UNREQUITED LOVE

UNREQUITED LOVE

 

 

UNREQUITED LOVE

CHAPTER 4

 

Seohyun could barely walk. She wasn’t even done processing the butterfly feelings that she has for Yonghwa and now she would be sitting next to him?!

“I think I’m going to have a heart attack!” Seohyun thought.

But opposite to her running emotions are, she handled the situation calmly and bowed to their homeroom teacher and went to her assigned seat.

“Normal school or not, I’m pretty sure that what’s happening right now is far beyond what I understand as normal!” Seohyun thought to herself again.

When Seohyun took her seat, Sooyoung, a tall, classy looking girl, overflowing with charisma and has long, silky hair and huge cheekbones with deep round eyes, smiled to Seohyun and passed her a piece of paper.

“Hi Seohyun, I’m Choi Sooyoung” she said, still smiling.

“I’m Hyoyeon’s friend. This is our school prospectus. It was distributed by our assistant principal yesterday. You can have mine.”

 “Uhm, thank you.”

“It’s the first time I saw Hyoyeon so excited. I guess she really likes you that much, which makes me like you too.” Sooyoung continued saying.

“Tha-thank you. I’m Seo-”

“Yes, I know. You already introduced yourself.”

“I know you are getting to know each other, Sooyoung and Seohyun, but do you mind doing that after class since we’re still having one right now.” Their teacher scolded them. Sooyoung and Seohyun looked at each other and they both laughed.

 

DURING THEIR BREAK.

Sooyoung and Seohyun sat under a huge, old tree across their soccer field. A lot of students are looking at them because of the outstanding beauty both of them possess.

“Have you eaten already?” Sooyoung asked.

“Yea.” Seohyun lied.

An exceptionally tall man, who has dark hair with a captivating smile, approached them.

“Goodmorning Sooyoung, you still remember me right? I’m Choi Siwon of IV-A. If you have time this week, maybe we can go out and have dinner or whatever you prefer?

“Goodmorning Siwon, I’m sorry but my schedule’s full this week and the week after. I’m sorry, I can’t.”

“Oh I understand.” Siwon said and smiled at Sooyoung. He also smiled at Seohyun and said,

“Hi, you’re Seo Joo-Hyun, right? You’re the one the board is talking about. I’m Choi Siwon, nice to meet you.” He said and extended his hand to Seohyun. Seohyun took his hand and said,

“Nice to meet you too.”

Once Siwon left, Seohyun asked Sooyoung,

“If you don’t mind me asking, who was that guy?” Sooyoung let out an exasperated sigh and said,

“He’s just a senior student and president of our school’s officers. He has been asking me out, but I keep on saying no.”

“What does ‘asking you out’ means?” Seohyun asked with innocence while Sooyoung laughed modestly.

“It’s when a guy wants to take a girl to dinner, to watch a movie or simply taking her for a walk. He does that so that they can get to know each other.” Hyoyeon interrupted while approaching them.

“You mean, just the two of them?” Seohyun asked again. Sooyoung and Hyoyeon laughed at her naive question.

“Yes, it means that Siwon likes Sooyoung, that’s why he wants to spend time with her.”

“Don’t you like Siwon too, Sooyoung?” Seohyun asked Sooyoung, trying to understand the logic underneath the word “like.”

“Yes, I like him. But it’s complicated. He’s the rich type, while I’m just nobody compared to him.” Sooyoung replied.

“What are you talking about Sooyoung? You’ve won the Search for Mr. and Miss Shibuya last year! Your face is practically anywhere because of the modeling career you’re having right now!

“That’s exactly the point, we came from different worlds. He’s born rich, while me on the other hand. . ”

“Well I think, what really matters is what he feels for you. The guy has been asking you out ever since I could remember!” Hyoyeon practically shouted at Sooyoung, then her tone became serious,

“You’ve even managed to lead other boys out, making them think that you actually have feelings for them. Now that you have someone whom you have actual feelings with, you don’t do anything! What’s wrong with you? Seriously!” Hyoyeon almost seemed like in the middle of scolding Sooyoung.

And then they both paused and looked at Seohyun who was deeply lost with her own thoughts. Seohyun wasn’t able to understand what Hyoyeon and Sooyoung talked about because the moment she heard what Hyoyeon said, ‘It’s when a guy wants to take a girl to dinner, to watch a movie or simply taking her for a walk. He does that so that they can get to know each other. . .’

“Yonghwa and I have already walked together last night; does it mean that he also likes me? But that’s crazy! Why would he like me that quickly? I mean, I liked him that quickly too, but does it mean that he also feels the same way about me? No-No-No, that can’t be! Can it? Ohh, I hope so!!”

 Seohyun’s line of thought got interrupted when Hyoyeon spoke to her and said,

“Hey, Seohyun? Are you ok? Your face is all red!” Seohyun covered her face while Sooyoung and Seohyun looked at each other, trying to apprehend what was happening to their friend.

“It’s nothing. I just- I just thought of something.” Seohyun tried to control herself.

“Do you like Siwon, that’s why you’re blushing?” Hyoyeon asked while Sooyoung had a curious look on her face.

“Nooo! It’s not that. Uhm, may I ask what does ‘LIKE’ really mean?” Hyoyeon and Sooyoung both had a surprised look on their face and wondered where have Seohyun been all her life.

Is there really such a person who does not know anything about liking another person?

“Well, how do we really explain ‘LIKE’?” Hyoyeon answered Seohyun,

“It’s a feeling that suddenly appears. I mean, it’s really quite hard to explain. It just happens. You just feel it suddenly for someone and it doesn’t really goes away easily. You just can’t stop thinking about that someone every minute of every day.” Hyoyeon finished with a distant look and a slight smile on her face.

Sooyoung and Seohyun also shared that same look, probably thinking about Siwon and Yonghwa, respectively.

Seohyun thought about Yonghwa with Hyoyeon’s words again,

“It just happens . . . you feel it. . .and you can’t stop thinking about that person.”

And she has finally led to a conclusion that indeed, SHE LIKES JUNG YONGHWA. <3

Their silent moment got interrupted when a soccer ball came flying to them. All three girls shouted in surprise and just when Seohyun looked at the soccer players shouting at them, a figure went to them.

“I’m sorry if it caused you a scare. One of our teammates kicked it too far and..” He looked at Seohyun and Seohyun looked at him.

It was Yonghwa!

Seohyun could not speak! She just kept on looking at Yonghwa while Yonghwa looked at Sooyoung and Hyoyeon.

“What you did was just ungentlemanly! Tell your teammate that if I’d want to, I can kick this ball straight to his face. Understand?” Hyoyeon said, the ball in one of her hand while her other hand was on her hips. Sooyoung doesn’t seem to care nor look at Yonghwa.

“There’s no need for that especially with your reputation; we all know that my teammate would not want to cross paths or cause a fight with you. I’m sorry again for disturbing your break.” Yonghwa said coolly and took the ball from Hyoyeon.

“Your teammate might not want to, but as for you Yonghwa, anytime would be great.” Hyoyeon called out.

 

“Jeez, soccer players! I could have kicked their asses one by one. Excluding Yonghwa’s of course.” Hyoyeon continued saying once she made sure that Yonghwa can’t hear her anymore.

“What about him?” Seohyun asked, all too quickly. Sooyoung and Hyoyeon looked at each other. Sooyoung spoke first,

“There are a lot of things you still don’t know about everything here Seohyun. What would you like to know first?” Sooyoung asked Seohyun with a calm voice.

Seohyun had a lot of questions, especially after hearing a lot of things during this short break. It was a lot to process. But amidst all that, the only person in her mind right now is …

“Let me guess.” Hyoyeon said promptly.

“You’d like to know about Yonghwa, right? That’s usually the case for new students here too, though I still don’t see what everyone sees in him. I mean, Doojoon is much manlier than he is!” Hyoyeon said and laughed while Sooyoung have suddenly become very silent.

“But first, you have to honestly answer one question. One question and it would be equivalent to all the questions that you’ll ask.

 “Ok. What would you like to know?” Seohyun asked bravely.

“Do you like Yonghwa?” Seohyun and Sooyoung both had a surprised expression.

Seohyun blushed again and could barely answer Hyoyeon’s upfront question.

“Uhm, I don’t know.” Seohyun answered, focusing on the ground.

“Did you have love at first sight when you saw him in our classroom? I mean, I’m pretty sure both of you haven’t introduced yourself with each other, right?” Hyoyeon asked.

“Well, actually . . .” and Seohyun proceeded into telling them about what happened the other night, how she actually lived a very different life before, how she came to Shibuya because her parents had a sudden change of heart, how she went out to look for something to eat and instead ended up getting chased by a crazy guy. She also told them that indeed she liked Yonghwa at first sight, especially when she had a clear view of Yonghwa and how gentlemanly he is. She told them about how the warmth of his coat made her feel safe when he put it on her.

“He actually walked me to my apartment. Then I also found out that he actually lives in the same building that I live in. I really don’t understand what I’m feeling right now, and when you started talking about ‘like’, I don’t know. . . I’ve never felt this ever since. I never knew that such feelings could exist. I’m so confused. I could barely sleep last night. I . . I don’t know what to do or to say. He’s always in my mind. Will it always be this way? I mean, if you like someone? Because if it does, then . . .” Seohyun was finally lost for words, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon actually pitied her because of her sudden outburst of emotions.

Hyoyeon, as usual, spoke first;

“First of all, WOW! You’re a rich kid too? Just like Siwon? I never knew, you were such a down to earth kind of person. Now, about Yonghwa,” Hyoyeon paused and looked at Sooyoung who seems to look away and act like she’s outside the box when they talk about Yonghwa, and continued,

“About Yonghwa, I must say that it’s typical of him. There are a lot of things that you must know about us and everyone else Seohyun, let’s begin with Yonghwa.”

 

END OF CHAPTER 4