042

The Stealer

 

 

 

“You do not play fair, Lee Ahyoung.”

Ahyoung looked up and grinned, Juyeon was approaching her table with a frown on his face. He carefully set the tray of snacks down before plopping down across her.

“Well, in my defense, I was simply having Sunwoo’s back.” She hummed as she leaned on the table to examine the food, the two were at the campus’ open grounds, enjoying some time before the day officially ends.

“I don’t get why he did that, but it was kind of amusing seeing their reactions.” Ahyoung stated as Juyeon opened one of the chips and pushed it towards her, the male eyed her briefly before speaking.

“You were avoiding me.”

“I..wasn’t.” She paused, meeting his gaze, Juyeon tilted his head at her and the girl sighed.

“Fine, I was…but it’s not because you made me uncomfortable, okay? I just…I needed some time to process? I don’t know, Juyeon. I didn’t know how to react. You…” She trailed off and shoved some chips in , Juyeon opened the bottle of Pepsi for her.

“I, what?”

“You…You’ve always been…you. Super forward, unbothered Lee Juyeon.” She muttered under her breath, Juyeon’s brows went up.

“You think you don’t affect me?” He said, Ahyoung looked up from her chips.

“Ahyoung-ah, I don’t think you noticed, but the past few days you’ve skipped class….It’s my first time feeling uncomfortable in class, I could not focuse…and you wouldn’t return any of our calls. I..I got yelled at, a lot during practice.”

“It…..Is that my fault?” She blinked back at him, Juyeon sighed but he was smiling.

“No. I’m just saying that you…I am not unbothered when it comes to you.” He replied, the girl grew quiet briefly, and then she grimaced.

“Yes, so we don’t have to do this often. But, fine, I get the memo. Thank you for worrying about me, and I’m sorry if you got yelled at.” She said with a small smile, Juyeon snorted, he stood up and transferred seats. The girl turned to him, Juyeon had taken the seat next to hers, he leaned back and stretched his legs before him.

“You don’t have to apologize, but maybe a text back would be nice.”

“Okay, next time.”

“There’s a next time?” Juyeon repeated, the girl let out a small laugh before facing him. Ahyoung felt his gaze on her face, and she turned her head.

“Next time we can go together.” She offered, Juyeon laughed and nodded along, he took the bag of chips from her before speaking.

“Sure, after that Hyunjae hyung will kill me.”

“Not if I get to him first.” She winked at him, the two saw Chanhee and Kevin making their way towards the table.

“Now, how about we mess with our friends for a bit? They’ve been trying to set us up for weeks now.” Juyeon softly said as his fingers grazed hers on the table, Ahyoung smiled without looking at him.

Game.

 

 

 

“You’re going with Jacob?” Sunwoo almost spat his cereal, Ahyoung grimaced and pulled her cup of orange juice closer. It was a Saturday afternoon, and Berry had decided to drop by. The two had been playing video games since then.

“Yes, why?”

“B—But what about Juyeon? Your Juju Bear?” He asked her, Ahyoung stared at him before giving him a slow shrug.

“I don’t know, Berry. Maybe it didn’t work out between us? I mean, come on.”

“Come on, what?” Sunwoo was hissing, Ahyoung grew amused.

“I didn’t know you liked him.”

“I like him for you. I trusted you, Cherry! How could you do this to me?” Sunwoo balked at her, Ahyoung pressed her lips together.

“I do remember you warning me about athletes, Berry. Did you forget? Juyeon is literally the next candidate for team captain next year.” She continued, keeping her face emotionless.

“That was before, Ahyoung. What have you done?” Sunwoo groaned, Ahyoung simply blinked at him.

“I have done nothing, besides, the guy’s popular. I’m sure he’d find someone~”

“You. You are the one he likes. He has his eyes on you. You might not see it, or notice it, but Juyeon….Juyeon’s got it so bad for you, Cherry.”

Ahyoung paused at her friend’s outburst.

“He..He was deeply concerned when you weren’t showing to class, he..he asked if he somehow have has somehow offended you, or scared you off. And, not just that,”

“I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but he’s always made an effort to make you comfortable, he always knows when you need your space..and he…he simply understands you, Ahyoung. And it almost drives me crazy that you don’t see that. You want to know why?”

“No.” She said in a small voice.

“Because you look at him that way too. I’ve never seen you ask for someone’s help, but you seem to be fine with asking for his. You’re comfortable with him. And it’s adorable, Cherry.

Ahyoung grew silent, she was not ready for that. Sunwoo saw too much, and it’s making her cringe. She was about to speak when she heard a car arrive outside, the girl slid down from the stool and jogged to the front door.

“Nice, walk away from this talk we’re having, you ice princess.” Sunwoo called out, Ahyoung pushed the doors open and grinned.

“Ahyoung-ah,” Chaerin paused as she looked at her friend, the girl was standing beside her brother’s Audi.

“Hello, love birds, how was your date?” She chirped as she hopped down the steps, she gave Chaerin a quick hug hello.

“Ahyoung, I…I~”

“You don’t have to say anything. I’m totally fine with everything. You two look cute together, but if my brother ever makes you cry, tell me, okay? I know all his weaknesses, and we can exploit them together~” Ahyoung’s voice became muffled when her brother covered .

“Where are you off to, gremlin?” Hyunjae cooed at her as he pulled her away from the girl, Chaerin grew amused as she watched the two.

“She’s running away, hyung.” Sunwoo appeared by the doors with a spoonful of fruit jam.

“Again? But, we drove home so that we could eat together.” Hyunjae asked, Chaerin grinned at the male.

“I was laying down a couple of facts, and I guess it didn’t sit well with her.”

Ahyoung gave him her two middle fingers, Hyunjae shushed her, and it made Chaerin laugh.

“Is this about Juyeon? Is she still avoiding him?” Hyunjae asked, his hand still covering his sister’s mouth, but the girl raised her fingers and started a silent countdown. The older male immediately let go of her.

“Smart move, oppa. And I’m heading out to get some baking supplies. Do not call me. Do not text me.” She sent the two males pointed looks, but the girl blew Chaerin a kiss before getting in the Audi and speeding away.

“What did you do?” Hyunjae asked Sunwoo, the younger male simply shrugged.

“I think the question is, oppa, is what did Sunwoo not do.”

“Well, we should just order in, I don’t think Ahyoung will be home anytime soon. Call your other friends.” Hyunjae said with a small smile before heading into the house, Chaerin blinked and turned to Sunwoo.

“Don’t worry, he’s not being weird. He just doesn’t want you to be uncomfortable, Ahyoung left so, he wants to invite your other friends.” Sunwoo mused as he slung one arm over her shoulder and pulled her into the house.

 

 

 

“Guys, I don’t think you should intervene.” Hyunjae said carefully as Chanhee and Changmin hunched over the iPad.

“What do you mean, hyung?” His cousin asked, Chaerin chuckled as she listened in.

“You want to set her up, my sister, the Chucky lover, the girl who did not flinch when she watched Conjuring by herself? You want to trick her?”

“She’s left us with no choice, hyung. If we don’t do anything, then she will never admit that she has feelings.” Sunwoo stated.

“She has feelings. He’s talking about Juyeon and her.” Chaerin clarified, sending Sunwoo a look, Kevin laughed and sipped his latte.

“You want her to spit it out? Her feelings?” Hyunjae tilted his head, dubious of his sister’s friends’ plan.

“Well, not really, sunbae. But, put yourself in our shoes.” Chanhee begun, Changmin chuckled and leaned in, wanting to listen.

“Every day we spend our time with those two, and it’s so…frustrating seeing them toeing around each other, you know.”

“Isn’t it good that they’re speaking terms? The Ahyoung I grew up with would avoid guys that showed interest in her.” Hyunjae supplied as he got himself another hotdog sandwich.

“She avoids guys?” Chaerin spoke, the male nodded back at her and grinned.

“Really? Then how come she doesn’t avoid Younghoon hyung?” Changmin asked, the room grew quiet and Kevin elbowed the male. Chaerin grimaced and stuffed with more fries.

“Well, maybe it’s because he never said anything.” Hyunjae replied, his forehead creasing.

“He didn’t have to, we all saw it.” Changmin shrugged before going back to the couch.

“Anyway, I hope your plan works. And I hope Ahyoung doesn’t get pissed. Especially, you.” Hyunjae sent Sunwoo a long look, the younger male simply grinned.

“I think you’re one of the reasons why Ahyoung finally let herself like Juyeon.”

The room grew quiet again, and all eyes went to Hyunae as he casually drank his soda, and went down to sit beside Chaerin.

“What?” Sunwoo blurted out.

“I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but Juyeon has never once stopped her from being alone with you. Unlike…you know who. He respects what you and Ahyoung have, he gets your friendship. And he doesn’t want to get in between that.” Hyunjae stated with a shrug, Chaerin’s brows rose and she smiled at the male.

“Sure, he’s probably the jealous type, who knows? But, I think, in his head, you’re one of Ahyoung’s most trusted friends. And he respects that, so kudos to him.”

 

 

 

Ahyoung stared at the packets of chocolate chips and huffed, she grabbed two bags before moving on. She had no plans to bake yet, but she wanted to give her brother and Chaerin some privacy, so that the two could talk. Well, they wouldn’t be totally alone, but at least they would not have to be mindful of her being around. Ahyoung chewed on her lower lip, she had called her mother last night and told her about her plans of staying with her father for the rest of the schoolyear. The elder was first dubious about it, but after some explaining, she eventually relented. Well, her mother did about a certain boy, Ahyoung was sure that her brother probably had something to do with that.

“So, we are beefing with white chocolate chips now?” A familiar voice said from behind her, the girl scrunched her nose before facing him.

“I’m never sure if I like how they taste or I’m just trying to be different.” She replied, Juyeon grinned before pulling her cart towards him, the girl sighed.

“What’s wrong? I thought you had the whole day with Sunwoo.” Juyeon asked as the girl hooked arms with him.

“Yes, then he started being all…gooey and sentimental, so I left.”

“But, you also have plans with your brother and Chaerin. Dinner.” Juyeon pointed out, Ahyoung paused and turned to him.

“Do…you not want to hang out with me? You can go.” She pointed out, peeved, Juyeon let out a laugh before taking her hand in his. The girl paused briefly, but she nodded back.

“I just don’t want to get in the way of your plans, Sunwoo’s Cherry. I know you two have a lot of catching up to do.”

“Catching up has been done. I am sick of him.”

“No, you’re not.” Juyeon grinned back, the girl stared at him before replying.

“You’re right, I’m not.” She muttered under her breath as they moved along, Juyeon was smiling as he trailed behind her.

“Have you eaten?” He asked her.

“I was hoping we could go get something, but if you have plans, it’s okay. I can always get takeout~”

“No, let’s eat after this. What else do you need?” Juyeon leaned against the cart as he kept pace with her.

“You have a game on Wednesday, right? The championships.” She glanced at him, Juyeon nodded back before making a face.

“You’re not…excited about it? Or..nervous?” She asked as they headed for the cashier.

“I’m looking forward to the game, but coach has been extra…pushy because of it. I mean, it’s not that big of a deal.”

Ahyoung gasped and faced him, Juyeon blinked back at her.

“W—What?” He asked before reaching over to brush the strands of her hair that were sticking to her left cheek.

“How could you say that? It’s the championships!”

“It’s a high school basketball game, Ahyoung-ah.”

Ahyoung’s eyes widened at his words, looking offended.

“You’re the next team captain, how could you say that?” She replied as she placed her items on the counter, she caught the cashier stare at Juyeon briefly before getting to work.

“And here I thought you didn’t take these things seriously.” Juyeon mused as he stood next to her, Ahyoung shrugged at him.

“I just thought it was important to you, but okay.” She said as she took out her wallet, the male chuckled, he reached out and briefly pulled the girl close to his chest before moving along.

“It’s not really a big deal to me, but my teammates might think differently.”

“But it’s the championships!” She argued back, Juyeon’s brows rose, amused.

“Okay, if it’s a big deal to you, then, I’ll try my best on the game, young miss.” Juyeon tilted his head at her, Ahyoung frowned before making a face at him.

“I just don’t understand how you can be so blasé about it.” She muttered as she took out her wallet.

“Well, I already got what I want so, I’m going to live in the moment from now on.”

“What?”

“You.” Juyeon whispered loudly, the cashier hid her grin and continued punching in the items, Ahyoung turned to him, horrified.

“Please don’t kill me. I’ll wait for you outside.” Juyeon said hurriedly before jogging away from her.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++