Chapter 27

Putting Us Back Together

Yunho looked so skittish as he emerged from his room. He was dressed so smartly, Jaejoong had to take a long, second look at him, when the other boy stepped into the lounge room. He was giving Jaejoong an awkward smile, as though he were uncomfortable, but the look seemed so foreign to him.

 

No one who was dressed that nicely; whose clothes suited them so perfectly, could ever be uncomfortable in their own skin.

 

But as much as Jaejoong was enjoying the sight of the other man dressed like that, he was also confused. He hadn't mentioned anything lately that would be taking him away, certainly nothing that would require him to dress so well. What was Yunho up to? Where was he going? Did he have a date that evening?

 

The moment he realised Jaejoong was looking at him, his cheeks went a little darker, and he started gnawing on his lower lip. He looked so cute doing it, but the look seemed out of place for Yunho all the same. Acting like this, he could only have been intending on driving Jaejoong crazy. Didn't Yunho realise that Jaejoong already wanted him; he didn't have to go out of his way to try and make Jaejoong attracted to him. That was half of his problem.

 

“Why are you dressed up this evening? What are you doing?” Jaejoong enquired, a playful grin etched upon his lips. Yunho could only manage a weak half smile that promptly dissolved into a grimace. “I am unfortunate enough to have received an invite to dinner at my parents place.” Jaejoong gave his friend a curious stare, as his words sunk in, “Did they want me to come too?”

 

Yunho gave an unintelligible shrug of his shoulders, before explaining, “Yeah, I think they wanted you to come too.” Jaejoong stared at his friend, unable to comprehend what that evasive response really translated to. “So what, am I supposed to go get dressed really quickly, because you never bothered to inform me before this second?”

 

Yunho shook his head, giving his friend an almost shy look as he stated, “No, that's okay. I haven't seen my parents in quite some time. No doubt they're going to have a million reasons I've disappointed them since I last saw them. I'm hoping if I go alone this time, they'll exhaust all their complaints before you have the torture of joining me. Besides, I know you have that maths assignment, and you haven't had much time to work on it this week. I figured, you'd probably appreciate the time to work on it this evening.”

 

Jaejoong smiled at the thoughtful response, sending his friend a sympathetic look. “I don't suppose me saying that it'll go better than you think, would be of any help?” Yunho's form crumpled slightly in his disappointment. “Let me put it this way, I think being tortured and carved up by a depraved ually motivated serial killer, would be more fun than this dinner. And it'd end much more quickly.”

 

Jaejoong rolled his eyes at the comment. “You're really making me look forward to the dinner, I'm going to be forced to join, you know?” Yunho shrugged, the comment off with a smile, “If I lie about it to you now, you'll be the one murdering me next time. I'd prefer it if you didn't, you know since I love you and all.”

 

Jaejoong's heart stopped for a moment after Yunho uttered those words. They were said far too easily for them to have been meant in the way that he wanted them to be said, but knowing there was that amount of affection for him at all, even if it wasn't romantic still made him happy. “I.. I love you too, Yunnie.” he answered, voice a little too breathy for his preference. He'd been hoping to play it cool, so Yunho wouldn't catch on to how much those words had affected him.

 

If Yunho noticed, he didn't show it, giving Jaejoong an approving, but childishly put out look. “Aish, I really wish I didn't have to go. I wish I could stay here with you.” he told the other boy, but he gathered his wallet and house keys all the same.

 

“Don't wait up for me okay?” he murmured, brushing his lips softly over Jaejoong's forehead without really thinking about it, before sending him a wave and a cheery smile as he left.

 

- -

 

Yunho really wished that he could be anywhere other than here right now. He gnawed on his lower lip self consciously as he stared up at his parents home. He was standing out on the street, trying to muster the courage to enter and not just turn around and go home.

 

He was wondering what Jaejoong was thinking about that kiss, about when he'd said that he loved him. His words had been true, even if he hadn't said them the way that he meant them. If he were honest he'd say that he thought he and Jaejoong were soul mates, and that was why he was unable to help doing anything other than falling in love with the short-tempered beauty. As such, he'd much rather be back at his apartment with him, than about to walk into the dragon's den.

 

As much as he disliked his mother, and was distanced from his father, it wasn't them that he most feared encountering. Changmin would be there to rescue him should anything get too heavy, or if Seohyun was lurking about and tried to do anything to him. No it was the thought of running into Mrs Park that truly terrified him.

 

Just looking at her, anyone would think such a comment was insane. Yunho was over a foot taller than the woman, who also sported a tiny build, and what most people referred to as a lovely smile. They knew that she was a mother to a boy, now attending university, though which one was a matter of some debate. They also knew that her husband and her had divorced when he'd started seeing a younger woman. Ever since everyone had thought she'd handled the divorce well, and was throwing all of her energy into raising her son, and getting involved in the community, and with her friends.

 

But they didn't know the side of her that Yunho knew.

 

To him, she was a little terrifying, however he also found her repulsive.

 

She had been friends with his mother for a decade, but for years, whenever Yunho was around, she would be too. He hated it; she unnerved him. He'd had to tolerate it for years now, for his own reasons, but now he had Jaejoong to think about. He had the man he loved sitting in their apartment no doubt waiting up for him despite his request not to, and he didn't want her to mess things up between them, any worse than she already had.

 

It was thanks to her that Yunho would never be able to have Jaejoong as his own. He was still angry about it, but he'd gathered some measure of acceptance about that fact. But if she stole Jaejoong away from him now, he might just go insane.

 

He'd avoided coming home for ages, precisely because he knew she'd be there when he came. He couldn't stand the feeling of her eyes roaming over his body. She'd always manage to corner him somewhere in his home, so they could speak privately.

 

Being alone with her made him repulsed by himself almost as much as he was by her. Looking at her was like having to face up to everything he'd done in his past. A past that he was ashamed of; that sickened him, but one that he was forced to repeat endlessly, everytime they were around one another, everytime she summoned him.

 

He hadn't been completely truthful to Jaejoong earlier. He knew for a fact that his parents would whine about the same reasons he was a disappointment no matter how many times he came to see them beforehand. He knew that coming to dinner alone wouldn't make things any easier on them in that respect. But he had to come alone, so that he could tell Mrs Park to back off. He couldn't have her cornering him somewhere, leaving Jaejoong all alone with the rest of his family. They'd tear him to shreds.

 

With his family, they might even have had him kidnapped or tied him up and locked him in one of the rooms, in order to murder him, while Yunho was indisposed.

 

He wasn't going to risk it.

 

That was why, with a lot of reluctance, Yunho started the short trek from the street to his parents' front door. He'd long since lost his house key, having found the item left a bad taste in his mouth whenever he saw it. Not to mention a dead weight in his stomach. It felt like a shackle around his ankle, reminding him of where he was tied to, and capable of drawing him back; preventing him from progressing with anything he wanted.

 

He'd had to put a stop to that.

 

He'd been going to have to ring the doorbell, but as he approached the door, it flew open, the reserved image of his younger brother flooding his vision. He smiled in relief, petrified that one of the other people residing in this home would be the one to open the door for him. Changmin was the only person here he really wanted to see. He couldn't wait for the day that he would be able to see him all of the time, without needing to come to this house; he'd have his own real family then, especially if he could manage to keep a hold of Jaejoong. That would be the most he could ever ask for in life.

 

“Hey. I was worried I'd actually have to knock on the door. Any one of those devils might have beaten you to it.” Yunho exclaimed with a smile, as he enveloped his brother in a hug. It had only been a few weeks since he'd last seen him, but any distance always felt immeasurable to the two brothers.

 

Changmin shrugged, giving his brother a smirk as responded, “Please. I was keeping an eye out for your arrival. I knew you had to be here, when I saw a weird person standing on the street talking to themselves.”

 

Yunho glared at his brother's comment, but promptly dissolved into a relaxed grin, “I wasn't talking to myself....was I?” He hadn't thought he'd been talking, but then again, he had been out there for a little while; he might have stopped paying attention to what he was doing for a part of it.

 

Changmin gave a cursory glance behind his brother, as Yunho stepped into the entryway of the house. “Where's Jaejoong?” he enquired. Yunho gave his brother a tired sigh, as he answered him, voice hushed “I left him at the apartment. He has some work to do, and I'm not bringing him here, until after I've had words with Mrs Park.”

 

Changmin's gaze sharpened a little, and he grasped his brother's forearm. “I know you have problems with the woman, but why are you trying to keep her away from Jaejoong?”

 

Yunho waved his brother off distractedly, “Not now, Minnie.” he answered him. Changmin gave his brother a concerned look, but lowered his hand, his gaze both penetrating and pleading as he spoke, “You'll tell me when we go out next, yes?”

 

Yunho tried waving his brother off again, but Changmin was insistent. He wouldn't let him go without a promise to tell him everything soon. He supposed there was only so long in his life he'd be able to keep this story to himself. Changmin was bound to demand an explanation from him sooner or later, and he didn't have it in him to keep it to himself. He nodded tiredly, seemingly satisfying his brother.

 

“How is school going? Any news about university next year?” he enquired, anxious to change the topic, in case the two boys were interrupted. The other adults might have been neglecting them, but they would eventually notice that Changmin had disappeared; he was always treated like a child by these people, and he was more or less ignored by the adults for large portions of time. Still, they'd notice if he wasn't around for an extended period of time. Then they would come looking for the two of them. Nothing the two brothers wanted to talk about was any of their business, and they didn't want to be overheard, or their plans might still be ruined.

 

Changmin shook his head, telling his brother he wouldn't talk about it here or now, but a small smile that graced his lips at the same time, told Yunho that nothing bad had happened on that front since they last spoke.

 

Finally a thoroughly less interesting, but much less sensitive topic came to Yunho's mind. He hated how he had to watch what he wanted to say to his brother when they were here. When the two of them lived together they could speak about whatever they wanted. He'd never ban conversation on anything between them. Changmin would be allowed to say whatever words he wanted; to speak as informally as he pleased, about any topic that took his fancy. “So, who is going to be joining us for dinner this evening?”

 

Changmin gave his older brother a slightly condescending nod of his head, telling him that he'd finally hit on an acceptable topic of conversation for the moment. Yunho slapped his brother's shoulder lightly, but laughed all the same. He always found Changmin's arrogant maturity amusing. “Just a small gathering this evening. You, me, mother, father and Mrs Park.”

 

Yunho's brows furrowed at that short list of dinner guests. Whenever they were the only ones there, it was much easier for Mrs Park to corner him. As much as he hated Seohyun, she did a good job of acting as a bit of a buffer for Mrs Park. It never kept her away entirely, but she certainly got up to a lot less whenever the girl was around. He was appalled to find that he was almost disappointed to find that the girl wouldn't be joining them.

 

“No Seohyun?” he enquired, with the faintest traces of a pout in his tone. Changmin's lips twitched at the comment. “Keep that up and mother will forget all about this 'I'm gay!' comment. And no, apparently she had a prior engagement....the moment she found out Jaejoong might be here. Apparently their encounter earlier in the week, has left her feeling a little...uncomfortable.”

 

Yunho's eyebrows drew together in confusion at his brother's words. “Seohyun and Jaejoong? Where? When? What are you talking about?” he demanded. Changmin's lips twitched again. “I would have thought Jaejoong would have told you. Well, long story short, she confronted him at university a few days ago, and he promptly tore her a new one for it. I'll give you a better story from what I've heard later. But I can assure you mother is going to be going on about it a bit, neither of them can believe it happened!”

 

Yunho commented with a surprised shake of his head, “I'm not sure I believe it.” but Changmin didn't miss the way his lips quivered in a proud smile, directed at his absent boyfriend.

 

“Still no Mr Park I see... Are we ever going to meet that son of hers?” he enquired disinterestedly, just trying to make polite dinner conversation. It not being able to gossip with his brother to his heart's content. But then again, that's why Changmin was moving in with him, and why they met up secretly. Because they hated having to talk about inane drivel, rather than really speaking with one another about matters of actual interest and substance.

 

Changmin gave an unknowing shrug of his shoulders, while he crossed his arms. “Apparently, he's very busy with university, and he lives in the city so he can't make it down here in time for dinner.” he told his brother. Yunho snorted at the comment, “Funny, I'm expected to.”

 

“Don't be like that. You'd only have to do this once, if you'd brought Jaejoong with you. I think you really wanted to come here for dinner multiple times.” Changmin told his brother, with absolutely no sympathy.

 

Yunho would have tried sticking his tongue out at his younger brother, but the adults seemed to find them right at that moment preventing him from doing so. The two boys had drifted into the front sitting room, while they had been speaking, but the adults had moved into the room, seemingly in search of the younger brother that had mysteriously vanished 'just a moment ago'.

 

All eyes quickly noted the presence of the two boys, and avidly looked about for a third body, they were expecting to find. Not finding it, he didn't fail to notice the way their faces seemed relieved at Jaejoong's absence.

 

It annoyed Yunho to think that he'd pleased them all by not bringing Jaejoong with him. If he'd been able to, he would have insisted that Jaejoong join him this evening. Now he wished more so than ever, that he hadn't had issues with Mrs Park, just so he could annoy them that little bit more.

 

“Yunho” his mother trilled, glance cold as her gaze raked over her oldest son. To the three adults, his brother Changmin had ceased to exist, there was only him, and he was more than likely in trouble for some reason or another now. His body tipped forward into a low bow, of it's own making, seemingly still inherently aware of the importance placed on strict formality in the household despite his long absence.

 

“Mother. Father. Mrs Park.” he acknowledged them one by one, twisting his body slightly to the left and right for the other two. They didn't much care, about the order he bowed to them, choosing to interpret the bow they felt was owed to them, given their respective ages.

 

Still his mother sighed, as though he'd managed to disappoint her just by being there. “You never come home, what an unfilial son I have. None of us have seen you in years!” she exclaimed, annoyed. He bent his head low, in the apology he knew she was demanding, but which she would never accept. It was much easier just to complain about him.

 

“Let's eat.” his father told them gruffly, as he made his way into the dining room. Their mother looked as though she wanted to argue with him, but seemed to reconsider as she realised she could go off at him anywhere in the house she liked. Mrs Park had kept her features schooled into a look of polite discomfort at the tension in the room, but the way her eyes flickered when their gazes clashed, sent a shiver up his spine.

 

Yunho sighed, willing his legs to move, as Changmin gave his brother a sympathetic one armed hug, once the adults had turned their backs to the two of them. He knew this meal was going to be unpleasant.