Chapter 6

Putting Us Back Together

The journey back to the apartment proved arduous, with both boys laden down by the boxes. They couldn't run to catch a train if that were the only way they were going to make it. The journey seemed to take twice as long as normal. Particularly because of the ache in their arms, at holding the boxes. While not particularly heavy, the longer they were held, the heavier they seemed to get, and though Yunho would never voice it aloud, carrying two boxes was doing a number on his biceps.

 

Yunho put thoughts of his aching muscles out of his mind, as he observed Jaejoong. The man looked positively rigid, and he could see the flexing of muscles in his jaw. He was very clearly agitated by the encounter with his ex-friend, though Yunho couldn't be sure exactly why. He would never admit as much to anyone else, but he was dying to find out what had happened between the two of them. He'd never heard Jaejoong talk in such icy tones, and he couldn't help a little shiver at the thought that someday he might encounter them himself.

 

But Jaejoong wouldn't say a word.

 

Until they closed the door of their apartment.

 

Both boys were relieved that they could finally toss down the boxes that had been weighing them down for so long. Looking thoughtfully down at the boxes, Yunho couldn't stop a comment from slipping past his lips, “We're definitely going to need to get you a bookshelf. And some coat hangers.”

 

But Jaejoong didn't answer him. The pressure cooker that he'd been for the last few years, couldn't handle it after everything that had happened lately. His cheeks turned a blotchy red in his anger, “Can you believe him?” he shouted, the exclamation sounding simultaneously so little like the Jaejoong he'd started getting to know as of late and so much like the old Jaejoong, that Yunho couldn't help but gasp a little in surprise.

 

“What do you mean?” he questioned carefully. One always had to be very careful about what they said whenever Jaejoong got like this. He was prone to exploding every now and again, and with how much he'd been keeping to himself as of late, Yunho wouldn't be surprised if this outburst was a big one.

 

He was usually okay, when it wasn't directed at you anyway.

 

“Him! Everything about him! Passive-aggressive bastard! He always has to be so cool, acting like he's completely not bothered by anything! I hate him!” Jaejoong raged, collapsing onto the lounge in a huff, as he finished his tirade.

 

“You were friends with him.” Yunho pointed out reasonably, not wanting to anger the other man but feeling certain that if he didn't say anything, his opportunity to interact with his old Jaejoong might slip through his fingers.

 

“Yeah we were.” Jaejoong laughed, a bitter, angry sound. “He was supposed to be my best friend. We met, and started talking after you and I...” he faltered, not really sure how to describe what happened between them all those years ago. Though Yunho had never expressly told him what had happened, Jaejoong had attempted to fill in the blanks for himself. The answer he'd constructed, though made him feel so self-conscious, that he couldn't bring himself to speak it aloud.

 

“I recall seeing the two of you together” Yunho agreed, unable to resist the slight dig, “From what I recall, you didn't look like you liked one another that much.” Jaejoong grinned a little at the comment. “I'm not sure whether we did or not.” he admitted.

 

“You thought the two of you were friends; of course you thought you liked each other.” Yunho stated, confidently, confidingly. Jaejoong glared at Yunho for the comment, wanting to tell him that he couldn't read him anymore. But Jaejoong crumpled slightly, reluctantly admitting “I did.” with a nod.

 

Yunho padded over to the older man, seating himself on the edge of the lounge, next to the other man's stomach. Reaching across him to grasp his hand lightly, Yunho dared to voice the question that had been at the forefront of his mind, since Jaejoong had moved in a few days ago.

 

“What happened between you two?” Yunho breathed.

 

Jaejoong tensed slightly, and the way his eyes seemed to scan something Yunho couldn't see told him he was probably tossing up whether he should answer him or not. He sighed slightly, indicating to Yunho that he might be planning to answer him.

 

“He said he didn't want to be friends anymore. He didn't feel comfortable with our friendship anymore.” Jaejoong explained evasively.

 

Yunho sent him a look, he knew the other boy had received, when Jaejoong huffed again. “He said he thought I was in love with him and it made him uncomfortable, okay. Are you happy now?” he snapped irately, but the blush adorning his cheeks informed Yunho that he was just embarrassed to say the reason.

 

Something tightened in Yunho's stomach at the words, but he ignored it, not fully certain what could have caused it, but fearing his suspicions would prove true if he looked a little deeper. In the old days he'd always been very protective of Jaejoong; he'd never liked it when someone liked Jaejoong. But he'd liked it about the same amount whenever Jaejoong confessed to him that he liked someone. He supposed it had just been part of his protective nature at that time.

 

“Did you?” he queried, finding that something in him was anxiously awaiting the answer. Jaejoong's features scrunched up into a look of confusion. “No, not to my knowledge at least. But he was adamant that I was, and that, since he couldn't return my feelings we couldn't continue to live together without great discomfort and pain to the both of us. He insisted I leave that same night.” he explained, annoyed at the reminder of his rude eviction.

 

Yunho was unsettled to find that the anxious part of him had relaxed with Jaejoong's words. Relieved. He had a sudden sinking sensation that things were worse than he'd thought they were. It wasn't a good sign that he was so relieved to find that Jaejoong wasn't in love with that Yoochun guy.

 

“Good.” he breathed, the word falling from his lips before he realised he'd even spoken. Jaejoong's eyebrow quirked up in alert at the hushed word, and Yunho knew he was in trouble. He yanked his hand away from Jaejoong as though the contact were to blame for his current position.

 

Jaejoong fixed thoughtful, confused eyes on him, just waiting, observing what Yunho's reaction would be. “What was that?” Jaejoong queried, as though he hadn't heard.

 

Yunho knew that to deny his words now would only imply more guilt; that Jaejoong would take them to have some deeper meaning as a result. “I said good.” he reiterated, a little hesitant at first as his mind grabbed at the first thing that came to mind; play it off with humour. “He didn't seem like your type.” he finished with a quick little smile.

 

Jaejoong gave him a shove of indignation at the comment, “Yah! How would you have any idea what my type is?” he demanded. Jaejoong wasn't sure if he was relieved or disappointed that Yunho had only been trying to be funny.

 

“I just meant that he is kind of a douche.” Yunho explained, not wanting to dredge up the past; he knew that it was probably a painful part of Jaejoong's life, given how close they had been. Jaejoong still seemed angry about it all, for which Yunho couldn't blame him. At least Jaejoong was prepared to try being civil to him, maybe they could even become friends again. If that's what he sincerely wanted, shouldn't he try and spare Jaejoong any painful reminders that he could?

 

Jaejoong laughed a little, “Yeah he is, isn't he?” he sighed, sitting up and stretching slightly. “I can't believe I was ever friends with someone like that.” he stated, scratching the side of his head dazedly.

 

“How does that even work?” Yunho chimed.

 

“What do you mean?” Jaejoong queried, head cocked thoughtfully as he observed Yunho, patiently awaiting his explanation.

 

“Well I mean he seems cold and distant. You seem kind of cold and distant now too. How do two cold and distant people pursue a friendship together?” Yunho explained.

 

“By not being very close.” Jaejoong explained.

 

He stretched tiredly, noticing how bad he smelt in the process. His gaze drifted downwards, unable to meet Yunho's eyes now that he knew he was not only ugly and plainly dressed, but that he also smelt. “I think I'm going to go have a shower. You probably should too.” he advised, standing.

 

“I think I recall being put on water restrictions.” Yunho teased.

 

Jaejoong scoffed in response, arms crossing as he padded across the hardwood floor, “Please! As if I'd ever let you share my shower.” he exclaimed. The bathroom door clicked shut behind him and the apartment was cast into silence.

 

Yunho suddenly found himself unsure what he should do with himself. He'd enjoyed Jaejoong's company so much that he found himself craving it the moment the other boy left. He'd forgotten how fun; how easy things had been between them. Even now, years later, with so much bad blood between them, they could still manage to talk to one another so easily.

 

Maybe they'd become friends again already and Yunho just hadn't noticed it?