010

The Stealer

 

 

 

Juyeon watched as Ahyoung wolfed down the ramen, and the onigiri next. His lips curled up as the girl slowly put her chopsticks down after checking the bowl twice.

“Still hungry?” Juyeon spoke, the girl blinked at him, he grinned back at her.

“No, not really. I can share the ice cream.” She said as she opened the plastic packaging and offered him a spoon, the male took it from her.

“How bad was it?” He asked as he took a spoonful, he saw the girl pause briefly.

“Hmm, bad enough that I walked out on dinner. I may..or may not get yelled at, but I’m not sure.” She stated as she took another spoonful of ice cream.

“And, in that spur of the moment decision of yours,” Juyeon leaned back on his seat, the two were outside the convenience mart, enjoying to cool air and clear night sky.

“You decided to leave the house and drove away without your wallet.” He pointed out, Ahyoung rolled her eyes at him.

“I just needed to get away from everything, okay.” She said as she stood up to clean up, Juyeon picked the ice cream’s wrapper and helped her towards the trash bins.

Juyeon glanced at her noticing how she had a frown on her face, but he only nodded, not wanting to press her to talk. The two made their way towards the playground across the street and Ahyoung sat down on one of the swings.

“I don’t…know if Changmin mentioned, but…my parents got divorced a couple of years back.” She softly said, Juyeon nodded and sat down on the empty swing seat beside her.

“I..heard about it.”

“And, I happen to not get along with my father’s girlfriend.” She continued as she let out a small yawn, Juyeon glanced at her.

“You live with your father now?”

“Currently, yes. My mother’s out of town.” She murmured as she examined her palms, Juyeon turned to her again.

“What now?” She sighed at him, Juyeon grinned at the girl.

“I don’t know what else to say, so, want to come and watch my game next weekend?” Juyeon offered, sounding a little helpless.

Ahyoung let out a laugh before nodding back, Juyeon grew confused as he watched her.

“I see, I shouldn’t have dumped all that on you right after our ridiculously unhealthy dinner, but okay, I’ll be there, with pompoms and all.” She replied.

“Your unhealthy dinner, not mine. I was only here for ice cream.” Juyeon playfully replied as he checked the time on his watch.

“And, the ice cream was healthy.” She shot back, Juyeon shrugged back at her. Ahyoung grew quiet and she leaned into her seat, her feet digging into the sand.

“Hey, you should get going. It’s already late.” He said as he gestured for her to stand, Ahyoung sighed and shook her head.

“You can go ahead, I’ll just~”

“Let’s go, Ahyoung-ah. If I leave you here alone, Changmin might come for me. And I don’t want that.” Juyeon urged her as he reached out to tug on the chains of her swing, the girl made a face at him and she slowly stood up.

“I don’t get why people are scared of my cousin.”

“Of course you don’t, you both find Chucky adorable.” He pointed out, Ahyoung glared at him, defensive.

“I’ll walk you to your car.” Juyeon said to her, the girl smiled as she hooked arms with him as they crossed the street again.

“Thanks for dinner, Lee Juyeon.”

“You don’t have to “full name” me.”

“But two syllables can sound boring, Lee Juyeon.” She mused in reply. Juyeon glanced at her briefly and buried his hands in his pocket, not minding her arm around his.

“You also have two syllables to your name, new girl.” He commented as they reached her car.

“See? You also call me that.” She said, the car unlocked as Juyeon opened the driver’s seat door for her.

“Have a good night, Lee Ahyoung.” He smiled before carefully closing the door.

“I’ll kiss Chucky good night for you, if you want.” She offered as the window slid down, Juyeon shooed her away, the girl chuckled and sped off.

 

 

 

Younghoon his lips as they left the neighborhood, Ahyoung had been quiet ever since the got inside his car. The girl had arrived earlier before breakfast, and kind of self-invited herself to dine with them, not that she wasn’t welcome. His parents were delighted to see her and had immediately demanded that she ate with them.

“Ahyoung-ah,”

“Was her beef casserole that good, traitor?” She immediately seethed, Younghoon shut his mouth close, she was staring out the window.

“I was just being polite.”

“No, you liked her food. Ew, get away from me.

“You’re in my car, sweetheart.” Younghoon said, sensing her mood, and he smiled.

“I know, I don’t have a lot of options, do I? It’s either my brother, who will only talk me into being nice, or you, the one who lives nearby.” She muttered darkly, Younghoon let out a small laugh, they were already near the campus.

“You’re still the better cook, sweetheart.”

“Good thing you know.” She pointed out as she turned to face him, Younghoon smiled at her.

“Where did you run off to last night? I was calling you.”

“I had dinner. It was unhealthy, but I loved it. Better than beef casserole.” She pointed out while making a face.

“You’re not going to drop this easily, huh?” Younghoon said as they eased into the Hyundai High’s parking lot, the girl nodded at him.

“Ahyoung-ah, I know things…things aren’t easy at home, but, your father~”

The girl opened the door and quickly slid down, Younghoon shook his head to himself and killed the engine.

“Don’t, oppa. I won’t. And it will never happen.” She said to him as she fixed her bag, Younghoon noticed the bag of granola bars she was holding onto, he smiled and she saw it.

“Also, a no. Sorry.” She said before he could speak, a small pout formed on his lips.

“They’re for someone else.” She explained as the male walked around the Audi, Younghoon slowly nodded back as he stood before her. He fixed the straps of her bag on her shoulders before speaking.

“I’m sorry that dinner was uncomfortable last night. I hate that you left, but I won’t hold it against you.”

“And, you will always be the better cook.” He added with a small assuring smile, Ahyoung pursed her lips, not speaking. Younghoon’s lips curled into a playful smile, he gently pulled the girl to his chest and wrapped his arms around her.

“Please don’t be in a sour mood today.” He said as he leaned his chin on the crown of her head, Ahyoung scoffed and hugged him back.

“I’m in the mood for beef casserole.” She muttered, he laughed and the girl pulled back.

“I’ll see you at lunch. You never sit with us. Baecob misses you.” He said as he got his bag from the car.

“I’ll try to fit you in my schedule.” She winked before heading off, Younghoon nodded and watched as the girl approached Changmin and another friend.

 

 

 

“And, you think if I talk to her…things will change? Your sister?” Changmin eyed his older cousin warily, Hyunjae frowned.

“Hyung, you and I both know that Ahyoung…Ahyoung has never been easy to appease. She..may be unreasonable, at times, yes, but this..this..she has a point on this, hyung.” Changmin pointed out and leaned against the railing, the two cousins were speaking outside one of the classrooms, students were passing by, on the way to classes.

“I know, but halmae wants to see her. You know that, and I hate how she…hasn’t been showing up to family events.”

“And why is that? Who’s the reason?” Changmin rolled his eyes, Hyunjae grimaced, of course, this cousin always took Ahyoung’s side.

“I know, but…it’s not like I can tell abeoji to not bring her. There has to be some sort of neutral ground.”

“And it doesn’t have to be you. Ahyoung says no, hyung, you know what that means.” Changmin shrugged, not noticing Chaerin slowly creeping up behind them.

“I know, her word is law. Nothing changes her opinion once its set.” Hyunjae murmured with a small smile.

“I just wish she’d lighten up, you know. Abeoji and her..they really got along well and I know he misses talking to her.” Hyunjae let out a sigh, his backpack hanging low on one shoulder.

“I don’t think this is something you can..reason out with her, hyung.” Changmin murmured while shaking his head, Hyunjae scrunched his nose, he glanced over the railings and spotted his sister walking with Kevin and Chanhee. Changmin was about to reply when he noticed a shadow just behind him, his eyes narrowed and his lips curled up.

“I know, she left early this morning and~”

“Ji Changmin!” A figure suddenly jumped out as Changmin moved to the side, Hyunjae’s eyes widened and he instinctively reached forward and caught the girl.

“Whoa, I was so frightened. Whoa.” Changmin said flatly as he leaned against the railing again, Chaerin froze, suddenly realizing who was holding onto her.

Hyunjae looked down, his hands still on the girl arm’s.

“Are you okay?” He spoke, he felt the girl tense up and she immediately peeled herself off him, he broke into a smile.

“Y—You, w—why would you move!” She sputtered, keeping her gaze on Changmin, the latter laugh.

“Hyunjae hyung says he’s welcome.” He pointed out, Hyunjae sent the younger male a look.

“You must have twisted your ankle, are you okay?” Hyunjae spoke again, trying to meet her gaze. Changmin’s lips curled up and he wiggled his brows at the girl.

“Y—Yes, sunbae. T—Thanks.” She mumbled, Hyunjae was about to speak but the girl was already walking away from them.

“Your friend?” Hyunjae spoke to Changmin, the younger male nodded back.

“Yes, she gets along with Ahyoung really well too, so, be nice to her.”

“I am always nice, it’s my sister who’s the problem…sometimes.” Hyunjae pointed out, Changmin chuckled and glanced over his shoulder, Chaerin was glaring at him as she stood by their classroom.

“I’ll figure out something about the party, hyung. But, you do know the sure way to get her to come, right?”

“No Ji Seonmi.”

“Exactly.” Changmin mused before turning away from him, Hyunjae puffed his cheeks and his eyes went to his cousin as he approached the girl from earlier. She was in the process of dragging his cousin into the room while Changmin was grinning.

“She’s pretty.” Hyunjae mused to himself before pushing himself off the railing and heading straight to his classroom.

 

 

 

“It can’t be always a surprise quiz, right?” Kevin was frowning as they passed their papers forward, Chaerin let out a sigh and turned to Chanhee.

“How bad?” She asked.

“I don’t even want to talk about it. It wasn't a good surprise.” The male replied and shook his head, her eyes went to Juyeon and Ahyoung. Juyeon was chatting with Changmin while the girl was browsing through her phone, looking bored, as usual.

“I don’t think you should be taking out your phone right away, Ahyoung-ah.” She whispered, Ahyoung looked up and was about to reply when their teacher suddenly spoke.

“Ahyoung-ah?” His tone was cold, the class grew quiet. Ahyoung sat up, and met the teacher’s gaze.

“Yes?”

Juyeon chewed on his lower lip and glanced at the girl, she still has not put her phone down. And ever since first period, he could sense that she wasn’t in the mood.

“Why are you on your phone?”

“I had to check some messages, sir.”

Her classamtes grimaced and looked away, while Changmin looked on, interested.

“Ah, your messages? We just finished a quiz; how will I know if you leaked the questions to the other class? Or, it could be possible that you asked help from my previous classes too.”

“Are you accusing me of cheating?” She replied, her tone even, and her face, unflinching. Juyeon and Kevin exchanged glances, the latter grimaced and looked away.

“Talk to her.” Chanhee mouthed, Juyeon carefully patted the girl’s elbow.

“Given your…previous records from your other school, I wouldn’t be surprised that your grades were manipulated too.” The teacher replied, he smirked at the girl.

“Manipulated? Then, can I be honest, professor?” Ahyoung leaned back on her seat, Kevin and Chanhee froze on their seats.

“Go ahead.” The teacher seemed irritated, and just moments away from sending their friend to detention.

“You like recycling some of your questions. And, some of them you copy from the Internet, you didn’t bother to change some of the variables. So, what’s the point of my leaking it to other students?”

The teacher paled, and students started murmuring amongst each other.

“But, still, no phone during class, y—you~”

“Then you should have said that before accusing of me cheating right away.”

The teacher’s brows rose, he was about to speak but the bell started ringing outside, signaling that it was already the end of the period and, beginning of lunch break.

Ahyoung shrugged at the male and she stood up, the other students started to follow as well.

“You know…she has a point, but at the same time…she’s also..kind of rude.” Kevin murmured as they left their desks, Chaerin was grinning as she walked with Changmin.

“She seems to be in a bad mood.” She commented as Chanhee hopped after them.

“She is. I can sense it,” Chanhee replied as they headed down the steps, Kevin saw Ahyoung already making her way to the cafeteria.

“She’ll be fine, don’t worry. Let’s just hope,” Changmin said as they entered the cafeteria, Chaerin glanced at her,

“No one gets in her nerves today.” He finished just as Juyeon reached the girl.

“What’s wrong?” Juyeon spoke as the queued for food, Ahyoung glanced at him.

“I…Migraine.” She mumbled as she placed a Ziploc bag on his tray, Juyeon’s brows went up.

“Payment for the unhealthy dinner.” Ahyoung said to him as they moved along the line, she reached for one of the sandwiches.

“You like making these, huh?” Juyeon said to her, the girl pursed her lips as her fingers hovered over the juice bottles.

“It’s a quick snack, sometimes I eat them for breakfast.”

“Just this? No rice?” Juyeon frowned as he picked the apple flavor for her, and put the bottle on her tray.

“Yes. What’s that?” She gestured towards the soup that was being served.

“You won’t like that.” Juyeon said as he grabbed some rice and chicken for himself.

“Why? Is it too spicy? Or does it have those green floating things?” She continued as she opened as she picked out a chunk of granola bar and nibbled on it.

“Ahyoung-ah, what’s wrong? You didn’t really have to go and pick fights with our teacher.” He softly said, Ahyoung sighed and waited for him as he asked for some soup.

“He was annoying. And you know I would never cheat. I don’t need to.” She pointed out, Juyeon gestured for her to walk ahead of him.

“I know you wouldn’t. But still,” Juyeon spoke again, the girl turned to him and was about to hook arms with him but Hongjoong suddenly appeared before her, causing for the items on her tray to jostle around.

“Ahyoung-ah, hi!”

Juyeon mentally winced as he watched his friend.

“H—Hey,” Ahyoung quipped, she took a step back, but Hongjoong failed to notice it.

“I was wondering…would you like to join our table for lunch? My friends would like to get to know you.” He began, his eyes were still on her.

“I’m sorry, I’m quite busy right now, and..besides I have to~”

“Come on, I’m sure Juyeon wouldn’t mind. I bet you two always have the time to chat, aren’t you seatmates?” Hongjoong nudged her, Ahyoung pressed her lips together and Juyeon caught that action. The girl was already cranky since the morning, and Hongjoong forcing her to eat with them was probably not the best idea.

“I really can’t, maybe some other~”

Hongjoong reached for her tray and took it from her, Juyeon halted and his eyes drifted over to Ahyoung.

“Hey, don’t be like this, Ahyoung. We’re all friends here, come!” Hongjoong cheerfully said as he took hold of her arm and kept her tray balanced in the other.

“Join us!” He urged as he started to pull her with him, the girl’s eyes narrowed and she was about to open when suddenly her view of Hongjoong or Jonghoong was blocked.

“Hey, she’s not exactly feeling well.” Juyeon carefully intervened as he stood between them, Hongjoong paused as the male took Ahyoung’s tray from him.

“Juyeon-ah,” He blurted out, his forehead creasing. Ahyoung let out a shaky breath and ran her fingers through her hair.

“Let her eat in peace.” Juyeon said as his eyes went to Hongjoong’s fingers around Ahyoung’s wrist. They didn’t notice how the students inside the cafeteria were staring at them.

“I just wanted to introduce her to new friends, Juyeon-ah.” Hongjoong replied, Juyeon’s brows went up, but his gaze didn’t leave the male’s hold on Ahyoung.

“She’ll join you if she wants to, but now,”

“Why are you speaking for her?” Hongjoong grew annoyed, he pushed the tray against Juyeon’s chest, but the male didn’t budge.

“If I don’t step in,” He said as he gently but firmly pried his fingers off Ahyoung’s wrist.

“You might end up getting hurt, not by me. But her.” He explained as Hongjoong dropped his arm to his side, his lips thinned as he eyed Juyeon warily.

“Why are you acting as if~”

“Drop it, I can’t even say your name right.” Ahyoung blurted out from behind Juyeon, she walked around to get her tray from him.

“Lee Juyeon.” She said as she met his gaze, the male nodded back and she headed for their table, Hongjoong held Juyeon’s gaze.

“Stop acting like you own her, friend.”

Juyeon tilted his head, he was about to speak but someone had walked towards them.

“If you try touching my sister again, I won’t let it be.” Hyunjae hummed as he passed by them, Hongjoong froze, Juyeon shrugged at him before joining Ahyoung and the others at their table.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++