006

The Stealer

“I haven’t seen her, she didn’t even eat with us.” Chanhee murmured as he and Kevin walked back to class. Chaerin had disappeared on them earlier at the cafeteria and they had not heard from her ever since. She even missed their three last classes for the afternoon, and the day was about to end.

“I just hate how those girls think they run the school. They don’t. They’re not even pretty,” Chanhee made a face and crossed his arms.

“She was so stressed back then when Goeun sunbae and her friends gave her a hard time for being friends with Juyeon. I just hope this doesn’t get to her.” Kevin said.

“I still don’t understand why they would torment her over that? Those two grew up together, Chaerin finds Juyeon ugly. I know most girls would disagree.” Chanhee mused, and then he felt Juyeon’s arm on his shoulder.

“And you finally reappear, did you find Chaerin?”

“No, I tried calling her~”

“It looks all better now.” They heard Ahyoung speak as she leaned down rub a wet wipe on the edge of Chaerin’s skirt.

“Ahyoung-ah, it’s fine~”

“No, just a bit more. I know how to use these things because back in my old school, we had this weekly baking class,” Ahyoung continued with a smile while still kneeling by Chaerin’s knees.

“I was always a bit clumsy, so, these and a bit of rubbing alcohol were my best friends.”

“Hey, I can do it myself, you’re going to skin your kness.” Chaerin tugged on her arm, Ahyoung stood up and handed her packet of wipes.

The three boys watched as the new student’s eyes scanned Chaerin’s white shirt again.

“The blue…is no longer a noticeable blue anymore.” She offered, Chaerin chuckled and shook her head in reply.

“When did you buy these things? Did you even eat?”

“What are you two up to? Oh, wow, the stain is barely there.” Kevin approached them, his eyes were on Chaerin’s clothes.

Juyeon lingered behind, he was quite relieved seeing his friend smile. He was worried that Goeun and her group had gotten to her again.

“Ahyoung has a way with stains, surprisingly.” Chaerin mused as she hooked arms with her.

“Have you eaten? We didn’t see you at lunch.” Chanhee asked her, but before anyone could speak, Chaerin spoke again.

“Do you have plans tomorrow? We’re going to see watch a movie, do you want to come?” Chaerin said, Juyeon smiled, he was going to be replaced by the new girl.

“Actually~”

“Ahyoung-ah?”

The group looked up, and Chaerin’s eyes widened. Ahyoung looked at Hyunjae, the older male tapped his watch.

“I’ll wait at the lot. Don’t forget your bag.”

Ahyoung gave him a thumbs up and Hyunjae disappeared through the sea of the students.

“I kind of can’t, I’m sorry.” Ahyoung said while jutting her lips at Hyunjae’s retreating figure, Juyeon stepped away from their group and went in the classroom.

“No worries, we have all the weekends. But, please do hang out with us. Goeun and her friends are probably terrified of you by now, no one’s stood up to them,” Kevin playfully said, Ahyoung actually rolled her eyes before handing the paper bag she was holding to Chaerin.

“I also got you something to eat, I know you skipped lunch. And, more of the wet wipes, you still have some of that Gatorade on your collar.”

Chanhee’s brows rose as Ahyoung took the bag.

“Thanks, Ahyoung-ah.”

The girl shrugged in reply, she was about to walk back to the classroom when she almost collided against someone, she felt one hand on her arm, steadying her.

“Here.” Juyeon spoke as he raised the backpack, Ahyoung blinked at him before taking it.

“Thanks.” She said, Juyeon dropped his arm to his side and nodded in reply.

“I’ll get going, enjoy your weekend.” Ahyoung smiled, and some of their male classmates actually paused to continue staring at her.

“Hard to hate your crush’s girlfriend since she’s so nice, huh?” Kevin teasingly said to Chaerin as they went inside to get their bags.

“She cut class to help you. We love a rebel with a cause.” Chanhee mused as he arranged his things.

Juyeon glanced at the windows and saw Ahyoung walking up to Hyunjae, the two were chatting as they headed to the parking lot.

“She skipped lunch too.”

 

 

 

“This. This is the important thing he wanted me to watch.” Ahyoung grumbled as she leaned back and stretched her legs before her.

“I got invited to watch a movie, but here I am.” She continued as she looked at the pool. She was at her brother’s meet, and it was one of those preliminary competitions too. So, there weren’t a lot of people.

And her brother, being one of the team’s aces, usually won these things. She spotted Younghoon walk out of the locker room, he smiled at her.

Ahyoung stuck her tongue out at him, and he rolled his eyes before joining his teammates.

“I didn’t expect that you’d be here, but hello!”

Ahyoung turned just as her cousin plopped down beside her, she paused in surprise, and then she wrapped her arms around him.

“Hey! I missed you so much, weirdo!” She said, the male chuckled and hugged her back.

“Eomma didn’t want me to go to school until I was in the clear yet, but my flu is gone. And I’m free from prison.” Changmin jokingly said as he leaned back on the bleacher.

“I was so worried.” Ahyoung frowned at him, the male sighed and nodded.

“I’m fine now. I’ll be able to go back to school this Monday, which reminds me,” Changmin pulled the brown paper bag towards them.

“To commemorate Lee Ahyoung’s transfer to Hyundai Senior High, I got us matching backpacks.” He said as he took out the backpack, Ahyoung’s paused as she saw it.

“Oh my god, I’ve been searching day and night for this. Ji Changmin, you’re the best!” She said as she grabbed it from him and ran her fingers through the stitching. The other onlookers were glancing at the cousins oddly. While it may look like an ordinary black backpack, the whole front of it had the stitching of Chucky’s smiling “Good Guy” face even the zipper strap had was a bloodied knife.

“I love it.”

“I know. Use it on Monday, it’s club week, and there’s nothing much to do.” Changmin said.

“Thank you, Changmin-ah.”

“Anytime, Ahyoung-ah. But, how’s school? I feel bad that I wasn’t there on your first day. Have you made any friends?”

“You didn’t tell me that my brother and Younghoon oppa have fans. I almost got in trouble because of it.”

Changmin laughed and nodded.

“Hyunjae hyung is kind of popular with girls, Younghoon hyung…some find him a bit unapproachable since he’s usually quiet, that’s why..they’re curious.”

“Kim Younghoon? Unapproachable?” Ahyoung blinked, confused. Changmin nodded and faced at her.

“He’s not the most talkative type.”

“But oppa’s always been nice.” Ahyoung pointed out.

“He’s only nice to you.” Changmin replied, Ahyoung rolled her eyes and examined the backpack with a smile.

“I’ll make you some granola bars as payment.” She nudged his shoulder.

“As you should.”

 

 

 

Hyunjae chewed on his lower lip as he slowly nestled on his seat, he looked at his father who was smiling as the woman poured coffee for him.

He glanced at the doorway again, his sister had not shown up for breakfast yet. And he was nervous how the girl would react when she saw the woman at their home.

“Your sister?”

“I think she’s just finishing up, abeoji.” Hyunjae replied, he decided to start digging in. And then he heard footsteps, Ahyoung had always opted to wear sneakers to school, instead of leather shoes.

“Ahyoung-ah, let’s eat.” Mr. Lee spoke as his daughter appeared by the dining room’s doorway, the girl paused, her eyes were on the woman who was already seated on the table.

“Good morning, Ahyoung. It’s been a while.”

Hyunjae saw how his sister’s forehead crumpled, then her brows rose.

“Ahyoung-ah, come join us. I know you like~”

“Oppa, I’ll go catch a ride with Younghoon oppa. Don’t chow down your food.” Ahyoung pressed her lips together and turned away, she paused as she head their father stand.

“Don’t.” She spoke, the elder stopped. Hyunjae saw how the woman glanced at the two briefly, she frowned.

“I can leave if she’s uncomfortable.” She softly said, Hyunjae set his spoon down.

“Ahyoung-ah, please just~”

“I’ll get going.” Her tone was icy and then she set off, Hyunjae heard the doors shut close and his father slowly sat down.

“Can you talk to her?”

Hyunjae slowly nodded back and finished his coffee.

“I’ll try, abeoji.”

Ahyoung was muttering under her breath as she walked two houses down, the gates were already open and she smiled at the gardener as she walked in.

“Good morning, ajusshi!”

“Good to see you, young miss. The young master hasn’t left yet.”

“Perfect, I’m here to take advantage of his car.” She mused as she reached the house, she saw Younghoon stepped out from the front doors, he paused.

“You should have called, I would have drove there to pick you up.” He said as he slung his backpack over one shoulder, Ahyoung made a face in reply.

“I have granola bars, if you give me a ride, I can spare a few for you. But they’re really for Q.” She said, Younghoon smiled and unlocked his Audi R8.

“It sounds like you want to give me some, also, it seems like a threat not to eat Changmin’s food.” He grinned as he opened the door for her, his eyes went to her bag.

“Must you use that backpack, Ahyoung?”

“Chucky is adorable.” She pointed out, Younghoon sighed in reply. But then he tilted his head.

“Have you eaten? It is a bit early. Or did Hyunjae forget about you again?”

“No, I…I just didn’t feel like eating today.”

“Why?” He frowned, he saw how the girl chewed on the insides of her cheeks before speaking.

“Abeoji has..a guest. I..didnt want to be part of that.” She murmured as she tossed her bag in the car.

“Okay, let’s get you something to eat on the way.” He said as he reached out to briefly cup her cheek, the girl pursed her lips, thinking.

“How about McDonald’s?” She asked, Younghoon chuckled and nodded.

“As long as we get food inside you, sweetheart.” He said as he gestured for her to get in the car.

 

 

 

Juyeon ran his fingers through his hair as he entered the empty classroom, all of the students were at school grounds, roaming around. It was the first day of club week and everyone was busy downstairs, he looked around, deciding where to put his bag.

He paused, noticing a familiar creepy face amongst the bag.

“Ji Changmin’s back.” He said to himself, he placed his bag on the empty table beside the Chucky backapack and slowly shook his head.

“I still don’t understand why he thinks that thing is adorable.” Juyeon murmured, he made his way to the stairs and went down to search for his friends.

“Lee Juyeon!”

He paused, he saw Changmin and his friends seated at one of the kiosks with their friends.

“Look who’s back!” Chaerin said excitedly as Juyeon joined them.

“How are you feeling?” Juyeon asked as he sat down across Chanhee.

“I’m all good now, but which clubs are we joining?”

“Wait, we haven’t told you yet. Did you see that video of Han Goeun getting all chocolatey?” Kevin asked, Juyeon shook his head and proceeded to open the bag of bread with him.

He started to eat as the group gossiped.

“So, she…bullied you again? With Gatorade this time?” Changmin frowned at Chaerin, the girl sighed and leaned against his arm.

“First, it was because they think I was flirting with Juyeon. Which is disgusting. Now it’s because of I’m friends with Hyunjae’s girlfriend,”

“My cousin has a girlfriend?” Changmin said as he took a piece of bread from Juyeon’s bag.

“I was only gone for a week. Wow.” He murmured in between bites.

“I think she matches better with Hyunjae sunbae, Younghoon sunbae can be a bit~” Kevin was shushed by Chanhee, he jutted his lips towards the grounds.

“They might hear. I don’t want her to think we’re busybodies, I happen to like being friends with the rebel.” Chanhee said, Juyeon grinned and shook his head, he followed his friend’s gazes.

Ahyoung was walking with Younghoon, their arms linked together as the girl chatted in hushed tones.

“Oh, it’s~” Changmin got cut off when Chanhee beat him to it.

“That’s her, the girl Lee Hyunjae and Kim Younghoon are competing for. Our new classmate.”

“What?!” Changmin screeched and dropped his bread.

“W—What did you say?!”

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++