041

The Stealer

 

 

 

“You slow poke.” Chaerin said as Juyeon arrived at their grade’s booth, the male blinked at her, confused.

“Well, good morning to you too.” He replied, it was day two of the school fair and the campus was open to outsiders today.

“Three boys have asked her out, Juyeon. No, four. I was there when Younghoon sunbae casually asked if she wanted to go and he’d take her.” She pointed out at him, Juyeon paused and turned to her.

“Is she going?”

“Not with him. I don’t know.” She muttered as she set aside the paper cups, Juyeon pressed his lips together as more of their classmates arrived.

“What’s going on? Why are you two..There’s something off.” She said to him as Juyeon put down the chairs.

“I…I don’t exactly know.” He stated, Chaerin exhaled, she was about to speak when she heard footsteps approaching.

“Hi.” Hyunjae was smiling at her, the girl swallowed and returned his smile.

“See? Things are so much easier when you don’t hide.” Ahyoung brushed by, Chaerin eyed her warily.

“You’re one to talk, Lee Ahyoung.” Hyunjae commented, Ahyoung’s turned to him.

“Really?” She shot back, her brows going up, Chaerin grew amused as the older brother backed down.

“Good morning, sunbae.” Chaerin intervened, Ahyoung made a face at her brother before putting her bag away. Juyeon watched as she asked one of their classmates for some coffee.

“Hey, you wanted to talk about our report?” Juyeon walked to her, the girl had texted him earlier.

“Right, I asked Kevin regarding the format, I was worried I’d mess it up if I print it at home.” She took out her phone and went through her emails.

“It’s this one, I think this one was assigned to you? Can you~” Ahyoung was showing him her phone when she felt a presence with them.

“Juyeon sunbae, hi.” The girl was smiling at him, Ahyoung slowly pulled her phone back and took her coffee.

“Hello, our booth is still closed but you can come back in a few minutes.” Juyeon was polite, Hyunjae watched as the scene unfold.

“I know that, I came here to see you.”

“Oh.”

Hyunjae saw how Juyeon reached for Ahyoung, he seems to have done it consciously, the older Lee grin to himself. But Ahyoung had already pulled away.

“Ahyoung-ah, your coffee.” Their classmate reappeared with her cup, she thanked him before leaving the booth.

“Do you already have a date for the formal, sunbae?”

Juyeon’s eyes went back to the girl, he was staring at Ahyoung’s retreating figure, he blinked again.

“What?”

“The formal, do you~”

“Juyeon hasn’t decided if he’s going to the formal yet, my dear hoobae. You can check in the next three to five business days, thanks.” Chaerin chirped, the girl turned to her and narrowed her eyes in reply.

“He plans on asking someone. Now, please, leave our booth.” Chanhee walked by, looking on edge. Hyunjae chuckled and excused himself, Juyeon opened his mouth to speak but Chanhee beat him to it.

“Our booth will be busy today, should I put out a poster that says “Please do not ask Lee Juyeon to the formal” outside the booth? It can get annoying; the girls get in the way of work.” He asked with his hands planted on his waist. Chaerin let out a laugh, Sunwoo and Changmin arrived and heard Chanhee’s comment.

“I can help make the poster!” Sunwoo volunteered, Juyeon exhaled and turned away from his friends.

 

 

 

“They’re totally helpless.” Hyunjae commented as he picked up their drinks, Chaerin paused briefly, still not used to talking with him publicly.

“I think Juyeon is just being careful, sunbae. He…likes being friends with her, he wants it to be more, but losing her would….you know.”

Hyunjae chuckled and nodded.

“My sister can be difficult, but the fact that she’s not avoiding him speaks volumes, you know.” He stated as they sat down.

“Really?” Chaerin was curious, Hyunjae pushed her iced tea towards her before talking.

“She’s comfortable around him, just give her some time to arrange the chaos in her head. They’ll be fine.”

“I remember the first few weeks of class, we were all curious and terrified her, Juyeon was the only one who actually spoke to her.”

“I remember that too. Actually, I remember trying to talk to you multiple times, I even used my sister as an excuse.”

Chaerin grimaced and she diverted her gaze, Hyunjae chuckled and leaned on the table between them.

“But it seemed like you didn’t want to talk to me.”

“No~”

“Is it because some girls bullied my sister when they thought we weren’t siblings?” Hyunjae spoke, but he was frowning.

“Ahyoung mentioned how you had a hard time before because of your friendship with Juyeon.” He continued, sounding unsure.

“That’s true, some of our batchmates did talk bad about me because of Juyeon. But, we’ve always been good friends, I’ve always found him…annoying.” She unconsciously made a face, Hyunjae smiled and nodded.

“But, I wasn’t avoiding you because of that, sunbae. Don’t be bothered about it.” She shook her head and took a small sip.

“That’s good to hear. Because I’m about to drop a bomb on you.”

“Is this a family trait? Because your sister loves doing that.” Chaerin sighed and leaned on her seat, the older male shook his head as he spoke.

“I wanted to ask you about the winter formal. May I take you to the dance?”

Chaerin grew silent, she could already see herself blushing deeply but Hyunjae was looking at her earnestly.

“Well, think about it, okay? I know this is asking too much since I~”

“Yes, you may take me to the dance, sunbae.”

Hyunjae paused, and a huge grin appeared on his handsome face.

“So, our things this weekend is still a go? I know my sister has been…rash with things.”

Chaerin let out a laugh and put her tea back on the table.

“Yes. And, it’s fine, I don’t think we’d get anywhere without Ahyoung.”

“True, she enjoys kicking us out of our comfort zone.” Hyunjae muttered under his breath, but he was smiling.

 

 

 

Ahyoung was smiling as she landed on the other side of the wall with a soft thud, she rubbed her palms together and started to cross the street. She pulled her out of its ponytail and headed straight for the bus stop.

“Ahyoung-ah.”

She froze and turned her head, Juyeon was jogging after her.

“I have plans to go back. I just..wanted to get something to eat.” She said quickly, Juyeon grinned and raised his brows at her. He was not buying it.

“Well, maybe a short trip to here and there too.”

“Where are you going?”

“Now I’m not so sure, did Chanhee send you after me? He can be so mean when it comes to school work.” She frowned at him, Juyeon shook his head and showed that he also had his bag with him.

“I came to cut class with you too.”

“Oh!” She balked at him, surprised.

“What would coach say? He~”

“Drop it. I know you don’t care about what our coach says.” Juyeon nudged her, she grinned and he slung one arm around her shoulder.

“What’s today’s itinerary?”

“I need new clothes. And, I have to buy some groceries for my mother’s house.” She continued, Juyeon hummed in reply.

“You don’t really have to accompany me. I was planning to meet up with Haneul.” Ahyoung saw the bus coming, Juyeon stopped walking.

“You want to go alone?”

“…Kind of. But, you can come if you want. I don’t mind the~”

“Then, before you leave, can I ask you something?” Juyeon asked her, the girl stilled but she nodded at him.

“Will you go to the dance with me?”

Ahyoung’s brows went up, but she gave him a small smile.

“It’s just the dance, nothing about~”

“Yes, I’ll go to the dance with you.” Ahyoung replied, a wide grin started to form on Juyeon’s face.

“Will you be back at school by noon?” He asked as the bus neared them, he gently pulled her back into the sidewalk.

“Yes. I need my car, you know.” She mused at him, Juyeon nodded before leaning over to kiss the side of her head, Ahyoung paused but she returned his grin.

“Okay, have fun.” He excitedly said as he walked her towards the bus, Ahyoung was about to get in but she turned back to him.

Juyeon met her gaze, and raised his brows at her.

“And, yes.”

“What?”

“To that other thing. Yes.” Ahyoung stated before getting on the bus, Juyeon could only stare at the vehicle as it drove away.

“A—Ahyoung-ah, wait!”

 

 

 

Baecob!

Jacob turned, Ahyoung was walking towards him. The older male smiled and waved her over.

“I’m going to assume that you just got back from…an outing?” He spoke as he noticed the shopping bags with her, the girl winked at him.

Why am I not surprised?

“I enjoyed the horror house, but..”

I know, some of my classmates want to avoid you just in case you go back in. I’ve never seen them so flustered.” He said dryly as they approached the school grounds.

Well, some improvements would help, oppa.

Sure, now go run along, stop scaring the seniors.” Jacob snorted and mussed her hair, Ahyoung rolled her eyes and jogged back towards their booth.

“How was your day?” Changmin raised his brows at her as she arrived, the girl offered him a smile before raising the bag of mochi donuts with her.

“And this is why you’re my favorite cousin.” He immediately took the bag from her, Ahyoung scoffed and looked around.

“Hello, Cherry.” Sunwoo brushed past her with a tray of empty cups.

“Sunwoo, I was wondering~”

“Would you go to the dance with me Juyeon sunbae?”

The two paused and turned, Juyeon was awkwardly standing by a table of sophomore girls, one was pressing a box of chocolates towards him while closing her eyes, clearly waiting for his reply. Sunwoo grimaced and his eyes went to his friend.

“This school and its love for winter formal proposals.” Sunwoo let out a forced chuckled, Juyeon looked around, his eyes found Ahyoung’s.

“Help.” He mouthed, but the girl grinned and simply walked towards the counter to help Kevin with the drinks. Sunwoo and Chanhee exchanged looks across the booth, and Berry started to worry.

“Actually!” Sunwoo blurted out as he hopped over to Juyeon’s side, he gently pushed the chocolates away from his friend.

“Juyeon’s going to the dance with me.” Sunwoo announced, the whole booth grew quiet, even Juyeon paused at his words. Ahyoung pressed the back of her hand to .

“I—I didn’t know those two made plans.” Kevin blurted out beside her, stunned.

“Right?” Sunwoo elbowed the male beside him, Juyeon was staring right back at him.

“Right, Lee Juyeon?” Sunwoo said through gritted teeth, Ahyoung leaned against the counter and looked at the two. She couldn’t help but let out a laugh as Berry continued nudging Juyeon to support his claim.

“Right, Lee Juyeon?” Ahyoung called out as well, Juyeon sighed before nodding along with them.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++