016

The Stealer

 

 

“This Friday?” Ahyoung echoed as Juyeon took another left, the male nodded in reply.

“It’s at our campus, the guys are coming to watch.” Juyeon said as they reached her street, Ahyoung grinned and nodded.

“Okay, I’ll be there. With pompoms and all.”

“You being at the game, I buy. But you and pompoms? Nope.” Juyeon mused back, the girl snorted as they rolled into the Lee residence’s curb.

“It’s that time of the year, huh? All the sports competitions between schools.” She begun as the car pulled to a full stop, Juyeon didn’t reply as he slid down from the car to open the door for her.

“Yes, it is.”

“Ah, does that mean I won’t have a seatmate for weeks?”

“Not every day. But yes.” Juyeon said with a smile as they walked towards the house, Ahyoung pursed her lips but she paused when she noticed a familiar figure standing by their frontdoor.

“Oppa,”

Juyeon followed her gaze, the older male’s eyes were on them, him.

“I’ve been trying to call you.” Younghoon spoke softly, but the expression on his face told another story. Ahyoung gave him a sheepish smile as she reached for her bag’s pocket.

Juyeon glanced at her, the girl had her phone switched off.

“Have you eaten?” Younghoon stretched one hand to her, Juyeon watched as Ahyoung took it with ease.

“I have. Juyeon and I ate grabbed dinner before coming here.” She said, she turned to the male.

“Would you like to come in? I can make~”

“I need to get back to school for practice.” Juyeon spoke to her, the girl nodded back and glanced at his car again.

“Do you need a ride tomorrow? I can drop by.” He offered, Ahyoung was about to respond but Younghoon beat her to it.

“That won’t be necessary, I can drive her to school.”

Juyeon nodded back, but his eyes were on the girl.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, seatmate.” Ahyoung said with a knowing smile, Juyeon tipped his head at her before heading back to his car.

“She doesn’t know.” Juyeon murmured to himself as he started the engine, he glanced back at the two again. Ahyoung was talking animatedly as they headed into the house, their fingers still laced together. Younghoon was nodding along, his eyes on hers as she spoke.

“She has no idea.” Juyeon shook his head and drove out of the property.

 

 

 

Ahyoung ran her fingers through her hair as she walked into the kitchen, she was about to get a glass from the cupboard when she noticed her brother sitting by the counter, with his laptop across him.

“Ahyoung-ah,” Hyunjae blurted out, the girl grabbed a glass for herself and walked towards the fridge.

“I made some popcorn.” He said he pushed the bowl towards her, Ahyoung exhaled and met his gaze, the older male finched slightly.

“I know, I know. It was ty of me to say that. And, I’m really sorry.”

“Yes.” Ahyoung replied as she took the seat across him, Hyunjae chewed on his lower lip and watched as the girl pulled the bowl towards her.

“It was ty of you take her side, oppa. Again.”

“I was just worried that..people might notice how things aren’t so good in our family.”

“The last time I checked, she isn’t family. Well, not yet.” Ahyoung pointed and leaned back on her seat, Hyunjae nodded in agreement.

“And, why do you care what they think? People already know what happened, our father had an affair. They weren’t even done with the divorce yet when he asked her to move in here.”

“I know, but it was a party, Young. And our business partners were there too.”

“Well, with the amount of embarrassment that woman has caused our mother, I think it’s only enough that I give it back.”

“What?”

“I’m being nice and giving back.” She smirked, Hyunjae sighed at her.

“I’m not even going to…Well, okay. Oppa’s sorry, and it won’t happen again. Just…please stay out of trouble.” Hyunjae mumbled, knowing well that Ji Seonmi wont ever catch a break in this household. Because, Ahyoug will always outrank her, even if their father marries the woman.

And Ahyoung knows that very well. Too well.

“Good.”

Hyunjae grinned at her as she returned the popcorn to him.

“I saw Juyeon driving home. It’s nice you have new friends.”

“I know.”

“So, should I~”

“He’s actually one of the few people I can stand at school, oppa. So, don’t even think about it.” She raised one finger at him, Hyunjae chuckled and poured more water for them both.

“Really now?”

“Yes. Drop it.”

“Well, I approve. He’s a cool dude.” Hyunjae hummed, Ahyoung rolled her eyes at him.

“And, you’re really close with Chaerin, right? Changmin’s friend?”

“Yes, another person I can stand.” Ahyoung asked, she was in the middle of searching for cheese powder at the cupboard.

“Do you..think she’s seeing someone? She’s tight with Juyeon too, and that Kevin Moon.” Hyunjae carefully asked, Ahyoung blinked at him.

“Chaerin and Juyeon? I don’t think so, oppa. Sometimes I feel like they want to kill each other.” She mumbled, still distracted.

“And Kevin’s taken. So, that’s another no.” She supplied with a smile, as she raised the container of cheese powder.

“Oh, okay.” Hyunjae nodded along as his sister doused his sodium free popcorn with cheese.

 

 

 

“I really think we should finish it by next week.” Chanhee supplied as they reached the floor, Ahyoung nodded along and hooked arms with him.

“But didn’t professor Seon give us another week extension?” Chaerin said as she walked with the two.

“I know, but…if we finish that report early, we’ll have more time for our Physics presentation and that Geology test.” Chanhee made a face, Ahyoung grinned and nodded in agreement.

“Right, we have exams coming up too.” The other girl groaned as they neared their classroom.

“See? Let’s finish it this weekend, maybe Changmin’s house?” Ahyoung said as they walked in the room, but Chanhee stopped walking and the girl was yanked back.

“Hey, if you have plans on ditching today, now’s the time to go.” Chanhee murmured, Ahyoung grew confused and finally looked up from her phone.

Chaerin grimaced and took small step back. Changmin was already seated on his seat, smiling like the Cheshire Cat as the rest of the class were staring at Hongjoong.

And the bouquet of flowers in his hands.

“I don’t want to look.” Chaerin mumbled, Kevin was standing behind them, confused.

“What’s going~”

“Ahyoung-ah,” Hongjoong beamed as he walked towards the girl, Changmin leaned forward on his seat, his Chucky backpack on his desk seem to be grinning as well.

“I was waiting for you, finally, you’re here.” Hongjoong said in a cool playful tone.

“What are you~”

“I’m here to ask you out. And, I made reservations for us this Saturday, and also bought movie tickets.” Hongjoong claimed, his tone remained the same, arrogant. He was confident that the girl would say yes.

Ahyoung’s lower lip jutted out, her eyes went to the flowers briefly.

“And, you decided on that.” She spoke as she faced the male, Hongjoong smiled again.

“I figured an itinerary would be great, you seem the type to like it.” He leaned closer and winked at her, Keving grimaced and Chanhee almost laughed.

“You want me to go out with you.” Ahyoung said, their classmates were all staring now, some were whispering and taking photos of them.

“Surely, a girl can’t say no to this,” Hongjoong said in a teasing manner as he raised the flowers.

“And movie tickets.”

“Me. Go out with you?” Her tone changed, and Chaerin grew alarmed.

“You couldn’t have just texted or asked me privately, nice. And to actually assume that I’d go out with you because..you bought me flowers. Wow.” She said flatly, Hongjoong paused, his brows going up.

“Ahyoung, I’m sorry if I~” He tried reaching for her arm, but the girl pulled back.

“I think you should go, Hongjoong-ah,” Kevin softly said, not liking the tension.

“And even giving me instructions, dinner, movie, wow.” Ahyoung muttered as she tried to sidestep the male, but the latter took her hand in his.

Ahyoung recoiled as she faced him.

“Ahyoung-ah, come on.” Hongjoong tried pulling her back, the girl was about to react but her view was suddenly blocked by a wide back.

“Hey, there’s a time and place for this.” A quiet but steady voice spoke, Hongjoong’s hand on her was instantly removed.

“Juyeon-ah, why don’t you stay out of this?” Hongjoong said under his breath, Chanhee’s brows rose but he remained quiet.

“Really, you should go.” Kevin urged him again, as Juyeon’s gaze turned cold. Hongjoong stared back at him.

“Stop acting like a guard dog, she’s just someone you sit beside in class.” Hongjoong shot back at him, Juyeon didn’t react.

“Could have used the term “seatmate”, but go figure.” Juyeon heard Ahyoung mutter from behind him, then she felt him pat his back before going to her seat.

Juyeon’s lips curled up slightly before turning away from his teammate and making his way towards the seat next to Ahyoung’s. Changmin watched as the male with the flowers left their room.

“Wow.” Chaerin mouthed at Chanhee and Kevin as they sat down.

“Pissy morning?” Juyeon asked as Ahyoung put her backpack down.

“You have no idea.” She muttered back as she reached for the collar of his inner shirt and patted it down.

“I see you were rushing. You woke up late.” She mused at him, he grinned at her.

“Sort of. I wouldn’t have rushed though if I knew that someone else would be your seatmate today.” Juyeon replied, Ahyoung gave him the finger instead.

The male laughed and shook his head.

“But, are you hungry?” She whispered to him, Juyeon slowly stood up and extended his arm to her. Ahyoung smiled and hooked arms with him as they left the room.

“Oh.” Chanhee blurted out from behind his desk.

 

 

 

“Are you sure this is the place?”

Jaehyun turned his gaze away from the wrought iron gates across the streets and looked at his friends.

“Yes, we’re at the right place. It’s says so here.” He raised his phone to the male, Jungwoo sighed and went inside the pastry shop. Jaehyun lingered for a few seconds and followed the male in.

Jungwoo’s mother had sent them to get the cake she ordered, the pastry shop was quite popular, and his friend didn’t want to go alone. So, Jaehyun volunteered without even checking where they were going.

It just so happens that the shop was right across his ex-girlfriend’s new school.

“Stop..staring, you’re being creepy.”

Jungwoo’s comment made him look away, the male was grinning at him as the lady behind the counter proceeded to pack the cakes.

“I…wasn’t.”

“You miss her.”

Jaehyun exhaled and leand against the counter, he took out his phone and scrolled through Instagram. Jungwoo looked at the gates and noticed that students were already starting to leave the campus.

“I think we should go.” He spoke, Jaehyun absentmindedly nodded, and got some of the bags. The two males made their way out of the shop, Jaehyun finally looked up from his phone and saw the students piling out the gates. He paused, his forehead creasing as he watched them.

“Jaehyun-ah, let’s~”

“You should have just taken the flowers!” A familiar male appeared by the gates, he was grinning as he slung one arm around the girl beside him, the latter was also laughing with him.

“Isn’t that..” Jungwoo trailed off, Jaehyun swallowed and his fingers around his phone tightened.

“Her cousin. Changmin.” Jaehyun murmured.

“And what would you have her do with it?” Another male mused, and then she appeared she was walking with two males.

“Take pictures and stuff.” Changmin said, Ahyoung hissed at her cousin and the male jogged away from them. The two males beside Ahyoung laughed.

“It’s not funny.” She muttered, the other one spoke.

“It kinda is, how does he not know how grumpy you are in the morning?” He said as he playfully bopped her nose before walking ahead of her.

“She’s made friends.” Jungwoo said as he stood beside Jaehyun, the latter nodded, his forehead creasing.

“I’ll go reserve us seats, knowing them, they’d probably forget about us.” The remaining male spoke in English as he walked ahead of her.

Jaehyun watched as the girl slowed down, she glanced at the school gates while leaning against the painted metal railings.

“She must be waiting for her brother, he goes to~” Jungwoo paused when a tall male approached her, he had the hood of his sweater up while his duffel hung over one shoulder. Jungwoo paused and he took a quick glance at his friend.

“They have left us. The hungry pigs we sometimes call our friends.” Ahyoung spoke, and she was smiling.

Jaehyun’s insides tightened. She used to smile at him that way.

“I see. Did you ask them to reserve us seats?” The male replied as he walked with her, Ahyoung snorted before linking arms with him.

The movement was so natural, it was almost as if they’ve been friends for so long. And the two boys could see just how comfortable she was with the hooded figure.

“I hope they did.” Ahyoung frowned, leaning her head on his arm as they walked down the street.

Jungwoo’s brows went up and he looked at his friend, Jaehyun exhaled and he proceeded to walk back to their waiting car.

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++