009

The Stealer

 

 

 

“You didn’t really have to accompany me here.” Younghoon said as he pulled one of the empty carts, Ahyoung grinned as she walked ahead of him.

“I have nothing to do at home, oppa went with abeoji to some company brunch event,” She mumbled as the male caught up to her, she was eyeing the display of flavored milk as she hooked arms with him.

“And, I don’t really like hanging out at his house.”

“It’s your house too. You grew up there, you brat.” Younghoon pointed out as they reached the cleaning supplies aisle.

“I just don’t feel like it, oppa. How long is your list?” She asked as she peered over the sheet of paper he was holding. Younghoon grinned and let the girl take it from him.

“How is auntie doing? I haven’t seen her in a while, how’s uncle too?” She said as she placed items on the cart.

“They’re doing well. Eomma wants to invite you and Hyunjae over for dinner sometime.”

“I’m always game for dinner with the Kims, you know that.” She winked at him as they reached the snacks section. Younghoon smiled as he watched her browse through the different flavored biscuits, Ahyoung frowned, not finding the one she was looking for.

“Ahyoung-ah,”

She turned to him, she was pointing towards the box of cookies on the top shelf. Younghoon nodded and grabbed a couple.

“How’s the school treating you so far?”

“It’s fine. Although,” She continued as she picked up another bag of onion rings.

“There’s this ridiculously annoying guy from my grade, he thinks he’s all that. You know the type, oppa.”

“What type?” Younghoon chuckled, the girl sighed, and he followed her to the fresh produce area.

“The overly confident type but you know, just from hearing speak, one would find out right away that he’s kind of…dim.”

“Who is this and how did he get into your nerves?” Younghoon said, he was smiling but he grew concerned. His thoughts went to Changmin’s friends, but it was impossible, surely the Lees’ cousin would do something if one of his pals were being too friendly with Ahyoung.

“Joonghong? Hongjoong? He plays basketball, I think. He talks too much.”

“Who?” Younghoon blinked at her, the girl was about to speak when her eyes went elsewhere.

“Chaerin-ah?”

Younghoon glanced back and followed her gaze, he saw the two familiar faces staring back at them.

“Ahyoung-ah, he~ Oh, hello, sunbae.” Chaerin blurted as she noticed the older male, Younghoon smiled back at her, the girl paused and slowly turned to her friend.

“Lee Juyeon.” Ahyoung nodded at him, the male rolled his eyes in reply.

“Are you out on errands too?” Ahyoung asked as she approached the girl, Chaerin nodded back.

“Eomma has started baking, and I volunteered to buy the supplies instead of having to help her.”

“And Lee Juyeon is..manpower?” She mused at her, Chaerin let out a laugh.

“Lee Juyeon is right here.” Juyeon stated as he leaned against the cart, Ahyoung was about to speak when she noticed how Chaerin kept on glancing at Younghoon and her.

“Okay, wait a minute, Gu Chaerin!” She suddenly spoke, Younghoon blinked at her, surprised.

“This guy is my brother’s best friend, but he’s actually really mine. Not like that! I meant my best friend too!” She said just as Chaerin’s grin grew wider, Juyeon grinned, amused.

“I see she has to explain my presence.” Younghoon said, intrigued by Ahyoung’s reaction.

“We grew up together. I’m his pain in the . He’s…my occasional ride to school.”

“I see.” Chaerin started to laugh, Younghoon shook his head at the girl.

“Chaerin-ah, your mom’s waiting.” Juyeon gently spoke, the girl scrunched her nose at him.

“Right, Juyeon is your Younghoon too. I asked you that.” Ahyoung blurted out, Juyeon’s eyes went to her, brows raised.

“I am what, now?” He said to her, Ahyoung pressed her lips together. Chaerin glanced at the two, but Juyeon was smiling.

“My seatmate. My seatmate.” She said to him, Juyeon chuckled and gestured for Chaerin to move along, the girl bid them goodbye and Younghoon proceeded to move forward.

“I didn’t know you were close with Juyeon. He plays basketball, right?”

“Yes, he’s okay.”

“Ahyoung-ah, what happened before, he’s~”

“Oppa, don’t worry. He’s not like that.”

“Still, he plays b~”

“Juyeon’s cool. Don’t worry.” Ahyoung said again before holding onto his hand, she gave him an assuring smile before walking ahead of him.

 

 

 

“I thought you didn’t like their pasta here.” Chaerin commented as their food arrived, Juyeon shook his head and opened the girl can of soda for her.

“It’s fine, are you sure you can finish that?” Juyeon asked as she started cutting her steak.

“I’m pretty hungry.” She grinned at him; the two friends started eating.

“But, it makes sense, huh? Hyunjae sunbae and Younghoon sunbae have always been close. That makes Ahyoung tight with him too.”

Juyeon nodded back in between bites.

“Lucky Ahyoung.”

“She wanted to introduce you to her brother, but you..bolted.” Juyeon mused, he leaned back.

“Have you ever thought of joining the track and field~”

“Just eat.” Chaerin hissed at him, he chuckled and picked up his fork again, Juyeon glanced at the girl before speaking again.

“Are you okay?”

“What?”

“The thing with Goeun and her pals, I…I hope…it didn’t bring back any bad memories.” Juyeon carefully said, Chaerin’s forehead creased briefly.

“I’m fine, Juyeon-ah.”

“I know you’re not. It took..you weeks just to recover from what she did to you, Chaerin. I was there.”

“I’m over that, Juyeon.”

“I still hate how you freeze when she passes by, maybe we should have told the school about~”

“Drop it.” Chaerin stated, her tone firm, Juyeon raised his palms at her and went back to his food.

“And, I think Ahyoung really scared them off, so, i don’t have to worry about them.”

“Sure, but you run at the sight of her brother.”

“Shut up.”

Juyeon smiled and looked at his friend again, he was happy that Chaerin finally got a female friend. Sure, he knew that Chaerin loved their group of friends, but all of them were guys.

“You get along with her really well, huh? The new girl.” Chaerin spoke, as if reading his mind.

Juyeon nodded back.

“You rarely make new friends.”

“I can say the same about you, miss Gu.”

“I mean, you usually find…other girls, annoying. I’m sorry to say it, but sometimes it shows on your face, Lee Juyeon.”

“Ahyoung’s cool. And, no I don’t find other girls annoying.”

“Yes, you do.”

“I don’t.”

“You do.”

“Can we drop this, please? Or, you can walk home.” Juyeon retorted, to which Chaerin quickly said,

“Lee Juyeon is the friendliest most approachable person I know.”

Juyeon scoffed and continued eating.

 

 

 

Hyunjae leaned back on his seat, his eyes went flitted to his sibling as the lady, their father’s girlfriend put the dishes on the table.

Younghoon glanced at Ahyoung for a few seconds before smiling at the woman.

“It’s good to see you, Younghoon-ah.” Mr. Lee spoke as he sat on his seat, Ahyoung picked up her fork and looked at her plate.

“Yes, thank you for inviting me, uncle. Although, I should be the one inviting you over, Ahyoung was helping me today.”

“Right, we were wondering where she was this morning. I had a feeling she went with you. Ahyoung’s barely home these days.” The Lee patriarch commented, Hyunjae sat up and put some food on his sister’s plate.

“You like this.” He softly said, Ahyoung nodded back and picked up her fork again.

“Right, are you two free next weekend?” Mr. Lee spoke, Hyunjae was the only one who looked up, Ahyoung was poking through her food.

“Is it not to your liking, Ahyoung-ah?” Ji Seonmin, their father’s girlfriend spoke to her, Ahyoung felt her brother’s gaze on her.

“I have nothing to do on that weekend,” Ahyoung spoke, not glancing at the lady. Seonmi looked away and went back to her meal. Her father’s brows rose, but he chose not to comment.

“We have an event at the company, and your grandmother would like to see you, daughter.”

“She did ask about you last time, Young.” Hyunjae chimed in, Younghoon glanced at the girl again, she had not taken one bite from her food.

Hyunjae grew hopeful, Ahyoung could never say no to their grandmother. Ahyoung nodded back and picked up her glass of iced tea.

“Hey, you should eat.” Younghoon gently nudged her hand, she was about to speak when Seonmi beat her to it.

“Younghoon-ah, you enjoyed the beef casserole last time, right? Here, have more.” Seonmi said as she pushed the dish towards the man. Ahyoung’s eyes went to him and Younghoon flinched.

Traitor!

He sent her a pleading look.

“Appa, it’s a family event, right?” Ahyoung finally spoke, Hyunjae turned quiet and so did their father.

“Ahyoung-ah, Seonmi and I have been together for quite some time now and~”

“I have an excuse not to go then.” She said as she tossed her napkin on the table and stood up.

“Lee Ahyoung, sit down!” The elder stated, Seonmi frowned and reached for the man’s hand.

“It’s~”

Hyunjae frowned and pushed his plate away. Younghoon tried to reach for her hand, but the girl recoiled away from him.

“Ahyoung-ah, it’s fine, I can step out.” Seonmi said, Ahyoung’s cold eyes went to her.

“Wow, thanks for making me look like the bad guy again. Enjoy your evening.” She spat as she turned away from the table, moments later, they heard one of the cars roar to life and the gates opened.

 

 

 

 

Juyeon puffed his cheeks as he slid down from his car, he jogged across the street and made his way towards the mini mart’s entrance. He stepped through the sliding doors and made his way towards the ice cream section, he was about to lean over to open the freezer when he heard someone grumbling.

“Beef casserole? Bite me.”

Juyeon slowly looked up and his brows rose, the girl was picking through the ice cream display with a frown on her face.

First she takes my father, then my brother, now Kim Younghoon too?” She spat as she slammed the glass door shut, the male behind the counter jumped in surprise.

Juyeon was about to speak when he noticed the group of older guys eyeing her, they were pushing each other, wanting to approach the girl.

Ahyoung grabbed one of the popsicles and was about to approached the cashier when one of the males came up to her.

“Hi, we…we noticed you when you walked in, and my friend says that you’re his type. Can we have your..number?” He said to her, Juyeon followed the male’s gaze, he realized that he was blatantly staring at her legs.

“You can’t.” She answered and Juyeon smiled.

Typical Ahyoung.

“Ah, really? But, we really find you pretty and, if you’d give us a chance…We’re actually in college, and we can give you a good time~”

“Oh, wow. College boys. Wow. Amazing.” She deadpanned, Juyeon almost burst out laughing as the male’s eyes widened in shock at her reply.

“Look, miss, you don’t have to be rude, I~”

“Ahyoung-ah,” Juyeon pushed himself off the freezer and walked over to her, his hand landed on her shoulder as he met the male’s gaze evenly.

“You said you wanted to ice cream.” Juyeon said to her, the male glanced back at his friends.

“I can’t have it yet.” She blurted out, Juyeon sent her a look, Ahyoung smiled at him.

“Then..we’ll get going then.” The male said before walking back to his friends, Ahyoung rolled her eyes at his retreating figure.

“What are you doing here?” Juyeon asked her.

“You’re already my seatmate, I spend at least eight hours with you on weekdays, and now, you have my weekends too?” She said as she returned the popsicle.

“I got here first.” Juyeon shot back as the girl looked around.

“I’m here to get dinner.”

“Here? Dinner?” Juyeon blinked and glanced around them.

“I’m hungry, and~!” She said as her hands flew to the pockets of her shorts, Juyeon blinked at her.

“Do..you live nearby?”

“A few blocks away, you?” Ahyoung replied as she marched towards the doors again, Juyeon jogged after her.

“Yes, a few blocks away too.” He noticed how the girl took out something from her pocket, it was a key fob, a Mercedes Benz sedan lit up.

“Where are you going? What about dinner?” Juyeon asked, the girl sighed and faced him.

“I kind of walked out on dinner at home, that’s why I’m here.”

“Did you…jump over the wall? Or, you used the gate this time?” Juyeon mused back, Ahyoung sighed at him.

“I used the gate. And, I left my wallet, so~” She paused when Juyeon grabbed the sleeve of her hoodie and started pulling her back to the store.

“Juyeon~”

“You said you wanted dinner.”

“I don’t have money on me, I just~”

“You drive a Benz, Ahyoung. What a shame.” Juyeon said to her, he held onto her wrist instead as they crossed the street again.

“That is not my~”

They got inside the store and Juyeon led her to the ramen section, Ahyoung blinked at him.

“You might be picky, but I’m pretty sure you eat instant noodles.” He pointed out as he grabbed a couple of cups from the shelf.

“I do, but~”

“It’s on me, now go get something to drink.” Juyeon urged her to move, Ahyoung stared at him for a few seconds, her eyes narrowing.

“You’re being too nice. Should I be worried?”

“No. Now, go.” Juyeon sighed at her, the girl walked towards the refreshments section, and he proceeded to grab a packet of kimchi and some sweets.

Then he felt someone tug on his sweater, he spun around.

“Can we get ice cream too? I’ll bring you some granola bars tomorrow.” Ahyoung said as she blew her bangs away from her face, Juyeon slowly nodded back at her.

“Get whatever you want.”

“How about some beer?”

“Get out.” Juyeon replied, Ahyoung let out a laugh and she walked back towards the ice cream section again.

“Juyeon-ah, can I~”

“Yes.”

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++