026

The Stealer

 

 

 

Juyeon checked the time on his phone, with furrowed brows he set it down again.

“By the way, I thought Ahyoung was joining us.” Kevin said as he dipped his Takoyaki in more sauce.

“Right, we went down together.” Chaerin chimed in, wiping her lips with a napkin.

“I thought she was going to ride with you.” Changmin spoke, Chanhee looked up from his plate, curious.

“Y—Yeah, but..she got preoccupied. Have you texted her?” Juyeon replied, Chanhee’s brows went up but he went back to eating.

“No. I thought you already have.” Her cousin replied, Juyeon’s forehead creased but he nodded and took his phone again.

“Try calling her. She may have gotten lost or something.” Chanhee suggested, Juyeon tapped on the green icon and put the device to his ear.

“She’s not picking up.” Juyeon spoke after few seconds, Kevin frowned and looked at the Takoyaki.

“She was craving for these as well. Maybe we should have waited for her.” Kevin noted, Chaerin was about to speak when she felt Chanhee nudging her.

“What?” She mouthed at him.

“He’s not in the best mood. I bet something happened.” Chanhee whispered lowly, Chaerin glanced at Juyeon.

“Did they fight?”

“I don’t think so. He texted her earlier, she replied.” She whispered back.

“Maybe she decided to head home first?” Kevin spoke again, Changmin looked up from his phone.

“I don’t think so, Hyunjae hyung’s still at school.” He said, Chanhee picked up another Takoyaki.

“Well, she’ll call if something comes up. Maybe she decided to go somewhere first.” Chaerin carefully said.

“Maybe she went to chat with Younghoon sunbae? I kind of noticed that..she’s been trying to talk to him at school. But, the sunbae…has been off with her, I think.” Kevin explained, Juyeon looked at him before wordlessly taking a bite.

“Did you see him before leaving?” Chanhee looked at Juyeon.

“No.”

“Did you try calling her again?”

“I already said that she’s not picking up.” Juyeon replied without looking up from his plate, Chanhee flinched and tilted his head at the rest.

 

 

 

“Something is not adding up.” Chanhee pursed his lips as he stared at Ahyoung’s empty seat. It was already third period, and still no signs of the girl. They did see Hyunjae arrive earlier, but he was alone. And no one had yet dared ask him as to where Ahyoung was. Chaerin was against that, she reasoned that they may blow their friend’s cover if they ask her brother. But, Chanhee felt there was more to that.

“I did text her. Still nothing.” Changmin said as he returned to his desk.

Juyeon walked back inside the classroom, he plopped down on his seat and looked at his friends.

“He’s going to be a little late, one of the people from the office came by.” Kevin told him, referring to their teacher. Juyeon nodded back, the male took out a couple of his textbooks.

“Did you get to talk to her last night? It would be better if we know if she got home last night.” Chanhee frowned, Kevin glanced at Juyeon.

“Did she text you?”

“No.” Juyeon’s reply was short, all eyes went to Chaerin.

“I~”

“Oh, Lee Juyeon!” Hongjoong strolled into the room with a huge grin, Changmin made a face and grabbed his phone.

“What do they want?” Chanhee shuddered as Hongjoong’s two other friends trailed him, the three males stopped before Juyeon’s desk.

“I’m surprised you still have the face to show up here, after that you pulled last night.” Hongjoong began, Changmin and Chaerin glanced at each other, their other classmates began to stare at them.

“Yes, our famous team captain candidate messed up so much yesterday that coach asked us to stay for another two hours. Two hours!” Hongjoong slammed his palms on Juyeon’s desk, the male slowly looked up, his cold gaze landing on his face.

“I’m not the only one who messed up. I remember you missing some shots. And your footwork was crap.” Juyeon replied calmly, Hongjoong let out a humorless laugh.

“Hey, just because you’re good and the teachers never call you out, doesn’t mean we should let you trample over us, Lee Juyeon.”

Juyeon exhaled, he leaned back on his chair and crossed his arms. Chaerin’s eyes widened, it was that look in his eyes. The disinterested gaze and nonchalant stance, he was just moments away from losing his temper.

“How about you focus on your footwork rather than being on my business?” Juyeon said, his voice staying even. Kevin grimaced and turned his gaze away.

“Ah, you must be in a horrible mood since your seatmate’s not around, huh? Ahyoung’s absent.” Hongjoong noticed the empty seat beside him, Juyeon didn’t react, he was looking at the empty whiteboard.

“Hongjoong-ah, just leave. We’re about to have class soon.” Chaerin intervened softly, Hongjoong eyed her warily and scoffed.

“It’s just like you to take his side, no, both of you girls always take his side.” He mused as he leered at her, Juyeon’s forehead creased.

“I wonder what this punk did to have all you and Ahyoung all wrap around his finger like that? Did he~”

Juyeon suddenly stood up, his chair fell over and landed on the floor with a loud thud. Kevin and Changmin panicked, while Chaerin flinched back. Chanhee’s eyes went to his friend, Juyeon’s jaw was clenched tightly and his lower lip jutting out, a sure sign of him just holding it in.

“Juyeon-ah,” Chanhe slowly stood up, Hongjoong smirked and he opened his mouth.

“You probably had them ~”

“Hey! You at basketball, I don’t think anyone’s ever told you this, but did your parents pay the coach to put you in the team?” Chanhee spoke, Hongjoong’s eyes went to him, and the other students stifled their laughs.

“It must have cost a lot.” Chanhee continued, Juyeon pulled away from his desk and quietly left the classroom.

 

 

 

“Chaerin-ah, hi.”

Chaerin froze, she slowly turned her head and mentally grimaced.

“S—Sunbae, hi.” She managed to blurt out as the older male walked towards her, his tray was already filled with his lunch.

“Did you just get here?” He asked as he walked with her towards the line, the girl slowly nodded back, her grip on her own tray tightening.

“Yes, we..finished class a little late. Some of my friends are still upstairs.” She added as she grabbed her usual meal and an apple.

“Really? Then are you eating alone? Join us then.” Hyunjae said, Chaerin quickly glanced around the cafeteria.

“I—It’s okay, sunbae. Juyeon’s here.” She said with a small smile, Hyunjae nodded back at her.

“Right, sunbae, did Ahyoung get home okay yesterday?” She asked as the male kept pace with her.

“Yes, why?”

Chaerin blinked back at him, Hyunjae tilted his head in reply.

Oh my god, he has no idea his sister is ditching class.

And he probably has no idea what his sister just spilled.

“A—Ah, it’s nothing. She..didn’t join us yesterday. We went for..Takoyaki.”

“Really? Then, will you invite me next time you guys go there?” Hyunjae said with a small smile, Chaerin spotted Juyeon stroll in, he met her gaze briefly.

“Y—Yes, sure, I…I’ll tell Ahyoung to text you, sunbae.” The girl was about to move forward, but Hyunjae gently held onto her elbow.

“They’re still mopping this area.” He said as he gestured towards the wet floor, Chaerin chewed on her lower lip.

“Let me take that.” He grinned as he took her tray and made his way towards Juyeon, Chaerin swallowed and waddled after him.

Why did Ahyoung have to spill those things?

Why did I befriend her? Why? Why?

“Chaerin-ah,” Juyeon’s voice made her pause, Hyunjae had already set her tray down beside her friend.

“I’ll get going then,” Hyunjae winked before stepping away from them, Juyeon was grinning at Chaerin as she slowly sat down across him.

“Thanks, I…guess.” Chaerin mumbled under her breath as she watched the older male walk away.

“No. Don’t you even start.” She said just as Juyeon opened his mouth, the male chuckled and picked up his spoon.

“He was being nice. That was all I wanted to say.”

“Sure. Wanna explain your sour mood today? Does a certain girl’s absence~”

“Hongjoong was being an , and I didn’t like the way he was talking about you and Ahyoung.” He said as he took a spoonful of rice and shoved it in his mouth.

“Hmm, makes sense.” She hummed in reply, Juyeon shrugged at her.

“Practice didn’t go so well last night?”

“Not really.”

“How bad?”

“They made us run drills twice than the usual, and Chanhee wasn’t lying when he spoke about Hongjoong’s…shooting skills.”

Chaerin chuckled and nodded, she started nibbling on her apple.

“Juyeon-ah,”

“Hmm?”

“You..and Ahyoung,” She said, Juyeon’s eyes went to her briefly.

“I’m glad you two get along well.” Chaerin stated as she moved her kimchi around the plate, Juyeon nodded along, chewing.

“She’s…starting to become special to you, huh?”

“Chaerin-ah, don’t~”

“Well?” She pressed, knowing when and when not to test his limits.

“Kind of. Yes. I think.” Juyeon sighed at her, Chaerin’s lips curled up and she went back to eating.

“Good to know, Lee Juyeon.”

 

 

 

Ahyoung ran her fingers through her hair as she stepped inside the familiar café, her lips curled up as she saw the menu by the counter.

“Ahyoung? Lee Ahyoung?” The barista spoke as he saw her, the girl broke int a grin as the male checked his watch twice.

“Y—You aren’t supposed to be here. You’re even in uniform.” He pointed out as she walked towards him.

“I decided to give myself a break, oppa.”

“A break? From what? School? You’re crazy.” He chuckled as he gestured for her to follow him to the counter, Ahyoung ordered her usual and a slice of carrot cake.

“I heard that you transferred schools, Haneul and Jikyung came by to visit a few days ago.”

The girl nodded back before paying for her food.

“Seeing you back here does bring back memories, you and Sunwo used to come here almost every day right after causing trouble at school.” The older male chuckled as she made her coffee.

“Yes, it’s been a while. And,” She glanced at their usual table by the window, she smiled to herself.

“He really loves this place, oppa.”

“Well, tell him to hit me up when he’s back, okay? I know he left.”

“Y—Yes, I will, oppa.” Ahyoung replied, she took her tray and made her way towards the table, she sat on her usual seat.

“I don’t even know if he’ll hit me up if he’s back.” She murmured to herself as she took her coffee, Ahyoung sighed and looked out the window.

“I told you not to put the pie there!” Sunwoo guffawed as they rushed towards the vine covered wall, Ahyoung scoffed in reply.

“Nobody told her to sit there. Technically,” She huffed as they reached the wall, Sunwoo knelt on one knee and gestured for her to rush. The girl grinned, she put one foot on his knee and let Sunwoo push her over.

“Technically, it’s not our fault!” She called out as the male tossed their bags over, she quickly caught both and waited for him.

“Sure. I don’t think Professor Lee sees at that way.” He said as his head appeared over the ledge, Ahyoung rolled her eyes at him and he leapt down.

“Well, too bad she didn’t see the pie on her seat.” Ahyougn guffawed, Sunwoo grimaced but he slung one arm around her neck.

“I wanted to try that; you know. It was pecan. And chocolate.” He pointed out as they crossed the street, ignoring the stares they were getting from the adults.

“I can make you another one.” She pointed out as they made their way towards the arcade, Sunwoo grinned at him.

“Okay, you have yourself a deal. I won’t tell hyung about the pie incident,”

“Hey, what deal? If I tell auntie about that incident yesterday~” Sunwoo covered , and Ahyoung glared at him.

“Okay, okay. I’ll pay for today and you bring me pie tomorrow, good?” He raised his brows at her, Ahyoung narrowed her eyes again, but she gave him a thumbs up.

“You’re the best, Cherry. Now, let’s play.” Sunwoo let go of her as they got inside the arcade.

Ahyoung sat back on the chair and puffed her cheeks, she briefly pressed her palms against her eyes before taking her coffee again.

“I miss you, you idiot.” She muttered under her breath; she took a small bite of her carrot cake. The girl checked her phone and grimaced as she saw the number of calls and messages.

Ahyoung was about to stand to ask for some napkins from the counter when she heard someone speak.

“I wasn’t expecting to see you here, can I join you?”

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++