Chapter 16

Putting Us Back Together

A/N: Ah life is getting so tough these days... I have an essay due two days from now, and I now have 3 research essays I've got to work in around all my normal homework...sigh...sometimes life really ...I've already had to give up some of my fanfiction time for reading... Sigh, how are everyone else's studies going? Enjoy the chapter....It's really short but my best friend is adamant this is one of her favourite scenes, and giving it it's own chapter will hopefully make it more dramatic....After what Yoochun said to Yunho in the last chapter, I'm hopeful that you'll enjoy this scene enough to forgive me for it's shortness.....Sorry...Next chapter will be up tomorrow, though I make no guarantees about the time...Tuesdays are always kind of long....

- -

Jaejoong wasn't sure what Yoochun had said to Yunho, but whatever it was must've been bad. He'd been hoping that after that first day, if he just left Yunho to his own devices, he'd soon sort himself out. But for the last few days he always looked the same. He wasn't smiling or laughing; he wasn't even talking. He didn't follow Jaejoong around to his classes anymore, and because Jaejoong had never thought to ask before, he couldn't follow Yunho around to his instead.

 

It was as though his encounter with Yoochun had stolen something from him. His eyes were always clouded; dreamy. Jaejoong tried cooking food, but still, some part of his mind was gone. When he looked in those eyes he didn't see the Yunho he knew; the one he was friends with. It was like looking at a stranger. There was no warmth of recognition glowing within their depths only nameless acknowledgement.

 

Whenever he tried to demand answers from Yunho, it was like talking to a stone wall. He never answered, or if he did he would never say anything important. If Jaejoong had tried to hit him, Yunho probably wouldn't fight him. He'd just stand there and take whatever Jaejoong dished out, and that thought only made Jaejoong want to hit him more. He wanted Yunho to fight him; to resist him. He wanted to be beaten, like Yunho always did to him. That was the only way to get anything out of a physical altercation; without it, the whole struggle was meaningless. If it could still even be called one.

 

Instead, Jaejoong decided to take his anger out on a far more approachable target.

 

He easily found Yoochun hanging out by a coffee cart on the main street of the university. It was an area that got a lot of foot traffic, but which Yoochun had always claimed help keep the darkness at bay. He'd always been that edgy sort of pained artist type of person. As per usual there he was, sitting alone, though thankfully out of sight, in an small enclave formed by the two buildings the place was situated between.

 

He didn't see Jaejoong approaching him, and he certainly didn't see the blow. It was a simple shove, designed to inconvenience rather than to hurt. He made sure to shove the arm, Yoochun was using to hold his double latte with skim milk and a caramel twist, all over himself. That he managed to get it on his shoes as well as his jeans just happened to be a bonus.

 

Yoochun jumped up from his seat in both shock and annoyance, turning on the person that dared to mess with his coffee. That's when Jaejoong struck. It was a fairly hard blow to the stomach, angled slightly upwards, knocking the wind out of Yoochun, before he could do anything. He wished that he could punch Yoochun straight in the face, and mess up his pretty boy image, but he'd heard that doing so would break his hand. He wasn't about to risk it.

 

“What the did you say to my boyfriend?” Jaejoong demanded loudly, not caring who heard what he said. He was angry and he wanted answers. Yoochun had somehow screwed everything up, and when he found out how, he'd be able to fix everything up between him and Yunho and make things like they were before.

 

Yoochun petulantly refused to answer him at first, but another, harder blow to his side, was more than enough to convince him to speak. Jaejoong reckoned, another blow like that and he'd probably end up puking all over he place. No wonder he gave in so easily. Yoochun did not do public vomiting.

 

“Your 'boyfriend' as you put it, is going to kill me for speaking to you, you know that?” he sighed, wincing as he did so. He wouldn't groan or whimper or cry, but he was human; he did feel pain, and he couldn't keep that fact completely to himself.

 

Jaejoong's arms were crossed, waiting impatiently. He decided if Yoochun didn't keep speaking within the next 5 seconds, he'd hit him again. “I didn't say anything in particular to him. Just told him to look out for you; to do what's best for you.” Yoochun stated.

 

“You didn't have to say that to him. Yunho always looks out for me. Unlike you.” Jaejoong answered him, angrily. He was sure that Yoochun wasn't being entirely accurate with him. The boy had a propensity for telling half-truths, and so it was impossible to tell when he was lying and when he was not. Almost every word out of his mouth walked the line between the two.

 

“There's more.” he stated, after a moment. It was a bit of a gamble, he knew. He had no idea whether or not there was any more to the whole thing or not, but he was sure that if he could bluff his way through it, maybe he'd get that little bit extra he needed to know.

 

Yoochun looked reluctant to answer for a moment, before confessing, seemingly begrudgingly “Well, perhaps I may also have mentioned the fact of why we stopped being friends to him, and pointed out how soon the two of you started dating after that. Maybe he thought something more about the two comments.” he finished, displeased.

 

He really wanted Jaejoong to go away. He could feel his lukewarm coffee drying on his clothes, and now he needed another coffee. Not to mention the fact that he was in pain, and that every moment that Jaejoong remained, was one where he risked more violence.

 

Jaejoong seemed to nod at this thoughtfully, walking away without another word. If that were the case maybe he was worried about their ruse of being together? Maybe his mother had contacted him again about the matter? Whatever the matter, Jaejoong was sure he could sort something out between them.