037

The Stealer

 

 

 

“Berry abandoned me.” Ahyoung stated as Juyeon walked through the gym’s doors, he paused, slightly surprised to see her there.

“I’m glad I came to mind after he left.” He said with a smile, Ahyoung chuckled before hooking arms with him.

“Can we get dinner? Oppa texted that the..woman living with us has attempted to cook again.” Ahyoung made a face as they went down the steps.

“Dinner sounds great, what do you feel like eating?” Juyeon said as they reached the parking lot, he watched as Ahyoung hopped towards her car.

“Should I race you there?”

“What?”

She chuckled before opening the door the male, Juyeon tilted his head at her.

“I know your body must be hurting, I was watching you guys practice. It felt like your coach wanted everyone to die.” Ahyoung said as she waved him over, wanting him to hurry.

“Well, finals is approaching.” Juyeon said as he put his things at the back of the car.

“I know, so, I’m going to let you be the passenger princess tonight.”

“Princess?”

“Yes, Juju Bear. Now get in the car.” She sent him a look, Juyeon chuckled and quickly slid inside the vehicle.

“How did your day go? I heard Chanhee was serious about finishing the booth today.” Juyeon began as the girl drove away from campus.

“Well, it was fine. Sunwoo thinks we all should wear cat ears for the booth, I had to shoot down that idea before the others hear it.”

Juyeon chuckled and leaned back on the seat.

“Oppa was acting strange today.” She commented, Juyeon glanced at her, the girl was chewing on her lower lip.

“Did he finally ask Chaerin out?”

“Not my brother, I meant Younghoon oppa. And, if he even does that….don’t you think he should run it by me first?” Ahyoung made a face at the road, the male grew amused.

“Why? What happened with Younghoon sunbae. And, maybe your brother wanted his limbs intact, so running it by you first might not be so ideal.”

“He was..He has been acting strange lately, I barely see him at school. When he comes over at our place, he doesn’t drop by to say hi. And, if he does invite my brother over…I feel like it doesn’t extend to me, his invitation.” She murmured, her forehead creasing.

“And, that bothers you a lot?”

“A little. Its weird not having him around, he’s like a brother to me. I love him to bits, but sometimes he can get so moody that it drives me crazy too.”

Juyeon grew quiet, his lips curled before speaking.

“I always thought that you and him…were complicated.”

“What?” Ahyoung glanced at him as they reached a familiar street, the girl maneuvered towards a mall’s basement parking lot.

“You know what I mean.”

“Oh, that? It’s not like that. But, it would if I don’t see him around.” She said under her breath as she parked the vehicle.

“So, have you decided what to eat?” She asked as she put the car on park, Juyeon smiled and nodded.

“Come to think of it, I miss having unhealthy dinners with you.” Ahyoung shrugged as she unbuckled her seatbelt, Juyeon leaned over, and the girl paused.

“W—What now, Lee Juyeon?” She blurted out, their noses almost touching. Juyeon smiled before kissing the side of her head.

“That’s for not telling coach we’re having fried chicken tonight.” He mused before sliding down from the car, Ahyoung watched as he walked around the car and opened the door for her.

She pressed her lips together before alighting the vehicle, Juyeon was smiling to himself as he pulled the girl toward the entrance.

Dinner with him was not a good idea. I should have gone with Ji Seonmi and her beef broccoli disaster.

 

 

 

Changmin looked up as his cousin and Sunwoo plopped down next to him.

“Have you seen my brother?” Ahyoung asked as she took out her laptop, the latter shook his head.

“She wants to interview him.”

“Interview?” Changmin repeated.

“By interview, I meant, to ask questions with the threat of torture.” Sunwoo explained, Ahyoung sent him a look and the male leaned against the desk.

“Why? What did hyung do now?” Changmin was intrigued, he spotted Chaerin and Chanhee walking towards them.

“We live in one house, right?” Ahyoung began as their two friends sat down to join them.

“I haven’t seen him since yesterday, and that was here, at school. I got home from dinner, and he was swimming. So, I decided to talk to him before bed.”

“Okay,”

Chanhee listened on, it was a rare sight to see Ahyoung ranting.

“I waited till ten, and when I went to his room, it was locked! Locked! And, then I knocked, no reply. I assumed he was asleep, so I let it go. I even messaged him. I had to message my brother, who lives right across the hall!”

Chaerin grimaced and looked away.

“No reply since last night. And now, I waited for him at breakfast, only to find out he left earlier. An hour early. So, why…why is everyone avoiding me?” She exhaled and crossed her arm, Sunwoo blinked at her.

“Well, that’s a lot to unpack, would you like something to drink?” Chanhee offered, Chaerin glanced at her friend before speaking.

“By everyone…you mean just your brother?”

“No. His best friend too.” She said in a clipped tone as she took the flavored tea Chanhee offered.

“You didn’t tell me you had beef with Younghoon hyung too.” Sunwoo stated.

“I do not have beef with him. Maybe he’s the one with beef, or pork. Or whatever.” She muttered under her breath as she picked up her bag.

“You’re off to class, I hope.” Chaerin said to her, Ahyoung didn’t reply and headed straight for the gardens, Sunwoo chuckled and shook his head.

“She’s not off to class.”

Chanhee looked around and spotted Kevin with Juyeon, the two were chatting as they walked towards them.

“Where she off to?” Kevin jutted his lips towards Ahyoung’s retreating figure, Juyeon followed the male’s gaze.

“Ahyoung is in a…strange mood. Trying to talk to her would..like talking to a wall right now.” Changmin said, Sunwoo smiled and nodded, agreeing with the male.

“She’s off to cut class.” Chanhee said, Juyeon’s brows rose, he wordlessly left their table and jogged after the girl.

“If he gets to talk her out of this, then he wins.” Sunwoo whispered to Changmin, the two males chuckled.

 

 

 

“I did it.”

Younghoon jumped in surprise as a backpack landed next to him, followed by its owner.

“What are you talking about?” He let out a sigh, Hyunjae had found him.

“I asked her out. Chaerin.”

Younghon glanced at his friend and nodded.

“That’s good to hear, Ahyoung’s going to kill you though.” Younghoon stretched his legs before him, the two were sitting on the library floor, hidden behind the wooden shelves. The place was almost empty except for a couple of seniors who were cramming.

“What’s wrong?” Hyunjae finally spoke, Younghoon glanced at him, he was about to open his mouth when his friend beat him to it.

“Don’t even try to lie.”

Younghoon turned quiet again, Hyunjae exhaled and drummed his fingers on his lap.

“You’re hurting her.”

The latter turned his head, stunned.

“What are you talking about?”

“You’re avoiding my sister. And she doesn’t know why. That’s hurting her.”

Younghoon swallowed and he looked up.

“I just…It took me a while to really get it. Now, looking back, I should have noticed. You like her.”

“Hyunjae~”

“I’m not even going to ask why you never reacted when Jung Jaehyun came into view. You never even asked about him.”

“She was happy with him. That was enough for me.”

“So, after they broke up, how come you didn’t do anything? You were always around her.” Hyunjae continued, he was studying the books before them.

“I worry that she might…I worried that it might change things. I didn’t want to lose her.”

Hyunjae his lips and nodded back.

“That kind of backfired on you, huh?”

Younghoon looked at his palms and nodded.

“It hurts, thinking about it, maybe I should have done something. Maybe, I should have said something when she was finally available.” He leaned his head on the shelf and swallowed.

“But then I realized that..it was never going to be me. She will never see me as more than a brother. That’s why I’m trying to think that maybe it was for the best that I didn’t say anything.”

Hyunjae turned to him and reached out to give his shoulder a squeeze.

“I understand that you’re hurting, but she doesn’t know, Youghoon-ah. And, your actions are hurting too.” He quietly said as he stood up.

“I’ll see you in class.”

 

 

 

Ahyoung was about to toss her bag to the other side of the wall when someone took hold of her hand, she turned and paused.

“Where are you going?” Jaehyun asked, the girl yanked her hand away.

“How did you get in here?” She blurted out, taking a few steps away from him.

“Didn’t your new boy tell you? We’re competing against them today.” Jaehyun saw how she checked the time on her watch, he smiled to himself before speaking.

“I decided to come earlier so that I could talk to you, and as team captain, it’s my job to inspect where the game is being held at.”

“Just..go.” She muttered as she tried to sidestep the male, Jaehyun exhaled and blocked the girl’s path.

“Ahyoung, we need to talk.”

“There’s nothing to talk about.” She snapped at him, meeting his gaze. Jaehyun shook his head at her.

“I know I made a mistake back then, Young. I shouldn’t have lost my temper, I shouldn’t have hurt your friend. But you have to understand, he was getting in the way.”

“What way? Sunwoo is one of my oldest friends, you’re the newcomer.”

“Newcomer? I am your boyfriend, Ahyoung. And yet you prioritize him over me.” Jaaehyun said through gritted teeth.

“You were my boyfriend. Past tense!” She pushed him off her, Jaehyun slowly shook his head and let out a humorless laugh.

“And, I never did that. I tried to understand you, but what you wanted was too much. I’m not going to toss my friends over you. And looking back, it was the best decision I ever made.” Ahyoung pointed out.

“I heard he was back. Sunwoo’s in this school, right? Is he also being an to your new boy then?”

“Do not call him that. And, you have no right to talk about Sunwoo.”

Jaehyun rolled his eyes and he started walking towards her, Ahyoung swallowed and backed away, she grimaced when she hit the wall.

“Why? What are you going to do about it?” Jaehyun buried his hands in his pockets as he leaned down to meet his gaze.

“Are you going to go all dark and depressed again? Just because I took care of your annoying friend?”

“Do not~” Ahyoung froze when the male leveled his gaze with hers, her lips were close to hers and she flinched.

“Just accept it, Young-ah. You and I. I will be always the one~” Jaehyun was suddenly yanked away from her, Ahyoung saw the male being dragged across the gardens.

“What are you~” Jaehyun halted when he was pulled forward, now he came face to face with his assailant.

“What are you doing?” Juyeon questioned as he let go of the older male, Jaehyun scoffed and straigtened the collar of his uniform.

"I’m not sure if you forgot, but we have a game~"

“I wasn’t asking that. What are you doing?” He repeated, his jaw ticking, they had caught the attention of some students now.

“I came here to chat with Ahyoung. Why? Is that not allowed?” Jaehyun smirked at him, one of his brows rose but Juyeon remained quiet.

“Surely, I am allowed to talk to her, right?”

“Without invading her personal space.” Juyeon said curtly, Jaehyun tilted his head at the male.

“She’s not yours yet, huh.”

“Ahyoung isn’t anyone’s.”

Jaehyun let out a laugh and slowly shook his head.

“You should be careful, she tends to toy with us. She acts all high and mighty, and always so protective of Sunwoo. Which makes you think,” Jaehyun was smiling as he stalked towards him, Juyeon’s brows furrowed, his jaw clenching and unclenching.

“What if they’re secretly ing? And, the whole best friend thing is just a kink~”

Juyeon’s fist met the older male’s nose, Jaehyun staggered back, his hand flying to his face.

“You will pay for this, you~”

“No, he won’t.” A voice added just as a basketball hit Jaehyun right in the face, Juyeon turned just as Sunwoo threw another ball again.

“Go check on Ahyoung, I’ll take care of this one.” Sunwoo said to him before facing a bleeding Jaehyun, Juyeon couldn’t help but stare.

“Sunwoo~”

“I’m doing this so you can still play this afternoon, and I’ve always wanted to see how long it will take for blood to completely drench~”

Juyeon turned away from the mess and headed back towards the school’s perimeter, he found Ahyoung seated on one of the upturned trash cans.

“Ahyoung-ah,” He spoke, she looked up, her eyes all red and puffy.

“I…I wanted to cut class.” She blurted out as Juyeon jogged towards her, she frowned, noticing the bloodstains on his shirt.

“Must you? I was hoping to enjoy class with your occasional sarcastic remarks. They’re the highlight of my day.”

She pursed her lips before standing up, Juyeon watched as she let out a shaky breath and then she met his gaze.

“Are you okay?” He finally asked, Ahyoung silently shook her head before opening her arms to him, Juyeon nodded and closed the space between them.

“I…didn’t know..what to do…I…” She muttered as she let tears roll down her eyes, Juyeon exhaled and simply tightened his arms around her.

“I understand, Ahyoung-ah. It’s okay, you’re safe.”

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++