Chapter 40

Putting Us Back Together

A:N/ Ah thanks for the concern, I took the day off today to get some much needed sleep, and I feel much better now, although my throat is still a bit sore, so I think I'll be alright! Enjoy the chapter!

- -

The two boys were all smiles as they greeted Changmin at the door. Jaejoong was left to gaze around the lounge room, re-familiarising himself with the space while the two brothers whispered quick words to one another.

 

“I got my results back. I won't find out if I got into your university yet, but let's just say, I'm feeling extraordinarily confident that everything is going to be okay.” Changmin told his brother excitedly.

 

“Really? Oh thank god, I'd been so nervous about how things were going to work out.” Yunho explained, with a breathy laugh.

 

“Just a few more weeks, and you can put everything behind you. It'll all be over.” Changmin agreed, eyeing his older brother with both encouragement and concern. Ever since he'd found out the price his safety was costing his brother he'd been worried; every day felt like an eternity to him. He just wanted all of this to be over with, so that his brother could be happy again. He'd heard his brother's anxiety over Jaejoong as of late, and their awkward relationship with one another. Knowing that Yunho's relationship with Mrs Park was probably the cause of it, made him feel guilty.

 

His gaze drifted in the older boy's direction, “How's he handling it?” he inquired, concerned that this evening might be too much for him, given how delicate he'd been as of late, according to his brother. He might not remember much about him, but if his beloved older brother was in love with the guy, Changmin could only regard him warmly; happy with the thought of gaining another member to their family, one that would definitely please his brother.

 

“He doesn't know. I haven't told him any of this.” Yunho informed his brother softly. Changmin's eyes widened in shock at his brother's thoughtlessness, “Are you serious? Yunho he deserves to know what's been going on, who knows what he's been thinking all this time.” he pressed, incredulous at his brother's continued persistence regarding the secrecy of the arrangements.

 

“I know, but it won't change anything. I'm not good enough for him; whether I'm still involved with her or not.” he told his brother, his tone telling him that as much as it pained him to say it, he'd already decided on this answer. Changmin couldn't believe his brother was being so obstinate when it came to his love, when it meant he'd let him go.

 

“She's going to be here tonight, you know” Changmin continued, unable to believe that he would be prepared to put Jaejoong through this evening, without bothering to explain anything. How did he end up being born the older brother, when he was so thoughtless?

 

He stalked over to Jaejoong, Yunho following on his heels, a few paces behind. Jaejoong looked up at him, a playful grin settling onto his features. “Changmin, it's so good to see you again.” he told the other with a wink. He could definitely feel a warmth coming from Jaejoong, that he wasn't used to from anyone but his brother. He hoped Jaejoong would still be part of the home, he would soon be moving into, by the time he arrived. His departure was not only a possibility, but perhaps likely given how his brother was acting towards the other boy.

 

“I know, it's been too long.” he returned, easily enveloping the older man in a familiar hug. This might be the first time he'd met Jaejoong since he was a boy, but it would have seemed more awkward if he had been reluctant to hug him. And despite the lapse of time, the hug did feel familiar; as though he'd seen him only a few weeks ago, even a day or two before.

 

They moved into the dining room, joining Yunho's mother and her friend, Mrs Park. The presence of the other woman sent a jolt through Jaejoong's body, but he kept his features blank, as though this were the first time he'd ever met the woman.

 

“You'll have to forgive my husband's absence, Jaejoong, he had to work late.” The boys' mother informed him tersely, seemingly in a bit of a hurry to get the meal over and done with. No one was really sure what she'd been hoping to see between the two boys, when she'd invited them to dinner, and insisted they attend.

 

Especially considering her absolute refusal to so much as look at the two of them since they'd arrived. Yunho could only gather that she'd been hoping Yunho would be miraculously converted just by being in the familiar surroundings. Clearly she didn't understand that he felt about as welcome here as he had at the hotel; please, stay, if you'll conform to all of our rules, while we take you for all your worth, and spit you out again when you've served your purpose.

 

He knew she was uncomfortable, with the way he and Jaejoong kept looking at one another, when she spoke, eyes carefully averted, in the direction of her plate, “I just don't see what's so bad about Seohyun. She seems like such a lovely girl, I don't know why you won't give her a chance.”

 

Jaejoong stopped, having been in the middle of bringing a bite of his food to his lips. He paused, chucking the two boys either side of him a look, screaming, 'did she really say that, or am I hearing voices?' arm frozen in mid-air. Changmin had to bite his lip, to try and keep his smile to himself; Jaejoong could look so cute when he wasn't trying to.

 

Yunho for his part didn't seem the least bit surprised that his mother would make such a comment, but he still sounded exasperated, as he replied, “Mother, my boyfriend is right here.” She halted, but she didn't seem particularly guilty as she looked directly at Jaejoong, who by this stage was chewing thoughtfully, “Yes I suppose he is.”

 

“I don't think Seohyun is as good as you're making out, dear. I hear she has a boyfriend now.” Mrs Park interjected, as though she were trying to diffuse the situation. Yunho's mother looked crestfallen, commenting wistfully, “Oh the best girls go so quickly. You took too long Yunho, now you've missed your chance.”

 

“I'm devastated.” Yunho replied monotonously, before returning to his food. He knew finishing quickly wouldn't make the meal go by any faster, and yet he could find nothing else he could do instead. Thankfully everyone else seemed to be feeling as uncomfortable as he was, right now. “Now that you mention it, I haven't seen or heard from her in a while.” Yunho added thoughtfully, finding the stilted conversation preferable to the awkward silence that formed in its absence.

 

“I think she realised it was a waste of time, pursuing you after her little encounter with Jaejoong, here.” Mrs Park responded. Jaejoong's cheeks flared hotly, at the mention of that fight. He'd never bothered to explain about that to Yunho earlier, but the lack of surprise in his, or anyone else's eyes told him they had all heard about it. He felt ashamed of himself; he'd been taught better than that. God only knew what these people would think of him; already thought of him for that.

 

“Don't worry about it, Jaejoong. From what I hear, she started it.” Changmin chimed in, giving his new friend a light pat, on the shoulder. Jaejoong gave him a sheepish smile in return, but he was grateful all the same. He had thought he would have no one here this evening, but he'd gladly call Changmin a friend, from here on out, for taking his side.

 

Especially when the action was followed up by a reproachful glare from his mother. Wordlessly, he dropped his arm, but he could see in the other boy's eyes that his feelings hadn't changed, just because he'd gotten in trouble. All things considered, it was going relatively okay. He felt bad thinking that, considering that the adults' entertainment so far had involved picking on Yunho.

 

Well that was unfair. His mother seemed to view picking on Yunho to be the evening's entertainment. The other woman, that Hiyeon woman from the club, who was apparently his mother's best friend didn't tend to say anything against him. She looked nice enough, but he couldn't help but wonder if there was something he was missing, given how disinterested both women seemed to be in Changmin.

 

The meal was clearly drawing to a close, and, not sure what was going to happen, Jaejoong decided a momentary escape might be a good idea. He excused himself to go to the bathroom, knowing that it'd take him a while to both find it and find his way back to the group in the dining room. That should give them plenty of time to say anything they needed to, so that he and Yunho would be able to leave afterwards.

 

- -

 

The moment after Jaejoong left the room, his mother had stalked off, giving her son and guests a leisurely wave.

 

They'd clearly been dismissed.

 

Well, at least Yunho and the currently absent Jaejoong had been. Changmin would be expected to retreat to his room, while Mrs Park would entertain herself with seeing both boys off, before joining her friend elsewhere in the house.

 

They'd never figured out what those two women did once they'd dismissed everyone else. Not that either of them really cared to find out now.

 

Under the circumstances, there was no misunderstanding the look Mrs Park sent Yunho, as she made her way out of the dining room, and upstairs. Yunho knew he was expected to follow her. He turned to his brother, whose look seemed to be pleading with him not to go, even as he knew his older brother had no choice but to obey. “Just a little bit longer, Minnie. Look after Jaejoong for me, alright? I'll come back as soon as I can.” he told his brother, his voice trying to sound confident, even as his heart broke beneath those words.

 

Tears came to Changmin's eyes, but he blinked them back furiously, even though he was now completely alone. It just wasn't fair that this sort of thing had to happen to his brother. Why couldn't he take care of himself? Why did Mrs Park have to have the power to take him away from his brother on a whim? Why did she have to do this here? Why now?

 

He heard the door close softly as his brother followed after Mrs Park, and he knew they'd gone upstairs. He just knew that Jaejoong wouldn't come downstairs immediately. His brother had entrusted Jaejoong's care to him, until he returned, so he had to go care for the boy his brother loved as best as he could.

 

Why did everything have to be so complicated?