UNREQUITED LOVE

UNREQUITED LOVE

 

UNREQUITED LOVE

CHAPTER 35

 

After the batch visited the oldest library in the country, they headed straight to the oldest school ever built. And in there, they would stay for a fortnight.

“Why would we stay in an old school for an overnight? I mean… it’s kind of scary…” Hyo said while biting her lips as the bus they were in neared the school.

“It’s still almost 2 in the afternoon Hyo. We still have time to roam and observe the school. It’s not deserted actually. When we get there, you’ll see how great and strong the walls were built and how the local government has maintained the school in operation.” Siwon said while slightly looking back to face Hyun, Yong and Hyo who were sitting at their back seats, since he finally took the bus they were in too.

“You mean, students go to school there still?” Hyo shouted… “after all these years. The school’s what… a hundred years old or something.”

“Yeah it’s still operating… and it’s safe.” Siwon replied assuringly.

“Hyun and Yong remained silent and simply listened to their conversations as their group continued to talk.

When they finally reached the school, the students were tasked to take their luggage outside the field where tents have been put up and prepared for them to stay in.

---

“Woah… there are a lot of tents in here.” Soo said as they saw the field covered with a number of tents.

“The tents have a maximum occupancy space of three persons each.” Siwon added.

Hyo, Hyun and Soo quickly looked at each other… all three had the same idea and Siwon and Yong could do nothing but sigh in exasperation.

---

The three girls finally picked a tent for them to stay in while Yong and Siwon occupied a neighboring tent near theirs.

“Who would be our third guy Yong?” Siwon asked.

Before Yong could answer, Jinwoon stood in front of their tent with a cold smile.

“Can I stay in your tent?” He asked.

The girls peeked from their tent to see who the man was, only to find Jinwoon.

Hyun quickly went back into the tent and remembered what Jinwoon told her earlier when they were alone together.

“Hyun… Can we talk first?” he said.

“Uhh yeah.” She answered.

“Look, I’m sorry if, uhmm… I don’t know. I’m sorry if I wasn’t the guy you were expecting that your parents would introduce to you.”

Hyun looked at Jinwoon in surprise and said,

“No… I…” she looked the opposite direction; feeling like it was impossible for her to look straight into his eyes and said…

“I’m sorry if you felt that way. What my parents did really surprised me. But I appreciate you asking them to send me to normal school and for trying to give me… or us… a normal experience/interaction before… you know… before I learned the real reason.”

“I was just trying to help… believe me, when we grow old… I – I would love to remember our simple conversations and I’m uhm…” Jinwoon was saying…

“I’m sorry for acting so rude during breakfast last Saturday…” Hyun jived in.

Before Jinwoon could speak any further, Yong was on his way towards them.

Hyun considered their conversation earlier and for some reason… she kind of felt Jinwoon’s feelings and intentions for her are real.

That maybe… what Yong said was right.

And that Jinwoon wasn’t so bad as a person and a friend.”

“Sure.” She heard Yong’s voice that snapped her back to reality.

Yong agreed that Jinwoon would stay in their tent??

Hyo and Soo also went back in to their tent and whispered to themselves…

“What the hell is Yong thinking???” Hyo asked in a hushed but panicky voice.

And Soo just shrugged off.

After the students took a look around the school, the sun was already setting and the students slowly went back to the cafeteria where their dinner was served.

After dinner, students were not allowed to roam around the campus anymore. Instead, they were required to stay inside their tents and sleep early.

---

Hyo continued to turn around and move every minute while Soo and Hyun lay motionless beside her.

Hyo gave out a groan and said…

“This isn’t working.” Soo and Hyun turned their heads towards Hyo…

“What’s not working Hyo?” Hyun asked.

“It’s too early to sleep! We should be out there having a camp fire or something… I mean, they should just allow us to go out and go star gazing tonight.” Hyo answered.

“Hyo… they’re doing this for our safety. And besides, we still need to wake up early tomorrow for our next destination. We’re going to my home town you know. And besides… I don’t want to give Siwon any more stress.” Soo answered defensively.

“Chill Soo… I just think this is kind of boring… when at school trips, we should be having most fun at night.”

“Soo’s right Hyo… we still need to wake up early tomorrow and I think we’ve taken enough pictures for today.” Hyun added.

Hyo sighed and heard Hyun’s voice…

“But if you really want to go out… I can accompany you.”

Soo and Hyo abruptly sat up and said “WHAT?” in unison. Hyo’s voice was livelier while Soo’s was surprised.

“Yes!” Hyo shouted and untangled her legs with her sheet and put on her coat. Hyun did the same thing as Hyo.

“Wait guys… Hyun, you’re not seriously doing this?” Soo asked in a panicked voice.

Hyun simply smiled at her. “Oh men…” Soo moaned.

“Aren’t you going too?” Hyo asked Soo…

“I don’t know… maybe. FINE.” Soo said as she followed the other girls’ lead.

Hyo opened their tent as soundless as possible she could.

The three went out and while all the other tents were closed and silent already.

They walked on tip toes so that they won’t get caught by their head teachers. Yong and Siwon were sleeping soundly in the other tent too, side by side with Jinwoon.

“Shhhhhhh….” Hyo hushed and looked back at the other two girls following her when she heard a twig broken behind them.

“Sorry…” Hyun whispered.

“Hyo, where are we going?” Soo asked too.

“We’re going in the rooms.” Hyo answered.

Hyun and Soo’s face literally lost blood when they heard Hyo say.

“What? Why?? I thought we’re going star gazing??” Soo asked in alarm.

“Ye - yeah Hyo, it’s dark in the buildings right now.” Hyun added and looked up at the lurking dark shadows of the building.

But Hyo persisted and so the other girls followed her.

When they finally came to the building’s entrance, Soo and hyun’s knees were quivering while Hyo stood straight and anxious!

Hyun and Soo held Hyo’s arms on either side while they looked around.

“Hyo… it’s too dark. We could barely see anything, more so walk in there…” Soo said, her voice wavering.

“Don’t worry Soo….” Hyo answered with a mischievous smile while holding up her flashlight in her hand.

“Oh men….” Soo answered and hold Hyo’s arms tighter.

They proceed into entering the building the same way they stood in front.

Both Hyun and Soo hold Hyo tighter in either her arms.

“What are we trying to find here Hyo?” Hyun asked.

“Ghosts…” Hyo answered while she heard Hyun and Soo’s whine.

---

When they finally reached deeper the building, everything seemed different from what they’ve seen this afternoon. Everything seemed too dark and different.

All three could hear each other’s heavy breaths with the cold air inside the building.

“I don’t like this Hyo… maybe we should go back…” Soo said and Hyun agreed.

Just when, they heard a loud bang from one of the rooms. Soo and Hyun whimpered upon hearing the noise and Hyo tried to listen carefully and find where the noise came from.

Then another loud bang came and another and another. IT seemed like the seats and tables of the classroom were moving on its own accord inside the rooms.

“Hyo… let’s go back.” Hyun finally said,

“Wait… we have to see what’s inside the classroom.” Hyo answered.

Hyun and Soo tried to pull her back when she tried to go for one of the classrooms; they could feel the air getting colder behind them.

When Hyo opened one of the doors, all three of them saw a white image near the window. The tables and chairs were scattered across the room. And all their eyes opened widely when the white image turned back to face them.

Hyun and Soo wanted to shout but they couldn’t find their voices inside, too scared to do anything.

Hyo directed the light of the flashlight to the image and before she could do it… the light turned off and the only light that illuminated the room… and the entire building… was the light from the image.

Soo shouted first and started grabbing Hyo to run into the darkness. Hyo also followed her running while Hyun followed them.

In the middle of their running, they let go of each other but they still continued to run.

When they luckily reached back into the building’s entrance despite all the darkness, they all feel into the ground with heavy breaths and quivering knees.

“What was that Hyo???” Soo asked.

“I think that was what we came for…” Hyo replied with a slight smile on her face.

But when they looked around… Hyun was nowhere beside them.

“Hyun!” Hyo and Soo shouted, looking at one another.