Somewhere in the Middle

Sunbaenim!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jihoon was half aware of his surroundings. The familiar feel of the couch seemed to embrace him to sleep.

Ahhh this feels wonderful. I need to sleep, my head is killing me.

He used the sofa’s arm as his pillow, and drifted off to sleep. What’s unusual is that he could still hear soft voices, and the sound of the door closing, although it feels like his entire being is floating towards a land far, far away. He thought he slept for a while, when he suddenly felt something on his face.

Maybe it’s a dream.

He could feel something softly tracing the bridge of his nose, his lips and touching the stubbles on his chin. When what felt like a pair of lips touched his, he knew this felt too real to be a figment of his imagination.

What’s happening, Jihoon?

Brushing off the confusion (he kept debating whether he was asleep or awake), he opened his eyes and was surprised to see Jieun sitting on the floor beside the couch where he was. He scrubbed his eyes with his fist, trying to see if it was just a dream, but Jieun was still there.

It’s real.

She was intently looking at her hands, but he could tell she was in deep thought.

Did she just kiss me?

In that short moment, a million things ran through his mind. Jihoon has known for a while now that Jieun saw him as more than a sunbae. He can’t recall when he started noticing the little things, but it gradually made sense to him. The fact that she was his fan as a young girl. The way she cared about him to the point of going to an unknown location just to persuade him to come to his senses. She didn’t have any money or plan on what to do in case it backfires on her. Who does that?

Jieun did. She did that for him, and he didn’t deserve that at all.

And maybe this is why he was so angry at her that day, when they were on the bridge. He didn’t want this extra complication of having someone around who has feelings for him..when he’s still stuck in a state of limbo over his failed relationshop.

But when Jieun said she’s leaving, out of the blue, it came like a punch in the gut. He became used to having her around, like a warm blanket on a cold winter day. He didn’t want to admit that to her or to himself. When Youngja called to scold him and ask what’s happening between the two of them, he couldn’t even give her a direct answer. Apparently Jieun told her he’s been acting strange lately..and she’s not wrong.

What’s wrong with me?

He can’t even decipher his own emotions. One day they were having drinks after work, the next she’s announcing she’s leaving. But what bothers him the most is why he reacted like he did. He was mean to her, when all he wanted to ask was “why are you leaving so suddenly?”

As he tried to rack his brains for an answer, he held out his hand and grabbed her wrist. He wants to see her face.. to know what she’s thinking about. When she finally looked up to meet his gaze, there was a look of embarrassment and something else he couldn’t decode.

Their eyes met for what felt like eternity – and there were no words needed. At least to him. Because at that moment, he saw Jieun as a woman. And maybe that’s what this is. The confusing feelings about having her around and all that.

Alarm bells rang on his head when he reached out to tuck her hair behind her ear and touch her face, yet he still did it. He knew it was going to make things complicated, but he kissed her anyway.

When he pulled away from her, he can confirm that he’s indeed attracted to Jieun. He can’t deny it. But all men probably are – Jieun is wonderful woman, that, he came to know in the months they’ve been working together. The thing is – what does he do about this? It’s not like he wants to be in a relationship so swiftly after the one with Taehee imploded.

“I-I think I need to go to bed now.” Jieun blurted out before he could even say anything, leaving Jihoon lost in his thoughts.

**

Jieun has been awake for an hour, but she was too scared to go out. The clock told her it’s 7 am. She has to get ready soon if she’s going to catch the 8 am bus to Seoul.  When she heard a knock on the bedroom door, her heart stopped.

Ottoke!! How do I face Jihoon?

She kicked the blanket around and pulled on her hair, frustrated and not sure of how to approach Jihoon after last night’s misadventure. She still can’t wrap her head around the fact that she actually stole a kiss from him. But the fact that he kissed her back still doesn’t make sense. That look he gave her after, that’s not the look of someone who doesn’t know what’s he doing.

“Jieun, open up.”

How can he come here so brazenly as if nothing happened? Aghhhh.

She grudgingly got out of bed and straighted up a little. Opening the door a little, she peeked at him. He looked normal. He doesn’t look like his world is falling apart, unlike her.

Swallowing hard, she replied. “Yes?”

“I need to get changed.”

“Ah..sure. I need to get ready too. I’m taking the 8 am bus.”

He gave her a look that seemed to burn a hole through her face.

“No. You know we need to talk. Come with me, let’s walk the dogs. Then we can talk.”

She wanted to say no so bad, but the look he gave her said this was non-negotiable. All she was able to say was, “Sure.”

She took Janguny, while Jihoon took Sarangy. They took the path where Jieun once saw Jihoon jog a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter