025

The Stealer

 

 

 

“How will you tell your brother? Will you even tell him about what you did today?” Juyeon mused as the girl took another bite off her kimbap.

“Why? I went out, met up with you guys, watched a movie, well technically, I was the only one who watched,” She said teasingly, Juyeon rolled his eyes at her.

“Then, hung out with Younghoon oppa, then met with you again.”

“Oh, how about the part where you dropped a bomb on Chaerin at lunch?”

Ahyoung flinched, her arm around his tightening, Juyeon smiled and shook his head, the two were already walking back to her house.

“Is she mad at me?” She softly asked, Juyeon shook his head.

“No, she’s just shocked.”

“I hope she doesn’t avoid me because of that, even oppa, I know he can be a little…overbearing but my brother’s a good guy. You don’t think she’ll avoid him, right? That would hurt him.” She mumbled, Juyeon glanced at her, amused. She really had no idea, Ahyoung does not notice how Chaerin literally runs away at the sight of her older brother.

“She won’t. Give her some time, she’ll be fine.” He nudged her, Ahyoung took another bite.

“Okay, so,” She began as they neared her house, Juyeon spotted another car parked at their curb but he nodded for her to continue.

“If ever..If ever something happens to me, would you be willing to pick me up for school on Monday?”

He let out a laugh, Ahyoung sighed and slapped his arm.

“Ahyoung-ah, I don’t think it’s that bad. Surely, your brother~”

“I just need the assurance, riding the bus is terrifying.”

“Why? Did something happen?” His eyes went to her again, forehead creasing.

“N—Nothing. I just~”

“What are you saying? Of course, I’ll come pick you up if your brother decides not to drive you because you accidentally spilled some of his secrets.” He mused pulling her back to him and slung one arm around her shoulder.

“I only spilled one!” She argued.

“Sure.” Juyeon teasingly said as they walked in the property, Ahyoung was muttering to herself as they reached the house’s front doors. Juyeon paused, noticing her brother and Younghoon standing by the doors both males were looking at them.

Hyunjae was grinning at them, while the other older male was simply looking, the look on his face unfathomable as his eyes traced over to the arm he had around Ahyoung.

 

 

 

“I’m assuming that’s your dinner, little sis.” Younghoon heard Hyunjae speak, he peeled his gaze away from the two and glanced at his friend.

“I—I’m not that hungry, oppa.” She murmured, Juyeon put his arm down and nodded at the older male.

“Thanks, Juyeon-ah. She wasn’t taking my calls; did she take yours?”

“No, sunbae. I just found her nearby.”

“Did you put an AirTag on me?” Ahyoung blurted out at him, Juyeon chuckled, he mussed her hair before speaking.

“I’ll get going now. You should eat something else. Good night.” He mused before walking back towards the gate, Hyunjae jogged after the younger male to walk him to the gates.

“Quite the escape artist, our Lee Ahyoung.” Younghoon spoke as the girl sauntered over towards the doors.

“Oppa, I simply gave you two some time to reconnect, it’s been years since you last saw her.” She replied as they walked in the house, the two passed by the kitchen, Ahyoung saw her father’s coat lying around.

“Appa’s home already.”

“He arrived earlier, don’t worry, your brother covered for you.”

She smiled, pleased.

“There’s nothing to reconnect. I can’t even remember her well.” Younghoon stated as they got inside the kitchen, Ahyoung started rummaging through the fridge.

“She’s pretty, and really, really cool.” She said as she started heating up some soup, Hyunjae arrived and grabbed a bowl and some chopsticks for her.

“Who? Younghoon’s friend?” The older Lee mused as Ahyoung grabbed one of the stools.

“Yeah, her name’s Eunhee and this unnie studied in Melbourne, she hasn’t been home in like six years.” She started as she took the soup out from the microwave, Hyunjae grinned at his friend, but Younghoon was looking at Ahyoung.

“So, you approve of her? For Younghoon.”

“Of course, I do.” She chuckled as she returned to her seat and started scooping out some rice.

“Since you’re back, I’ll get going.” Younghoon said, his brows furrowed together, Ahyoung paused briefly.

“What’s wrong with you? Eat before~”

“I have other stuff to do, I’ll drive back~”

“Still, you were waiting for her, at least grab something to~”

“No, it’s fine. You two enjoy.” Younghoon said before stepping away from the countertop, the two siblings could only watch as he left through the garage door, moments later they heard his Audi rolling away from the property. Ahyoung chewed on her lower lip, worried.

“Does he seem angry to you?” Hyunjae nudged her shoulder, Ahyoung shook her head.

“I…don’t know, oppa.”

“Anyway, tell me about your day. How was the movie? Did you have fun?” Hyunjae began, Ahyoung turned to her brother and swallowed.

“Y—Yes, i—it was fun.”

“What did you guys watch?” Hyunjae asked as he poured some water for her, the girl took another spoonful of her rice, then another. Hyunjae blinked at her in confusion.

“Did Juyeon not feed you?” He laughed.

“We..ate.” She coughed, choking slightly, Hyunjae sighed and brushed the bit off rice from her cheeks.

“Oppa, aren’t you going up? You have exams next week.”

“I’m here to accompany you eat, Young-ah.” Hyunjae shook his head at her, Ahyoung set her spoon down.

“It’s fine, oppa, you should go up. I don’t mind eating alone. Go.”

Hyunjae was then gently pushed off his seat, the older male eyed her warily.

“Okay, don’t stay up too late.”

“Yes, good night.” She said as she waved at him, Hyunjae tilted his head at her before finally leaving the girl alone. Ahyoung let out a huge breath as her brother disappeared.

“I am so dead.”

 

 

 

“You have quite some explaining to do.” Juyeon said as he drove inside the familiar black gates of their school, Ahyoung sighed from her seat.

“Did she call you over the weekend?”

“No.”

“I hope I didn’t make her feel uncomfortable. My brother’s harmless.”

Juyeon glanced at her briefly, he broke into a smile and looked ahead. The car pulled to a stop, and Ahyoung spotted Chaerin and Chanhee talking by his car. She slowly slid down from the vehicle and met her friend’s gaze.

“Hey,” She said as she jogged over to them, Chanhee grinned at her.

“Not riding with your brother today?” He asked her, Chaerin glanced at her briefly and chewed on her lower lip.

“No, he…he woke up late, and I kind of wrangled Juyeon into giving me one.” She mused, Juyeon reached them and pulled Chanhee with him.

“We’re grabbing a bite.” He announced before leaving, Chanhee shrugged and followed the male.

“Okay, I can explain. And, I’m sorry.” Ahyoung quickly said as they walked together, Chaerin balked at her.

“W—What are you saying? W—Why are you apologizing?”

“I made uncomfortable, all this time I thought you knew and…you could sense it, so, I just..chucked it as you not being interested in him.” Ahyoung trailed off, running her fingers through soft silky locks, Chaerin looked at her friend and exhaled.

“I…I didn’t know, Ahyoung-ah. I was..never in your brother’s circle.”

“What do you mean? You’ve been friends with Changmin for quite some time.” The girl replied as they went up the steps.

“No, no, you don’t get it. Your oppa’s extremely popular, girls love him, he’s smart, athletic and, he simply doesn’t go for girls~”

Oh my god, do not give me that crap.” Ahyoung sighed at her, Chaerin still, surprised. The girl hooked arms with her as they continued walking.

“You’re class president, I cannot even fathom how good your grades are, don’t let me start with your looks. Sometimes I don’t even want to stand next to you, do you know what Haneul told me last night?”

“W—What?”

“You’d give those popular girls back at my old school a run for their money. Cheekbones, full lips and doe like eyes.” Ahyoung recounted.

“Why do you think Goeun and minions kept on coming at you? They’re threatened.” She continued, Chaerin swallowed.

“You’re just saying that~”

“When did I ever say things just for the sake of saying things?” She shot back as they reached their building.

“Anyway, going back, will you forgive me?”

“I wasn’t…You know, come to think of it, you shouldn’t be apologizing to me.” Chaerin blinked at her, she noticed how Ahyoung’s cheek pinkened.

“I see your brother doesn’t know yet.”

“Well, that’s another problem…for another day, right?”

“S—Sure.” Chaerin chuckled slightly, the other girl exhaled and they walked towards their classroom.

“But, if he ever asked you out,” Ahyoung suddenly halted and faced her.

“Will you say yes? Don’t think about me or, us being friends, will you go out with him?”

 

 

 

Ahyoung paused as she saw her brother and Younghoon heading towards the indoor pool, her brows furrowed. She had tried talking to him at lunch, but Younghoon was avoiding her. She saw Jacob spot her, the older male smiled, and she waved back at him.

“That’s another problem, for another day.” She mumbled under her breath, she paused when she felt an arm on her shoulder.

“Chaerin didn’t want to talk about it, but you two seem happy today, so?” Juyeon began as he walked with her.

“I..kind of fixed it.”

“Good for you.” He laughed, Ahyoung elbowed him, he just continued grinning.

“I’ll drive you home, I know your brother has practice.” He said as they headed for the parking lot. He saw Changmin and Chanhee ahead of them, Kevin was already waiting by his car.

“But, Kevin says he wants to try this Takoyaki place a few blocks away.”

“I know, I would never let you walk in this humid weather.” Juyeon hummed just as Chaerin appeared beside them. Juyeon grinned and slung his other arm over her shoulder.

“He’s in a good mood now, wait till Friday comes.” Chaerin stated, Juyeon didn’t react, but he scrunched his nose.

“What’s on Friday? The game?” Ahyoung turned to look up at him, Juyeon paused briefly, realizing how close her face was to his. Chaerin looked away to hide her smile.

“W—Well, yes. And, it’s the one game the determines if we get to play championships.”

“Wow, really? We all should be there then.” Ahyoung nodded along as they neared his car, Chaerin weaseled away from his grip.

“I’ll go with Changmin. See you two in a bit.” Chaerin winked at her longtime friend before dashing away.

“I hope you guys win, no, I know you will.” Ahyoung said as Juyeon unlocked the car.

“I hope so, coach has been~”

“Ahyoung-ah,”

The girl paused, she turned and her brows rose.

“Sunbae,” She blurted out, Juyeon’s eyes were on the familiar looking male. He couldn’t remember his name, but he knew he played against him before. And judging by the way Ahyoung greeted him, the male was from her previous school.

“Hey, it’s good to see you.”

“Y—Yes, you too. What..brings you here?”

Juyeon tossed his duffel bag in the trunk, he glanced at the two again.

“Do you have time to talk?” The male asked her, Ahyoung chewed on her lower lip, and then she turned to Juyeon.

“Can you text me the place’s address? I’ll be there soon.”

“Are you sure? I can wait for you.” Juyeon said, he felt the male’s eyes on him.

“It’s fine. Drive safely.” She smiled, giving his arm a squeeze before walking away with the other student. Juyeon’s brows furrowed but he slowly got inside the car and the G Wagon sped away from the parking lot.

“What is it, Jungwoo sunbae?”

“Ahyoung-ah, I know I…shouldn’t even be here talking to you about this, but, I..I need your help.” Jungwoo began.

“Sunbae~”

“It’s Jaehyun.”

“No~”

“Can’t you..talk to him? I mean, just sit down to talk, Ahyoung-ah? He..He can’t focus on our games, and at this point, you’re the only person who can talk him out of this. He..He wants you back, Ahyoung-ah.”

The girl stilled, her forehead creasing.

“Is that my problem?” Ahyoung finally replied, her tone arctic.

“Ahyoung, maybe a clean break would~”

“A clean break? Do you even remember what he did, sunbae?”

Jungwoo grew quiet, he looked away from her.

“He….attacked him. He cornered him and beat him, sunbae. I was there at the hospital, I stayed there as the doctors operated him. Why? Because your team captain could not understand the concept of friendship, I’ve known Berry since I was a kid. He’s always been there for me, and you think I’d choose some boy I met at school over him? No, never.”

“Ahyoung, he apologized. And~”

“He did. And I lost my friend. You don’t understand, he left because of him!” She snapped at him, Jungwoo grimaced.

“So, I don’t care if Jung Jaehyun can’t focus or that he wants to talk. Screw him.”

“Ahyoung, it’s been almost a year and Sunwoo is~”

“Sunwoo disappeared without saying goodbye. I lost my best friend all because I didn’t realize how bad Jaehyun was for me. That’s it.”

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++