Never Have I Ever

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jieun

“You’re going to Si Eon oppa’s party with Junghoon?” Inna asked, not able to hide her incredulous tone.

Jieun scoffed before responding. “Why is it so difficult to believe? Junghoon is nice to hang out with.”

Inna gave her a knowing look that Jieun found a little annoying.

“Jieun, didn’t you tell me that Jihoon oppa kept saying something about that guy? Besides, don’t you feel sorry for him? It’s not like you’re actually dating him.”

Jieun momentarily switched her gaze from her closet to her friend who was sitting on her bed.

“Jihoon oppa said so himself..he was out of line. And what do you know…I just might date Junghoon. We’ve been hanging out a lot lately.”

She heard Inna sigh audibly.

“I don’t know what you’re up to. But if you’re doing this just to convince yourself that you’re okay with Jihoon and you just being friends, then I think it’s a bad idea. But that’s just me.” Inna said in a resigned tone.

“If only you can come with us, it would be so much better, Inna.”

“Why, so I can babysit you? No way. Besides, I already promised Dongwook we’re leaving for our trip tonight. I can’t go back on my word.”

Dongwook is Inna’s longterm boyfriend, and they’re the only reason Jieun still believes that true love exists, aside from her parents.

“Fine. Just say hi to Dongwook for me.” She paused and put the dress she picked from the rack before her, checking on the mirror if it looks great.

She didn’t want to look like she tried hard to look too nice, but she didn’t want to look shabby either. Inna might be a little spot on – she’d been thinking about what to wear since two days ago, and she’s going to kid herself if she denies that the reason behind this is because Jihoon was going to be there. She can atleast admit that to herself, she’s not THAT delusional. It’s not like she’s going there to flirt with him; that’s not part of the plan if she’s going to move on from him sooner rather than later. Besides, another thing had been on her mind: will he bring Taehee there?

She shook that last thought from her mind and focused on her dress.

“Yah, it’s taking you forever to choose what to wear. That seems nice, you should wear that.” Inna blurted out, a bit impatiently. She was supposed to give Jieun a ride to Si Eon’s before going on her trip. Junghoon said he was just going to meet her at Si Eon’s; he’s running late because of a rescheduled gig.

“Are you sure? Isn’t it too plain?”

Inna eyed her suspisciously.

“Jieun, you’re attending Si Eon’s party, not a blind date. That dress is more than fine.”

She made a face at Inna and grudgingly agreed. She chose the white off-shoulder dress with a blue floral pattern.

When Inna parked in front of Si Eon’s house, she repeatedly reminded Jieun to behave.

“I completely advice against you drinking even a drop of alcohol. I don’t trust what you’ll do.”

“Aigoo, are you my mother’s spokesperson now? Arasso, I won’t drink.” Jieun laughed. “I don’t trust myself either.”

Inna chuckled at her honest response.

“Drive safely and enjoy your trip!” Jieun said as she waved goodbye.

Walking up to the steps leading to Si Eon’s house, she could hear lively music drifting through the air. There seems to be quite a few people already; but knowing her Si Eon oppa, he wouldn’t be inviting a large number of people. He’s the type to have quite a small circle and Jieun loved that about him.

“Drink, miss?” Said the waiter who approached her, bearing a tray of cocktails.

“Do you have anything without alcohol?”

“We can get you non-alcoholic sparkling wine.”

“Sure, thanks.”

The waiter bowed and went to the kitchen.

Jieun people-watched, nodding and smiling at familiar faces, but not seeing the face he was expecting to find.

“Looking for someone?”

Jieun turned to see Si Eon behind her.

“Oppa, happy birthday!” Jieun handed him a small box. “Hope you like my gift.”

Si Eon took the small box and set it aside with the other gifts, then gave her a thank you hug.

“I wasn’t even sure if you could come. You’ve been working non-stop. Hanteo looks like he wants to quit.”

Si Eon’s remark made her laugh, but she didn’t say anything. Si Eon would immediately know that she’s lying in case she makes some excuse. It’s true she’s been enjoying work lately, but it wasn’t the only reason why she wanted to keep working, to the point that she barely have any time off.

The waiter came back and handed her a glass of non-alcoholic sparkling wine. Si Eon led her to an empty spot on the bar where they could talk.

“It’s unlike you to keep working like this…you never once invited me to look at records or grab a bite since that last lunch we had.” Si Eon added, his gaze never leaving her.

The last lunch he’s referring to was that lunch the three of them had together about two months ago before everything imploded. She’s not even sure if Si Eon is aware of how things are between her and Jihoon.

She met Si Eon’s gaze and she could tell that he knew. Maybe not everything, but some of it.

“I just want to make sure you’re okay, Jieun.”

“Oppa, it’s your birthday, it’s not the time to worry about me. And trust me, I’m fine.”

“You don’t need me to punch Jihoon for you?” He said jokingly.

“Pfft..I can do that on my own…and no, Jihoon oppa and I, we’re good.” She paused, unable to look at Si Eon in the eye any longer. “W-we’re friends.”

She could still feel Si Eon’s gaze on her, probably not buying her “I’m okay, we’re friends” bull. Maybe it’s true for Jihoon, but to her, she’s still getting there.

Jieun was having a hard time keeping Si Eon’s questions at bay, and was relieved when she heard cheers from a nearby group of guests. Curious about what the fuss is about, she turned to look at the direction of the ruckus, which she immediately regretted.

It was Jihoon and Taehee, greeting a number of people.

They looked like the guest of honor, as if everyone was waiting for them to show up, and Jieun felt that familiar stab of pain she felt back when they saw each other accidentally in the convenience store months ago. The thing is, they looked so damn perfect that even her subconscious is aware that her feelings are irrelevant – this couple was made for each other. Jieun knew that there was a possibility that they would come to the party together, but she still wasn’t prepared. She thought she was, but apparently she isn’t.

Lost in her thoughts, she grabbed a drink from the circulating waiter, n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter