Reality Bites

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yeah. I got it, you don’t have to keep nagging me.” Jieun paused and took a deep breath.  “Sorry, Hanteo.”

Jieun put down her phone and leaned back on her chair. It’s only been two days since she got back to Seoul and it’s already stressing her out. She expected to atleast miss the hustle and bustle of the city and the tight schedule, but she actually doesn’t. She’d rather help out grumpy old Youngja and play with Janguny than deal with Hanteo’s nagging. But of course, she deserves all of it. She seldom acts out on her impulsive urges, and Hanteo gets anxious whenever she does that. The last time almost cost her her career, and probably her life..but today’s not a good day to dwell on that. She has better things to think about.

She and Jihoon have been in constant contact since they got back. It’s nice, but she prefers sitting next to him while he reads, and she plays with the dogs.

A sigh escaped her.

Is this what I’ve become? A lovesick puppy?

Inna used to tell her trhat being in love impairs her rational thinking. And maybe she’s right. All she wants to do is go back to the countryside and live a simple life with the man of her dreams. It doesn’t make sense, but right at that moment, it seemed like the only thing she wanted to do. Even if it means she has to jog every morning for the rest of her life.

Her phone beeped. It was Hanteo, reminding her not to be late for their meeting with SBS.

During the entire drive, Hanteo was giving her the cold shoulder. Jieun can’t really blame him. He was probably at the end of his rope when she didn’t answer his calls and messages for more than a week.

On their way to the conference room, she nudged him, trying to make small talk.

“Yah, will you ever talk to me again? I said sorry already.”

All she got was a frown. It took a few moments before he finally turned to talk to her.

“You know I hate it when you don’t return my calls. You’re the artist that I manage, but you’re also a friend. I was worried.” Hanteo crossed his arms. His face clearly showing his frustration. “What happened to you?”

“I just went on a trip, then I got stuck because of the storm.”

Hanteo stared at her, his face pretty much telling her he’s not buying it.

“I know there’s more to that..but I’m not even going to ask. If you do that again, I’m quitting. After that accident..last time…I don’t think I can’t take going through something like that ever again.”

Jieun wanted to joke about it, but she knows Hanteo is just being a big brother. He looks like he’s aged 5 years since she left, and she’s sorry because it’s her fault. The accident she got involved in more than a year ago left an unforgettable memory on both of them. It’s the reason why Jieun stopped driving, and why she’s careful about making “friends” with people she works with.

The accident happened around the time she was shooting for the drama Scarlet Heart. For the duration of the shoot and the airing of the drama, there were rumors that she was dating her co-star Lee Joongi. Although but both of their agencies denied it,  it was true. She was with him for more than eight months..and it was a rollercoaster ride. She can’t even remember how it started – it was like being swept off her feet. But then their relationship turned sour when Joongi became a little too suspicious when she goes out with her friends, and even when she hangs out with some of their male co-stars from the show after a shoot. The accident happened when she was driving and they got into a big fight. Her agency and Hanteo did leaps and bounds to keep it under wraps, and to get Joongi as far away from her as possible. It’s also probably the reason why she’s not too keen on entertaining suitors like Junghoon, although she likes him.

“Stop thinking about it, Jieun. It’s okay. I was just worried..you know I got your back. But please. Please be careful.”

She reached out to touch both of Hanteo’s hands and gave them a squeeze.

“What would I do without you?”

Hanteo finally smiled a sad smile, and told her they have to hurry if they want to get to the meeting on time.

Jihoon and Changmo were already there when they finally got to the conference room,. When she waved hi to both of them, Jihoon motioned towards an empty seat beside him. She had to fight back a big grin.

“How are you, Jieun? I heard you went on vacation.” Changmo asked, after telling her that it’s been a while since he’s last seen her.

Jihoon caught her eye and they shared a small smile.

“Yeah…I did. Just a little getaway to rest.”

“That’s nice. The preparations for the album has been so hectic. You needed that.”

She nodded and turned her attention towards the SBS PDs who called for the meeting. They laid out the planned activities for the episode that they will be doing. The atmosphere turned a little awkward when Changmo mentioned that RAIN Company would appreciate it if the show would stick to the duo’s album rather than other personal matters – which is a subtle way of saying that Jihoon will not be entertaining any questions about the recent news about him and Taehee.

Overall, the meeting went well. Shooting will happen in a few days, and Jieun is thrilled. She can spend time with Jihoon under the guise of work, and it’s a win-win.

On the way back to their respective cars, Jieun remembered she has to go and meet Si Eon for lunch.

“Right now?” Jihoon asked.

“Yeah.”

“That rascal. He asks you out  and he never even replied to my message yesterday.”

“Some people have favorites, Oppa. You just have to deal with it.” She teased.

“I’m coming with you.” Jihoon insisted.

“So what’s it going to be? Do you need me to drive you there..or are you going with Jieun?” Changmo confirmed.

She exchanged a look with Jihoon and they agreed to just go together. Hanteo gave her a pointed look, but she reassured him she’s going to message him if she needs anything.

“I’ll drive, hyung. You can go for now.” Jihoon told Changmo.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah. I’m going home after, anyways. I don’t have anything scheduled after this, right?”

“Right.” Changmo fished out the keys out of his pocket and handed them to Jihoon.

They waved goodbye to Hanteo, who kept saying “message me” to Jieun, and to Changmo who was too happy to be free at such an early hour.

“Gosh our managers are so different. Hanteo is like my mom; he’s sweet but he nags a lot.”

‘It’s because you can be a brat sometimes. You need helming, Jieun.”

 

That got him a got a glare from her, and he just laughed in response.

“So what is this business with you coming with me to lunch? Si Eon didn’t even invite you.” She prodded when they were inside his car.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter