Chapter 51

Putting Us Back Together

A:N/ Here it is, the very last chapter. I hope you all enjoy it. Thanks for all the love you've shown my story, all the comments you've left and all the people who have subscribed. Enjoy the final chapter, alright?

- -

“Well what happened?” Changmin asked politely, observing Jaejoong across the kitchen table with a curious look. Jaejoong gave the other boy a look that just screamed that he didn't think he needed to explain any further. “What do you think happened? We kissed and made up and then had wild, on your new bed.” Jaejoong stated, snidely, poking his tongue out at the younger boy when he sent him an almost exasperated glance.

 

“Come on, you can't just leave the story there. I want to know why you thought Yunho left you.” Changmin prodded.

 

Jaejoong looked as though he were prepared to try fighting with him over whether or not he should have to tell him, but he shrugged, arms crossing defensively across his stomach, only just being able to be seen above the table. “Why? It doesn't matter, I was a stupid teenager, I know better now.” One look from Changmin told him that no amount of excuses would let him get off the hook. “Fine, I thought he thought I was too annoying because I was so clingy and effeminate and spent years trying to make myself into more of a man in the hopes that he might reconsider, and want me back. Happy?” he demanded.

 

Changmin chuckled lightly at the comment, barely managing to suppress them when he noticed the deathly glare Jaejoong was sending him. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to annoy the man that would be cooking his food from now on. “Sorry. It's just a funny thought. I was the one that got to hear Yunho about how much he loved you after that. You know he was worried that you changing so much was because you'd fallen in love with someone else? All he did was mope and go gaga whenever he thought about you.”

 

Jaejoong laughed at the thought of Yunho doing either of those things because of him. He wished Changmin had taken photos; he felt like he was being lied to, because it just seemed so out of character. But Changmin didn't seem the sort to lie to him for a joke.

 

“Still, the way you guys were acting after you exchanged confessions, didn't sound very happy.... are you sure that you're, you know together?” Junsu pondered as he walked in carrying another box. He'd been discreetly listening in on their conversation while he was deciding where to put down his cardboard box.

 

The two boys had brought a lot of stuff with them. They'd been planning on moving permanently into their new residence, and so they had brought everything they owned with them. Unfortunately that took up a lot of space, especially in such a cramped apartment. It would have been bad enough, but the extra bed that Yunho had ordered for Junsu had only been delivered the other day, and so there was still some mess that the recent delivery had caused, crowding the space even more.

 

When the two other boys looked at him curiously, Junsu realised that he'd spoken aloud and had been heard by the two of them. “.” he grumbled, giving them an awkward grin as he made his way over to the table to join the conversation properly now that he'd been found out. “Well?”

 

“Of course I'm sure that we're going out. He asked me out after we stopped fighting. And I said yes.” he enunciated deliberately, so that both boys could have no doubts that they were really going out. Junsu rolled his eyes, sending his cousin a cheeky grin before pushing further, “Please, being asked out is meaningless. Even marriages can get annulled. It's only official if you're acting like a couple.”

 

Jaejoong scoffed lightly at the comment, despite how uncomfortable he suddenly felt. He just knew his cousin was going to start making remarks now, and he was afraid that he'd give himself away. “Of course we act like a couple.” he mumbled, but the words sounded flat, thanks to the fear he felt welling up in response to his cousin's probing gaze.

 

“Prove it.” he demanded, chin held high. No matter what answer Jaejoong gave him, the other boy was guaranteed to get some sort of enjoyment out of it. Changmin watched the teasing with intrigue. He knew who Junsu was, thanks to his brother's call several weeks ago. That's how he also knew that he was moving in here as well. But this was still within his first 24 hours of having met the other guy.

 

Junsu for his part had been in jovial enough spirits about the move to agree to accompany Jaejoong and Yunho to collect Changmin. They'd insisted that they wanted to see the look on their faces when Changmin told them he was leaving. Apparently the two brothers had been looking forward to this day for quite some time, and they'd been full of cheer as they returned to the apartment to start their unpacking. It hadn't taken long though before Jaejoong and Changmin had sat down and started gossiping about the progress in his and Yunho's relationship.

 

“We share an apartment.” he gestured around him with an easy flick of his wrist. Junsu's nose wrinkled as he shook his head decisively. “So what? Changmin and I share it with you, does that mean we're going to have foursomes, when the sun goes down?”

 

“Come on, Jae, you can tell me, I'm a big boy... are the two of you sleeping together yet?” Jaejoong's eyes shifted off to the side, a carefully blank look crossing his features, as though Junsu's question wasn't personal or embarrassing to him. He shuffled in his seat uncomfortably, “Maybe...” before he got up, moving back into the kitchen to keep a close eye on the meal he'd been preparing for them to eat.

 

Everyone was looking forward to having their first home-cooked meal prepared by Jaejoong.

 

Everything was coming along nicely, it'd be ready to plate up in a few minutes. Jaejoong wiped his forehead, relieved for the momentary escape from the other two boys, whose gazes were a little too sharp when they looked at him for him to be able to feel comfortable.

 

He was never preparing a surprise party for the two of them.

 

“Ah, Yunho's going to be so happy having you around Changmin. He has spent the past few weeks fretting. He was convinced that Mrs Park was going to get you right before you could leave your parent's place.” Jaejoong confided in a hush, hoping that Yunho wouldn't realise that he'd told Changmin about his secret fear. Junsu nodded sagely, cheekily adding “Yeah he thought the two of you were having wild, crazy animalistic all over the place.” making both of the other boys shudder slightly as the words conjured up images both of them would have been happier without.

 

“Wait, Mrs Park?” he questioned, feeling out of the loop. “Yeah, that's the woman that was blackmailing Yunho for the last few years. Remember that woman we spoke to at the club when the two of us came down on holidays? That was her.” Jaejoong explained, easily. “You met her?” Changmin enquired astonished. Yunho had told him that she'd been there, sure but he'd neglected the part where the three of them were left to speak to one another alone.

 

“Yeah. When we went away, the three of us; Junsu, Yunho and I went to a club. While Yunho was over at the bar this older woman came over and started talking to us. Thankfully Yunho came over and rescued us, but then he ditched us to run off with her.” Jaejoong informed the younger boy quickly. “Oh so that's when you decided to keep the fact that Junsu was your cousin a secret. To get a little revenge?” Changmin queried with a laugh.

 

Jaejoong looked a little guilty at the reminder of what he'd done that had caused his boyfriend such worry earlier on, but he his chin up proudly, “He had it coming. He kept way more stuff secret from me for years! He deserved to sweat a little!” he stated, with no remorse, despite the slight grin that slipped onto his features.

 

“Ah that's right, this time around I'm going to be able to make friends with Yunho, now that he doesn't think I want in your pants!” Junsu cheered excitedly. He'd always liked the sound of Yunho, whenever Jaejoong had described him. But thanks to Jaejoong's childish attempts at getting vengeance on the older boy, Junsu's conversations with him had been a little...strained. This time around Yunho seemed much more friendly; he'd even apologised for the way he acted when they last saw one another, surprising Junsu. From his perspective, Yunho had treated him really well, given the circumstances. All the same, he liked the thought of a fresh start between them.

 

“Wouldn't matter if you did. With your thighs, you'd never fit in them.” Jaejoong snickered, earning a slap from his cousin and a soft chuckle from Changmin. They'd only been together for a few hours, but they could already feel the good atmosphere surrounding them. They could just tell they were going to be happy living together.

 

“Were you able to find out whether or not Seohyun really did have a new boyfriend?” Jaejoong asked, conspiratorially. “Seohyun?” Junsu piped up, hearing another name he was unfamiliar with. “Yunho's old stalker.” Jaejoong answered back making Junsu nod his head sagely. Changmin had to wonder just what he'd told the other boy for him to readily recognise someone based off a description like that.

 

“Yes she was. Apparently she's been seeing Mrs Park's son, and that's how she knew about the new couple.” Changmin informed the other easily, the older boy moving back into the kitchen in order to fix their lunch.

 

“Poor bastard. Hope I never meet him.” Junsu commented lightly, chin now resting in his palm. His stomach was rumbling, and no matter how quickly Jaejoong returned with food in hand, it would take too long to appease his empty gut. “I wouldn't hope too strongly. He goes to our university, you know. He's the same age as those two” he gestured to the kitchen and the door to the apartment with one sweeping movement, “His name is Yoochun.”

 

At that comment they heard a clamour from the kitchen. Jaejoong had been listening to them, but the news had caught him so off guard that he'd fumbled the plates he'd been in the process of getting out and they hit the ground hard. Surprisingly enough, none of them broke, for which he was relieved, but he still felt a little rattled by the news. “Is he really?” he questioned lightly, focusing on the task at hand so that he wouldn't spill their meal.

 

“Yeah. Yunho said that apparently she got Yoochun to kick you out in the hopes that you'd come here and send Seohyun packing.” Changmin informed the other two boys easily. The way he rolled his eyes at Junsu after he made the comment made the older boy giggle slightly. Genius that he was, Changmin clearly saw so many things wrong with that plan that even informing others about it, he was unable to contain his disbelief that it had actually been successful.

 

“You know I'm fairly certain I had three boys helping me earlier, why am I the only one carting boxes?” Yunho questioned airily from the doorway, sending both boys seated at the table a slight glare, despite the playful smile that had made it's way onto his lips. They both sent him sheepish smiles, realising that they'd been caught slacking off.

 

“We couldn't help it.... Jae's cooking lunch and it's almost ready.” Junsu informed the older man cutely titling his head and blinking his eyes to try and escape any penalties for his laziness. Yunho's displeasure immediately evaporated, his form perking up immensely, “Food? Alright!” he exclaimed, bounding over to go join the other two boys at the table.

 

On his way over, Jaejoong came out of the kitchen, bringing a few plates with him. He'd still left plenty behind; it'd take him several trips to bring out their entire meal and the plates and cutlery to go with it. Yunho's hands slid around Jaejoong's waist as he leant forward trying to inhale the delicious aroma emanating from the plate.

 

“What makes you think you're getting any?” Jaejoong questioned lightly, placing the food on the table and batting his hands away so that he could make his second trip into the kitchen. Yunho followed after him, pout quickly forming as he trailed behind him, picking up whatever he could find to try and help Jaejoong while they bantered.

 

“You haven't finished bringing the boxes in.” Jaejoong commented lightly, “I wouldn't want someone to steal either of the boys' possessions all because you're a glutton.” he finished, sending the two boys a wink over his shoulder, as they tried to smother their laughter. “You don't go off at them for not working.” he sputtered, looking at the food still on the table, so forlornly, even as he jogged out of the room.

 

The boys left in the room stopped smothering their laughter, allowing it to echo throughout the apartment, no doubt drifting out into the hallway. They might've felt a little bad for Yunho, given just how delicious Jaejoong's cooking was, if they weren't jealous that he'd been eating this well for months already. That and because they knew, thanks to the work they had done, he only had to bring two more boxes up. And that he'd left them on the last staircase. It would take him 5 minutes, at the most to finish up and come back.

 

He slammed the door behind him, kicking it shut as he dumped the boxes on the lounge, as he raced back into the room. He glared at every one of them for having started eating without him, that glare lingering on Jaejoong longer than anyone else. But Jaejoong just sent him an apologetic little smile, and Yunho relented.

 

But he piled as much food onto his plate as he could to make up for it. When Changmin and Junsu tried to protest that he was taking too much, he stuck his tongue out at them. “What can I say, I'm starving. Hard work will do that to you.” he stated pointedly, before tauntingly putting a large mouthful of food into his mouth.

 

As they were eating they drifted into silence for all of about 5 minutes, before Junsu was giving Changmin a sly look. “So, Minnie... Since we're newbies to university this year, are you going to look after me?” he enquired, teasingly.

 

“No.” Changmin replied shortly, always having been a bit of a connoisseur of food. As Yunho had pointed out, Changmin loved his food. He also had a particular appreciation for Jaejoong's food. Something he had been unable to indulge in for years now. He was not going to allow himself to be distracted by conversation.

 

Junsu pouted slightly, “How can you say that, Minnie? I'm new to the country.” he protested. “You're a native, it won't take long for you to adjust.” Changmin bit back, simply.

 

“But I need you to take care of me!” Junsu whined, rocking to the side so that he could hit the younger boy's shoulder. “You're the older one of the two of us.” Changmin retorted, shrugging lightly to prevent Junsu from lying on his shoulder permanently.

 

“That doesn't matter. Just look at those two.” he stated, gesturing across the table at Yunho and Jaejoong. “It's practically a genetic certainty that you're supposed to look after me. Just like your brother takes care of my cousin.” he stated, matter-of-factly.

 

“Please tell me you aren't enrolled in a Science degree.” Changmin said, just shaking his head at the things Junsu claimed were genetically determined. “Yah! I'm not stupid enough to write something like that in an exam, you idiot! But, no, I'm not.” Junsu begrudgingly confessed.

 

Changmin sighed, knowing that Junsu would probably end up being the only friend he had at university and so he shouldn't be too mean to him. Besides, he kind of respected how confident Junsu was to be able to say and do stuff like that all of the time. Almost reluctantly, he asked the older boy who had now taken to poking at his plate despondently, “Alright, will you show me your schedule?”

 

Junsu cried out joyously, pulling Changmin in to hug him, unable to see Changmin's cheeks turn red, because he buried his face into his arm. “You're an adult now, you should be ashamed of yourself, acting like that.” Changmin chided, but his lips quirked up into a smile all the same, so Junsu ignored his words.

 

Jaejoong observed the two of them thoughtfully, too busy revelling in the warmth of their cosy meal to actually eat that much. He could get used to this so easily. He was convinced if just one of them went out this evening, he'd already miss the feeling; he wouldn't feel like they were a complete family anymore.

 

“University will be starting soon won't it?” Yunho queried, distractedly, finally looking up from his plate for the first time since he sat down. Clearly he'd eaten enough to be able to take the edge off of his hunger. Now he could join in on conversation as well as eating.

 

“3 days from now. Don't pretend you didn't know.” Changmin responded lightly, chuckling slightly when he observed his older brother sheepishly scratching his head. Trust him to forget when they went back to university. It would be his first day as well, certainly that should have made it easier to recall.

 

“So I couldn't help but notice Junsu's bed has no mattress yet. Where's he going to be sleeping?” Changmin questioned the table as a whole, wondering if anyone had noticed this small fact and made alternative arrangements for the older boy.

 

“With you.” Junsu stated seriously, sending a jolt of panic into Changmin's eyes as he looked at the older boys helplessly. The way Junsu looked at him, and his tone when he said that; he sounded so creepy. He prayed he wasn't being serious.

 

Jaejoong narrowed his eyes at his cousin, for making Changmin uncomfortable. “He's sleeping on the lounge until they deliver the mattress. It should be within the next few days.” he reassured, making Changmin take a relieved, albeit slightly ragged breath.

 

Junsu sent his cousin a pout, for ruining his fun. He'd been having so much fun messing with Changmin, and Jaejoong had to go and spoil it for him. He shook his hair arrogantly, flicking his head to the side, away from the rest of them, eyes closing with his false disdain. “Please. Your lounge costs way more than my bed will. I'm sure I'll find it much more comfortable than my bed will be. I might even become so attached to it that I take to sleeping there permanently.”

 

But after their round of laughter died down, he rounded on Changmin once more, fluttering wide eyes at him, as he attempted to be cute, “But if I ever felt cold or uncomfortable or scared or anything, you'd let me come sleep with you, right Minnie?” “No way in hell.” Changmin replied, shaking his head sharply, trying to ignore the way his face was heating up, in response to Junsu's teasing again.

 

Jaejoong ignored their squabbling, distracted thoughts, pondering whether or not the two of them might end up together being pushed aside as his gaze fell on his boyfriend. He gave him a small smile. “How does it feel to have Changmin back?” he questioned, knowing the younger man had his attention squarely focused on him, the moment he turned to look at him.

 

“I'm not sure. I would think that getting Changmin back would feel brilliant on its own. But see, in my mind, it's all tied up with getting you and Junsu too. It feels more like I got a whole family, and I've got to say that more than anything else, that feels perfect.” Yunho answered. Jaejoong smiled, his hand drifting down to clasp Yunho's own lightly.

 

“I guess good boys do get happily ever afters after all.” he commented thoughtfully, observing their connected hands. “Why, do you feel like you got a happily ever after?” Yunho pressed, blinding smile directed towards his love.

 

“Yes I do, as a matter of fact. But I was referring to the fact that you've always been the good boy. And don't give me that look, I know you know that too!” Jaejoong answered, snapping lightly when Yunho rolled his eyes at him, for his word choice.

 

“I hate to break it to you but I can think of 6 times just off the top of my head when I've behaved like anything but a good boy. Care to hazard a guess as to why they all involve you?” he teased, making Jaejoong blush. He could guess what Yunho was referring to, and so he slapped his thigh lightly, retracting his hand.

 

He couldn't suppress the grin that broke out across his features as he looked around the room. As he took in the happy faces of the love of his life. The face of his long-absent cousin. The face of his brother-in-law. As he took in their empty plates. Their bright eyes, their grins and their laughter. In this one moment he felt happier than he could recall feeling in years; if he ever felt happier at all. He had everything he could ever want at this one moment in time.

 

And to think he got it all because of Mrs Park!