Chapter 30

Putting Us Back Together

When he got back to the apartment, he found Jaejoong curled up on their lounge watching something on the TV. He gave a short, half-wave to Jaejoong but the older man didn't appear to have noticed him. “Jae—” he began but the older man shushed him with a pillow to the side of the face, eyes never leaving the screen.

 

He turned to observe the TV in order to work out what had taken Jaejoong's attention so closely. He wasn't certain that he recognised the show at all, but it was clearly a very dramatic courtroom scene. He tried working out what TV programs had courtrooms in them, but he quickly realised that if he didn't know what the show was, he'd never be able to decipher it using that method.

 

He considered reaching for the TV remote, to be able to call up the info box, but with the way Jaejoong was staring at the screen at the moment, he might lose a hand if he tried. He quickly dismissed that idea as being useless.

 

He then started to wonder whether or not it was even a TV show at all. Perhaps the older man was watching a movie. But he was fairly certain he'd seen all the movies in the apartment. Although that had been before Jaejoong had moved in. The two boys watched very different movies, and he'd never had the time yet to watch all the movies he'd “acquired” when Jaejoong had moved in. At first it had been because they weren't that close, and he feared Jaejoong might have gotten angry at him for it, but since then there'd just been a lot going on. He'd been considering doing it once he was on break, but that was still a while away yet.

 

He decided there was nothing else he could do, other than sit back and watch the end of whatever it was. It seemed as though it was about to end, since the characters were simply waiting for a verdict from the jury. After Changmin told him about the mark, he'd known he needed to go explain things to Jaejoong right away. He wasn't entirely sure what he was going to say, but he felt like he had to explain. Who knows what Jaejoong might be thinking or feeling after seeing that mark.

 

The episode finished and Jaejoong finally seemed to realise Yunho was there. “Ah, sorry Yunho. I didn't really realise you were there.” he explained sheepishly, with a cute little smile on his face. “I've been lazing about all day, and somewhere along the line I started watching the Law and Order marathon. After being with the case right from the start, you just really want to see how everything turns out, you know?”

 

One look at Jaejoong had told him that the older man had yet to have a shower, since he was still clad in his pyjamas from the previous evening. He wouldn't even have known that, had he not run into the older man on a bathroom run. He had been avoiding him almost continuously since he got back from his dinner with his parents.

 

“I can't say as I'm much of a fan of Law and Order.” he confessed, a little too pleased to find Jaejoong willingly talking to him after last night's silent treatment, to start explaining himself immediately.

 

“How is that physically possible? The only bad thing about Law and Order is the number of times they show repeats, but the marathon had all new episodes, so it was fine.” Jaejoong exclaimed excitedly.

 

“Well then I'm sorry I interrupted your new episode.” Yunho apologised, only half-seriously.

 

Jaejoong smiled at the comment, giving Yunho a light smack on the knee as he got up, moving to the bathroom, “That's okay. Now if you'd interrupted me earlier I wouldn't have been pleased.”

 

“Why what were you doing earlier?” Yunho asked back intrigued, thoughtlessly following Jaejoong, trailing after him around the apartment.

 

“I was watching the music channel.” Jaejoong confessed as he made his way over to turn off the TV, now that neither of them were going to be watching it.

 

“I didn't think you were all that interested in the latest music.” Yunho confessed, realising even as he said it that he wasn't all that certain of that one way or the other. He'd have to steal Jaejoong's iPod to see what he listened to.

 

“I'm not.” Jaejoong revealed enigmatically, “I do like musicians however. Have you seen some of those guys; they're gorgeous! Those Teen Top guys? Absolutely adorable! I'd go out with anyone of them in a heartbeat.” he gushed giddily.

 

“They're like 6 years younger than you!” he gasped, sounding outraged, by the prospect of Jaejoong going out with anyone of them.

 

“So what? That's irrelevant. They sing this new song 'No More Perfume On You' it's really y. I'm sure they'd be happy to have me.” he told the other man, making Yunho roll his eyes.

 

Feeling a little mischievous, Jaejoong couldn't resist teasing his clearly scandalised friend. If he wanted to, which he no doubt would later, Jaejoong could have interpreted his outrage as his being jealous of Jaejoong giving his attention to the musicians. That would of course be both stupid and pathetic. Considering the fact that Yunho was decidedly not interested in him, and the other equally obvious fact that he was never going to meet the members of Teen Top. “Whenever I think of Chunji's wink, or that 'devil-may-care' attitude of L. Joe I just...” he trailed off, writhing slightly, as he dropped his voice low, to give the impression of arousal. He got so into his own little act, that he felt his knees shuddering and before he knew it he'd collapsed against Yunho's strong frame, which had been directly behind him.

 

He straightened himself up, feeling embarrassed for having acted so silly. He really had gotten too carried away there, but he knew Yunho wouldn't realise it. He made sure to gaze up at him dreamily, his eyes half-lidded as they looked up at Yunho, while he regained his balance. He sent Yunho a grateful look as he shut the bathroom door preparing to have his shower.

 

Yunho had looked so unhappy when he left him, that he would definitely have passed for a jealous boyfriend at that moment. He had to laugh as he realised that if Yunho were his boyfriend, he could have made everything better by admitting he was just trying to . As attractive as he was prepared to admit those Teen Top boys were, despite their younger age, it had been images of Yunho that he'd tapped into in order to act aroused.

 

- -

 

Yunho immediately returned to the lounge to sulk, “So, he likes younger guys?” he questioned lightly, but his stomach felt much heavier. He wondered if this was how he made Jaejoong feel when he came back last night, that mark fully on display. He rubbed at the mark self-consciously, as he realised that he was hoping Jaejoong was jealous of Mrs Park.

 

The idea was amusing, considering, that if anything, it should have been the other way around.

 

It took a few moments for him to realise that he could just barely catch a light tapping sound. At first he thought he might have imagined it, but the sound was too ordered; it couldn't have been an accident, surely? He got up, making his way over to the bathroom door, he'd had shut in his face just a second ago.

 

He hesitated slightly, wondering if he really had just been imagining it, but then that sound came again, never the same pattern twice. “Jae?” he queried, still not fully convinced that the other boy had been making that noise. “It's open” he was fairly certain he heard or at least that's what he told himself that he had heard.

 

He opened the door, waiting a moment before he stuck his head into the room. He hesitantly raised his eyes, scanning the room, knowing that Jaejoong would be in the shower. Honestly, he'd been hoping that Jaejoong wouldn't be in the shower yet, or that he'd be able to see him through a crack between the shower curtain and the wall. That was why he'd been so hesitant to look up; so he could pretend it was an accident, that he saw anything if Jaejoong had caught him.

 

“Oh good, I was worried you wouldn't hear me.” the other boy confessed. The shower was spraying a torrent of hot water each second, so that the place had already become very humid, the mirror having become entirely clouded. “What did you want?” he enquired, still feeling a bit jealous after Jaejoong's little show.

 

He'd never seen Jaejoong look so y in all his life. He refused to acknowledge it at the moment, but he'd probably be working that into his little repertoire of fantasies, to comfort himself with for the next hundred years of his life. How dare he get so aroused by a group of pop stars. So what if his liking them meant he had a technical chance with the older man. Sure he was younger than Jaejoong, but no where near that much younger than him. Realistically, he was probably classified into that group of guys Jaejoong would never even consider dating.

 

He'd have to make sure Jaejoong and Changmin were never left alone together in the future.

 

“I kind of forgot to get myself any clothes or pyjamas or anything to change into. Would you mind grabbing me something?” he pressed, wondering if he was asking too much of Yunho. He didn't know why he felt so worked up about this. He'd walked through the apartment in a towel before, because he forgot his clothes. Even though he knew he didn't stand a chance with Yunho, it had seemed acceptable before. Now that he knew Yunho was taken by someone, it felt wrong; too intimate; too relaxed for him to act in such a way.

 

“I dunno. Maybe you should ask one of those Teen Top boys to do it for you.” Yunho clucked, unable to keep some of his remaining annoyance out of his tone.

 

“Yunho.” Jaejoong pleaded, and the moment he said his name like that Yunho knew he was going to cave. Somehow he just knew that was going to get reworked into those fantasies of Jaejoong from earlier. If he ever found out, Jaejoong would most definitely kill him.

 

He didn't say anything, not trusting himself to keep his emotions to himself if he were to open his mouth. He didn't need Jaejoong finding out about any of his emotions. Be it the jealousy or the desire.

 

He wasn't certain what he was going to get for Jaejoong. He realised this was his first and probably only opportunity to choose the other boy's clothes on his behalf. He could pick out whatever he wanted, and Jaejoong would wear it, even if it was only for about a minute. He wandered into the older man's room, feeling like he was invading his territory. Everything looked so neat, he wasn't sure where he should be looking.

 

He pulled out drawers, and looked in his wardrobe, but Jaejoong owned so many clothes he couldn't work out where he should start. Jaejoong had a flair for wearing unusual clothes, and making them look drop dead amazing. After looking around a bit more, he had managed to find an underwear drawer, from which he stole a pair of black boxer-briefs, not wanting to risk Jaejoong's criticisms of his colour coordination were he to choose any of the other pairs he found in there.

 

He wasn't sure why his heart started racing when he spied the older man's collection, or why his stomach took a subsequent nosedive. He told himself that every guy had a collection like that, since one should always be prepared. But the thought that Jaejoong needed to be prepared at all, still upset an irrational part of him. He made sure to block the idea that it wasn't preparation for an eventual tryst, but materials for a planned evening with someone else.

 

Giving up with a huff, he made his way out of Jaejoong's bedroom feeling like he'd accomplished nothing. He knew he needed to get the other man something to wear, but nothing he'd seen in the older man's room that he could discern as being clothing, had caught his fancy. All his clothes were too dressy; too fashionable. It was just the two of them sitting at home together. He wanted Jaejoong to be comfortable.

 

He knew what he wanted the other man to wear, and he ducked into his own room with a wide grin spread across his lips. Jaejoong would probably be horrified when he saw what Yunho had chosen, and he'd probably be looked at like he was an idiot or a weirdo for wanting Jaejoong to wear his clothes but he didn't care.

 

Because really, at the end of the day, the worst that Jaejoong would ever do would be to take off his clothes, exchanging them for an outfit of his own choosing. Yunho could deal with that.

 

So he very stealthily, returned to the bathroom, unable to believe that the room had managed to get more stuffy and steam filled than it had been when he'd left it a moment ago. Jaejoong thanked him, knowing that the door opening must have been Yunho bringing him clothes.

 

Yunho had suspected that Jaejoong might have forgotten a towel, if he also forgot to bring any clothes for himself, and a quick look around the room told him that inference had been correct. He was glad that he'd stopped by the linen closet to pick one up as he passed. He deposited the items on the toilet lid, and shut the door behind him.

 

Now he'd just have to wait.

 

- -

 

He'd started watching a movie, when he returned to the lounge room, but he found he was only half watching it. His eyes kept drifting in the direction of the hallway. He couldn't see the bathroom door itself from where he was currently, so he kept his ears trained on the apartment, straining to hear the faintest sound that would tell him Jaejoong had come out of the bathroom, and was trying to slip into his room to change before Yunho saw him.

 

When the sound of the bathroom door opening finally did come, around 10 minutes later, it sounded like a loud bang to Yunho. He'd forgotten just how loud the bathroom door was, convinced as he was that Jaejoong would be trying to sneak away, unseen by him.

 

“Now it might just be me, but I don't recall these items being in my wardrobe.” Jaejoong stated, voice amused, as he leant against the wall at the juncture between the hallway and the lounge room. Indeed, he had a big grin adorning his face, as he observed Yunho who was unabashedly taking in the sight of him, from top to bottom.

 

“I agree. I must've found them in your drawers.” he teased. Internally marvelling at Jaejoong. He knew he wouldn't fool the other man for a second. The dark grey track pants he'd given the older man were too long for him, so they pooled around his feet. The white T-shirt wasn't any better, drowning his petite build so that the hole designed for his head actually revealed a large expanse of the vast, smooth skin of his left shoulder. If he wasn't careful, it might slip off his shoulder entirely. The clothes were far too simple and casual to be Jaejoong's style at all. Not that he didn't look lovely in them.

 

Just looking at him, made Yunho feel like he'd managed to find the most attractive man in the country. His features and his new clothes meshed, so that he somehow managed to simultaneously look y and cute, though how that was even physically possible Yunho didn't know. To the best of his knowledge the two ideas were a binary; mutually exclusive.

 

Jaejoong laughed at Yunho's response, “I'm fairly certain I haven't seen them there either.” he commented lightly as he started making his way over to Yunho. He looked so attractive as he confidently strode towards him, that Yunho couldn't move. But then in true Jaejoong fashion, the material pooling around his feet, made him slip, and he crashed to the floor, with a thud.

 

He laughed, making as if to get up and keep walking but he seemingly thought better of it, as he proceeded to crawl the rest of the way over to the lounge, before hoisting himself up. He flashed Yunho a grin, to tell the younger man he was alright, in the hopes of erasing the slight crease his concern had placed between his eyebrows.

 

“Alright. I confess. I burned all your clothes, now you're stuck dressing casually like everyone else.” he stated, with a grin, that Jaejoong returned. With Jaejoong gazing up at him like that; so relaxed, so happy, he couldn't keep up the joke anymore. Jaejoong didn't need to question him to make Yunho want to talk to him. His mere presence was enough to make Yunho spill his guts about everything. “I didn't like any of your clothes. They're too complicated. When we're here; just you and me, I think of us as simple, comfortable people. You needed clothes that matched.” he whispered.

 

Jaejoong gave him a cheeky grin as he commented, “Well I do like them. But the person you stole them from is just so much bigger than me.” Yunho laughed, putting a pout on his lips, as he answered, “Aw, Jaejoong thinks I'm big. It's not my fault that I'm taller than you.” he sneered, childishly sticking his tongue out at the other man, before continuing, “Or that you have a girly body.”

 

Jaejoong scoffed at the comment, crossing his arms prissily, before commenting, “Tch. You want me.” acting like a total diva.

 

The two drifted into silence for a moment before Yunho found himself mumbling something. He hadn't even realised the words had slipped from his mouth until Jaejoong turned to him, eyeing him in confusion. He'd heard the words himself, but it had seemed as though they'd come from someone else. Realising they were in fact said by him, he tried to clamp his hands over his lips as though that would erase the words.

 

He hadn't meant to say something like that. God only knew how Jaejoong would interpret what he'd said. He knew it was crazy and insane and a spur of the moment comment. He wasn't the sort of person who came up with those sorts of nonsensical ideas. What was Jaejoong doing to him?

 

“What was that?” Jaejoong questioned, not certain he'd heard Yunho correctly. Yunho wasn't the type to suggest stuff like that. Not that he would ever accuse Yunho of being no fun, or anything. But Yunho was more practical; he didn't decide to do things on the spur of the moment anywhere near as often as he did.

 

As though he couldn't help himself, Yunho answered him, the words slipping past his lips again, still not under his control. But the more times he heard it, the more he liked his spontaneous idea. It sounded like it'd be lots of fun, and better than that, it'd give him some time alone where he wouldn't have to worry about everyone annoying him for a little while. “Let's go somewhere.”

 

“I thought that's what you said. Where did you want to go?” Jaejoong queried, seemingly as happy to go along with Yunho's new idea as he was.

 

Yunho only allowed himself to think about the matter for a moment, before he answered, “Somewhere tropical.” deciding the best way to make these plans would be to do them on the spur of the moment.

 

“When did you want to go?” he queried Jaejoong back, who laughed as he exuberantly exclaimed “The week after our exams.”

 

“How long should we go for?” he questioned back childishly, “4 days.” Yunho answered.

 

The two of them just kept getting more excited about the whole plan. “This is insane. There are so many details we'd need to work out. How are we going to afford this? What about reservations? Passports? We just...we can't...” Jaejoong stated, but the mirth in his features, told Yunho that Jaejoong wanted it to happen just as badly as he did.

 

Yunho shushed him, stating, “I'll sort out the details later, if you want to, that is?” he questioned, tone hushed, as though considering for the first time that Jaejoong might not really have been interested in going.

 

Jaejoong shrugged, smiling jubilantly, “I guess we can, if you want to Yunnie?” before hurriedly rolling up his pants.

 

“Where are you going?” Yunho questioned him, bemused. “To cook us a meal to celebrate our upcoming holiday.” Jaejoong told him with a smile.