008

The Stealer

 

 

 

“It’s ridiculous, they require us to be here for two whole days, and we do nothing.” Kevin murmured as he tossed his bag to the seat beside Chaerin, the girl grinned at him.

“But still, it’s fun.”

“Fun?” Chanhee sighed as he joined them, he took the desk in front of them, he glanced at the familiar bag across him.

“Changmin’s already here? I thought I saw him downstairs still.” He murmured to himself, he recognized Juyeon’s bag besides Chucky’s smiling face, he shuddered and turned away.

Juyeon walked in, already dressed in his training pants and varsity jacket. Some of their female classmates glanced at him as he passed by, he plopped down and blinked at his friends.

“You have a game today?”

“No, just a training game. Coach has set teams for us, you guys should come by and watch.”

“Will it be for the whole week? Because, I didn’t ask driver Hyun if he could come by today.” Chaerin frowned.

“Look at this pampered princess, don’t worry, I’ll drop you off at home.” Chanhee chortled, Chaerin beamed at him. They saw Changmin walk in, Juyeon waved him over, but the male sauntered over towards Chanhee, dropped his bag on the desk beside him and sat down.

Juyeon’s eyes went to Changmin’s bag, there it was, Chucky. He slowly turned his head to the desk beside him, and the Chucky bag on top of it.

“Changmin-ah, why would~”

“Is the attendance done? Can we go now?” Ahyoung walked in through the door with a frown, she sat down beside Juyeon, and the male slowly turned to face her.

“Oh, it’s you again. But wow, outfit change.” She said with a small yawn as she leaned on the desk, Juyeon tilted his head as he eyed her backpack.

“Stop right there. I see the judgement in your eyes, Chucky is adorable. No point in arguing with me.” She said to him, Chanhee and Kevin sighed at her.

“She’s…She’s really your family.” Juyeon turned to Changmin, the latter gave his cousin a thumbs up.

“Which clubs did you join, new girl?” Chanhee said to her as she settled on her seat.

“That…That one..Juyeon-ah, what was that?” She blinked at him, Juyeon sighed at her before speaking.

“She got..ambushed by one of the girls from the book lovers’ club, they kind of…look up to her because of the whole Gaeun sunbae incident.”

“You got yourself a fan club. I wanna join!” Chaerin chuckled, Ahyoung grinned at the girl, and then Juyeon picked up the paper bag from the floor.

“But, are you guys hungry?” Juyeon said as he took out the containers inside, he noticed how Ahyoung leaned over, recognizing the name of the restaurant.

“What’s that? Oh, sushi.” Kevin grinned as he handed out chopsticks.

“You? You didn’t eat much earlier.” Juyeon faced the girl as she peeked at one of the containers, it had egg rolls.

“Can I have this?” She blinked at him, not noticing how close their faces were to each other.

“Okay, you can have the soup too. Eat up, Gaeun sunbae might want a round two later.” He said to her as he pushed the bowl to her side of the desk.

“Hey, taunting her like that might not be safe for you.” Chaerin murmured, but Juyeon grinned and the group started eating.

“Ahyoung-ah, you like this.” Changmin pass another container to her.

“Can we trade? One egg roll for~”

“Okay, here.” Changmin stood up and put one of mini onigiris on the container. Juyeon leaned back on his seat as his friends chatted while eating.

“Why aren’t you eating, athlete-nim?” Ahyoung’s suddenly went to him.

“I have to play in a bit, I can’t eat heavy food.”

“Should I get you some Pocari Sweat?” She offered with a grin, Juyeon snorted back at her, she chuckled and went back to eating.

“This is good, this is actually one of my favorite Japanese restaurants. You like their food too?”

Juyeon nodded, he grabbed his water tumbler and pushed it towards her.

“Eat up.”

 

 

 

Ahyoung leaned back on her seat and stretched her arms, she had just finished organizing her notes for school and, now she was currently updating her schedule on her laptop. And it was tiring. Her back hurt.

She stared at the screen, her mother had called earlier just to check in. She asked about school and if she’s already adjusted. Ahyoung had to fib a bit, but she did make friends. Changmin and his group of friends made adjusting less awkward for her. Especially Chaerin, Ahyoung was amazed by how positive she is, and her being class president was something too.

Ahyoung glanced at her bed, she had splayed her textbooks over it. She wanted to browse through their lessons before class really started, the girl stood up and was about to gather her things when her phone started to ring.

She grabbed her books and iPad, she got the phone and answered without checking.

“Hello?” She said, it was quiet for a bit. She paused and stared at the screen, the number wasn’t registered.

“He~”

“Why did you transfer? Do you really hate me that much?”

Ahyoung stilled, and she put the phone down. Her forehead creased and she walked out of her room, the girl made her way by the pool and set her things down on one of the lounge chairs.

She let out a shaky breath before sitting down.

“Ahyoung-ah,”

She jumped at her brother’s voice, Hyunjae halted, he was looking at her oddly.

“Y—Yes, oppa.” She faced him, the older male was in his swimming shorts, his hair was damp.

“Should we have dinner first?”

“That sounds okay, did you swim?”

Hyunjae nodded back before grabbing his robe. Ahyoung exhaled and pulled her textbooks closer to her.

“Earlier…I~”

“How long has she been coming over?” She spoke, Hyunjae pressed his lips together before sitting beside his sister.

“For a couple months now, sometimes she makes lunch on weekends, or, she..makes us watch movies and shows together.”

“How could you not give me a heads up?” She sighed at him, Hyunjae pressed his lips together before speaking.

“I didn’t want you to leave, Young. I like that we’re finally back under one roof again.”

“You could have stayed with eomma.”

“Hey, you came up with this.” Hyunjae said with a small smile, Ahyoung rolled her eyes in reply and stretched her legs before her.

“I’m sorry, I know I should have told you. I…was just worried, abeoji too..He couldn’t sleep well after eomma told him that you decided to transfer schools and that you’d live here. He was very excited.”

“Are you here to tell to cut him some slack? Because I haven’t even done anything.”

“Yet.” Hyunjae pointed out, Ahyoung pressed her lips together.

“I understand, Young. I’m uncomfortable too, but if you give her a chance, she’s actually~”

“She’s actually the person our father was parading around Seoul while their divorce was still in talks. In talks. Not finalized.” She finished, Hyunjae stopped talking.

“Oppa, I will always uncomfortable around her. I’m sorry, but I saw what I saw.”

“Okay, I understand. Shall we get dinner now? How about we drive out?”

“No, I’m too lazy to change. Let’s just order.”

Hyunjae grinned and pulled her up from the seat.

“But, how’s school? I see you’ve made friends.”

“Yes, Changmin’s friends are cool. They get me. I get them.” She shrugged at him.

“Well, seeing as how they can survive Changmin, they’ll survive you too.”

 

 

 

“You made more of those granola bars?” Hyunjae asked as the killed the BMW’s engine, the girl slid down and nodded.

“I can make more if you don’t get in my nerves.”

“Aboeji likes them too.”

“Stop it already.”

Hyunjae grinned and the two siblings started walking, a black Mercedes Benz G Wagon pulled over.

“I thought you wanted that car.” Ahyoung commented.

“Yes, but I thought it over and maybe driving around in that truck wont be easy for college.”

“True, but it’s..Oh, Chaerin-ah!” Ahyoung raised her hand as she saw the girl slide down from the frontseat, Juyeon appeared from the driver’s side.

“Juyeon-ah, mayday.” He heard Chaerin as the girl waddled over to his side, the male paused.

“It’s Ahyoung. And brother.”

“What?” Juyeon muttered back as he grabbed his bag from the backseat, he sighed when he almost bumped to Chaerin, the girl was standing too close to him.

“Ahyoung. Brother.”

“What~”

“Hey guys,” Ahyoung was approaching them with her brother in tow, Juyeon nodded at the girl.

“So, with regards to Changmin throwing a small fit yesterday, this is my brother.” Ahyoung began and her brother nodded at the male.

“We’re siblings. Like, siblings siblings.” She said.

“I get it, Ahyoung.” Juyeon humored, Hyunjae chuckled at his sister.

“And, oppa, this is~” Ahyoung halted, the girl blinked and looked around, Hyunjae grew confused.

“What’s wrong?”

“Chaerin..was right here.” She blurted out, Juyeon pressed his lips together, hiding his smile.

“Juyeon, did you put her in your bag?” Ahyoung muttered, but the male turned for the steps and she followed his gaze, Chaerin was already at the top part.

“Wow, she’s fast. Did she not see me?”

“I’m not sure.” Juyeon replied, Hyunjae nudged the girl.

“I’ll get going. It’s good to see you, Juyeon-ah.” Hyunjae said to him, Ahyoung was about to react but Juyeon gestured for her to walk with him.

“Why is your bag…so big?” Ahyoung asked as they went up the steps.

“I have another game.”

“Like the one yesterday?”

“Yes. But, my bag is normal. Yours isn’t.”

“Like I said, Chucky is adorable.” She warned him, she frowned as she looked down, some of the steps were slippery. Juyeon felt the girl pinch the fabric of his sleeve again as they moved up.

“Right, did you get the notification about Calcu~”

“Juyeon-ah, Ahyoung, hi!” Hongjoong cheerfully said as he walked up to them and placed himself beside Ahyoung.

“Our team is going to crush you later.” He claimed while smirking at Juyeon.

“Why? Are you any good?” Ahyoung suddenly spoke, she grimaced slightly, the other male was standing too close, she could smell his overpowering cologne.

“Better than your friend here.” Hongjoong winked at her, Juyeon saw the horror in the girl’s eyes.

“How about you watch us later? I’ll make it worth your while,” He wiggled his brows at her as he leaned closer, their shoulders already touching.

Ahyoung flinched and moved to her side, she paused when she collied against Juyeon. The other male gave her a small nod.

“I…I’m not really the…type to watch basketball.”

“Why? They said you watch the swim team train.”

“Brother. Lee Hyunjae. Brother.” She quickly said, Hongjoong slowly blinked at her, as if processing what she had just said. Juyeon discreetly tugged on the strap of her backpack and gently pulled the girl to his left, so now he was in the middle of the two.

“Ah, so you and Hyunjae sunbae are siblings.” Hongjoong stretched his neck so that he could see her, Juyeon glanced at the girl again, she had her arms crossed while rolling her eyes.

“The last time I checked, yes.”

“Oh, wow, I didn’t~”

Ahyoung went ahead and quickly followed the stream of students going into their classroom, Juyeon looked at his friend.

“She’s a tough one, huh? I likey.” Hongjoong his lips, Juyeon grimaced and wordlessly went inside the room as well.

He walked towards his seat and found Ahyoung chatting with Kevin.

“Your friend.” She said as he took his seat beside her.

“I know.”

“You do? I bet you don’t.” Ahyoung said, Juyeon looked at her and smiled.

“Surprise me, Hyunjae’s sister.”

“His cologne can kill one’s sense of smell.”

Kevin guffawed and shook his head.

“You should smell him after practice.” Juyeon replied as he picked up backpack from the floor and hung it on the back of her chair.

“Ew, no.”

 

 

 

“So, back in your old school, you also..cut class?” Chaerin said as they crossed the campus grounds, they were dismissed early, and the two girls were together.

“Not daily. I know you guys assumed that I did every day. But sometimes…don’t you just want to escape? Even for a few hours?”

“I kind of prefer not getting yelled at, or not having skinned knees. Those walls can be very high.”

Ahyoung laughed and hooked arms with her.

“I only got hurt once. And it was kind of worth it. I went with Be~, I mean, I went with my friends to watch this new Marvel film. It was perfect, because there weren’t a lot of people at the cinema.”

“Still too risky for me.” Chaerin said in reply, Ahyoung grinned and noticed the bag she was holding.

“Juyeon left this?” She asked.

“Yes, do you mind if we take it to the gym? His phone and school stuff are here.”

“Let’s go.” Ahyoung nodded as they headed for the dome shaped building together.

“Does the team play against other schools too?”

“Yes, we’re pretty good. Last year we reached championships.” Chaerin informed as they entered the building, Ahyoung was looking around as she followed her into one of the courts.

She heard the familiar loud screeching of shoes against the matted floor, she grimaced to herself and willed herself to look.

Ahyoung puffed her cheeks and followed her friend towards the bleachers, she spotted Juyeon playing. Hongjoong was also present.

“Let’s watch for a bit.” Chaerin told her, the girl nodded back and started fidgeting on her seat. Her eyes went around the indoor court, she spotted a few seniors gathered around. She blinked, recognizing one of them. Younghoon turned, as if feeling her gaze, his brows rose upon seeing her. She grinned at him, the older male excused himself from his friends and approached them. Chaerin paused seeing Younghoon joining them.

“You’re a fish, why are you here?” Ahyoung asked as he sat down beside her.

“Some of my friends are watching as well. You?”

“A friend too.” She nodded back and crossed her legs.

“How will you go home? Hyunjae already went home.” He asked while gesturing for her sit straightly, her skirt was hiking up.

“Ahyoung-ah, I have to call home. Excuse me.” Chaerin patted her hand, the girl nodded back and Ahyoung tugged the bag closer to her lap.

“He asked me to call him, or I can just hitch with you.” She said with a small smile while batting her eyes at him, Younghoon chuckled and nodded in reply.

“Okay, we can~”

“Team B wins!” The coach hollered, the court grew noisy as the other students cheered.

“Team B? The green ones?” Ahyoung asked referring to the colors of their shorts.

“Yes,” Younghoon nodded at her, Ahyoung’s eyes went to the players, she saw Juyeon happily chatting with a teammate.

“I have to get this to him, oppa.” She said as she picked up the bag, Younghoon watched as the girl walked down the steps, not noticing the glances she earned.

“Congratulations, athlete-nim.” Ahyoung said as she approached him, Juyeon paused, seeing her with his bag.

“I left this. Thanks.” He blurted out as he took the bag from her.

“Chaerin was here, but she had to make a call or something,” She glanced at the bleachers again, the girl was about to move away from him but Juyeon suddenly yanked her toward him just as one of the balls came flying by.

“Be careful!” One of the players hollered, Ahyoung blinked at him and Juyeon let go of her.

“Watch out.”

“You got your bag, so I’m going to go. Good…game.” She awkwardly said, Juyeon let out a laugh.

“I’ll walk you back to your seat, come on.”

Younghoon leaned back on his seat and watched the two, his brows went up slightly.

Chaerin returned to her seat and she looked around, she spotted Ahyoung and Juyeon talking casually. Her brows rose, most girls weren’t the type to approach her childhood friend like that. She may never understand it, but to females, Juyeon could be a bit intimidating, they say it because of his looks.

But Ahyoung didn’t seem to notice this, in fact, she was comfortable with him.

“Oh, so she finds Juyeon normal.” Chaerin mused to herself as they crossed the court, still talking.

“Yes, you can find out now. He’s right there.” Juyeon said with a chuckle as they went up the steps.

“Shut up, Lee Juyeon!” She hissed at him, Juyeon chuckled and gestured for her to go ahead.

Chaerin grinned at the two.

“They’re going to get along well. My quiet friend got a new friend.” Chaerin mused to herself, not noticing how Younghoon was staring at the two as they approached them. And he probably wasn’t thinking the same.

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++