Chapter 18

Putting Us Back Together

“Come on.” Jaejoong said, all of a sudden. Yunho looked up from the Sudoku puzzle he'd been puzzling over from the newspaper, for some time now, only to find a completely dressed Jaejoong staring down at him impatiently.

 

“What?” he demanded, not sure he understood what Jaejoong wanted.

 

Jaejoong huffed, “You and I are going out. Let's go.” his arms crossed impatiently. He never was one who enjoyed waiting. In the old days he might've slowed down his movements deliberately just to annoy him. But Jaejoong was no longer the energetic kid, pushing him forwards from behind. If Yunho dawdled, Jaejoong would take off on his own; he didn't trail after him like a lost child anymore. Now that was Yunho, grasping at the slightest traces of Jaejoong, hoping to be brought along for the ride.

 

He considered asking where they were going. He considered asking what he would need. But one look from Jaejoong told him that any delays for questions or any other purpose would not be tolerated. So instead, he sighed, raising himself up form the lounge, and putting on a pair of shoes.

 

Within moments he was being rushed out of the apartment by Jaejoong. The two boys made their way down the sunny streets, every now and then glancing at the ominous clouds hovering off to their right. They couldn't tell if they were approaching or retreating, or how long it would take them to get there, if that was where they were headed. Even if they did, there were no guarantees that it would rain, and yet the threat seemed pertinent enough to warrant their attention.

 

Yunho didn't bother asking Jaejoong where they were going, but he followed the other boy's steps, in sync, and allowed himself to wonder what the other boy had in mind when he dragged him out of the house.

 

It wasn't long before they were in front of a building, that apparently meant something to Jaejoong. They couldn't afford to just come to a dead stop in the middle of the pavement, without people trying to walk into them every few seconds. Instead, he grasped Yunho's arm, tugging him through the mass of people, up onto the steps of the wide open front.

 

The few extra centimetres of height were enough to take them out of the fray, and give them a chance to look around. There were all sorts of oddly looking machines, arranged into various patterns, designed to funnel customers into different parts of the floor space. There were neon lights and loud noises extending from everywhere, and yet the place was relatively empty, all things considered.

 

They were at an arcade.

 

Yunho's eyes immediately lit up. He wanted to play everything there was. He wanted to try his hand at every game the place had. On this first floor though, all of the games seemed to be relatively generic. There were heaps of those games where you stack blocks to win a prise, and several variations on the 'claw' game, idea. In a way he was a little disappointed with the fare he found on this floor.

 

Jaejoong smiled at the excited look Yunho sent the place, but was unsurprised when he saw his expression fall slightly as he took in the games. He didn't think that Yunho would be interested in the entry floor. But this was where he spied the nearest game card area. He needed to put a lot of money on the card, for them to be able to enjoy themselves.

 

Ignoring his slightly crestfallen friend, he stepped over to the machine, putting $60 on the card straight up. Once he had the $60 worth of credits, he gestured Yunho over. It wasn't until Jaejoong started leading him up the staircase that Yunho even realised it was there.

 

He hadn't seen that there was more than one floor; too taken up with the sights and sounds of the first arcade he'd been to in a while. It wasn't actually that far from their university campus, or their home either, for that matter. “Most people come here in the evenings, so even though it's a weekend we should be more or less alone, up here.” Jaejoong informed the other boy, having to whisper directly into his ear to be able to be heard.

 

It was on this second floor that the younger boy's eyes really lit up. Here were all the fighting games Jaejoong had never figured out how to play. Here was where the 5 different racing car games, and one set of motorbike racing games were located. It was also the location of the stores two different DDR machines, and where their various other rhythm based games were located as well. Even Jaejoong was intrigued to find that down the back, near the first person shooter games, there were two new simulation based games.

 

Yunho's eyes were alight with excitement, and Jaejoong gestured to the games, sending Yunho racing off excitedly. They played every single game at least once, no matter how bad Jaejoong may have been at them. They both had a very short but amusing stint in the new simulation games, where they learnt that Yunho couldn't shoot, but Jaejoong managed to hit every target, even when he had his eyes closed.

 

In contrast though, Yunho was able to KO Jaejoong's fighters with a few flicks of his fingers. He tried explaining something about combo moves to Jaejoong, but it was pointless. Jaejoong just saw a joystick and 3 buttons that were clearly supposed to be struck as fast as he could, one after another. Yunho would laugh at him the whole time, occasionally getting irked when Jaejoong managed to sneak in some combo he didn't even realise he'd selected, and actually dealt a blow or two to Yunho. But loss always followed soon after.

 

They were about equally matched when it came to rhythm games, although Jaejoong's sense of balance at DDR was pretty much non-existent. They never played the game fanatically, and so they were only ever playing it on a low level. Usually Yunho would still win though. He was the more athletic of the two of them, and his coordination was amazing. He was always joking that he was thinking of getting DDR for the apartment, as his own home exercise system, to train for soccer.

 

Jaejoong rolled his eyes, insisting that they have a go on all the racing games. Here they were more evenly matched, and the wins seemed to be split almost equally between them. Unfortunately the games often devolved into competitions to smash the other racer's car up the most, and deprive them of victory. But despite the pettiness and childishness of such goals, both boys ended up cackling in hysterics over the incidents, usually starting another race directly afterwards.

 

By the time they were getting ready to go off in search of food, Jaejoong realised that they had only missed one event. There was still enough cash remaining on their arcade card, and so he gestured Yunho over to the motorbikes, propping himself up against one of them.

 

Yunho looked as though he were considering disagreeing with Jaejoong's request, actually being quite hungry by that point. But one look at his Jaejoong propped up against the fake motorbike and he was sold.

 

While he might always be the type of guy up for another game, this one was prompted by decidedly more interesting thoughts. At his nod, he observed the way Jaejoong, who was then smiling, carefully draped himself upon the motorbike. His feet came up to rest on the pedals, his fingers tensely gripping the handlebars, and his body mirrored the lines of the motorbike's body.

 

His mouth went dry at the sight.

 

“I didn't realise you were attracted to motorbikes.” he stated lazily, for want of something to say, as he settled into position beside his friend. Jaejoong allowed his eyelids to droop in a pseudo-ual manner, “How can I not? They're so y!” he murmured, voice a low growl, as he shuffled backwards slightly on the hard plastic seat, wriggling his in the air slightly, his thighs clenching to maintain his balance atop the machine.

 

Unfortunately, the movement disturbed the motorbike, and it began tipping to the side, quite drastically, and he had to struggle to stop himself from slipping off of it entirely. Yunho's previous, momentary desire was replaced by laughter at his friend's expense.

 

Though he would have to remember that Jaejoong was very good at being y when he wanted to be. He was certainly going to be banned from having any boyfriends, Yunho mused to himself, distractedly, as their game began.

 

- -

 

Relishing in his win, Jaejoong dragged Yunho out of the arcade. It had certainly cost him a lot of money, and they had lost who knows how much of their day in the dark room, but it had been worth it. The two of them had gotten to spend some time together again, and they both seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely.

 

He pulled Yunho along behind him, a few doors down to a sliding glass door. Yunho was going to question what they were doing there, but as he eyed the staircase before them, he spied a large sign on the wall at the top. Pizza Hut.

 

Noticing Yunho's quizzical look, Jaejoong blanched slightly, his gaze resting on the step before him, “What? My eating habits aren't as healthy as you thought? Bite me.” he shrugged, trying to give off the idea that he didn't care what Yunho thought of the place he'd chosen for their lunch.

 

Well, the place closest to the arcade that sold food, might be a better description.

 

But he had wanted pizza. He loved pizza. This was one of the only eat-in Pizza Hut restaurants that he'd seen since he was about 10. He'd been so excited the day he'd found it; he might have managed to eat an entire pizza by himself; a large one.

 

Yunho shook his head slightly, making his way up the steps, Jaejoong in tow, commenting “I love Pizza Hut pizza, remember? You converted me when I was like 12 and I've never looked back. I just wasn't sure someone like you would eat pizza anymore.”

 

Jaejoong was puzzled by the comment, but bit his tongue while Yunho ordered for the both of them. He paid for their meal, Jaejoong knowing that it was his repayment for Jaejoong paying for the arcade for the both of them, and allowed themselves to be lead to a booth by one of the staff.

 

Because it was the weekend, and an atypical time to be getting food, there was hardly anyone in the store. Jaejoong even felt a little bad for taking up a whole booth for just the two of them, but one glance around the store told him he had no reason to be. There were only 2 other groups of customers in the store, and both of them were couples, and fairly spaced out around the store.

 

“How did you remember my order?” Jaejoong queried, as they sat down, exclaiming his surprise and delight that Yunho had known what he should order on his behalf. Yunho shrugged lightly, “I've always known your pizza order. I used to have to phone it in all the time for you, when your mother told you to call, remember? You were afraid of the phone until you were, like, 15.” he commented with a laugh.

 

“I guess I've never forgotten it.” Yunho murmured afterwards, more softly. But his tone told Jaejoong he wasn't surprised that he remembered it. He probably recited it to himself every evening, since they were children. Or switched to ordering it himself, once they stopped being friends; adopting Jaejoong's favourite pizza as his own. He had to shake his head to get the pathetic thoughts out of his mind; he clearly wanted Yunho to care more about him than he had. He wanted Yunho to have been moping over him, when they separated, despite it being Yunho that decided to end their friendship.

 

“What did you mean when you said you didn't think people like me ate pizza? Who is like me?” Jaejoong queried, as much out of his curiosity at Yunho's oddly worded comment, as out of a desire to put his previous romantic thoughts out of his mind. It wouldn't do him any good to wish that Yunho loved him; he couldn't even be certain Yunho wanted the two of them to be best friends anymore. Maybe he just felt bad about the way things had happened between them? Maybe he was just being a nice guy, and trying to help someone out? Why did he want Yunho to like him anyway? He didn't like Yunho, even if he did want them to be friends again.

 

“You're so attractive these days. People who are attractive tend to be exercise fanatics and on diets or counting calories or whatever. I dunno, you're the one who had sisters. Besides you're always so fussy about eating healthily.” Yunho explained lamely, eyeing the kitchen anxiously, wanting them to hurry up and bring out their order.

 

As hungry as Jaejoong was, he knew staring at them wasn't going to get his food cooked any faster, so he entertained himself, continuing the conversation between them. “I'm not... I don't do...” he began, but he couldn't quite find the words he wanted, his cheeks flaring as Yunho's compliment finally sunk into his brain.

 

Yunho smiled at him, nodding his head up and down, as though he could fully observe Jaejoong's form through the table by doing so. “You have gotten much thinner since then. And your muscles are more defined.” he gestured towards Jaejoong's arms.

 

His blush darkened a little, against his will, and Jaejoong tried to convince himself to keep his hands away from his arms. He felt oddly aware of his arms after that comment. “Maybe, but I don't diet. You've seen me eat at home all the time. And I definitely don't exercise.” he scoffed.

 

“Now, now, don't talk about yourself like that. You'd make a fine athlete.” Yunho smiled, unable to resist an opportunity to take a dig at Jaejoong, even as he tried to reassure the older man that his self-deprecating comment was unfounded, “The day sleeping is made an official sport.” he laughed.

 

Jaejoong couldn't help grinning at the comment. “I wish!” he grunted, becoming slightly depressed at the reminder of how much he loved sleep, as it only reminded him of how little of it he was getting while they were still at university. “I have so many assessment tasks right now, it's a nightmare. I'm seriously considering suicide, just so I'll be able to get some sleep!”

 

“You know, what I hate?” Jaejoong questioned, suddenly, waiting for a questioning glance from Yunho before he would continue speaking. “I hate it when people lecture you about your eating habits. They always glare at me and go off at me whenever they see me doing something like this. I am healthy; I watch what I eat, and so I deserve to be able to have a treat every now and again, you know?” he ranted, getting a little annoyed at the thought of the reproachful looks and horrified words of others, when they'd seen him eat something unhealthy.

 

Yunho shrugged a little, not really one for thinking too much about other people one way or another. He had enough to worry about without adding to his problems, by getting worked up about other people's debates.

 

“Yoochun was a health nut. He used to want me to eat all healthy stuff all the time, and he'd freak out if I tried bringing anything else home. You know like it was a crime for me to not feel like cooking something, or buying something that wasn't 100% healthy. He actually questioned me when I made food for us, about all of the nutritional values of the meal I'd made. If he didn't like the numbers, he'd refuse to eat any of it.” Jaejoong noted, but there was no real inflection in his tone as he spoke.

 

“You don't talk much about Yoochun.” Yunho mentioned, though he kept his eyes focused on the window as he spoke. Yoochun's words about Jaejoong's love for him hadn't yet left his mind. He may not have like the thought of it, but he was in some twisted sort of way, trying to see if there was anything to it. He knew that if he asked Jaejoong he'd deny it. He knew that if he didn't then it would hurt. And yet, still he was trying to seek that information out.

 

It just hadn't sounded like Jaejoong, to set out to seduce someone. He may have been drop dead y without trying, but he didn't seem the sort to actually try and initiate anything. He barely seemed to be aware of how ually appealing he was. Even if he were, Yunho really couldn't see him being the sort of person to try and act on it.

 

But perhaps he acted differently around Yoochun? Perhaps he wanted Yoochun more than he let on. But how could someone go from being in love with someone to largely ignoring that they even existed. Most of the time, Jaejoong didn't even mention him. He doubted that Jaejoong even thought about him. How would that be possible, if he were so madly attracted to him, as Yoochun had claimed.

 

But Jaejoong had never said anything to the contrary.

 

He said he didn't think he was in love with Yoochun, so perhaps there had been some sort of misunderstanding about his actions? Or, perhaps there was no confusion. Jaejoong wasn't a 15 year old teenage boy anymore. Maybe he had been looking to pursue a ual relationship with Yoochun? Maybe he said he wasn't in love with him because love had had nothing to do with it.

 

The thought that Jaejoong could do something like that, made him shiver. It didn't seem like the sort of action that he could rationalise to himself. He wasn't sure Jaejoong would be able to distance himself from like that. He'd always had this image in mind, that the first person Jaejoong was intimate with, he would stick to for the rest of his life. He could see Jaejoong not caring whether he'd loved or even liked the other person before that. He could see himself putting all of his emotions into the act.

 

Perhaps that was part of the reason he'd been so adamant he had to protect Jaejoong. Because he was worried about someone so loyal and sweet, falling into the wrong hands. Because he feared that someone who didn't deserve that commitment would receive it. Perhaps he was afraid that someone would take advantage of him as a result. Maybe that's part of why Yoochun's implication that Jaejoong was far more mature, and a lot less innocent than he thought he was, had been so horrifying to him.

 

“That's because I don't want to talk about him. If he doesn't need me, I don't need him.” he responded arrogantly, arms crossed and laying on the table. “Besides, I don't really think about him that much. I have other stuff to think about; university, you, my family, myself. I don't have time to waste on someone like him.” he finished, thoughtfully.

 

Yunho was saved from having to ask him anything further, with their food being brought out. He'd gotten a pizza for himself and one for Jaejoong, knowing that they were both starving. Besides, they were boys, not little girls; they could already eat a lot without being starving like they were at that moment. To split a pizza would only have left them both hungry despite the expense of the meal.

 

Like a gentleman, he took their plastic glasses, and filled the drinks, walking them both over to their table carefully.

 

Jaejoong gave him a grateful smile, and Yunho smiled back. He liked this. The whole day had been simple; easy; fun. This was how things were supposed to be. It was nice getting to relax, and get out of the house for a little while. It was nice doing something out of the ordinary for a change.

 

Jaejoong looked about awkwardly, not feeling comfortable in their settings. Back at the apartment, he could do whatever he liked. He could be dressed sloppily, eat messily with his fingers, eat the whole pizza by himself, while watching TV. He could be gross. But here, they were out in public; he had to be mindful of how he looked.

 

He was with Yunho, which, usually would mean that he didn't have to worry about that sort of thing. One look from Yunho and he was convinced that he could do whatever he liked and no one would notice and no one would care. He felt liberated when it was just the two of them.

 

But this time was different. For some reason he couldn't quite identify, he felt as though he needed to impress Yunho. He felt like he needed to meet his approval, and that anything less than perfect manners would result in him failing at that. In some ways, it kind of felt like they were on a date together.

 

Though his fingers were itching to pick up the slices of the pizza, Jaejoong forced them instead to gather the western knife and fork provided with his plate. He cut it up in bite size pieces, despite the fact that he'd rather bite straight into it.

 

Yunho observed Jaejoong's hesitant actions; his movements were slow and precise. It was both amusing to watch and kind of distressing. He knew that Jaejoong wasn't the sort of person to want to eat like that. He was the type of person who liked to bite straight into it. Who got his hands dirty. In some ways, this civilised Jaejoong was a bit of a disappointment.

 

He looked much cuter when he was at home. Back where he would be comfortable in their apartment, he would be so cute. It was so adorable to see him sitting on their lounge, the TV blaring, while he smiles and cheers, his fingers slippery with the grease. This mature, civilised Jaejoong was so constrained by comparison.

 

When they finished their meal, Yunho knew what he wanted to do more than anything else at that moment. He dragged Jaejoong back to their apartment, insisting that the older boy spend the next several hours playing every game they owned, in the comfort of their own lounge room.