034

The Stealer

 

 

 

“Why are we out again?” Ahyoung asked as they walked towards the mall’s entrance, Juyeon grinned before offering his arm to her.

“I never ask you that when you leave campus on class hours.” He teasingly said as the girl hooked arms with him, Juyeon let out a small laugh.

“Okay, so this is how you want the day to go.”

“I’m kidding, I need shoes for the games, and other stuff too.”

“Do I get to dress you up in cute outfits?” She asked excitedly as they entered the mall, Juyeon hummed back.

“It won’t be much of an effort, really. You look good, most days.”

“Most days.” He repeated, Ahyoung smiled and they got on the escalator. Juyeon’s forehead creased briefly before speaking, he gently placed his palm on the center of her back, getting her attention.

“We’re playing against your old school next week. I figured…you should find out, since you never read bulletin board announcements.”

He saw her make a face, then she turned to him, not minding his hand on her back.

“If you beat them and make Jaehyun upset, I’d be forever in your favor.” She muttered, Juyeon tilted his head.

“Are you sure about that?” He asked, Ahyoung shrugged in reply.

“Maybe..just three favors? I almost forgot how good you are with basketball.” She raised three of her fingers, they got of the escalator and Juyeon led her to one of the shops.

“Okay, three.” He agreed as they walked in, Ahyoung watched as he wandered towards the display, she puffed her cheeks and proceeded to roam around while eyeing the shoes.

“I could never pull off these kinds of shoes. Never the sporty one.” She whispered to herself as she picked up a pair, her eyes went to Juyeon. He was at least a couple of aisles away from her, he was speaking with one of the male attendants, not noticing how the other women in the store were staring at him.

“Should I ask if they want a photo?” She mused to herself, her eyes went to the young girls again, one was egging her friend to go and approach Juyeon, probably wanting to talk to him or ask for his number.

Good-looking idiot.” Ahyoung moved along, examining the shoes.

Who am I joking? He’s not just good-looking. Ridiculous.” She continued and looked up again, Juyeon was looking right at her.

“Ahyoung-ah, can you come take a look at this?” He waved her over, Ahyoung chewed on her lower lip, feeling the girls from earlier staring at her.

“I know nothing about…basketball shoes.” She called out, Juyeon tilted his head at her. She quickly nodded and walked over to them.

“Which color should I get?” Juyeon had one arm open, waiting for her. She reached the male and stood on the space by his side.

“Which one looks better?” He asked, his arm casually going around her. Ahyoung focused her gaze on the shoes, her brows furrowed before speaking.

“The red and white one, it might distract us from the ugly blue of our uniform.” She quickly said before meeting his gaze, Juyeon smiled and nodded.

“You have a point, I’ll pay now.” Juyeon let go of her and he followed the sales attendant, Ahyoung let out a breath and padded out of the store.

 

 

 

Hyunjae drummed his fingers against the door as he waited for them to open, he had driven to his cousin’s home right after swim practice. He knew Ahyoung had left the house, and he did not want to run into his father and his fiancé. He was still adamant that they take lunch them.

Well, Ahyoung said she would rather dine with snakes than eat with Ji Seonmi, so Hyunjae said the same thing too. But, he only thought it, Ahyoung was the only one to really have the guts to say those kind of things out loud.

“Oh, hyung!” Changmin greeted him as he opened the doors, the older male grinned and followed him in.

“I hope I’m not disturbing, are uncle and auntie in?”

“No, they’re on a business trip. But, I do have some friends over. We’re working on the school fair booth and some assignments.”

“I hope I’m not disturbing.” Hyunjae frowned, but his cousin shook his head.

“No, it’s not that serious, hyung. We’re working at the office.” Changmin was grinning to himself as Hyunjae trailed after him, he pushed the doors open.

“Guys, we have company!” He announced, Chanhee looked up and he had to stifle a laugh just as Chaerin looked up from the cardboard she was painting.

“What are~” She froze just as the older male walked in.

Kevin grinned and hid behind his laptop’s screen.

“I won’t get in the way, I’ll order lunch for us.” Hyunjae chuckled as he sauntered over the desk, his eyes went to what they were painting.

“Ahyoung did mention something about a café.” Hyunjae asked as he scooted down to take a better look, Chaerin pressed her lips together and tried to inch away, but Changmin plopped down next to her, preventing her from moving.

“Yes, we will be serving coffee, sunbae.” She replied, Kevin and Chanhee exchanged looks, Hyunjae leaned back on his palms and nodded.

“Sounds good. Will you be working the booth?” He asked as he took the brush from her and finished filling up the empty spaces with the light gray paint.

“Yes, but it’s Juyeon and our other classmates serving.”

“Ah, Lee Juyeon.” Hyunjae repeated with a knowing smile, Chanhee looked up.

“What do you mean by that, sunbae? Do…you not approve of her for your sister?” He asked, Hyunjae looked up from cardboard, his eyes went to Chaerin briefly.

“Don’t look at me like that. Juyeon’s a friend.” She blurted out, Kevin grimaced and looked away. Chaerin’s eyes widened, realizing what she just said, and how it may sound to him.

“I mean~”

“I do. It’s not every day I meet someone who gets her and help lessen her skipping class tendencies. Does that make sense?” He recited as he continued painting, he inched closer, his elbow brushing against Chaerin’s arm. She froze but didn’t move away.

“So, you approve of Juyeon and Ahyoung?” Chanhee continued to press, Changmin blinked and tilted his head.

“What’s not to approve? You probably know my sister by now,” He continued with a small smile.

“She’s seems more relaxed now, and she’s comfortable around him. She seems..happy.”

“But, hyung that can’t be.” Changmin blurted out, Kevin and Chanhee eyed their friend.

“W—Why?” Hyunjae spoke, his eyes going to Chaerin briefly, worriedly.

“Younghoon hyung likes Ahyoung. It’s been going on for years now.”

Kevin almost dropped his laptop, Chaerin started coughing. Chanhee balked at their friend, but Changmin continued to mixed paints together.

“H—Hey!” Chaerin hissed at the male, Hyunjae was still blinking, the paintbrush hovering over the carboard.

“Oh, did you not know?” Changmin briefly looked up, totally unaware how he had just changed the room’s atmosphere with just a few words.

“I’ll take this, sunbae,” Chaerin carefully said as she took the brush from him and set it aside.

“Did..what…I not…know?” Hyunjae blurted out, his eyes going to his cousin. Changmin rolled his eyes and set the paints down.

“Younghoon hyung,” He did a finger heart, Chanhee pressed a palm to his face.

“Ahyoungie.” Changmin stated with a small shrug.

Was that supposed to make things better?” Kevin muttered under his breath and looked away.

 

 

 

“You were supposed to have lunch with them?” Juyeon said, his forehead creasing. The two were leaving the restaurant when Ahyoung mentioned her father’s plans.

“Yes. But I declined.”

“Ahyoung-ah, it’s a Sunday. You should have told me, we could have rescheduled.” Juyeon softly said, a little worried.

“Uncle might think bad of me and~”

“First of all, it’s lunch with his fiancé. And I’m sure I don’t have explain that to you, you were there when I kind of…lost my at the party. Second, why would he think bad of you?” Ahyoung mused, Juyeon frowned and looked ahead.

“Still, it’s a family day. I’m worried he might be…offended.”

“Dude, he doesn’t even know I’m out with you. There’s nothing to feel bad about.”

“What?” Juyeon halted and turned to her, Ahyoung blinked back at him.

“He didn’t exactly ask if I was going out today, and he’s not the strictest parent out there. And, I wouldn’t go out with a random~”

“I don’t mean that. Why did you..not ask permission? And, you’re out with me alone today. I think he should know or mentioned it to him.” Juyeon continued, Ahyoung frowned.

“I never pegged you as the…conservative old school type, but, Juyeon-ah, it really is okay. I don’t think he’d mind. And my mother knows we’re friends.”

“Those are two different things.” He pointed out as the girl hooked arms with him, she smiled and nudged him.

“It really isn’t a big deal. But, if it really bothers you, I can text my father now. And, the next time we go out, I’ll leave him a Post It or something.” She said in a light tone, Juyeon glanced at her, his brows going up.

“Okay, he should know.”

Ahyoung took out her phone and sent her father a short text.

“And, you’d go out with me next time too?” He perked up, Ahyoung turned to him.

“As long as you don’t make me play basketball, I’ll go with you.”

Juyeon smiled and playfully tugged her closer to him.

“It’s not that bad, I promise you won’t get hit. I won’t let you.”

“Someone said the same thing, it got me right in the face.” She replied, Juyeon paused at her words, Ahyoung rolled her eyes in reply.

“I would never let that happen, Ahyoung. I’m not him.” He quietly said, Ahyoung briefly paused.

“I—I know, I was just talking about the..dangers of your sport and my lack of…coordination..and sports…skills.” She stuttered, helplessly waving her free hand in the air.

Juyeon hummed in reply, but he wouldn’t meet her gaze.

“I know you’re not him, Lee Juyeon. I was..just joking. A ball really did get me in the face.” She mumbled, Juyeon glanced at her, his face softening.

“Was it painful?” He said teasingly, Ahyoung looked up to meet his eyes.

“Want to find out?” She shot back, he chuckled and simply patted her hand on her arm.

“I won’t let it happen again.”

 

 

 

“Wow. It looks so good!” Ahyoung said as she walked towards the makeshift “café windows”, Chaerin grinned at her friend.

“You guys didn’t tell me that you’d be working over the whole panel. We would have joined to help.” She said, Juyeon nodded along, he was helping Chanhee with the tables.

“A—Ah, yesterday..at Changmin’s house. It’s fine, don’t..feel bad about it. We had fun.” Chaerin balked and turned away from her, Ahyoung grew confused at her friend’s actions.

“Ahyoung-ah, what do you think?” Kevin raised his iPad, it was a sketch of a costume.

“Ah, the butler style? Those…mangas, right?” She said as she took the device from him, Chanhee glanced over, Juyeon was looking at Ahyoung with a small smile on his face.

“Hey, don’t be too obvious.” He gently kicked his leg, Juyeon blinked at him.

“Or, if you plan to be…at least tell her already.”

“Now? Are you crazy?” Juyeon shot back, Chanhee rolled his eyes and set the table down.

“Did it ever occur to you that Ahyoung may or may not have an idea about Younghoon sunbae having feelings for her?” He said under his breath, Changmin had arrived with bottled juice for everyone.

“N…No?” Juyeon replied, Chanhee gave him a look.

“Do you think she does?”

“Well, I haven’t been close with her for long, but I think…I already know her well. Ahyoung..doesn’t seem to be the type to like being awkward around other people. So, she already knows, I don’t see her avoiding him or…changing around him. She might already know, but she doesn’t let it bother her, or she likes being liked by him. And that she’s willing to reciprocate his feelings.”

Juyeon paused, his forehead creasing. But Chanhee slapped his arm, the male gaped at him in shock.

“But we will never confirm that unless you do something.” He pointed as he shooed him away.

“It’s not that easy, you know. She’s nice to everyone, I don’t know how to…”

“Nice to everyone? Her?” Chanhee side-eyed him, Jueyon shrugged and continued arranging the chairs with him.

“Juyeon-ah, in case you haven’t noticed, she barely talks to our other classmates. And you’re kind of the only one who can like the way you do. Hell, sometimes, she even listens to you.”

“You make it sound like I tell her what to do. I don’t.” Juyeon pointed out, his eyes went to the girl briefly, Ahyoung and Kevin were discussing something with one of their classmates.

“I know you don’t, but she listens to you. That’s nice.”

Juyeon turned quiet, and he pressed his lips together.

“You’re worried.” Chanhee stated, he plopped down and crossed his legs.

“Who wouldn’t be? Have you met her?”

“I have. And I know you should just tell her and get it over with. Or, would you rather Younghoon sunbae makes a move first? Let’s not forget the ex who seems to want her back.” Chanhee hummed, Jueyon eyed him warily before plopping across him, Chaerin and Ahyoung were busy choosing curtains and other props.

“That’s…not what I’m saying.” Juyeon said under his breath, Chanhee smirked and leaned back.

“Just tell her, the worst thing that can happen is that she’ll avoid you if she feels awkward about it. But, I doubt it.” He tilted his head, deep in thought.

“I don’t see her choosing Hongjoong over you, and I don’t see anyone bold enough to actually try courting her.”

“But~”

“What are you guys up to?” Ahyoung hopped over to them, she stood behind Juyeon’s chair, her hands on both of his shoulders.

“Talking about our classmates.” Chanhee humored her.

“Oh, can I join? Because, Hyeyoung just opted to go for orange table runners, she thinks it would match with the purple ones. Purple! Orange!” She said as she picked up one of the bottled juices and twisted the lid.

“Give it to me.” Juyeon said after her two failed attempt at opening it, Ahyoung was about to hand it over when they heard someone speak.

Hello, Cherry.

Juyeon watched as the bottle slid down from Ahyoung’s fingers, the glass broke instantly, Chanhee pulled back, preventing the liquid to get to his pants.

“It is you. Are you doing extracurricular activities now? Who are you and what have you done to my Cherry?” The male voice continued, Juyeon heard Ahyoung let out a shaky breath, he turned his head and his eyes went to the male standing a few meters away from them. Half of his face was hidden underneath the black hoodie he was wearing, but there was no mistaking that he was a student too.

“So, no warm greeting for me? Not even a hi? I’d let it go if you give me a wave.” He continued, Chanhee eyed the male questioningly.

“S—Sunwoo-ah.” Ahyoung breathed as she ran towards the male, Juyeon and Chanhee glanced at each other just as the girl leapt into the newcomer’s arms.

“S—Sunwoo.” Ahyoung choked as she wrapped her arms around his neck, Sunwoo smiled and he kissed the side of her head.

“I only asked for a wave, but this works too.” He hummed as she felt the girl’s shoulders shake.

“Don’t cry on me now, I just got this hoodie.”

Ahyoung only sobbed harder.

“Fine, I missed you too, Cherry.” Sunwoo smiled and pulled her closer, not wanting other people to see her crying.

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++