Chapter 34

Putting Us Back Together

The next day, Jaejoong awoke, feeling bright and refreshed. His bed was across from Yunho's, the younger boy having made sure to stipulate that they wanted two single beds when they'd made the booking.

 

As much as he would have abhorred Yunho's assumptions about Jaejoong's morals had he tried to pull the whole 'there's only one room in the place and it has a double bed' routine, he still felt a little cheated. He supposed that was unfair, since he couldn't expect to have it both ways, but the attempt would have at least given him cause to believe Yunho was interested.

 

But that was another delusion all it's own.

 

His gaze fell on Yunho's bed, full of delight at getting to see Yunho when he was like this. His hair looked awful, his breath probably smelt terrible, he'd made a mess of his bed, and he had managed to strike a really awkward looking pose while he slept. He never got to see Yunho like this, because they slept in separate beds. He would have shared a room with the other boy happily, these days, but there was no need, so he wasn't certain he could make a comment like that, and not be regarded weirdly.

 

But then again, he'd mean it weirdly if he said it, wouldn't he?

 

Wanting to share a room, if not a bed with the man he secretly loved who was also his dear friend who he knew wasn't interested, should qualify as weird.

 

The idle thought that usually a phone call or something would disturb a scene like this flitted through his mind. He tried to wave it off, but it was only then that he realised, he hadn't heard his phone make any noises recently. Hadn't everyone said they'd text him, with their demands to know where Yunho had taken him hostage?

 

Frowning, he grabbed his bag, rifling through it until his fingers nudged the cool, hard case of his phone. Grinning in triumph, he pulled the item out of his bag. Apparently it'd been switched off. He vaguely recalled that air planes said to turn your mobile off before the flight, but he couldn't recall having done so. That meant it had either died because of low battery, or else Yunho had turned it off for him.

 

The phone lit up, under his knowing touch, and he knew it had to have been the latter.

 

It only took a moment, before it started going wild, as one message after another quickly came in. He fumbled slightly, rushing to switch it to silent so that the noise wouldn't disturb the other boy. He left his phone for another minute, until it finally stopped it's bizarre little dance.

 

He did indeed have a message from everyone.

 

One by one he sent them a short message of apology, telling them where they had ended up. He knew they'd all be dying of jealousy, that he got to visit the place when they didn't but other than that, the place didn't ring any bells for him.

 

At least until he got an excited reply from Junsu.

 

He hadn't expected a reply at this time of day anyway, and the fact that it came in so quickly shocked him. Today was Friday, so the other boy should be in school right now, shouldn't he? But then why was he asking when he wanted to hang out? Wait a minute....

 

Yunho took him to Junsu's current hometown?

 

A broad grin overtook his features at the thought of seeing his cousin again, earlier than expected, but it dulled slightly. He'd been looking forward to spending 4 blissfully uninterrupted days with Yunho. With just the two of them. As much as he loved his cousin, and loved spending time with him and everything, it would be kind of rude to ignore Yunho so they could catch up. He considered the idea that maybe they wouldn't need to ignore Yunho, and that all three of them could hang out together, but it still didn't feel right.

 

He texted back his apologies, explaining that he'd like to spend some time just hanging out with Yunho. He did include a promise to hang out in a day or two, if they ran into each other or something. He was a little worried that Junsu might take it the wrong way, but all he got back was a reminder to use protection, and a sarcastic comment about the horrors of male pregnancy.

 

If he didn't laugh, he'd have to throttle something in his embarrassment. Where did that little kid get this sort of stuff from?

 

- -

 

True to his word, Jaejoong didn't see Junsu that day, and like the well behaved cousin that he was Junsu made no attempts to seek the couple out. So Jaejoong and Yunho were able to act like a real couple of tourists. They drove around the city, scoping the place out. They explored all of the shopping centres they found on their trip around town. They even decided to be a little adventurous and drive out of town, to check out everything else they could find.

 

That evening they stopped at the Sizzler on the outskirts of the town, gorging themselves on the buffet area. They ate until they couldn't fit another bite into their mouths without throwing up. While they were in there it started to rain, so that when they left they had to huddle under Jaejoong's umbrella and run to the car, laughing all the while.

 

The only thing that could have happened to improve their day would've been if Yunho had clasped Jaejoong firmly, confessed his undying love for him, and proceeded to kiss him until he passed out. But then again, what were the chances of that happening?

 

In terms of what Jaejoong could ever have hoped to have expected, the day had been perfect.

 

- -

 

Their second day was spent with them acting like the archetypal tourist for a change. Instead of driving around, doing whatever took their fancy, they decided to take in the town's main attractions. They hopped on a bus to get to the station promptly for their 9am train. The station was small and relatively uninteresting, crowded full of families with little children, and old people milling about. Occasionally they'd see parents dragging along a disinterested teenager, or a couple of newly-weds, but only rarely.

 

The train couldn't come quickly enough, the temperature already approaching an uncomfortable level, despite the early hour.

 

They hopped on an old fashioned carriage, seating themselves quickly on overly padded seats. There were small slit windows beside them, letting in a cool breeze, whenever one came, but for the most part doing little to relieve the stuffiness of their compartment.

 

They sat their baking for the next hour, listening attentively to the voice of their narrator, until the train finally pulled in to the station. The sights had been beautiful, and Jaejoong had been sure to get lots of photos to show to everyone back home. Now they were at the small town, at the peak of the mountain, meandering around to look in the small boutiques and snacking on some scones from one of the small cafes about the place.

 

It was in one of those small boutiques that he ran into Junsu.

 

The other boy's grin told him that he'd come here today, precisely because they had been going to come here. That suspicion was only compounded by the fact that Junsu told him the locals never came to places like this; that they were there purely to attract tourists like himself and Yunho. Junsu confessed that he had indeed come just to be able to meet up with Jaejoong, his favourite cousin of all time, and to meet the infamous Yunho, but of course, Yunho had to be several rows away at that time.

 

He looked so suspicious when he saw Jaejoong speaking with this strange other man, he'd never seen before. His eyes only crinkled further when he saw the way Junsu would grasp Jaejoong, or hug him, out of nowhere.

 

When he came up, Jaejoong turned slightly guilty eyes on Yunho, explaining shyly, “Hey Yunho, this is Junsu.” Junsu grinned at the older man, circling him, giving him a once over before finally giving an approving nod, and putting his hand out for Yunho to shake. Yunho still wasn't convinced about the other guy, but Jaejoong seemed to be handling his presence alright, so although it annoyed him, he pushed his annoyance aside, shaking his hand in return and giving a polite smile.