Chapter 23

Putting Us Back Together

A:N/ Aigoo you guys are so sweet! Wishing you guys good luck (and lots of fanfiction updates) during your finals! Enjoy the update, and thanks for sending me such long comments all the time, makes me so happy to see your thoughts about what's happening in the story, and so I know when to wish people luck for their exams!

- -

All in all the luncheon went better than either of the boys could have expected. They got tonnes of suggestions from Jaejoong's family, and it was clear that the past wrongs between Yunho and Jaejoong, were water under the bridge as far as the older man's family were concerned. Yunho was relieved to hear that, he didn't know what he would do if they had disapproved of him, and not let them see each other anymore.

 

Unfortunately, as they ended up spending several hours there, the weather had changed. It had been warm and sunny when they arrived, but the sky had gradually been covered in thick white clouds. Just as they gathered at the door, to say their goodbyes and leave, it started sprinkling.

 

Jaejoong eyed the sky in distaste, while Yunho got an umbrella off of the youngest sibling. She'd handed him the first one she could find, lying around, which so happened to be purple, with massive white polka dots all over the material.

 

Out on the garden path, Jaejoong burst out laughing as he spied Yunho's new accessory, which looked far too girly to be held by the likes of him, particularly when Jaejoong knew it belonged to his sister.

 

Yunho ignored him momentarily, waving goodbye to Jaejoong's family, even as the drops of rain began to fall, coating his skin in cold flecks, a bit at a time. His sisters were gesturing wildly in Jaejoong's direction, and Yunho realised what they were telling him to do.

 

Yunho figured, that they might as well start using some of the advice they were given. Making sure Jaejoong still hadn't recognised their wild movements, he snuck closer to the oblivious older man. Yunho slipped his arms around Jaejoong's waist, turning him in his grasp, hurriedly. The quick movement sent a strangled gasp from between Jaejoong's lips, as his arms were pinned to Yunho's chest, and his hands aimlessly brushed against the younger man's neck, hair, ears, he wasn't sure.

 

The two of them were so close, pressed against one another, and Yunho had a pleased little grin on his features. He could hear the hollering and hooting of his sisters, and he wondered for a moment if they could really call themselves normal, given their cheers at the guy on guy action taking place in their front yard. Did they realise that they had neighbours?

 

Noting Jaejoong's sisters' reactions, Yunho couldn't help, tipping his own head downwards, softly brushing his lips against Jaejoong's cheek, while carefully tipping the umbrella to make sure the two of them were unseen by Jaejoong's sisters. He was certain it must've looked as though he kissed Jaejoong, smack on the mouth, and he knew Jaejoong thought the same thing, when he caught a glimpse of a mischievous grin mirroring his own, before he raised the umbrella once more.

 

Jaejoong's sisters went mental at the action, particularly when they could see how flushed Jaejoong's cheeks appeared from that distance. How did he end up with sisters who were so overwhelmingly in love with the idea of their gay brother's relationship with another man; particularly when they knew it wasn't real?

 

The two boys waved again, a quick glance at the sky telling them, the rain probably wasn't going away any time soon. It would do them no good to stand around endlessly waiting for it to disappear before they started their trek home. They needed to get back to the apartment, before dark. There was supposed to be a thunderstorm that evening, according to the news, or so his mother had informed him as she ushered the two of them out the door.

 

The rain only started coming down heavier as they left Jaejoong's house behind, walking and walking, to be able to get back to the train station. Why did his parents have to live 20 minutes walk from the station?

 

The increasing downpour, pushed the two boys closer and closer together, as they attempted to avoid the rain dropping down from the sides of the umbrella. The wind didn't help, adjusting the fall of the rain, so that it managed to pound at them from one direction for a few moments, before swiftly changing sides.

 

Most of the boys' bodies were still getting wet, no matter what they did, so to try and fight the colder air they huddled closer. The only other sounds were the cars passing by, all the time, and with their faces so close together, it seemed a waste to spend the whole walk in silence.

 

“You didn't tell me about a time limit, or Changmin, or any of that stuff.” Jaejoong began, voice slightly hushed, in his misery. He really did hate it when Yunho left him out of things like that. He was involved in this whole charade. He had to stop any potential love life he might have had or wanted to be able to have to help Yunho and the younger man couldn't even be bothered to give him all of the details!

 

“I'm sorry. I didn't really think about it, until your sister started pushing for a time limit. I'll explain all my thoughts about it to you when we get home, I promise. Just please, not now.” Yunho answered Jaejoong in a hush, giving the people around them a suspicious look.

 

Jaejoong noticed the look, and rolled his eyes, but he was clearly still caught up about the whole thing. He huffed at Yunho's attempt to placate him. He felt like Yunho thought he was stupid or something. That he could tide him over with promises of later, and Jaejoong would forget all about it, on the basis of that, and leave Yunho alone, until the next time. He felt like he was being tricked; like Yunho thought he was gullible.

 

He said nothing, allowing the conversation to drop in his anger, until they got closer to the station.

 

Jaejoong was never one for keeping his anger to himself. If he was angry he wanted the world to know all about it. He wanted everyone else in the universe to suffer. That was the only way to get things done. That was the only way to get his own way out of situations like this.

 

But he wasn't stupid about it.

 

That's why he'd waited until they got closer to the station, before he sped up his walking, stepping fully out into the wind and rain, eyes clenching into slits, instinctively. “What are you doing?” Yunho demanded, though the words were stripped of any true emotion by the distance and the weather.

 

Jaejoong ignored him, crossing his arms disinterestedly as he stomped his way into the station, making sure his blank mask didn't crack in the wake of his relief at making it indoors.

 

Yunho hurriedly put down the umbrella, grasping at Jaejoong's wrist harshly as the older man tried to walk off. “What is your problem?” he demanded, but his tone was pleading, hoping that Jaejoong would explain what was going on; why he'd had such a sudden mood swing.

 

Jaejoong just stared at him. For a moment there wasn't even any malice in that look. That sort of blank look just made Yunho shudder. It reminded him of the time Jaejoong had fainted at the Easter show when they were 14. He'd called the other boy's name in shock as his form sank to the ground. His head had lolled backwards; his eyelids sliding open, but the eyes that had met his own were so vacant; so hollow, he didn't recognise him. Tears had sprung to his eyes at that dead look. It was so eerie to see a look that reminded him so much of that moment, that he released his hold on the older man, unable to keep a tight grip on him.

 

Jaejoong for his part, took that moment to proceed through the barriers, making his way over to the platform their train would be leaving from. The train had yet to pull onto the platform, and with so many people down that side of the platform, he started walking further up.

 

Once he'd regained control of himself, Yunho had sprinted through those barriers, only slowing down when Jaejoong's retreating back was once again visible from his location. His steps slowed to a jog, as he caught up with the older man, preparing himself for whatever might come of this.

 

He grasped the older man's wrist once again, not really expecting the way the older man rounded on him, eyes filled with rage, as he stalked closer to him. They were standing chest to chest in the middle of the platform, with Jaejoong's fiery eyes burning through his own.

 

As terrifying as he was, god Jaejoong could be y.

 

“What do you want Yunho? You made it perfectly clear I didn't deserve any explanations about what's going on. You made it clear that in the grand scheme of things, I don't matter, so why won't you leave me alone?” he demanded, angrily.

 

The train pulled in before Yunho had a chance to comment, and Jaejoong eyed it momentarily. “You won't sit anywhere near me, do you understand. Just knowing I might be breathing the same air as you makes me want to punch you in the face right now.” he hissed, stalking angrily onto the train.

 

Yunho sighed to himself, as he stepped through the door, a few steps behind Jaejoong. He noticed that the older man had sat down in a booth with another man, and he sighed, wishing he could join them.

 

Now that the weather had turned bad, everyone had reverted to using the trains to get around. Since they were heading for the inner city, the train was packed full of people. The ride would only take 20 minutes, but they would clearly be spent standing up for Yunho. Unless he were courageous enough to brave Jaejoong's wrath and go sit with them.

 

He wasn't.

 

He must have zoned out for a few minutes, because the next thing he knew, the train had pulled into the next station, and another throng of people were racing through the doors. His head flickered over to the booth he knew Jaejoong to be sitting at, but he was horrified to find that he had gone. The other man was still seated there, comfortably enough, which partially alleviated Yunho's fear that he'd been snatched, to be assaulted and for his effeminate beauty, but only slightly.

 

At the same moment he was about to throw himself out of the doors, a warm body pressed up against him, far closer than any of the other people had been already. He was about to tell the person to leave him alone; that he wasn't interested, when a pair of sharp, dark eyes met his own.

 

“We're not speaking about this, and this doesn't mean I've forgiven you. This means nothing.” Jaejoong informed the younger man, even as he wrapped his arms about his neck for support, while he pressed the length of his body against him. The harsh whisper only made Yunho smile, as Jaejoong rubbed his face against Yunho's shoulder, breathing in the familiar scent to calm his racing heart.