Hyo let go of Yong and looked the other way and said,

“She was worried thinking about whether this time she should disobey her parents because of you and then we didn’t know what to say and that’s why we wanted to know your real feelings for her to make things sure.”

“Does Hyun know you’re here?” Yong asked both Hyo and Soo.

And they both answered in unison.

“No.”

“Is she going to tell me about this new guy?”

And again they both answered.

“No.”

“Do you know who the new guy is?”

And again they answered,

“No.”

And with that, Yong walked out of their apartment and closed the door angrily behind him.