Up Against Ms. Korea

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jieun scrolled on her laptop, thinking of what to post about on her blog. It’s a Saturday and she’s off work (miraculously!) but Jihoon was off to an important business meeting with investors, so they weren’t able to plan a date. Tired, and a little under the weather, she decided to stay in and spend a lazy Saturday on her own.

Shortly after, she heard the soft pitter patter of rain falling.

A sigh involuntarily escaped from her lips.

I just can’t shake it off.

Like a woman possessed she did what she was trying not to do for three days: google Hanee.

It was a pretty depressing activity from the onset. Just as she pressed “enter” on her keyboard, the webpage gave her the news article on Lee Hanee winning the Miss Korea crown in 2006. She was 23 years old then and boy was she perfect. Sun-kissed, tall, and built.

Jieun sub-sonsciously looked at her own petite frame and wanted to curse at herself for even thinking of googling Hanee.

She continued snooping and saw photos of Hanee placing 3rd runner-up on the Miss Universe 2007 pageant. As if they had a mind of their own, her finger clicked on the video of Hanee walking the runway in her two-piece bikini, and seeing just the first few seconds made her confidence shrink to the size of a pumpkin seed.

She also found out that Hanee is not only gorgeous, but also a graduate of the prestigious SNU, just like Jihoon’s ex, Taehee. That, and the fact that Hanee is also a classical musician, made her chuckle mirthlessly. Not sure why she’s still doing this to herself, she then proceeded to lurk on Hanee’s instagram page. It took quite a lot of scrolling, but she finally found it. It was an old post from 2010, Hanee was hugging Jihoon from the back, and it had the caption: The best oppa in the world! Thank you for spoiling me!

She closed the laptop a little too forcefully and leaned back on the couch.  Her hands went up to her temples, massaging them, the beginnings of a headache coming.

Giving in to this urge of stalking Hanee felt like a trap. It fed her insecurities, but it also somehow felt comforting, because it showed her just what kind of threat she’s up against. Jihoon never made her feel like she’s not enough for him, but the history between him and Hanee, and Hanee having otherworldly looks and smarts, it makes her feel so insecure for some reason. Her brain wouldn’t stop comparing herself to Hanee, and even to Jihoon’s longtime ex, Taehee and suddenly it seemed a little muddy to her why Jihoon would even like her.

Her phone beeped, a welcome distraction from her depressing and insecure thoughts. It was Inna sending a funny football emoji in their football group chat. She saw Jihoon’s icon pop up with the three dancing dots, beside it.

“You all better be ready because Jieun and I make a kick- team. See you tomorrow!”

She smiled when Jihoon sent a video from one of their agility workout sessions. It was funny because Jihoon got one of their pivot sets right, one which he was struggling with since they started training together, and he was dancing like a crazy person in front of her and Si Eon.

Ahh. Just when I started having paranoid, groundless, jealous thoughts, this pabo made me remember.

She’s not even sure if Jihoon likes football, but he started coming with her to her friendly games with Inna, Dongwook and their other football friends a few months back. He even managed to force Si Eon to join as well. The mini games with the bets started becoming a bit competitive, thanks to Jihoon’s fixation on making everything a competition. This spurred on a request for Jieun to help him become a better football player, and it was so fun teaching him. Her favorite sport and her favorite person in the whole world in one perfect package? It’s a dream.

Jieun slept that night feeling excited about their football game, and Hanee related thoughts completely forgotten.

**

She couldn’t keep her laughter to herself as she watched Jihoon doing his warm-ups. Other people might think they’re going against a professional team with his over the top preparations.

“Yah, what’s with that look?” Jihoon said, looking amused.

“You need to tone it down, oppa. We’re not competing in the world cup.”

Jihoon walked up to her and playfully placed an arm across her shoulders, locking her firmly to his side. He was whispering dumb jokes to her ear when a familiar face made her entrance to the futsal court. Jieun knew that Inna and Dongwook reserved the place for them for two hours, so it didn’t make sense seeing someone else coming in. It was Hanee, clad in all white football gear, looking so damn athletic and effortlessly beautiful.

Jihoon, noticing how her gaze  was firmly fixed on the court’s entrance, he followed suit, wanting to know what got her so focused. When his arm’s grip started to loosen from her shoulders, it prompted Jieun to look at him inquiringly, and she understood that he knew. It’s either: he knew that Jieun was bothered about seeing Hanee, or worse, he knew that Hanee was coming and he’s in trouble.

“Jieun…let me explain…” He mumbled, his eyes looking worried.

His words seem to confirm that’s it’s the second scenario and her face started getting hot from annoyance.

Jieun was pretty sure her face told him exaclty how she felt about this little surprise.  She can’t even bring herself to respond because she couldn’t find the words to say.

In no time, Hanee was already approaching their group, looking all sunny and excited. Even Dongwook couldn’t keep his surprised expression to himself and Inna had to elbow him repeatedly to remind him to behave.

“Hi! How’s everybody doing?” Her gaze swept their little group. The look on Hanee’s face told her that she can see the awkwardness her presence brought to their little party. 

“Mianhe…Jihoon oppa invited me, I hope I’m not intruding.” She apologized, but her tone was far from apologetic.

Jieun was fuming.

Jihoon invited her? And didn’t e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter