UNREQUITED LOVE

UNREQUITED LOVE

 UNREQUITED LOVE

CHAPTER 2

                               

                        “Finally, I have unpacked all the things that I brought. I know dad said I should bring only a few, but I can’t leave all my stuff toys at home, so far they’re all I’ve got as company.” Seohyun said watching the pile of stuff toys on her bed, then she let out a huge sigh.

She was inside her new apartment and it was quite big. She had a medium sized bed, a study table along with different novels arranged horizontally on top of the table, a couch in front of a television set and a small kitchen. Seohyun thought about her home, and how much she misses the people there, even if it has not yet been a day since she left.

Lost on her own thoughts, she did not realize that she had not eaten since she left home this morning, until her stomach made a sound and she laughed at herself.

Seohyun was also excited to explore the different world that awaits her, and so she decided to eat outside for dinner.

            While walking aimlessly, trying to find a good restaurant to eat, Seohyun finally saw what a normal world looks like. She thought to herself

“Wow, girls wear really short skirts around here and everything looks so colorful. There are lights everywhere!” Seohyun took a deep breath and continued walking.

“The city smells different from the smell we had at home, well it looks quite different too.” She thought with a smile.

As she continued walking, she walked pass through different people, men and women hand in hand, kissing each other along the side walk, families gathered together and once she saw a cop running, trying to catch a person holding a bag. But she did not understand what was happening, so she simply continued walking.

“Hey miss, can I get you number? You look so hot and fresh.” A guy, about three centimeters taller than Seohyun, called to her.

She did not understand why a guy would say something so inappropriate like that, so she just kept walking. Little does she know that that same guy followed her. Once she realized that he was following her, she tried to walk faster. Her heart was beating so fast and she did not know what to do.

“Why is that guy following me? He looks so scary. Dad, help! What does he want? Where should I go? Should I run?” Seohyun argued with herself and heard the guy calling again.

“Hey miss, just one night! I know you want to. Don’t be so coy. Why are you playing hard to get?” After saying this, the guy started running after Seohyun.

When Seohyun saw that the guy was after her, she tried to run as well but then the guy grabbed her left arm and pulled her in a dark and secluded area. The guy pushed her on the wall and grabbed both her upper arms.

“Please you’re hurting me.” Seohyun pleaded.

“You think you’re so pretty huh? You just had to walk away from me? All I wanted was one kiss, but now, you made me work hard to get you.” The guy said and pulled Seohyun’s hair so that her neck would be exposed.

“Please, I don’t know you. I . . . please, don’t. Hel--!” Seohyun tried to shout but the guy covered with his other hand and seized her with his body.

Seohyun closed her eyes while tears started running through her eyes.

When Seohyun thought that it was finally the end for her, the crushing weight that held her disappeared and there was a shrill sound of a man being slammed against the wall. All at once, a shadow seemed to fly across her. Then she heard a grunt from the guy and a voice;

 “Such a low and cowardly thing to do as a man, I know your kind. You pick your victims carefully and you choose innocent, weak women who have no one to protect them from scums like you. But you have chosen the wrong woman this time. You have unfortunately chosen my girlfriend, of all people. You leave her alone or I will smear you all over Shibuya. Do you understand? Do you even know who I am? Because if you do, you know how true my threats are. Leave. Now.” The man said with finality in his voice.

Seohyun was quite shock after hearing the man’s words. “Gi- girlfriend? What does he mean?” she thought and looked at the man whose face was covered by the darkness.

The guy ran his wits out as fast as he can. Seohyun dropped into the floor and was still shivering from the scary experience she just had. She wrapped her hands around herself, as if she could protect herself from doing so.

The man took off his coat and covered Seohyun with it. The coat is still warm,

“The heat of his body still lingered from the coat.” Seohyun thought to herself and it actually made her feel safe.

The man said, “Are you ok? Were you hurt?” and handed her a handkerchief.

After getting a coffee with the man who saved her life, Seohyun has finally recovered from the traumatic experience.

“Uhm, thank you for-” Seohyun tried to speak but the man cut her off.

“It was nothing.”

As Seohyun looked at the man’s face, she felt a blush crept through her face.

“He’s so handsome. He looks so mysterious and silent and aloof, um what should I say?” Seohyun thought to herself and said

“I’m Seo Joo Hyun. Um, I’m new here and I – um, I will give your handkerchief back to you once I have it dry cleaned.”

 “Keep it. I think it’s wrong to cry whenever people hurt you but by the looks of it, you should keep it in case you do.”

Suddenly, Seohyun felt something different about this man.

The man is not looking at her, but her, on the other hand, could not help but look at him! He has eyes that do not seem to give anything away. He also has a well shaped nose and his mouth seemed so soft to touch. It was like looking at a zoomed in photo.

Then suddenly, the man looked at Seohyun. “What?” he asked.

Seohyun looked away, another blush spread through her face.

“Umm, I’m sorry but I don’t know how to go home.” Seohyun said, now looking down.

“What?” the man asked in a louder tone.

“I-I’m new here and I was just looking for a restaurant to find ---“ but when Seohyun was about to say “food”, her stomach grumbled again.

And when she looked at the man, he already had an amused look.

Seohyun felt so embarrassed and could only say “I’m sorry.”

The man stood up and gave out his hands to Seohyun and said “Let’s get you some food and I’ll walk you to your house.”

After buying something to eat from the streets, Seohyun gave the man her address.

He had a shocked look at first then said,

“Do you live in this address?”

“Um, yes.” Seohyun replied.

“Well at least it would still be like walking home” the man said.

Seohyun did not really get what the man meant by what he said, but she did not ask any questions.

As they walk together, his handkerchief still in Seohyun’s hand, Seohyun could not help but wonder;

“What is this feeling that I’m feeling right now? It feels weird. I feel very happy and electric shocked. But at the same time, I could not even say anything to him. It feels like butterflies are in my stomach and it’s about to fly me around. Everything’s so perfect, the cold breeze of the night, the warmth of his coat, the colorful lights around us, the sound of music in my head, and it’s all so perfect. But I don’t even know his name.” Seohyun laughed at the thought and the man looked at her with a confused look.

She looked down again unable to look the man straight in the eye, fearing that she might literally melt if she does.

When they finally arrived at Seohyun’s apartment, the man said,

“What room?”

Seohyun answered, “Room 11.”

The man remained silent until they reached Seohyun’s room.

When they reached her room, the man waited for Seohyun to open the door and started walking away, but Seohyun called out.

“Um, excuse me.”

The man stopped walking, his back facing Seohyun. But Seohyun continued speaking;

 “Thank you for walking me home, and saving my life, and your handkerchief, and also for the food. Oh, and for telling the guy that I’m your girlfriend even if I’m not. Do you live far from here? Um, I’m sorry for asking too many questions. But may I ask for your name?”

The man remained silent for almost five seconds then looked back and said, “Yonghwa. I’m Jung Yonghwa.” and added,

 “I, actually reside in this building too.” then he smiled and walked away, leaving Seohyun, in a state of shock!

 

END OF CHAPTER 2