Chapter 26

Putting Us Back Together

“I just don't understand what you're doing here is all.” Yunho whispered, to Jaejoong who had joined him in the stacks on the 7th floor. For reasons he could no longer remember he'd elected to do his major essay for the subject on representations of women in literature. He'd taken a gender studies class or two in his first year, like every good, well rounded Arts student who had no idea what they were going to major in. With that background, the essay topic had seemed like an easy way to a good grade. Except now he was stuck in the library's Chinese literature section, trying to find texts that he could analyse.

 

He'd been stunned when Jaejoong had come up, managing to find him through some sort of uncanny telepathy he didn't want to know existed.

 

Actually, he'd texted Yunho and asked what floor he was on, and had just peeked in every row until he found the younger man. By the time he'd reached him, Jaejoong was obviously very worked up, just itching to tell Yunho all about his confrontation with his little girlfriend, much to the chagrin of the nerdy people attempting to study at the desks along the back wall of the stacks.

 

“Because, I'm never going back home by myself ever again. Not after that train ride last week.” Jaejoong informed him irately, barely managing to keep his voice hushed with how emotional he was feeling; he felt so charged. He wanted to be as loud as he pleased; he wanted to scream about everything that had happened to piss him off.

 

More than that, he wanted Seohyun's whining voice saying “Yunho isn't gay!” to get out of his head. He didn't need to hear it, as his own personal mantra. He already knew it, but the words taunted him every second the two weren't speaking.

 

“You never did explain what happened.” Yunho told the other softly, as he gently flicked from one page to another in the tiny book he'd picked up from the shelf. It was apparently a novel, and it was well under a hundred years old, but the pages were so yellowed, that it just looked too delicate between his much larger fingers.

 

“Ugh, please don't remind me of it. I've been trying to block it from my memory ever since it happened.” Jaejoong began, but the moment he finished, that mantra returned, and he pushed on, eager to continue venting to his friend, “So I sit down, minding my own business. I swear, I didn't even so much as look at the guy and he starts jabbering on and on to me. Asking me all sorts of about what I'm into. I tried giving polite but disinterested answers, but then he wants to know how old I am, where I live, if I'm dating someone, where I'm planning on getting off, ugh. It seriously creeped me out. He wasn't exactly scary but he just made me feel so uncomfortable, I made up some excuse about why I was getting off at the next stop. There was no way I was going to put up with that for the rest of the trip.”

 

“So instead you decide to race around to the other end of the carriage and cling onto me for dear life?” Yunho enquired, with a smile, though his focus remained on the page before him. He'd spent longer looking at this one than any of the others. It seemed as though this was going to be the one that he was going to choose to examine. Now he just needed something to contrast it with.

 

“Hey that wasn't my fault! There were so many people trying to push their way into the train, I didn't think I was going to make it in at all! Then they kept pushing me from behind. If I didn't grab hold of you they would have crushed me!” he exclaimed, earning more than one disapproving glare in return.

 

Yunho glared back at them over Jaejoong's shoulder, on his behalf, scaring the nerdy students back into own worlds; staring at their textbooks.

 

The conversation lulled between them for a moment, while Yunho flipped through a few more books, trying to find a trace of something that Jaejoong probably wouldn't be able to recognise if he tried. But then there had always been something of a mad genius streak about Yunho when it came to this sort of thing; he was definitely an Arts student at heart.

 

“Well, I guess I'm about done here.” Yunho told the other boy, but his gaze lingered on the stacks even as the words left his lips, and he made no move to leave. Jaejoong just stared at the other boy, amused. He didn't think anyone else had ever gotten the privilege of seeing Yunho behave like this, and the intimate feel to the whole scene seemed to stun his mental 'Seohyun' voice into silence.

 

Yunho's eyes left the shelves to settle on Jaejoong's form for a moment while he enquired “What about you? Aren't you going to get your books for the essay now as well?” Jaejoong shook his head, disinterestedly. “Unfortunately no. I still have another assessment task for maths before that essay. I haven't looked at the catalogue yet, and even if I did get some books now, I wouldn't even be able to look at them until next week anyway.” he told the other with a sigh.

 

Yunho probably wouldn't be interested to hear about his run in with Seohyun anyway. Not that he could really bring himself to repeat what they'd argued about. Somehow it felt like if he revealed that their argument had been about whether or not Yunho was gay, it would solidify the fact that he wasn't. It felt like, as long as Yunho didn't know everyone knew he was straight, then there still a place for Jaejoong in his life.