038

The Stealer

 

 

 

Juyeon glanced at Sunwoo, the male looked smug as a bloody Jaehyun sat beside them. The school’s principal stood before them, looking unamused.

“Let me get this straight, you found him trying to sneak into the school. And you thought,” The male trailed off, unsure.

“Yes, sir. I thought he was an intruder so; I did what I had to do.” Sunwoo eagerly supplied.

“You had to repetitively throw basketballs to his face.”

“Yes, something similar happened to my old school. Some ert scaled the school walls to harass female students. We were taught to prevent that from happening, by using any means.” He continued on, Juyeon’s brows rose, and he hid his grin.

Sunwoo was really Ahyoung’s Berry, her best friend. 

“And, how does this…How did you get involved in this Mister Lee?” Juyeon felt the male’s gaze to him, Jaehyun remained quiet.

“Ah, yes, I….I was just passing by and got curious when Sunwoo was throwing the balls.” Juyeon recited the story Sunwoo had given him.

“And, you didn’t mind to stop him?”

“It was none of his business, sir. And, Juyeon has a game today, against them.” Sunwoo’s eyes went to Jaehyun briefly, he still had an icepack pressed against his nose.

“Still, attacking a student, Sunwoo, what were you~”

“He was trespassing, sir. If you have any problems with it, I’m sure my parents would love to come over, with our family lawyer.” Sunwoo said smoothly, Juyeon noticed how Jaehyun visibly paled at this. The principal cleared his throat, he looked at Juyeon again.

“You may go, Mister Lee. I wish you luck on your game. Mister Jung, your school called, you have been asked not to participate this afternoon.”

Juyeon sent Sunwoo a look before leaving the room, he halted when he almost ran into Ahyoung.

“How was it?”

Chaerin was behind the girl, looking worried.

“Sunwoo…Sunwoo is the best.” Juyeon stated, Ahyoung broke into a grin, she glanced at the doors briefly.

“What about the other guy? Wait, did you get into trouble too?” Chaerin asked, Juyeon shook his head and pulled the two girls with him.

“Sunwoo’s fine. Jaehyun…has been disqualified from the game.”

“Really? That’s great.” Chaerin hummed along, Ahyoung chewed on her lower lip, her forehead creasing.

“Hey,” Juyeon nudged her, the girl glanced at him.

“Don’t worry, the principal is with them. Sunwoo will be fine, more than fine, actually.” Juyeon said softly.

“Okay, uhm,” The girl paused, Juyeon felt her hand on his, he nodded and laced their fingers together.

“I’ll see you at the game, I…I’m going to get something to drink first.” Ahyoung gave his hand a squeeze before walking away from them.

 

 

 

Younghoon saw Ahyoung approaching the cafeteria doors, his forehead creased, he exhaled and pushed himself off the chair.

“Young-ah,” He spoke, the girl paused, her eyes quickly found him. Younghoon paused, noticing her swollen eyes, he hurried towards her.

“Are you okay?” He blurted out, he was about to cup her face in his hands, but he halted, dropping his palms to his sides.

“Y—Yes, oppa. It’s just..my allergies. I thought you had practice. For next week’s meet.” She said, Younghoon scrunched his nose at her before speaking.

“I’m not exactly feeling my best, I asked coach to give me break. Are you not watching the game today?” He asked as the girl walked with him, they were heading for the vending machines.

“I am. I needed something to drink.” She said, Ahyoung turned to the machines and opted for a grape soda.

“So, you’re talking to me again? Or was it just me?” She asked as she turned to him, Younghoon paused before speaking.

“I’m sorry, sweetheart. School has been keeping me really preoccupied lately.” He said with a smile, Ahyoung scoffed at the return of her nickname.

“I’m sweetheart again?”

“You were never not.” Younghoon chuckled as he opened the bottle for her.

“Then, oppa, let’s watch the game together.”

“I can’t. We have exams next week. I have a lot of reading to do.” Younghoon playfully mussed her hair, Ahyoung made a face at him but she leaned over to give him a quick hug.

“I miss chatting with you, oppa. No, I missed you. So, don’t you ever do that whole avoiding thing again.” She said darkly, the older smile nodded at her.

“Yes, I’m sorry.” Younghoon let go of her, Ahyoung blew him a kiss before turning away from the male. Younghoon let out a breath and watched as the girl exited the cafeteria.

“He better make her happy.” He mused to himself before going back to his seat to grab his bag.

Ahyoung hurried back to the gym, she spotted her friends and Sunwoo was already there, looking smug as hell.

“You.” She said as she sat beside him, Chanhee handed her a bag of chips.

“I did well, huh?”

“I don’t want you going near him, Berry. What were you thinking?” She muttered under her breath, Chaerin glanced at the two, a little worried.

Cherry, it’s not like he could do anything. This isn’t his turf.” Sunwoo calmly explained, Ahyoung exhaled and shoved a couple of chips in .

Cherry, Cherry, I’m okay, see?” Sunwoo flexed his arms for her, Kevin let out a laugh.

“I’m going to kill you myself.” She muttered to herself as she turned away from him, Sunwoo batted his eyes at her before taking a swing from the grape soda.

“Besides, Juyeon can really throw a punch.” Sunwoo commented, Chaerin shushed him, while Chanhee, Kevin and Changmin turned their heads to the newcomer.

“He…what?” Kevin was staring at his fist, Chaerin quickly nodded.

“Juyeon threw a punch? Wow.” Chanhee murmured, their friend was always the most patient, level-headed, and calm one.

“The ex from hell was here.” Chaerin mouthed at him, Chanhee slowly nodded back, he was about to speak when the emcee started announcing that the game would be starting.

Ahyoung was looking at the court, her forehead creasing slightly.

“Of course, he’d protect her.” Chanhee nodded to himself, not catching the grins Changmin and Sunwoo exchanged.

 

 

 

“They won. Yes! Yes!” Kevin cheered along as the crowd went wild, Ahyoung leaned back, her eyes went to Jaehyun briefly. The male was benched all throughout the game and that pleased her.

“Well, good for us. Good for him.” Sunwoo mused, slinging one arm around Ahyoung.

“Yes. Congratulations to us.” She mused back, Sunwoo grinned at her words.

“Juyeon did say we should join the team for dinner.” Changmin informed as they started heading down the steps, Ahyoung was looking at the court, her forehead creasing. She then noticed Juyeon waving her over, she was about to shake her head, but Sunwoo shoved her forward.

“He probably wants to say hi.” He said, Ahyoung glared at him.

“What are you~”

“Hey, you brought a car? Let Juyeon ride with you, we’re going.” Chanhee said to her as the group hurried along. Ahyoung huffed and went down the steps, she made her way to the barricades and walked around him, she spotted Jungwoo and the male waved at her.

“Good game, sunbae.” She spoke to him, the older male winked at her before moving along.

“Congratulations.” Ahyoung smiled at Juyeon as she reached him, the male chuckled before sweeping her in for a hug.

“One more game then, it’s finals, Ahyoung. I think I deserve more than that.” He jokingly said as he slowly put her down, the girl tensed slightly but she broke into a grin.

“I know, I was teasing. You did well.” She scrunched her nose at him, her hands still on his shoulders.

“I’ve been left as your designated driver. I’ll wait outside.” Ahyoung said while raising her car keys to his face.

“Okay, give me a few minutes.”

“No rush.” She said before stepping away from him, Ahyoung let out a shaky breath as she waddled away from the celebrating team.

“Okay, he’s a hugger when he’s excited.” She whispered to herself as she hurriedly exited the building. The girl made her way towards her car, she opened the trunk and tossed her backpack in and she leaned against the vehicle. She checked her messages and paused.

What’s stopping you, Cherry? -Berry

Her brows rose, confused.

What are you talking about? Where are you guys?

We are at this ramen place only a few blocks away, walking here may be a better option. But, really, what’s stopping you? -Berry

Ahyoung closed her eyes briefly, Sunwoo really could be headache.

Please explain, Sunwoo.

What’s stopping you from becoming that guy’s girlfriend? He looks at you as if you’re an angel sent from above, Cherry. I don’t get him, but really, it’s so obvious that you kind of have a thing for him too. -Berry

“Oh my god.” She blurted out as she immediately closed the app, but screen froze. She continued tapping on the screen.

“What’s up?”

Ahyoung jumped and almost dropped her phone, Juyeon blinked at her as he deposited his things into her car.

“I got a text from Chanhee, he advised us to walk there.” Juyeon said as he ran his fingers through his damp hair.

“That…was a quick shower.” Ahyoung blinked at him, the male grinned before replying.

“I’m kind of hungry. Are you good to go?” He asked her, the girl nodded and quickly buried her phone in her coat pocket, Juyeon waited as she locked the car. The two made their way towards the school’s gates, the male paused before extending his arm to her.

“Y—Yes, sure.” Ahyoung hooked arms with him as they walked.

“Are you okay? No..No injuries?”

Juyeon hummed and shook his head as they crossed the street, she puffed her cheeks and nodded.

 

 

 

“Didn’t you two arrive together this morning?” Chaerin spoke as they stepped out of the restaurant, Juyeon nodded back at his friend.

“Then, Ahyoung-ah, can up drop him off? I have three children with me.” Chanhee spoke as she gestured towards Kevin, Sunwoo and Changmin.

“My father’s already on the way, we are to pick up eomma from the airport.” Chaerin said apologetically.

“Okay.” Ahyoung absentmindedly said as she continued texting, Hyunjae had called earlier, asking where she was. Juyeon met his friend’s gaze, Chaerin winked at him. He knew that her mother was in the country, he even saw the elder drop off Chaerin at school yesterday.

“I’ll get going, Cherry!” Sunwoo announced, Ahyoung waved at him, not looking up from the screen, Juyeon sighed as he tugged on the girl’s backpack, preventing her from crossing the street, she looked up and blinked. Their friends were already heading to their cars.

“Huh.” She stated, Juyeon sent her a look and glanced at her phone.

“Oh, oppa said we should have ice cream while watching TV tonight. He’s asking since he’s the one buying.”

“Are things okay?” Juyeon asked as they waited for the pedestrian light.

“Yes, I spoke with Younghoon oppa earlier, turns out he was just busy. But I still think he was throwing a tantrum, but anyway, we’re cool now.” She chirped, Juyeon looked up and urged for her to walk.

“I meant..about what happened earlier.”

Ahyoung grew quiet for a bit, Juyeon heard her sigh.

“I just…I panicked when I realized that he was in the school, and he had access to Sunwoo. I got flashbacks, Juyeon-ah. I remembered how hurt he was, I remember riding the ambulance to the hospital. And I just….” She shook her head and buried her hands in her pockets.

“I’m sorry if I panicked on you.”

“It’s okay. You don’t have to apologize, I’m glad I was there.” Juyeon replied, the girl glanced at him and smiled.

“Yes, me too.”

The two went up towards the school’s parking lot, Ahyoung was about to unlock the Range Rover when she felt Juyeon’s hand on her elbow.

“Hey,”

She blinked and turned to him.

“Can…Can I talk to you?”

“Of course, we can in the car?” She titled her head at him, Juyeon smiled and shook his head.

“I want to say it now.”

“Okay.” Ahyoung was amused, Juyeon seemed on edge. He had been silent during dinner, which was odd since they were celebrating his team’s win. But, she just chalked it off to him still taking it in. Maybe it hadn’t hit him yet.

“Ahyoung-ah, there’s this thing,”

“Is this about the booth thing? Because you know I can’t persuade them to back out of the coffee shop theme. I’m sorry, handsome server number two.”

“No, not that. There’s something I need to tell you.” Juyeon stated, he was looking at her with a worried smile.

“Is this about my Chucky backpack? Because I’m not going to stop using it.”

“It’s not. It’s about me. And you.”

Ahyoung froze, she chewed on the insides of her cheeks and she nodded back at him. Unsure of what else to say.

“Ahyoung-ah, I like you. And I’m hoping you could give me a chance.”

The girl froze, her eyes widened as he finished his sentence.

“You don’t have to say anything now, and I hope that this doesn’t make you feel weird around me. I just wanted to get it out because these days have been difficult for me to be around you and not being able to express that freely. I was worried that you’d~”

Ahyoung was slowly stepping away from him, Juyeon panicked.

“Yes, okay. I—I’ll get going.” She blurted as she turned and ran away from Juyeon.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++