019

The Stealer

 

 

 

“This better not be an everyday thing.” Chanhee stated as they left their tables, Ahyoung grinned at Changmin. Chanhee had been muttering during lunch because of Juyeon and Ahyoung’s weekday adventure.

“So, weekly is good?” Juyeon mused, Kevin sent him a look, Chanhee had the capacity to nag them all day if he wanted to.

“Sure.” Chanhee rolled his eyes at him, Ahyoung chuckled before hooking arms with him.

“I’m sorry, but it’s just that he was in a bad mood, and I kind of needed some air. Next time I’ll invite you.” She hummed as they walked ahead of the group.

“It’s Hongjoong, huh?” Chanhee asked as they went up the stairs, the girl scrunched her nose at him.

“I don’t like…I don’t like pushy guys. And he seems to fall into that category.” She murmured as they reached their classroom. Chaerin and Changmin went to their seats, while Kevin headed to the restrooms.

“He’s always been like that. Very annoying. I feel bad that you have to deal with him. And, pressuring you into going out with him is not cute.” Chanhee nodded and patted her hand, Ahyoung was about to speak when she glanced back. Their classmates were wishing Juyeon good luck on the game later, he nodded and thanked them as he passed by.

“You’re watching the game later, right?” Chanhee asked as they reached their seats, Ahyoung nodded back before plopping on hers.

“It’s my first game here, of course I would watch.”

“That and, your seatmate’s one of the players too.” Chanhee snorted, the girl’s brows rose briefly.

“Right, who are they playing against~”

“Hey.” Juyeon took his seat next to her, Chanhee swiveled around to chat with Chaerin.

“I thought of something.” Juyeon began as he fiddled with his pen, Ahyoung leaned back on her seat and nodded at him.

“Maybe, just maybe, befriending Hongjoong isn’t a good idea.” He said quietly, he felt the girl’s gaze on him.

“You think?” She raised her brows at him, Juyeon snorted and playfully nudged her.

“I don’t think he’s up to any good, Ahyoung.” He carefully said, the girl exhaled and nodded.

“I know.”

“Please don’t meet up with him by yourself.” Juyeon said again, the girl blinked at him and she grinned.

“Now, why would I do meet up with him, Lee Juyeon?”

“Just give me an answer, Lee Ahyoung.” He replied as their teacher walked in, Ahyoung felt him tug at the sleeve of her cardigan.

“I’m not meeting him alone. Happy, now?” She sighed at him, Juyeon smiled and nodded.

 

 

 

“Am I his secretary?” Ahyoung muttered under her breath as she made her way towards the sports center. She had Hyunjae’s oversized Nike duffel over one shoulder as she went up the steps, her brother had practice and he was waiting by the indoor pool.

And said brother left the bag at his classroom, which was why Ahyoung stepped in through the doors and the swim team was now staring at her.

“Lee Hyunjae?” She called out, Younghoon was the first one who spotted her. She broke into a smile as the older male walked towards her.

“Your brother left his bag again?” He asked as he took it from her, Ahyoung nodded before speaking.

“Is he here? I kind of need to go.”

“Are you watching the game?” Younghoon asked her, Hyunjae was already jogging towards them.

“Yes, you guys don’t have to wait up. Changmin brought his car today.” She replied as Younghoon patted tugged on her hair and gently tucked it behind her ear.

“What happened earlier?” Younghoon asked as Hyunjae reached them, the older Lee took his bag.

“Earlier?”

“Right, some of our friends were talking about it. Your friend, Juyeon and Hongjoon apparently almost..got in a fight,” Hyunjae began, Younghoon’s brows rose as the girl tilted her head.

“They used to be okay. I mean, they play for the team. They should be friends.” Hyunjae added as he took a bottle of Gatorade from the table.

“I really have no idea, oppa.”

“Didn’t that guy ask you out? Publicly.” Hyunjae said teasingly, Ahyoung glared at him.

“He did? When?” Younghoon grew curious.

“I don’t want to talk about it, anyway, I’ll get going. Have fun, my favorite fishies.”

“Fishies.” Hyunjae snickered and pinched her cheek, Ahyoung slapped his arm away.

“What if they fought because of you, sister?” The brother suddenly spoke, Younghoon paused and Ahyoung rolled her eyes.

“Please, I barely know the guy, oppa.” She stated before turning away from them and the two watched as she left.

“Which guy was she talking about?” Hyunjae mused as he headed for the locker room, Younghoon simply shrugged and moved away.

 

 

 

Haneul puffed her cheeks as she tapped on Ahyoung’s number again, she heard her classmates waving her over from the bleachers, but she needed to talk to the girl first.

She took a quick glance around them, the covered court was still half-empty, and it was just students from her school milling about, and she knew that it wouldn’t take long for the other school’s students to pile in. It was their homecourt after all.

Haneul groaned as her call went to voicemail again, she climbed up the bleachers and sat down with her friends. Sera grinned and scooted over.

“Well, have you spoken to Young?”

“No, she’s not picking up or her phone’s dead.” Haneul mumbled as the other side of the court started to fill in, she watched as Ahyoung’s new schoolmates appeared.

I think they have better uniforms.” Sera mused, Haneul shook her head.

“But, if you think of it, Ahyoung’s not the type to be actually interested or updated when it comes to school events, maybe she’s not here.” Sera added as their team stepped out of the locker rooms.

“Maybe. T—that’s actually good.” Haneul murmured as Jaehyun appeared, she watched as their coach approached another man across the court. The referees were already there, speaking with some school officials.

“You’re right, she’s probably not even here.” Haneul relaxed and crossed her ankles, her eyes went to Jaehyun again. The older male was already scanning the other side of the court.

“Typical her.” Sera chuckled as she opened a bag of sour cream flavored chips. But the two girls didn’t notice Ahyoung step in the building.

“Wow, it’s your school.” Kevin pointed out as he walked with her.

“Hmm?” Ahyoung hummed distractedly, she took out her phone and noticed that Haneul had been calling her.

Your old school. Right?” Kevin repeated as he tapped her on the shoulder, the girl finally looked up and she halted. She stared at the other side of the gym in silence. That was her old uniform, there was no mistaking the blue and beige.

“Did you not know that we’d be playing against them today?”

Ahyoung was about to respond when she shifted her gaze and now found herself looking at a painfully familiar face.

Jung Jaehyun was staring right at her with a ball in hand.

 

 

 

“We won!” Chaerin yelled as she shook Chanhee by the shoulders, Kevin laughed and glanced at the scoreboard again. Their basketball team had bested the other by twelve points and after shaking hands, players from respective teams had retreated to the locker rooms to shower.

“Hey, did you even watch the game?” Changmin nudged his cousin, Ahyoung blinked at him and nodded.

“Of course, I did.” She muttered, Changmin tilted his head at her.

“I didn’t know we’d be playing against them.” She said under her breath, Changmin snorted and looked at her.

“It was on the announcement board this morning.”

“I cut class!” She hissed at him, Changmin slowly shook his head at her.

“Your ex is here.” He hummed softly, Ahyoung shushed her cousin just as the players reappeared, already showered, and changed.

“Can you not?” She shot him a look as Chaerin and Chanhee stood up, Kevin followed them while the two cousins lingered at the back.

“You two never…spoke, huh? After…what happened.” Changmin turned serious, he glanced at the girl as they went.

“No.” Ahyoung replied, her gaze was on the court again.

“What if he wants to, Ahyoung-ah?” Changmin said quietly, his eyes went to Jaehyun. And his brows went up, the male was looking at her cousin.

Changmin chewed on his lower lip as he observed the male, Jaehyun had pulled away from his teammates. He was already making his way towards them, Changmin tensed, if the male approached his cousin, he had no idea how Ahyoung would react.

Jaehyun was only a couple of meters away from them now, he was about to open his mouth when Changmin heard Juyeon.

“Ahyoung-ah?” He called, Ahyoung looked up and she broke into a smile.

“We’re getting something to eat. We should celebrate.” Chanhee hollered over while waving one hand at them, Changmin glanced at Jaehyun again.

“Congratulations, seatmate. You did well.” Ahyoung spoke as she walked into his outstretched arm.

“How did you know I did well? You were staring at your phone.” Juyeon said teasingly, the girl blinked at him, but he chuckled as he slung his arm over shoulders.

“I wasn’t.” She shot back, Juyeon rolled his eyes at her before taking her backpack.

“I’m hungry.” Ahyoung said as they followed their friends.

“Me too.” Juyeon mused, not noticing how he unconsciously pulled the girl closer to him as they passed by Hongjoong and his friends.

And failing to also notice how the captain of the opposing team was still staring at them. Jaehyun exhaled and pressed his lips together as he studied Ahyoung’s side profile.

He could see how her lips were curling up as the tall male spoke to her, their heads bent towards each other. And then she laughed at something he said. His eyes went to the arm around Ahyoung’s shoulders, Jaehyun’s forehead creased and he diverted his gaze.

“Who’s that?” Jungwoo walked over to him, the latter didn’t speak and walked away.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++