013

The Stealer

“Well, on the bright side, we finished half of it.” Chaerin said as they hopped down from the bus, Ahyoung padded after her, her eyes already roaming around.

“I haven’t been here in a while.” Chanhee commented as they went into one of the famous busy streets of Myeongdong.

“We never have the time.” Juyeon mused at his friend, Ahyoung was already dragging Chaerin towards one of the ice cream stands.

“I think,” Chanhee said in a low tone as he walked with the other male, Juyeon glanced at him.

“If our Chaerin wishes to continue being friends with Ahyoung, she would have to adjust to the brother as well.” He mused, Juyeon grinned, the girls were gesturing for them to come over. But he shook his head, not in the mood to eat.

“Hyunjae..sunbae is actually an okay guy.” Juyeon said, Chanhee nodded in agreement.

“I don’t understand why she bolts at the sight of him, she~”

Ahyoung was grinning from ear to ear as she hooked arms with Chanhee, Chaerin and Juyeon followed the two.

“How do you find school so far? I hope you’re adjusting well, and you don’t secretly hate us.” Chanhee said to her, Ahyoung snorted as she kept paced with him.

“School’s fine, being classmates with Changmin is something I’ve always wanted to try.” She smiled as she spoke, Juyeon’s eyes went to the girl.

“But, having to live~”

“Oh my god, Ahyoung?”

“Lee Ahyoung, is that you?”

The four all paused, Chaerin watched as the group of two girls and one guy walk towards them. Ahyoung had stopped moving, she was staring at them. And they were smiling curiously at her.

“Ahyoung-ah, it is you.” One of the girls approached her, Ahyoung froze for a second but she smiled back.

“Haerin, Joori, hi. It’s..been so long,” She blurted out, the two girls smiled in return and playfully smacked her arm.

“I know, we’ve been trying to reach you but Haneul said you were busy and…you barely had time to talk.” Joori grinned, her eyes went to people behind her friend.

“Even..sunbae had no idea where you transferred. He was looking for you when school started.” The male spoke, Ahyoung chewed on her lower lip and Juyeon noticed how she was fiddling with the strap of her watch.

She was uncomfortable, so much so that she was fidgeting.

“Yeah, I….I kind of moved in a rush, I..didn’t get to..” She struggled with her words, and Joori noticed, the girl broke into a smile.

“You don’t have to explain, it’s…really nice to see you again, Ahyoung. We miss you.”

Chanhee gently steered Chaerin away from the group, but Juyeon tilted his head as Ahyoung bid her old classmates goodbye. He noticed how she sighed and squared her shoulders before walking towards the other two.

“Hey,”

Ahyoung turned to him, she had discarded her half-eaten ice cream at a nearby trash bin.

“He speaks.” She said, he rolled his eyes and the girl looped arms with him. They were quiet as they followed Chanhee and Chaerin to a cosmetics store.

“You good?”

Ahyoung looked up to meet his gaze, she pressed her lips together before speaking.

“Yeah, it’s just..I was surprised to see them. That’s all.” She said, and Juyeon saw through her lie, but he nodded.

“I really thought you only had one friend back at your school. I’m surprised.”

“Hey!”

“I..had a lot for some time, and.. things weren’t so great, I’m lucky that Haneul didn’t give up on me. You’ve…seen her, right?” Ahyoung spoke softly as they tailed Chanhee and Chaerin.

“The other time, yes. She was the one with you when you went out.”

“Yes, that’s her. Maybe I should introduce you two. You’d get along well.” Ahyoung murmured, but Juyeon could still see the worry in her eyes.

“Does she like climbing walls too?”

“Let me live, Lee Juyeon.”

He chuckled, and mussed her hair before gesturing for her to join the two.

 

 

 

“He went to see her the other day.”

“See? More like he was stalking her. He didn’t want to be seen.”

The other males chuckled as their team captain tossed the ball towards one of their teammates. He shot them a withering look before jogging away.

“Seriously, if you want to talk her, just call. I’m sure she’d pick up.” One of his pals spoke as he jogged towards him. The latter pressed his lips together and stole the ball from the other male.

“I tried. But she’s not picking up.” He pointed out before tossing the ball to their other teammate again.

“Maybe she’s moved on.”

The team captain paused, and so did the other males. They glanced at each other, surprised that someone finally said it, and also at the same time relieved.

“Ahyoung..Ahyoung has always been tough, we know that. She was never the type to back down just because it intimidated her. If..she has moved on, then I don’t think she’ll ever glance back.”

“She left without saying anything,” He replied, his eyes narrowing at the ring across the court.

“Because you made her want to, hyung, that night you went overboard.” His friend, Jungwoo said. The older male paused, his forehead creasing.

“It wasn’t my fault. He was getting in the way.” He replied as he shoved the ball to his friend, Jungwoo sighed and watched as the older male walk towards the bench.

“I thought he was already over her. It’s been..almost a year.”

“I…Ahyoung left him without saying anything, but,” Jungwoo trailed off, he watched as his friend picked up his bag and left the court.

“They..were both at fault, it’s just that….He wouldn’t listen to her.”

“Who? The other guy? Or our famous team captain?” Jeno said with a grin as he wiped the sweat off his forehead.

“Not the other guy. Jung Jaehyun, he wouldn’t hear her out.” Jungwoo said as he saw Jaehyun get inside his car and sped away from school property.

“Well, hyung has always been quite the demanding type, huh?”

Jungwoo slowly shook his head and urged for his teammates to go practice more.

“It was his mistake. He made her want to leave him.”

 

 

 

“Remind me why I said yes to going here.” Ahyoung murmured to her brother as they walked inside the banquet hall together. Hyunjae broke into a smile before whispering back.

“You kind of made a show of it, sister.”

“I’d do it again if I have to, brother. No need to express how you feel over my resentment. I will never like her.” Ahyoung snapped at him, as she brushed down the skirt of her Chanel tweed dress. Hyunjae grimaced, he glanced at his sibling.

“Ahyoung-ah,”

“I’ll go say hi to our grandparents, and make a big show out of it too.” She gave him a humor less smile before stalking away. Hyunjae could only watch as the girl approached the elders who were already seated with some business partners.

“Dude, she just got here and I can almost see steam coming from her nose. What did you say to her? Younghoon said as he walked to his friend, the eldest Lee sighed and they headed to the buffet table.

“She’s been testy the whole day, I don’t know what’s up with her.” Hyunjae murmured, Younghoon glanced at the girl. She was smiling as she sat between the Lee elders, he caught her gaze and she rolled her eyes at him.

“I…just wish she’d chill out, you know. I get that she doesn’t like our father’s new..girlfriend, but to be mean to her, and constantly demanding things from us…from abeoji.”

“Ahyoung, has always been like that, Hynjae-ah. If she said no, then it is a no.” Younghoon pointed out as they took their seats, guests were already starting arrive. And the celebration was about to begin soon, he wasn’t even sure what GukJe Group was celebrating about, probably another branch opening or a new venture the company.

“I don’t know. She should start growing up, and understand that it’s not always about her. And that she doesn’t get her way all the time.”

“Well, that’s kind of on you. You never said no to her growing up.” Younghoon said, wanting his friend to lighten up.

Ahyounmg chuckled as her grandmother faced her again.

“I’m glad you decided to join your father and brother. Your mother came by to visit me before she left, she asked me to check on you.”

“She didn’t have to. I’ve been behaving, halmae.” Ahyoung chimed in, lacing her fingers with her grandmother.

“Or so I’ve heard, it’s amazing no one has asked me to donate another building yet.”

“I don’t think my new school has enough space.” Ahyoung added, the elder playfully slapped her arm.

“I mean it, Ahyoung-ah. I get that you’re young and you want to try new things. But you should be careful, darling.”

“Listen to your grandmother, Ahyoung. She’s right. And, no more space for another building? What kind of school did your father enroll you in?” Her grandfather commented, his wife shushed him and the girl let out a laugh.

“I am. But, this new school is…..comfortable, halmae. I don’t know why, but…maybe it’s because of my new friends. They make me…not want to skip class.” She whispered the last part, and the elder chuckled.

“Some good friends they are then, darling.”

“Yes, and,” Ahyoung paused when she noticed her father’s secretary walk to the door. Her eyes followed him and she felt her grandmother tense before she could.

“Vice Ch—Chairman, Miss Ji.” The secretary was stunned as he faced the woman on her father’s arm, Ahyoung exhaled through her nose.

“What is he doing? Did you not talk to him?” The elder spoke, Mrs. Lee was about to speak when Ahyoung gently untangled her hand from the lady.

“Ahyoung-ah, I will speak with your father. Don’t leave.” Mrs. Lee frowned at her, Ahyoung swallowed before leaning over to kiss both their cheeks. And then she stepped away from their table.

The girl was seeing red, no, she was extremely pissed. Her father would never listen, just one simple request. And yet he couldn’t do it.

Not for her.

But for Ji Seonmi, the mistress? Everything was a yes.

“Bull.” She muttered under her breath, not noticing the amount of stares she earned, they probably heard. But she didn’t give a damn.

She could hear her brother softly calling for her name, but she knew, his tone was frantic. He was frantic.

Ahyoung reached the doors, she was in the process of pushing one of the double doors when she heard an unfamiliar voice mention her mother’s name.

“Kang Jaehee’s daughter?”

Ahyoung slowly turned, forcing a smile on her face and then she paused. Beside the ridiculously gorgeous lady before her was a familiar face.

“This is her? Ahyoung?” The lady spoke, the male beside her tilted his head.

“Yes, eomma. This is Ahyoung.” Juyeon said, Ahyoung could only blink as the woman pulled her in for a hug.

“Oh my goodness, you look just like your mother!”

“Y—You know each other, m—ma’am?” Ahyoung blurted out, the woman snorted at her way of addressing her.

“Yes, we went to the same high school, and also ended up in the same university. I already met your brother years ago, but..wow, you…You, my dear, how did Jaehee end up with such a beautiful daughter?”

“Is it..a bad thing to end up with Juyeon for a son?” Ahyoung blurted out but her hand flew to , Mrs. Lee burst out in laughter while Juyeon eyed his friend warily.

“Some days, yes. He can be so quiet, you know. Just like his father. Anyway, let’s talk later. I have to join my husband at our table. It’s good to finally meet you, Ahyoung-ah. And, please just call me aunt, that’s how your brother addresses me.”

Ahyoung gave her a quick polite bow as she stepped away from them, she turned to Juyeon who looked immaculately sharp in his simple black and white suit.

“I know that look.” He said to her, Ahyoung her lips before speaking.

“You didn’t tell me that..our mothers knw each other.”

Juyeon smiled and offered his arm to her.

“I didn’t know how to approach the subject. Let’s go?” Juyeon said, but the girl slowly shook her head.

“I’m kind of..taking a raincheck on this one. See you in school?” She cleared , Juyeon’s brows rose as he saw Hyunjae approaching them.

“You good?” He asked her, reaching for her arm and giving her elbow a squeeze.

“Yes, I’ll see you at school.” Ahyoung scrunched her nose at him before walking through the doors.

 

 

 

Younghoon stepped out of the hall and saw Ahyoung standing in front of the elevator, waiting for the doors to open.

“Ahyoung-ah,”

She glanced behind him, and he saw her exhale.

“Oppa, please don’t. Just don’t.” She said as he reached her, Younghoon’s brows at her words.

“We had an agreement, my father and I, that I come to the party and join the so-called festivities, as long as he doesn’t bring that woman.”

“I know. I’m just walking you downstairs. Or, offer you a ride home. Whichever you prefer.” He said, he saw how her lips quirked up at his offer.

“I’d really like to be alone, and,”

“Really? You can’t even just endure another hour, Ahyoung?” A voice demanded coming from behind them, Younghoon grimaced and heard his friend hurried footsteps.

Ahyoung didn’t even turn and just stared at the elevator doors.

“Ahyoung, it’s a family event. People have already seen you, the least you can do is stay.” Hyunjae said as he made his sister face him, Ahyoung’s face hardened.

“Stay? Like some dog with a bone?” She shot back, her voice eerily soft. So soft that it irked Younghoon.

“You already said yes, so what if she’s there? You’re seated with our grandparents, she won’t-

“So, you want me to put up with it just because I’m already here? You want me to just let our father stroll around with that woman? He promised, oppa. We made a deal, and explain to me just why he couldn’t hold his end of the bargain when I held mine.”

Younghoon reached for her hand, but the girl pulled hers back.

“Look, I understand you don’t like her, and that you two would be in the same page. But Ahyoung, please..grow up.”

And that was it. Younghoon could see it, the rage, disappointment and anger in her eyes.

“Grow up? Whoa, she must have taken care of you so well that you’d tell me that. Wow.”

Hyunjae paused, realizing how his words were wrong.

“Ahyoung-ah, please.”

Ahyoung was about to open when they heard the double doors open, Juyeon appeared, he was speaking on the phone. He paused when he saw them, and with a small smile he turned towards the floor-length windows.

“How about you quit taking her side, oppa? Or, how about you stop buttering me up into simply taking things as they are?”

Younghoon exhaled and turned away.

“You have no choice, Young. Our parents, are already-”

“Don’t you ing dare bring mom into this. This is about our father and his ability to not listen to what I requested. And, you know what’s worst, brother?” She spat, Hyunjae flinched.

“It’s such a simple request, it won’t even cost him anything.” Ahyoung scoffed, she could feel Younghoon’s gaze on her.

“Ahyoung, we have guests.” Hyunjae murmured as he ran his fingers through his hair.

“Then tell them to enjoy the party.” Ahyoung stated as she walked past her brother and went straight to Juyeon, the latter was surprised to see her rushing to him.

“Hey.” She pressed her lips together.

Juyeon’s brows went up, he could sense the two older males staring at them.

“Hey.”

“Could you..lend me your car? Did you drive here?”

“My parents arrived in a separate one. Do you want me to drive you? Or just the car?” He was already taking his car key from his coat pocket.

“Just the car. Please.” She said, Juyeon could see how she was holding her tears in as she spoke.

“Okay. Go.” Juyeon nodded as he dropped the key onto her palm, Ahyoung gave him a small weak smile before taking the other elevator.

And then she was gone.

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++