Chapter 5

Putting Us Back Together

A/N Sorry this chapter's a little bit short, I was having a little trouble deciding how long the chapter should be.

- -

The rest of the week had passed in relatively uneasy silence. Neither boy had really seen much of one another, though Jaejoong continued to cook dinner each evening. They wouldn't talk over dinner, and each boy found he had his own matters to attend to in the evening, so they didn't really encounter one another at all.

 

But bright and early Saturday morning, Jaejoong was up, getting ready to leave. He'd been so nervous about the day that he hadn't been able to sleep well the night before. He probably had dark circles under his eyes, but what did that matter? He was only going to be with Yunho, wasn't he?

 

Surprisingly enough, Yunho too was up fairly early, bumping into Jaejoong on his way to the bathroom for a shower. “I wasn't expecting to see you up so early.” Jaejoong stated.

 

“I wasn't sure what time you wanted to go.” he confessed, smiling brightly at Jaejoong, despite the early hour, and his usual preference for sleeping in as late as he could. Jaejoong noted offhandedly that Yunho and Yoochun had that in common.

 

Yunho quickly side-stepped the older man, locking himself into the bathroom, so he could get ready. Jaejoong shook his head slightly, going back to the lounge room, with the book he'd been smart enough to have kept in his bag, so that he could read it while he waited.

 

In the end the boys didn't make it around to Yoochun's apartment until about 10:30am but neither boy seemed to mind it much. Surely it wouldn't take that long to clear out. The apartment was silent when they entered, and Yunho couldn't resist the urge to have a look about as he waited for Jaejoong to lead him to his old room.

 

In many ways the place reminded Yunho of the room Jaejoong currently had at his own apartment. It wasn't particularly bright or colourful, except for the bookshelf in the corner of the room. It really didn't seem much like the Jaejoong he knew at all. It was quite bare. The bed (which Jaejoong informed him came with the apartment), bookshelf and desk had made up the entire contents of the small room.

 

There was a pile of cardboard boxes waiting for them beside the door, which they collected. Jaejoong grabbed one of them, informing Yunho he was going to grab all of his movies from the lounge room. Apparently all of the furniture came with the apartment, so it would only be those things on them that they would be taking home with them.

 

Yunho started packing the books on the overflowing bookshelf away. He couldn't be sure how long he spent in there, pursuing his monotonous task with his full concentration. But shortly thereafter, Jaejoong returned to the bedroom, moving over towards the wardrobe. He hadn't been able to grab all of his clothing when he left, so there was still quite a bit of stuff to be found in there.

 

The two of them worked in silence for a little while. Which, while it annoyed Yunho, he could only conclude was doing their relationship good. Working together; being together like this was what they needed after so much time spent apart.

 

But his curiosity ate away at him, and he couldn't restrain himself from asking “Why did you need me exactly? I mean this all seems like work you could have done on your own?”

 

“Muscle. There's no way I could carry all this stuff back to the apartment with me. I would've needed to take a million trips back and forth. Besides, I'd rather not be here any longer than I have to; with you here we can be finished much faster, and then we can leave.” Jaejoong answered.

 

He was right.

 

Shortly thereafter they were nearly done. The room had been gutted of anything resembling a current resident. All of Jaejoong's worldly possessions were now either boxed or binned. They were just moving around the open living spaces looking for odd items that Jaejoong might have missed.

 

That was what they were doing when the door opened.

 

In walked Yoochun as cool as ever, observing the two intruders with only slight interest. He of course knew that they were supposed to be coming today, and had actually wanted to see who Jaejoong would bring with him to help him clear the place out. He knew Jaejoong didn't really know many people, so his chances were good that he would bring Yunho. The infamous Yunho, that he guessed was the man beside his ex-friend.

 

Jaejoong froze, every cell in his body tensing at the boy's arrival. He should have known that they would run into Yoochun at some point. It just wasn't possible for Jaejoong to be so fortunate, as to get away unseen. He suddenly felt very aware of his probably messy hair and very dark circles. Now he wished he'd bothered to pretty himself up as he usually did.

 

It just didn't seem right for Yoochun to get to see him in such an unguarded state after what he'd done. Why did he have to feel so comfortable with Yunho that he thought he could get away with looking so trashy?

 

Yunho perked with interest at the appearance of the other man, intently taking in every detail he could about the other man. He wanted to make sure he would always be able to recognise the man who had been Jaejoong's room mate before callously tossing him out onto the street for some unexplained but probably inept reason.

 

They were both tall he noted, and both had a lean physique. It would be redundant to mention their dark hair and eyes, these being so common a feature in Korea that they only warranted discussion when they were absent.

 

Yoochun dressed relatively fashionably, but nowhere near as much as Jaejoong did. His eyes were deep, more than likely taking in far more than they would ever express. He came across as one of those moody, loner arty kids. His hair was wild at the moment, and though there was a vague niggling feeling he recognised his strong features from somewhere, he couldn't place it.

 

He certainly looked like the sort of person the new Jaejoong would hang out with. Yunho couldn't help but wonder how much of this new personality stemmed from the character before him.

 

“Yoochun. This is Yunho. We were just leaving.” Jaejoong stated, keeping his nerves out of his voice; his tone cold as ever. To speak with any sort of emotion to Yoochun would only make him look weak.

 

Yoochun said nothing at first, eyes flicking from Jaejoong to Yunho. “Well, well, so this is the infamous Yunho? It's a pleasure to finally meet you. Jaejoong's told me a bit about you.” he greeted tone somewhere between being polite and being sarcastic.

 

“Can't say as I've had the same pleasure.” Yunho replied, keeping his tone as civil as possible, despite the frosty words.

 

Everyone hesitated for a moment, not really sure what to do in the situation, before Jaejoong sprang to life once more. “Well, we better get going. Goodbye Yoochun.” Jaejoong instructed, his hand loosely grasping Yunho's hand within his own as he gestured over to the boxes by the TV. Jaejoong in turn picked up another box by the table.

 

Yoochun regarded the two of them quizzically, an eyebrow raised in faint amusement at Jaejoong's hasty retreat, even if his movements never faltered. “Goodbye Jaejoong. Nice meeting you Yunho.” he uttered as they passed him, the door slamming behind them, as it had every other time Jaejoong had left in the last few days.

 

“So that was Yunho hmm, interesting.” he muttered to himself as he made his way to his room.