040

The Stealer

 

 

 

Chaerin was leaning against the counter as she watched female students line up at their booth, they had been busy the whole day and some of her classmates were already complaining. The other guys wanted to remove Juyeon from his waiter duties, but the girls refused.

“I’m going to go get us lunch.” Ahyoung walked by her, Sunwoo looked up from the coffee he was making.

“I’ll take a turkey sandwich!” He called out, the girl nodded back in reply.

“Ahyoung-ah,” Kevin spoke as he set the tray down, the girl turned to him.

“You usually get those rice toppings thing, right?”

“No, could you go get Juyeon for me? He took a break earlier, and there’s way too many people for us to handle. I’m sure he was headed to the cafeteria.”

Sunwoo and Chaerin exchanged knowing grins before looking away.

“Okay.” Ahyoung blurted out before setting off, the girl made her way towards the cafeteria and crossed the school’s gardens.

“Ahyoung sunbae?”

The girl paused, her brows going up. No one has called her that title before, and it felt weird. She turned and found a male student standing before her.

“Yes?” She was confused.

“I..was wondering if you already have a partner?”

“Yes? Partner?” Ahyoung blinked and looked around, other students were passing by as they spoke, she somehow had a feeling that someone was pulling a prank on her. But it didn’t seem that.

“Yes, for the winter dance, sunbae. Do you already have a date?”

Ahyoung tilted her date, she could vaguely recall Chanhee mentioning something about a dance earlier, but she had thought nothing of it.

“I haven’t even had the chance to find out what a winter dance is.” She replied as she fidgeted with her phone.

“Then, sunbae, will you be my date?”

“I—I’m probably going with my brother since…I’m a new student. Sorry.” She quickly said, the younger student blinked at her before wordlessly rushing away.

“I didn’t..even get his name.” She mumbled under her breath as she padded towards the cafeteria, she ordered the sandwiches and Kevin’s meal before looking around. She spotted Juyeon sitting alone, he was in the middle of finishing his food. Ahyoung was tempted to simply send him a text and inform him that Chanhee wanted him back at the booth.

“No. I’m no weakling.” She said to herself as she approached the male, Juyeon’s eyes went to her and he smiled.

“Trust me, it’s not my idea to disturb you while eating, but Chanhee might bite my head off, so,” She said as she sat across him.

“I’m needed back at the coffee place?” He mused back, the girl nodded back.

“But, finish your food before going.”

“Have you eaten?”

“I ordered food for the others, I just have to pick it up before leaving.” She replied, refusing to meet his gaze. Her eyes landed on the poster stuck on the bulleting board, her eyes narrowed at it.

WINTER FORMAL

Juyeon followed her gaze, he was about to speak when someone approached their table, Ahyoung glanced back.

“Juyeon sunbae,” The female student spoke timidly, Juyeon faced the girl, curious.

“Yes?”

“I was wondering if you already have a date for the dance?”

“I haven’t had the chance~”

“Then, will you go with me, sunbae?”

Ahyoung’s eyes widened, she looked at the girl again and noticed her blushing cheeks. She slowly slid down from the seat, she felt Juyeon’s eyes on her, but she simply walked away to claim her food and exited the cafeteria.

 

 

 

“So, I’m starting to think that this winter formal is a big thing here.” Sunwoo stated as he joined Ahyoung, the girl was washing the cups and pans used by the booth.

“You don’t say.” She hummed back at him.

“Why? Did something happen?”

“This student came up to me earlier and asked me to go to the dance with him.” Ahyoung shrugged as she set the damp cups aside.

“What did you say?”

“I lied and used my brother’s name.”

“Huh. You’ve gotten soft.” He commented as he unwrapped his sandwich.

“I didn’t know this school took dances seriously.”

“Our old school did, we just never minded it. And, no one really dared to ask you.” He pointed out in between bites, Ahyoung set the pan down.

“Eomma’s coming in home in a couple of weeks, so, I think I have to move back.”

“Hmm, but wouldn’t that make it a longer drive to school?”

“Yes, and…I think appa’s mentioned wanting to invite her over for a meal when she’s here.”

“Oh, so he doesn’t intend to return you.” Sunwoo said jokingly, Ahyoung scrunched her nose and faced him.

“It got me thinking, maybe…what if I’m the ?”

“W—What?” Sunwoo choked on his sandwich, Ahyoung sighed and pushed his drink closer to him.

“There’s this…ahjussi, I saw his name on eomma’s screen a few times, he was calling her.”

“Oh.”

“And I looked up him up.”

“Wait, so, this guy is trying to woo auntie?”

“I asked her secretary, he’s sent her flowers and all that, but eomma seems…to be fond of ignoring him. And secretary Kim thinks that she’s worried that it might make me feel uncomfortable or, you know, I take up most of her time, and I’d really want her to have time for herself.”

“You think staying with your dad would be good?” Sunwoo continued, the girl nodded along.

“Appa has been too free, and he’s already had that bimbo with him for years now. It’s eomma’s time to find love.” She said while grimacing at her words, Sunwoo let out a laugh.

“She’s always been so busy with me, plus, she finds time to check on oppa too. Maybe it’s now my turn to give our father a headache.”

“He’s always had a perpetual migraine when it comes to you, but you do have a point. It’s closer to the school.”

“Exactly.”

“Closer to Juyeon.”

“I was having a great time, talking about my life and you come up~”

Sunwoo scoffed and started piling the cups, Ahyoung was tempted to shove him.

“It’s a perk too, having him close. I would say it’s the same thing for him.”

“What are you talking about?”

“At first, I did notice you’ve…gotten better, Cherry. You’re less…wreckless now, you used to be so volatile, you know. And, you never lasted two periods at school.”

“I~”

Sunwoo raised on finger to shush her.

“But, I hear his friends talk, Cherry. You’ve made him better too, Chaerin said that he used to be withdrawn and he only spoke when he was being spoken to. But with you, he’s different.”

“You’re….a busybody.” She mumbled, Sunwoo grinned as they walked back towards their booth.

“A busybody who looks out for you, because you tend to be blind.”

“I am not.”

“Wanna talk about your ex?” Sunwoo raised his brows at her, Ahyoung could only gape at him.

“Now, run along, don’t disturb me. Go play with the other kids.”

“Hey!”

 

 

 

“Now this is the place.” Changmin said as he stood in front of the seniors’ horror house, Chaerin grimaced at him while Ahyoung smiled.

“Do we really have to go? I mean, I can just wait out here and~”

“No, you’re going with us. It’s time you face your fears.” Changmin replied, Ahyoung chuckled as the two bickered, she proceeded to line with the rest of the students.

“Why am I not surprised to see you here, sweetheart?” Younghoon walked towards her, he nodded back at the girl’s friends.

“Oppa, I’ve been stuck at a coffee shop with squealing girls the whole morning, I deserve a little spice in my life.”

“The spice being a horror house?” He said, Ahyoung rolled her eyes at him.

“It’s just you three? What about your other friends?” He asked as the line moved along, he spotted Hyunjae already making a beeline towards them.

“Hmm, oppa what’s with the winter dance formal thing? Is it required to go?” She suddenly asked, Younghoon blinked at her.

“No, it’s not.”

Ahyoung pursed her lips slightly, Changmin was waving Chanhee and Juyeon to join them. Sunwoo was right behind the two, enjoying a strawberry flavored snow cone.

“Is that so?”

“It’s not required to attend, why? Do you want to go? I can take you.” Younghoon offered, Chaerin paused and slowly turned her head towards the two. Her forehead creased briefly.

“It’s not that, I just~”

“Hi, guys!” Hyunjae greeted the group, Younghoon was about shush him when Ahyoung spun around to face her sibling.

“Oppa, how about you ask Chaerin out to the dance?” She said, and then everyone paused. Chanhee almost dropped his coffee as his eyes went to Chaerin and Ahyoung’s brother.

“W—What?”

“The winter formal.” Ahyoung jutted her lips towards one of the posters and her brother grimaced, Juyeon hid his grin and looked away.

“A—Ahyoung-ah,” Chaerin winced as she tried to tug on the girl’s arm. Hyunjae could only stare at his sister. Kevin and Changmin

“You two should go together and stop texting each other behind my back.” Ahyoung’s lips curled up and then she disappeared into the horror house.

“She’s a…menace.” Chanhee stated, Sunwoo cackled before shoving Juyeon forward. The taller male looked at him incredulously.

“You better act fast.” Sunwoo said through gritted teeth while keeping his smile in place, Juyeon exhaled and followed the girl in.

 

 

 

Ahyoung sighed as the students in front of her screamed when a mangled mannequin suddenly dropped to the ground, it was dark inside the horror house and the pathway was lit by red lights that were decorated with various bloody items. She reached out and traced the plastic axe that had “blood” stains on it. The girl merely paused when a zombie dashed after her while making weird sounds. Zombie paused, taken aback by her lack of reaction and went back to his hiding place.

The girl moved along, following the yells and screams of the other students, she passed by the “asylum” area and saw a student dressed as Pennywise with a fake chainsaw in hand, it started to go after her but the room suddenly went dark and a screeching laugh played through the speakers.

“Really?” Ahyoung muttered and then she felt a hand on her shoulder, the girl was about to react when she caught whiff of a familiar scent.

“Why are you unimpressed?” Juyeon muttered under his breath, the girl smiled to herself, but she grimaced as she realized that she could identify him by his cologne.

“The whole thing’s a cliché, Lee Juyeon.” She stated as they moved along, Juyeon’s hand was still on her shoulder.

“Really?” He said as he flinched when the clown walked after them, Ahyoung glanced at him and smiled. Juyeon met her gaze evenly despite the dim lighting.

“It’s good to see you in your element…I guess.” He blurted out as a winged creature suddenly jumped out from the wall, Juyeon flinched and Ahyoung gently took his hand in hers.

“You’ll be fine, Juju Bear. Come on.” She mused as she pulled the male with him, they reached a maze of mirrors and found more students running around while a student dressed like the demon nun Valak chased them. Ahyoung reached out to touch the glass and started moving forward.

“Chaerin will probably kill you.”

“Hmm, I just did what needed to be done.” Ahyoung whispered back, Juyeon smiled and looked at their hands.

“You knew they were texting?”

“Sometimes my brother calls her, he thinks he’s so slick when he has the loudest voice. Noise cancelling is nothing.” She said as they reached the exit doors, Ahyoung pushed the doors open and exhaled.

“Why are we not out yet?” Juyeon frowned, this room was darker than the rest of the maze.

“Our sunbaes really took their time with this one.” Ahyoung mused as she toed around the fake body parts, Juyeon flinched but the girl pushed on. Then a dark figure started coming towards them, Ahyoung stared at the student, but Juyeon gently tugged her back to him.

“Sure, but maybe we should rush a bit.” Juyeon said under his breath, the two sidestepped the dark ghost and moved along. It took the a few seconds to reach the exit and Ahyoung was already smiling.

“See? We’re here and we’re alive.” Ahyoung said, she looked at the doors again, their friends weren’t there yet.

“Changmin’s probably doing a photoshoot inside.” Juyeon stated, the girl smiled, and they were ushered out of the booths.

“Are you going with Sunwoo to the dance?” He asked her, Ahyoung scrunched her nose, and Juyeon tensed.

“We never go to dances.” She replied as she hooked arms with him, Juyeon relaxed and nodded back.

“Well, do you think~”

“Juyeon sunbae, you did so well today. I heard about your booth’s success!” A group of sophomores walked up to them, Ahyoung grew amused.

“Yes, there’s more coffee at the booth. You can come back anytime.” Juyeon informed them with a grin.

“We did pass by, but you weren’t there. Are you coming back to your booth now?”

“You should go back. I have to check if my brother hasn’t trashed my car yet.” Ahyoung said to him, Juyeon paused.

“Ahyoung, wait~”

Ahyoung gave him a small wave before moving on, she took a quick glance back at Juyeon and the sophomores and shook her head.

“Since when did he become so popular?”

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++