Chapter 20

Putting Us Back Together

A/N: Everyone still enjoying the story??? I hope so.... I get the impression alot of people have exams coming up right now, good luck to everyone... I'm too concerned by essays to even THINK about my exams right now.... At least it'll be over soon, ne? So I noticed that I got a question (not pertaining to things yet to come, cause I don't want to spoil things for you, but I've been reading them all, sorry I couldn't think of what to say in response ot you all) the other day, and I wasn't sure where to address the matter... I considered sendng an answer in a private message, but then I remembered what my nan used to say, that "if you have a question, there are probably heaps of other people wondering the same thing, so by asking you'll get an answer not just for yourself, but for the others who are too scared to ask." so I figured I should answer it here, just in case there are other people who weren't sure either/wanted confirmation about the matter....

When did Jaejoong tell Yunho he was gay? Okay, so Yunho already had a gut feeling that Jaejoong was gay, so it was really just an assumption, Jaejoong never told him. However, in Chapter 14 Jaejoong sort of confirms that his assumption is right (which it is. Jaejoong = gay in this story). So technically he tells Yunho that he's gay in Chapter 14.

Thanks for asking me a question! I sometimes get the feeling that me positing stories comes across as really one-sided, which while it's good that you're enjoying the story makes me feel a little left out on the fun. It's so nice to get to interact with you guys! I wonder... would it make you guys happy or sad if I said that (because of the way I'm deciding chapter length) this story isn't even half-way through yet? Anyway, enjoy the update, ne? New character, ah I love this chapter/character...one of my favourites in the story, do you like him too?

- -

“Hello?” Yunho grumbled tiredly as he brought his mobile to his ear. He couldn't open his eyes, the light burning his retinas painfully. The room was much cooler than his blankets, and so he dragged the phone under them all, so that he could blearily blink open his eyes.

 

“Glad I managed to catch you awake.” an amused voice commented through the phone line.

 

Yunho's lips curved upwards in a warm grin at the voice he easily recognised. “I'm only awake because you called.” he grumbled good-naturedly.

 

“Either way, you're awake.” was the easy reply.

 

“Ah, what do you want Changmin?” Yunho enquired, revelling in the sound of the familiar voice of his younger brother.

 

“I was wondering if you'd be able to make it for a morning coffee?” he queried, almost expecting Yunho's momentary pause of consideration, if his quick additional comment were any indication, “I need to discuss something with you.”

 

Yunho bit his lip in consideration. He was reluctant to leave Jaejoong under any circumstances after they had been separated for so long. But this was his beloved little brother, whom he hardly got to see these days.

 

He was the member of his family he saw the most, and yet he only ever saw him every few weeks. The poor boy was still in the midst of his studies, often sharing news of his results via text with Yunho, or else asking his advice about different things. Really, Changmin was far more intelligent than Yunho was, which he knew well enough, and yet he always made sure to avail himself to all ideas and suggestions Yunho had for him.

 

He'd always admired his older brother, ever since he was little.

 

Even now that he had turned into a little genius, the shy, artistically inclined boy was always listening to Yunho's advice. Recently it had been regarding university picks. He wanted to check information about degree requirements at his older brother's university.

 

Neither of them had ever bothered to inform his parents, but the two of them had long since decided where they were going. Yunho had trailed after Jaejoong, secretly to their university. And now that Yunho was there, it was only natural that Changmin would follow. It was kind of like osmosis, except Changmin moved to an area of high Yunho concentration, rather than solutes.

 

He had also been the better son when it came to the sciences.

 

“For you? Any time. Where are we going?” Yunho questioned eagerly, getting excited at the thought that his brother might have some news for him. Marks seemed to constantly be coming back when you were in high school; at university they come in trickles, so you never realise where your overall grades were coming from.

 

“Le Jardin. 25 minutes.” Changmin informed him, promptly hanging up the phone after those few, short words had left his lips. He always did have a flair for being abrupt.

 

Yunho hoisted himself out of bed. Changmin was also known for being prompt. If Yunho wasn't there, he might very well turn around and go home. He hurriedly dressed, deciding a shower was not essential for a meeting with his brother, before throwing on some clean clothes.

 

His face lit up in a grin when he opened his draws to find his clothing neatly folded, and arranged according to the type of clothes they were. He normally left everything of his in a mess. Before he used to put off washing until he literally had no other choice but to do it, and the clothes would then never make it back into his room. He'd just pick up whatever he wanted to wear from the clean clothes basket until he was forced to do another load of washing. Consequently, there could only be one reason that everything had been put away so neatly.

 

Jaejoong.

 

He honestly couldn't see why Yoochun had complained about this sort of treatment. It was nice having someone taking care of such little things for you. He felt like he'd received a treat being able to indulge in proper clean clothes. They never really felt clean unless you took them out of your draws to be able to put them on.

 

The thought reminded him to quickly gather the paracetamol from the medicine cabinet, and leave the packet on the bench, with a chill bottle of water. He wrote a quick note explaining that he was going out, and hoping Jaejoong felt better. He sent the arrangement a quick smile, before realising how late he was going to be if he didn't leave.

 

He grabbed his wallet and keys and was out the door, at a light jog within a moment. He would have been fine if it hadn't taken him a minute to find his hat.

 

- -

 

Jaejoong awoke sharply. He strained his ears but there was nothing he could identify that should have been able to disturb his sleep. He tried to snuggle back into his blankets, but he was unhappy to find that his eyes were wide open. Whatever had woken him up had to have been internal. Because now he was wide awake.

 

A quick glance at his phone was enough to draw frustrated mewl from his lips. He hadn't gotten anywhere near enough sleep yet. He was lucky if he'd gotten 7 hours. He needed at least 9. He was never going to be able to survive the next week of university without it. The weekend was the only opportunity he got to catch up on 5 days worth of sleep. If he didn't get his full amount.... he shuddered at the thought of what might happen.

 

He had too much going on right now, he couldn't afford to become a brain dead zombie.

 

He could see it now. His lack of sleep catching up with him a few days later, when he had a report due. He could just see himself forgetting to reference something; maybe forgetting about references all together. Then before he knew it, he'd have a big red FAIL next to his name, and he'd be before some board of directors trying to explain why he shouldn't get kicked out of university altogether.

 

They couldn't do that to him.

 

But he couldn't manage to fall asleep either. So reluctantly he got out of bed. With a quick scratch of his head, he wandered over to the bathroom. He couldn't hear any sound from the apartment, but Yunho tended to enjoy sleeping in as much as he did, so that didn't necessarily mean that he wasn't there.

 

He took a quick look down at himself, greatly relieved to find that he'd remembered to change into his pyjamas the previous evening. He couldn't be sure if would have been more annoyed if Yunho had changed him or had left him in his clothes, in the event he forgot. Sure it would be embarrassing to have Yunho strip him, but it would have been painful to fall asleep in the pair of jeans he'd insisted on wearing the day before.

 

They would have hurt like hell.

 

He padded softly out to the kitchen, not wanting to wake Yunho up, if he were in his room. But a quick glance at the bench top showed him a crisp white note, telling him Yunho had left. He couldn't be sure how long ago he had left, and there were no details about when he'd get back.

 

Jaejoong couldn't decide if he felt inconvenienced, annoyed or just plain bored. He hadn't thought that Yunho had any friends. He'd certainly never heard of any, nor had he ever seen any. He supposed vaguely that it could be considered unusual, but it had never really been processed in his mind.

 

Maybe he didn't have friends, maybe he had a girlfriend. The thought made Jaejoong frown. He knew that Yunho had his fair share of girlfriends back when they were in school. He wasn't deaf and he certainly wasn't stupid enough not to notice the way the other students treated his best friend. But Yunho had been quite well-liked, surely that was only to be expected.

 

But none of those relationships had last more than a few days. He could never be sure who had broken it off with whom, but from what he heard, Yunho was going out with someone else within a matter of days, if not hours. To have dated as much of the school as others said he had, he must've even dated a few of the boys, though Yunho mentioned them even less often, if they even existed, than he did his girlfriends.

 

Fact was, he'd never mentioned them to Jaejoong, and he'd never allowed those relationships, if they could even be called that to encroach on their time together. Every day the two of them would be together; always having fun, and doing whatever they wanted. They would live in their own little world back then. Yunho never even bothered to tell him about his partners. It had always seemed as though Yunho didn't really care about them.

 

Even so, it had hurt a little. It had seemed as though Yunho was ashamed of him; that he didn't want Jaejoong to meet the people he was dating, as though he would embarrass him in some way. Even if he had decided to introduce them, Jaejoong couldn't say that he would have been very happy.

 

The way they acted around one another, day after day; it was like there was only the two of them in the universe. To be introduced to someone Yunho was dating would steal that from him. It'd make sure that Jaejoong couldn't delude himself into thinking he was the only person Yunho saw; the only one he wanted.

 

His thoughts soured at the thought that Yunho might have been going out to meet someone; once again keeping secrets about his love life from Jaejoong. He curled up on the lounge, angrily turning on the TV to try and drown out his thoughts, as he prepared himself to accept his day of loneliness.

 

- -

 

Yunho managed to make it to the cafe right on time. He saw the upright back of his brother, still seated at a table, and he grinned as he entered the place. There was an unattended coffee in the seat across from him. He had clearly been waiting for him, but there was a quiet confidence exuding from his form. He didn't turn to observe the door, anxiously or impatiently awaiting the arrival of his guest.

 

He could very happily have spent the entire time by himself; in some ways, a stranger could be mistaken enough to believe that he might have been happier if whoever he was waiting for didn't show up.

 

But they didn't know Changmin.

 

He clapped his brother on the shoulder good naturedly as he passed him, heading for his chair, a wide grin being sent to him, as Yunho sat down. Changmin sent his brother a small smile, as he waited for his older brother to settle into his seat.

 

The two of them must have looked an interesting pair to any observers. Changmin always sat with his back straight, and his legs crossed. He looked like the perfect, cultivated gentleman. While Yunho slouched back, relaxed, his legs spread thoughtlessly though not very far. He looked like a happy-go-lucky twenty something, perhaps even a teenager.

 

“You're almost on time.” Changmin commented mildly, eyes quickly flashing to the clock nearby to check whether or not his older brother was actually on time for a change. Yunho shrugged sheepishly, “I know, sorry. I had to write a note for Jaejoong.”

 

Something flickered in Changmin's eye at the name; recognition. Of course, Changmin had met Jaejoong. He had been madly in love with his cooking, in his youth, and had seemed to take to the older boy quite readily. But Yunho wasn't sure if Changmin was recalling those bygone days, when he recognised the name.

 

“I see. So it is true then.” he stated. There was no affectation one way or the other in his tone, as he drew his cup to his lips, to take a quick sip. Yunho didn't have to ask for Changmin to continue his words, sending his older brother a bemused smile, “Mother has been raving about some boy called Jaejoong ever since Seohyun came to visit you.”

 

“I thought she might have been. Sorry.” Yunho apologised, unable to keep a small, contrite smile on his lips. No matter what they were talking about, he was always happy when he got to see his brother. No amount of guilt would detract from that.

 

Changmin waved the words off, sending his brother an intrigued look. “What exactly did you do?” when Yunho took the first sip of his drink. He was glad that Changmin knew his order, and had expected him to be at least a little late, clearly, given how warm the drink still was. “I got frustrated with her talking about Seohyun all the time, so I very casually informed her that I was seeing Jaejoong.” Yunho informed his brother, slyly.

 

“Translation, you blurted it out randomly.” Changmin stated, biting his lip, amusedly. Yunho tried to look miffed at the comment, but the way his eyes darted about a little, indicated his guilt in an instant. Changmin sighed, “So, are you seeing this Jaejoong guy?”

 

“No.” Yunho informed him morosely. How he wished he was though. Changmin had a thoughtful look on his face for a moment, intriguing Yunho. Changmin was a very thoughtful person, so one never really knew the thoughts that were running through his head. Well, no one except Yunho, of course. He would always explain every thought with a word or a look from Yunho.

 

“Jaejoong? Wasn't he that boy you were friends with back in high school? The guy you were madly in love with? That boy with the awkward grin? He was kind of small, with cute, fluffy hair?” Changmin queried. Yunho laughed a little, “Yes, it's the same guy, but I'm surprised that's what you remember about him. I would have thought you'd have remembered his cooking.”

 

“Oh yes, his food was beautiful back then.... Is he as attractive as he was back then?” Changmin enquired good naturedly. Yunho sent his younger brother an amused look, “What? So I've never been attracted to a guy before, that doesn't mean I can't acknowledge beauty wherever it resides.”

 

“You have never been attracted to anything before...except food...” Yunho snickered, but he knew it wouldn't bother him. Nobody could get to Changmin. Especially not his beloved older brother, Yunho. He wasn't even sure that it was physically possible for Yunho to annoy his mature, younger brother. One look told him that Changmin's question still stood, and he slumped forward onto the table childishly.

 

“He's even better looking than he was before. His cooking has stayed excellent, he's the same kid he was back then, but God has he gotten more attractive since then... He looks... Amazing; he's so y you literally could die.” Yunho gushed.

 

Changmin observed his brother's melodramatic display with amusement. He'd known for years that Yunho was madly in love with that gawky, little boy. The one who was always doing stuff for him, always trailing behind him. In some ways, he'd acted kind of like Changmin. But one look at Jaejoong told him how different they were. Jaejoong was way more immature than he was, which was good he supposed. His brother was more than mature enough; he didn't need someone serious and mature, he needed someone childish and spontaneous and fun. That had always been the vibe he'd gotten from the skittish teenager, after he got used to Changmin's presence, and felt like he could be himself around him.

 

The two of them were actually really well suited to one another.

 

“You know mother wants me to scope the two of you out. She's worried you're actually serious about this.” Changmin informed him idly, as he brought his cup to his lips.

 

“What about the relationship or about me being gay?” Yunho queried snidely. He didn't mean to come across as rude, and for years he'd been waiting for his mother to start seeing things this way. For his mother to start thinking that he was being serious. But that's the point. The fact that she'd thought he was pretending or deluded or mistaken or whatever for years irritated him.

 

Changmin shook his head slightly, an amused look on his features as he swallowed the sip of coffee. “About being gay. The moment she accepts that, she'd believe you were dating Jaejoong in a heartbeat. She didn't miss the loyalty you showed to him for all those years. Or how defensive of him you get.” he commented with a smile, “But I wish you would stop lying. You're not fooling me. You're not gay.”

 

Yunho smiled a little. “If mother can't get her head around what gay means, there's no way in hell I'm introducing her to the idea of biual. It'd blow her freaking mind, and simultaneously blow any chances I have of avoiding Seohyun for the rest of my life.”

 

“Yes, but in order to do it, you're only acknowledging one half of who you are. That's not healthy. What if the other part of you shrivels up and dies, or becomes all deformed or something because you're the life out of it?” Changmin questioned.

 

“Ew.” Yunho snickered into his cup. “You need to stop watching all those medical programs. Your metaphors are bad enough without them, but now you're just getting to sound a nerdy sort of sad.” he laughed.

 

Changmin pouted, but the look didn't suit him. He seemed to realise that about the same time that Yunho did, and he let it drop. He was much too mature to be able to successfully pull off the look.

 

“So what are you going to tell her, when she asks?” Yunho enquired mildly. You could never be sure if Changmin was going to decide to be honest or not. He was about 98% sure his brother would help cover for him, but perhaps he was expecting too much from his younger brother. Sure Changmin kind of worshipped him, but that didn't necessarily mean that he would participate in Yunho's little scheme. Everything to do with their parents had always been Yunho's business.

 

“Why nothing but the truth of course. That I saw the two of you together, and you couldn't keep your hands off of one another.” Changmin informed him cheekily.

 

Yunho quirked an eyebrow at the comment. “You didn't even know who Jaejoong was at the start of our conversation. And, not that I mind or anything, but why are you going to tell her we're all over each other? She's your mother too, you know? Saying stuff like that is just weird!”

 

“Hey, I knew who he was! I just couldn't put a face to the name for a little while, that's all.” Changmin chided, “Because I think it'll be heaps of fun. I've got to get my laughs in while I can; haven't you heard? I'm getting older, soon I'll be moving out of home. And the look on her face when I tell her that is going to be priceless.”

 

The pair drifted into a momentary silence after the comment. More than likely both trying to imagine what their mother would look like when Changmin said those words to her. But Changmin disturbed the silence, no traceable amount of compassion as he informed his older brother “You know she's insisting that you two have to come up for lunch in the next few weeks.”

 

Yunho didn't comment at first, his eyes raised to meet his brother's across the table. He didn't seem the slightest bit surprised by the news. “I gathered as much. I'll let Jaejoong know. I'll text you when we're going to come up, okay?”

 

Changmin nodded. “But if I were you I wouldn't be surprised if Mrs Park is there too.” he informed his older brother, regarding him curiously. For years, his brother had seemed uncomfortable whenever their parent's friend came around.

 

As expected there was a bit of a shudder coursing around his shoulders at the comment. Yunho looked very displeased at the thought, though the exact emotion that caused that negative vibe was unidentifiable from his features. “Of course not. She's always there when I decide to come back.”

 

He stared out the window, momentarily, his face still indicating dark thoughts coursing through his mind. “That's why I don't go home anymore.”